est1892

est1892 (https://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Sports (https://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   2021 Tennis (https://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=89979)

Buzzo 02-09-18 11:39 PM

Yeah, Nothing wrong with it, crosses the net and lands in play. It’s just not typical you could get or be that wide to return a shot. Can’t happen on most courts because there is either a net or a fence in between courts, or you are running on the coutt next to you. That’s assuming a mortal could get there...!

It’s an outrageous shot, because Kyrgios hits a brilliant drop shot. So to get it back (look at Rogers starting position) is incredible, but from that wide... unbelievable.

Worth watching this because it includes Kyrgios reaction.


Liverpool 02-09-18 11:52 PM

the nets used in doubles and he's knackered, his awareness that the ball is so wide when he's going to reach it to know it needs a poke around the net than lift it over is unreal genius

Buzzo 04-09-18 09:58 PM

Cracking match between Del Porto and Isner right now.

Also big shock last night with John Millman dumping Roger out.

What a top bloke Millman seems, amazingly humble in victory.

RichC 05-09-18 07:06 AM

What a match Nadal vs Thiem was. Well worth watching

Buzzo 05-09-18 07:41 AM

Sounds like a classic..!

Delpo v Nadal could be interesting. Delpo was cramping up as his game v Isner was played in oppressive heat and humidity and Nadal will have a few miles in the tank after his match. That said, I don’t think they are on court until Friday.

Buzzo 07-09-18 10:26 PM

Delpo v Nadal in a first set TB.

Cracking match up.

C’mon Delpo :rock:

Buzzo 07-09-18 10:32 PM

Del Porto takes the first set :rock:

Also. How bald is Rafa becoming these days..! Clinging on to hair up top.

Buzzo 08-09-18 01:47 AM

Rafa pulled up at the end of the second set.

So Delpo v. Looks like Novak (2 sets up)

Buzzo 08-09-18 02:31 AM

Nishikori gave everything but lost in straight sets.

3,4,2

Djokovic looking very impressive.

If Del Potro serves as he has been doing, and can get the ball on his forehand then he has a chance. Iíd also imagine Del Potros languid style between points will infuriate Novak, but he is the favourite.

Should be a classic.

RichC 08-09-18 10:39 PM

Sounds like Williams has thrown her toys out of the pram.

Buzzo 08-09-18 11:00 PM

Yeah, had a game awarded against her at 3-4 down in the second set because of verbal abuse.

:haha:

Unbelievable.

Buzzo 08-09-18 11:04 PM

Feel for Osaka.

Crowd booing as before she gets presented with trophy.

The moment has been totally ruined for her.

RichC 08-09-18 11:19 PM

Yup, poor tbh.

Williams calling the umpire a thief, I mean what did she think would happen

Liverpool 08-09-18 11:25 PM

unbelievable poor form from her

Zapater 08-09-18 11:31 PM

I haven't been watching properly but saw a video of it, it's not even the first time she's done it. When Sam Stosur beat her, she was shouting at the official saying that she was 'ugly on the inside' and threw a general fit. No idea how people think she displays good sportsmanship.

Commentators going on and on about how well Serena handled the interview like she's a saint. No... she's a narcissistic drama queen that doesn't know how to handle losing. Feel sorry for Osaka.

Buzzo 08-09-18 11:32 PM

Yeah, umpire played it by the letter of the law.

She was getting coached, she did break a racquet, and she did abuse umpire.

It was all because Osaka was absolutely destroying her.

Poor form. Bad loser.

Zapater 08-09-18 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzzo (Post 3503059)
Yeah, umpire played it by the letter of the law.

She was getting coached, she did break a racquet, and she did abuse umpire.

It was all because Osaka was absolutely destroying her.

Poor form. Bad loser.

Not even the reason she lost.

On top of it, I see that people are already making this a gender inequality case about females being targeted. Absolute madness.

Buzzo 08-09-18 11:43 PM

She’s in press conference now.

Her coach has literally been on TV and admitted to it, as Serena has been denying it saying she doesn’t know what he is on about. She clearly responded to it - the message was obvious to stop letting Osaka push her back.

