est1892

est1892 (https://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Liverpool FC (https://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Nat Phillips (https://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=91115)

Charly 02-12-20 04:23 PM

Good enough to stay as a 4th choice?

baitman 02-12-20 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charly (Post 3673925)

Obvs fabinho can step in as DM, but with a decent 4th choice (alongside vvd or matip) then fabinho is free to resume his midfield duties.

Shaggy 04-12-20 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charly (Post 3673925)

Tbh I don't think so. Sounds harsh given how well he's done but no, not for me Clive.

danperkins 04-12-20 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaggy (Post 3674217)
Tbh I don't think so. Sounds harsh given how well he's done but no, not for me Clive.

:handshake:

Exiled_red 04-12-20 09:08 PM

Surely he needs to move somewhere to get first team football, he might get games here this season because of the injuries, but when everyone's fit he's probably 5th choice at best (after VVD, Gomez, Matip and Fabinho). At his age, 23 now, 24 by the time the season ends the harsh reality is it's time to move elsewhere. Hopefully he can leave having picked up a PL winners medal :D

baitman 05-12-20 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exiled_red (Post 3674327)
Surely he needs to move somewhere to get first team football, he might get games here this season because of the injuries, but when everyone's fit he's probably 5th choice at best (after VVD, Gomez, Matip and Fabinho). At his age, 23 now, 24 by the time the season ends the harsh reality is it's time to move elsewhere. Hopefully he can leave having picked up a PL winners medal :D

If gomez and matip stay fit, then Philips is 4th choice assuming Fabinho isn't needed in midfield.

Given the way keita, thiago, ox and shaq are we really need fabinho back in our midfield, moving Philips up to 3rd choice.
He will get plenty of game time here and will be a useful player for us.

SB 05-12-20 12:14 PM

Yeah I can see him get more game time than anyone could have expected at the beginning of the season.

Buzzo 05-12-20 01:47 PM

I didn’t realise Nat Phillips was Jimmy Phillips (Bolton and Boro player) ‘s son.

Robbie-9-Fowler 05-12-20 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaggy (Post 3674217)

I'd agree.

His form is good though and he might be setting up another Edwards masterpiece if someone like Burnley want to cough up some money.

kubrickscube 29-01-21 12:17 AM

Old fashioned centre half. No libero , lacks pace , but in terms of aerial ability and strength hes an asset. Plus by the looks of him, after matches he goes back to his secluded lodge, wrestles bears and fells trees. Good on yer Nat.

Shaggy 29-01-21 12:21 AM

That header when he nipped in ahead of Son at the end was great and I guess what he's all about. We need him to be superhuman over the next few weeks, but tbh I'm expecting some sort of calamity ffs. :haha:

Zapater 29-01-21 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kubrickscube (Post 3688987)
Old fashioned centre half. No libero , lacks pace , but in terms of aerial ability and strength hes an asset. Plus by the looks of him, after matches he goes back to his secluded lodge, wrestles bears and fells trees. Good on yer Nat.

:haha: Glad you're not part of our scouting department. We'd have signed half of the Championship by now.

S-RED 29-01-21 09:07 AM

God damn basic 6ft+ bruising centre half, but all heart & gives you everything he has.

Fair play to him, he is living the dream at present & good luck to him.

S-RED 29-01-21 09:09 AM

Anyone else think Klopp took him out early for the 2nd half, so Pep could drum in to the rest of the team how to protect him without shattering his confidence ;o)

frank the tank 29-01-21 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S-RED (Post 3689026)
Anyone else think Klopp took him out early for the 2nd half, so Pep could drum in to the rest of the team how to protect him without shattering his confidence ;o)

might be a good point alright.....

I think he is a reasonably good footballer but just doesn't suit our high line game. When Leicester won the league, they did so with Huth and Wes Morgan as their defenders. In a different team that defend deep, then Phillips would be a very good player. Someone like West Brom, Sheff United, Stoke etc he'd be first choice.

Big-Red-Ed 29-01-21 10:09 AM

Apart from that first dive in I thought he did well. He had good positioning, won all of his battles and even his passing was good. Not everyone can be like Virgil.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

Angryred 29-01-21 11:00 AM

Yep, was pleased to see that he did well against dangerous opposition so will benefit from the confidence gained...will be utilised a bit more from here on in so will be useful from here on in. However, he will make mistakes but will learn from them with good coaching around him

Mr Pink 29-01-21 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big-Red-Ed (Post 3689045)
Apart from that first dive in I thought he did well. He had good positioning, won all of his battles and even his passing was good. Not everyone can be like Virgil.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

The fact he had to play the whole half on a yellow, and did so, so well speaks volumes about him too. That header he won to take it away from son was awesome- if hes a millisecond off there, hes walking..

