est1892

est1892 (https://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Liverpool FC (https://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Nat Phillips (https://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=91115)

danperkins 01-03-21 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitman (Post 3698224)
Given how uncertain the availability of gomez and matip is then imagine how solid a pairing of philips and vvd would be.
Its never been more clear that having a squad isnt the safeguard it should be when many of them are rarely available.

I suppose he'll get to the end of the season to prove if he has a place in our CB options. Done well so far to be fair to the lad.

S-RED 01-03-21 02:11 PM

knocking on the door for the Euros, surely ...................... ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,

danperkins 01-03-21 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev776 (Post 3698229)
He has done well considering he has played next to 3 or 4 different players so credit to him but to think he will be first choice next season is nonsence. When all are fit he is fighting for 5th choice with Davies. If Klopp doesn't sign Kazbak he will go find another CB as 4th choice.
A good solid but limited player with an excellent attitude, he will do somebody a fine job in the championship or lower level PL.

:handshake:

Buzzo 01-03-21 02:14 PM

Looks tougher with new hairdo also 👊

baitman 01-03-21 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev776 (Post 3698229)
He has done well considering he has played next to 3 or 4 different players so credit to him but to think he will be first choice next season is nonsence. When all are fit he is fighting for 5th choice with Davies. If Klopp doesn't sign Kazbak he will go find another CB as 4th choice.
A good solid but limited player with an excellent attitude, he will do somebody a fine job in the championship or lower level PL.

Btw, i wasnt suggesting he was a top class CB who should be 1st choice if we never had any injury issues.

I was suggesting that if he were playing alongside vvd then we'd see a more so balanced performance than we see when he plays alongside kabak who himself is a little shaky...

Jaco_Pastorious 01-03-21 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitman (Post 3698253)
Btw, i wasnt suggesting he was a top class CB who should be 1st choice if we never had any injury issues.

I was suggesting that if he were playing alongside vvd then we'd see a more so balanced performance than we see when he plays alongside kabak who himself is a little shaky...


VVD is so good you could play me alongside him and have me not look a total clogger.

Robbie-9-Fowler 01-03-21 04:24 PM

Out of the unknowns:

Williams
Phillips
Kabak

He's impressed the most. He has a stand out attribute. He's great in the air, whilst not actually worse on the ball or really slower than the other 2. I think he deserves a lot of credit for his performances and it's a little strange he was overlooked (for Williams especially), but that will likely change.

Big-Red-Ed 01-03-21 04:29 PM

He is also really brave in the air. Really goes for it even if its going to hurt. I like how he keeps it nice and simple and he reads the game well.

YNWA

wiw 01-03-21 04:30 PM

I'd honestly be pretty happy having him as 4th/5th choice

frank the tank 01-03-21 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbie-9-Fowler (Post 3698259)
Out of the unknowns:

Williams
Phillips
Kabak

He's impressed the most. He has a stand out attribute. He's great in the air, whilst not actually worse on the ball or really slower than the other 2. I think he deserves a lot of credit for his performances and it's a little strange he was overlooked (for Williams especially), but that will likely change.

i agree.

Our first 3 center backs are Virgil, Matip and Gomez. Because the main man has just had a horrendous injury - the type that could mean he never reaches the peaks of before - and the fact that the other 2 are made of poppadoms, then there is an argument that we should have 6 center backs. Hopefully we would never need #5 or 6 but this season we have needed them. I'd be happy enough to have Nat as #4, 5 or 6. He might be better off heading off somewhere he would play more, but if he is happy here then we've had a lot worse before.

The club will have to make a call on Matip and Gomez though. If they aren't likely to recover to the levels that they were at before, then it might be time to prioritise a CB - a better one that Kabak - as a priority for the summer.

Jaco_Pastorious 01-03-21 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbie-9-Fowler (Post 3698259)
Out of the unknowns:

Williams
Phillips
Kabak

He's impressed the most. He has a stand out attribute. He's great in the air, whilst not actually worse on the ball or really slower than the other 2. I think he deserves a lot of credit for his performances and it's a little strange he was overlooked (for Williams especially), but that will likely change.


He wasn't overlooked for Williams though. Not pre January anyway.


Williams played in the CL games as Phillips was not registered to play in the group stages.

Irishnev 01-03-21 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev776 (Post 3698229)
He has done well considering he has played next to 3 or 4 different players so credit to him but to think he will be first choice next season is nonsence. When all are fit he is fighting for 5th choice with Davies. If Klopp doesn't sign Kazbak he will go find another CB as 4th choice.
A good solid but limited player with an excellent attitude, he will do somebody a fine job in the championship or lower level PL.

:handshake:

Robbie-9-Fowler 01-03-21 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious (Post 3698264)
He wasn't overlooked for Williams though. Not pre January anyway.


Williams played in the CL games as Phillips was not registered to play in the group stages.

In the CL yes, but there has been times outside of that when Williams has started over Phillips if I am remembering correctly.

Jaco_Pastorious 01-03-21 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbie-9-Fowler (Post 3698287)
In the CL yes, but there has been times outside of that when Williams has started over Phillips if I am remembering correctly.


Seem to recall that Klopp used Phillips for some PL games and Williams more for the CL and cup games.

Robbie-9-Fowler 01-03-21 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious (Post 3698303)
Seem to recall that Klopp used Phillips for some PL games and Williams more for the CL and cup games.

Yeah you're right he did, I just have a memory of Williams starting a couple of league games as well. Maybe we were still trying to figure things out, it's been a difficult experiment.