Could be interesting when Serena and her coach meet up :haha:

Red_Polo 09-09-18 04:23 AM

Absolutely destroyed Osaka's moment. Williams tried to claw it back at the trophy presentation when she finally realised she wasn't the only person that mattered. Too late. Biggest moment of Osaka's career and she's in tears with loads of booing. Terrible.

RichC 09-09-18 07:34 AM

Third time sheís done this now Clijsters, Stour and now Osaka. Terrible loser. The shame is she was outplayed regardless of the meltdown and the umpire doing his job. Osaka was brilliant and fully deserved winner

She got warned for coaching - admitted by coach, point deducted for second warning for smashing a racquet and then for her tirade at the umpire has a game deducted after calling him a thief and heíll never share her court again. Seems an obvious case of sexual discrimination against Williams whoís clearly done nothing unsporting or untoward in all of this :rash:

Buzzo 09-09-18 09:44 AM

I’m definitely uncomfortable with Williams throwing in an accusation of sexism.

Though she does have some valid points. I’ve never seen anyone be docked a game before, and that is with seeing some pretty serious wigouts. She did come across as overly emotional, but would a man who may come across as more aggressive have been treated in the same way?

She did refer to the umpire as a liar and a thief, which is personal and perhaps crossed the line. The thing that Serena chooses to ignore is that she is also using the weight of her reputation as a weapon against the umpire. He definitely seemed to be left with little choice.

However, Ultimately she has no one to blame but herself, and she needs to respect the fact that there are two people on court - but in respect of the game and Williams opponent perhaps the umpire could have given her a final warning before docking her the game. This would probably have allowed Osaka to enjoy her moment and for the combination of Serena and the umpire to not ruin the final.

RichC 09-09-18 10:04 AM

Thing is she was giving a warning for the coaching then a further warning for the racquet break, following the rules that was the next step, do you really believe another warning would have diffused the situation ? She was miles out of control already and let’s be honest we’ve seen this from her before.

Her press conference she seemed to blindly ignore what she’d done and focuses on it being down to sexism and she’s fighting for the rights of other females. She was basically totally in the wrong and trying to deflect her behaviour by using the sexism card takes away from the actual issue imo.

Buzzo 09-09-18 10:09 AM

Yeah, I ultimately agree with that.

I think though, if the umpire had managed to try and defuse the situation - not that’s his job - by giving her an audible final warning then he may have rescued the end of the match.

Saying that. As you say she was out of control and she only just recovered it on the podium.

Seeing someone who has just won their first slam, against her idol and become the first slam winner of either sex for her nation in tears before receiving her trophy was pretty shocking. She could barely raise a smile as she was getting her photo taken with it.

It was surreal.

labourRed 09-09-18 10:26 AM

Definite shame for Osaka but I'm less critical of Williams than some on here. To give a game away in a final is unheard of.

As for the first warning, that's the harshest one for me. If they are to insist on a no coaching rule then penalise the coach by sending him to the stands. The final violation was over the top and not consistent with other games either IMO.

Chris 09-09-18 10:58 AM

That was pretty funny, she really is an absolute brat when she's losing.

Ramos didn't really do anything wrong and he's always been a fussy fucker with male or female, white or black. Don't remember him giving any game penalties before but then I don't remember anyone calling him a "liar", a "thief" or saying they'd make sure he'd never officiate one of their games again so...!

Kenneth 09-09-18 11:28 AM

"I have a daughter" was the best bit.

Zapater 09-09-18 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth (Post 3503085)
"I have a daughter" was the best bit.

:haha: No parent in the history of mankind has ever cheated.

Between using this as fuel for a feminist drive and others using it as an excuse for the reason she lost makes me lose even more faith in humanity.

Red_Polo 09-09-18 12:11 PM

It's a reasonable question as to whether men get the same letter of the law punishment. I don't know the answer. I do know it doesn't excuse her behaviour and the way it shafted Osaka.

Buzzo 09-09-18 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth (Post 3503085)
"I have a daughter" was the best bit.

:haha:

New parents are a fucking nightmare :D

Buzzo 09-09-18 12:38 PM

In other news, Jamie Murray secured his sixth doubles Slam yesterday :rock:

Buzzo 09-09-18 09:39 PM

Good start Delpo. Stays on serve, but he is having some success on Novaks serve.