Exiled_red 29-01-21 03:36 PM

I think regardless of potential or where we see either of them being come the end of the season or a few years time IMO Phillips is the better option for us at the moment. He seems to have a street-wise knowledge of the game he's a fairly big unit and willing to take a booking for a cynical foul where necessary, Williams just seems a bit naive and that inexperience has cost us a couple of goals.

danperkins 29-01-21 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exiled_red (Post 3689191)
I think regardless of potential or where we see either of them being come the end of the season or a few years time IMO Phillips is the better option for us at the moment. He seems to have a street-wise knowledge of the game he's a fairly big unit and willing to take a booking for a cynical foul where necessary, Williams just seems a bit naive and that inexperience has cost us a couple of goals.

:handshake: don't rate either but would have Philips ahead of Williams without question.

danperkins 31-01-21 07:26 PM

Solid today and that's all you want from him, never going to be a world beater but done well today imo. At least with him you know what you're going to get. Ahead of Williams every time. Good game again.

Fivex 31-01-21 07:28 PM

Roboklopp 31-01-21 07:28 PM

Aye, :respect:

Irishnev 31-01-21 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danperkins (Post 3689771)
Solid today and that's all you want from him, never going to be a world beater but done well today imo. At least with him you know what you're going to get. Ahead of Williams every time. Good game again.

:handshake: Well get 15m for him in the summer :crackoff: :haha:

danperkins 31-01-21 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irishnev (Post 3689781)

:haha:

cannotmakeit 31-01-21 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irishnev (Post 3689781)

18m

baitman 31-01-21 07:34 PM

I have been calling for him to play rather than trying to let williams gain experience at the expense of our struggling team, we need to be solid at the back and Nat is no frills.
You're welcome.

Fivex 31-01-21 07:35 PM

You didn't have to be the Oracle to see that mate.

Slinky Skills 31-01-21 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitman (Post 3689788)
I have been calling for him to play rather than trying to let williams gain experience at the expense of our struggling team, we need to be solid at the back and Nat is no frills.

You're welcome.

Spot on mate! We're far better with him at the back, plus he's not made of Rice Crispies like Matip.

BG1973 31-01-21 08:09 PM

Is he better than this Davies chap?

baitman 31-01-21 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fivex (Post 3689789)
You didn't have to be the Oracle to see that mate.

Many lads calling him a donkey, too slow, no prem experience, etc :rolleyes:

Having the experience and foresight to not expose himself and then get caught out in a sprint (like joe gomez) will do for me.

Fivex 31-01-21 08:10 PM

Nah, many lads rightly saying he shouldn't be anywhere near our first team... but don't remember anyone on here saying he was worse than Williams.

He's always done well (within his ability) when he's played.

baitman 31-01-21 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fivex (Post 3689826)
Nah, many lads rightly saying he shouldn't be anywhere near our first team... but don't think anyone was on here saying he was worse than Williams.

Many preferred the pace of williams rather than nat.

Fivex 31-01-21 08:13 PM

The pace of Williams? They're both as slow as each other? :confused:

cannotmakeit 31-01-21 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitman (Post 3689827)
Many preferred the pace of williams rather than nat.

Many prefer the pace of Gomez.

RichC 31-01-21 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitman (Post 3689825)
Many lads calling him a donkey, too slow, no prem experience, etc :rolleyes:

Having the experience and foresight to not expose himself and then get caught out in a sprint (like joe gomez) will do for me.

You do understand the way we play including defending is set out by the manager ?

baitman 31-01-21 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichC (Post 3689833)
You do understand the way we play including defending is set out by the manager ?

:sigh: :crackoff:

RichC 31-01-21 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitman (Post 3689844)
:sigh: :crackoff:

Well do you ?

Instructions will have been given to the players. Clearly Hendo is being asked to bring the ball out from the back and Phillips will have been given his much like VVD or Gomez etc..

Rich 31-01-21 08:22 PM

Decent again today. He sure knows how to get his head on the ball.

Just keep things simple and hes fine.

Just need to use him when we can play to his strengths.

RichC 31-01-21 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 3689852)
Decent again today. He sure knows how to get his head on the ball.

Just keep things simple and hes fine.

Just need to use him when we can play to his strengths.

Did really well today