If Henderson stayed fit I think I'd be really positive about the end of the season. I still have hope, I just think losing him on top of everything else is a huge blow.

Jaco_Pastorious 01-03-21 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbie-9-Fowler (Post 3698304)
Yeah you're right he did, I just have a memory of Williams starting a couple of league games as well. Maybe we were still trying to figure things out, it's been a difficult experiment.

If Henderson stayed fit I think I'd be really positive about the end of the season. I still have hope, I just think losing him on top of everything else is a huge blow.


Him being fit and Fabinho being fit and in the centre would have me being more confident as well.

I see Alisson, Gomez, VVD, Henderson and Fabinho as being the foundation upon which the team is built now.

We have other world class players like Salah, but as we have seen the past few month, take out our solid core and even someone as lethal as Salah cannot cover up how soft we are through the centre.

Irishnev 01-03-21 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious (Post 3698303)
Seem to recall that Klopp used Phillips for some PL games and Williams more for the CL and cup games.

Phillips wasn’t in the original CL squad hence not being picked - something to do with their being no room as we didn’t plan for the 5 lads ahead of him in the pecking order getting injured :haha:

Slinky Skills 01-03-21 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious (Post 3698257)
VVD is so good you could play me alongside him and have me not look a total clogger.

He's not that good mate! :crackoff:

Jaco_Pastorious 02-03-21 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slinky Skills (Post 3698387)
He's not that good mate! :crackoff:

:D

HamboCairns 02-03-21 12:23 PM

He's better than Harry Maguire. A backhanded compliment perhaps but true nonetheless.

Paul12 02-03-21 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norbs (Post 3698238)
He's intelligent too

So he'll be useful in the Trivial Pursuit quiz on the coach back from away games!

Jaco_Pastorious 02-03-21 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foresterbloke (Post 3698437)
He's better than Harry Maguire. A backhanded compliment perhaps but true nonetheless.


Me or Phillips? :crackoff:

danperkins 02-03-21 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul12 (Post 3698441)
So he'll be useful in the Trivial Pursuit quiz on the coach back from away games!

:haha:

Lee 10-03-21 10:10 PM

At his age and given that he’s shown enough over the last six months to be a capable PL defender, he’s probably going to want to move on in the summer.

If he’s happy being fourth choice here then I’m happy with that, providing we still sign a top-quality CB to partner Virg. Exceeded all of our expectations.

labourRed 10-03-21 10:23 PM

Yeah. With hindsight it was ridiculous he wasn't trusted earlier on. He's not done much wrong and it's been said quite a few times in match threads and what not.

And he reads a ball in the air better than Gomez ever did.

danperkins 10-03-21 10:44 PM

Outstanding commited display

Buzzo 10-03-21 10:51 PM

Superb tonight.

Not trusting him sooner may be one of Klopps biggest mistakes for us.

Irishnev 10-03-21 10:52 PM

He’s an old style CB and with a proper shield in front of him he looked v solid, great headers and interceptions. Kabak v good beside him

Rich 10-03-21 11:05 PM

Did really well, think he reads the game pretty well. Just his pace which sets him back really.

Happy to see him do so well

Slinky Skills 10-03-21 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzzo (Post 3701247)
Superb tonight.

Not trusting him sooner may be one of Klopps biggest mistakes for us.

Yep, wish he'd just gone with him from the offset and we might not have been in this mess in the first place.

Slinky Skills 10-03-21 11:23 PM

Haha! :haha:


Slinky Skills 10-03-21 11:24 PM

I fucking love him, he's savage and super brave too. I'd like to see him and VVD form a central pairing next year.

Roboklopp 10-03-21 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slinky Skills (Post 3701275)

Haha

Peter_Griffin 10-03-21 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slinky Skills (Post 3701276)
I fucking love him, he's savage and super brave too. I'd like to see him and VVD form a central pairing next year.

Was this today’s word of the day on the bog roll mate? :D

BigChief 11-03-21 12:28 AM

Every header is like his last, because any game may well be his last for us. Not the first time I've seen big, strong opposition strikers back out of headers when he's around. They're not risking their careers with this maverick. :rock:

SB 11-03-21 05:27 AM

He’s certainly proving a few people wrong lately , not that I expect a retraction from anyone though. ;) They’ll just wait for a slip up & wham :crackoff:

HamboCairns 11-03-21 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SB (Post 3701308)
He’s certainly proving a few people wrong lately, not that I expect a retraction from anyone though. ;) They’ll just wait for a slip up & wham :crackoff:

I've always rated him. Cake Pass Babtridge

SB 11-03-21 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foresterbloke (Post 3701316)
I've always rated him. Cake Pass Babtridge

:handshake: Like all youngsters he’ll make mistakes & unfortunately in his position they can cost us the game, but if our high profile strike force was converting some of the chances presented to them it wouldn’t be an issue in the youngsters development. I hope he stays fit & makes the most of his chances.

dizzycat 11-03-21 08:12 AM

He is like an old school italian centre back, minus the violence.

Irishnev 11-03-21 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzycat (Post 3701328)
He is like an old school italian centre back, minus the violence.

And the ability to play out from the back.......he defended the box very well but for the way we want to play he is too slow and gives the ball away too much. Don’t get me wrong I am delighted for him and he is all heart which many other players can learn from but we need to be ruthless this summer and if we can ever make decent money for him it will be this year.

We should have sold Divock right after the champions league final as his value was never higher but we passed on that also.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.