Crowd well behind him which will get on Novaks nerves big time.

Buzzo 09-09-18 10:07 PM

Delpo throws away 40-0 and within moments its first set Novak

6-3.

Buzzo 09-09-18 11:07 PM

Delpos forehand is fucking savage.

This game has been going for 15 mins :haha:

Buzzo 09-09-18 11:11 PM

Novak has been serving for 20 mins :haha:

And holds.

4-4.

Buzzo 09-09-18 11:13 PM

Novak morning about one of the balls.

:sigh:

:rolleyes:

Buzzo 09-09-18 11:41 PM

Amazing from Novak.

Del Porto has thrown everything at him and loses the set in the TB.

Only one winner from here.

Buzzo 09-09-18 11:44 PM

96 minutes second set :jaw:

Scratch 11-09-18 07:31 PM

Any thoughts on the Serena cartoon published in the Aussie paper? Racist and sexist, or just a bit of humour? Myself, I'm firmly on the humour side of it, its just a comedic caricature of Serena having a toddler tantrum.

I also think she has disgraced the woman's game a little, took it too far and rather than apologise, is now spouting some bull about blazing a trail for other women to be able to do the same as her...well, guess what Serena, I don't think they will be.

This isn't the first time she's had an on court meltdown, I doubt it will be the last and it's telling how very few female players (still playing) are coming forward in her defense.

Red_Polo 11-09-18 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch (Post 3503326)
Any thoughts on the Serena cartoon published in the Aussie paper? Racist and sexist, or just a bit of humour? Myself, I'm firmly on the humour side of it, its just a comedic caricature of Serena having a toddler tantrum.

I also think she has disgraced the woman's game a little, took it too far and rather than apologise, is now spouting some bull about blazing a trail for other women to be able to do the same as her...well, guess what Serena, I don't think they will be.

This isn't the first time she's had an on court meltdown, I doubt it will be the last and it's telling how very few female players (still playing) are coming forward in her defense.

There were definitely some racist tropes in that cartoon at the very least. Unconscious bias.

Buzzo 11-09-18 07:56 PM

There are some good articles which explain the fight Serena has had since being a little girl to get to where she is.

Even now The French Open banning her from wearing her catsuit is incredibly sexist, and that’s without going into the racism’s she has and probably still does experience.

She’s an incredible woman and athlete.

In the heat of the moment, could she have handled things better? Yes. Definitely. Could the umpire have managed the situation better given what was at stake. Yes, definitely.

Is there sexism towards woman’s tennis? Yes, definitely.

Kenneth 11-09-18 08:08 PM

Are the two issues connected in the way she has tried to imply, probably not.

Buzzo 11-09-18 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth (Post 3503336)
Are the two issues connected in the way she has tried to imply, probably not.

Yep, she chose the wrong moment to make the point.

I suspect there is a pent up frustration, but it definitely wasnít the time to bring it up, nor was it relevant because the umpire was within his rights.

Ruining Osakaís first slam is unforgivable, and she canít even back down and apologise now.

Kenneth 11-09-18 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red_Polo (Post 3503329)
There were definitely some racist tropes in that cartoon at the very least. Unconscious bias.

I don't think so. The trope is caricature itself. Historically, black features have been caricatured to dehumanise and ridicule. But that doesn't rule out caricature as an art form ever representing black people again. I don't think anyone could have drawn a cartoon in a caricature style and avoided the claims of racism that have been made, and I don't think a professional caricaturist has to avoid a topical story because it centred around a black person having a tantrum.

Kenneth 11-09-18 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzzo (Post 3503337)
Yep, she chose the wrong moment to make the point.

I suspect there is a pent up frustration, but it definitely wasnít the time to bring it up, nor was it relevant because the umpire was within his rights.

Ruining Osakaís first slam is unforgivable, and she canít even back down and apologise now.

I guess it's up to Osaka whether it's forgivable. As bad a taste as it leaves for spectators, I guess it's really an issue for the two individuals to reconcile. I expect Serena will attempt to make amends privately.

Red_Polo 11-09-18 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth (Post 3503338)
I don't think so. The trope is caricature Historically, black features have been caricatured to dehumanise and ridicule. But that doesn't rule out caricature as an art form ever representing black people again. I don't think anyone could have drawn a cartoon in a caricature style and avoided the claims of racism that have been made, and I don't think a professional caricaturist has to avoid a topical story because it centred around a black person having a tantrum.

All of that is half-true in general, but it fails to address the cartoon itself and ignores the fact that if someone genuinely can't make a caricature of a black person without recalling Sambo or placing them in a simian pose, maybe they ought to try a little harder. The fact Osaka is depicted as a little white blonde girl says it all. I don't doubt there was no racist intent. But there's more than a smidge of unconscious bias in it.

Zapater 11-09-18 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzzo (Post 3503333)
There are some good articles which explain the fight Serena has had since being a little girl to get to where she is.

Even now The French Open banning her from wearing her catsuit is incredibly sexist, and thatís without going into the racismís she has and probably still does experience.

Sheís an incredible woman and athlete.

In the heat of the moment, could she have handled things better? Yes. Definitely. Could the umpire have managed the situation better given what was at stake. Yes, definitely.

Is there sexism towards womanís tennis? Yes, definitely.

Indeed. Females play 3 sets (which doesn't differentiate a major from any other tournament) and rarely play much more than an hour but earn the same prize money as men who slog it out in5 hour 5 setters. The TV coverage difference is vast, but 'parity' is required, apparently.

Buzzo 11-09-18 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth (Post 3503340)
I guess it's up to Osaka whether it's forgivable. As bad a taste as it leaves for spectators, I guess it's really an issue for the two individuals to reconcile. I expect Serena will attempt to make amends privately.

Yeah, Osaka idolises her.

Itís a bit of a shit sandwich really. Itís cliches but tennis is the loser. I hope Osaka gets another chance.

Buzzo 12-09-18 10:30 AM

One thing with Tennis, the almost pugilistic nature of the sport is often overlooked, so in some ways it is amazing that these flash points dont happen more often.

Of all the sports I watch (and it is the only one I still play) it is also probably the one which is the most sporting, and has moments of great humanity given the high stakes.


Buzzo 27-09-18 03:47 PM

:rock:

Quote:

Britain's Andy Murray beat world number 11 David Goffin - his highest-ranked opponent since returning from hip surgery - to reach the Shenzhen Open quarter-finals.

Shaggy 28-09-18 07:09 PM

Lost to Verdasco ffs. Season over.

RichC 11-10-18 09:28 AM

Good on him

Quote:

Rafael Nadal opens his tennis academy centre to Majorca flood victims
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/45820609

labourRed 19-11-18 09:11 AM

Zverev seems like the new tennis superstar, i wonder if he'll have the same competition that the likes of Federer and Nadal had.

RichC 19-11-18 10:09 AM

I'll be surprised if he doesn't make it No1 and win some majors. Not sure who else is coming through at the moment

Buzzo 19-11-18 10:56 AM

Yeah, he looks class beating Federer and Novak in back to back games is impressive - needs to prove it over 5 sets at a Slam though. Agree, doesn't seem to be anyone else of his level coming through.

Really confident on court interview at the end also.

Interesting to see he has just taken Lendl into his camp also, and straight away achieves his biggest win.

RichC 19-11-18 11:17 AM

The most likely to move into their shoes IMO are the likes of Shapalov, Khachanov and Tsitsipas

Khachanov won the Paris masters the other week and the other two have been knocking on the door for a while

Thiem obviously as well but he's been around the top 10 for a while.

Not sure we'll see the levels we've seen with Nadal, Federer and Djokovic for a while again though

captainfog 06-01-19 08:39 PM

Andy Murray is finished, isn't he :(

Kenneth 06-01-19 10:17 PM

I would think he probably is, yes.

Fosterbloke 06-01-19 10:31 PM

What happened to Andy Murray?

labourRed 06-01-19 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainfog (Post 3526315)
Andy Murray is finished, isn't he :(

He was a few years ago, sadly it doesn't look like the surgery was a great success. Brutal sport, tennis.

Lecter 07-01-19 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by labourRed (Post 3526337)
He was a few years ago, sadly it doesn't look like the surgery was a great success. Brutal sport, tennis.

That hip injury finishes most athletes

Long term I bet he needs to have a hip replacement which will definitely end his career


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.