est1892

est1892 (https://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Liverpool FC (https://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Roberto Firmino (https://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=87707)

BobTheCharmer 17-12-20 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzzo (Post 3678095)
I agree. He definitely had one of his best games in ages. Was picking some great pockets of space, and keeping the ball well. When his touch is right and he is not giving the ball away you know he is on it.

Had 2 or 3 shots at goal and then the header was a bullet.

:handshake:

Exiled_red 17-12-20 12:08 AM

Hopefully this will give him a confidence boost and he can go on a bit of a goal scoring run, as he's tended to be a patchy goalscorer.

Fredo 17-12-20 12:10 AM

He’s never going to be a goal scoring machine. Never has. Good luck with that guys.

Cormack74 17-12-20 12:10 AM

I reckon he's had a confidence boost from Jota being out of the picture for a few weeks (months?) ;)

baitman 17-12-20 12:12 AM

Hes been edging for far too long, but proper emptied his sack there.

#gushing :rock:

Buzzo 17-12-20 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredo (Post 3678106)
He’s never going to be a goal scoring machine. Never has. Good luck with that guys.

Nobody is saying that though? He had one of his best games in ages, that is totally accurate.

He isnt going to get 20-30 goals per season, but the fact he is getting more involved in moves and is having some shots is a good sign, a sign that he is playing better if you will.

Exiled_red 17-12-20 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitman (Post 3678109)
Hes been edging for far too long, but proper emptied his sack there.

#gushing :rock:

:haha: :chunks:

BG1973 17-12-20 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer (Post 3678081)
I didn't think so. He actually looked dangerous by having a few shots. He's gone runs of games without even threatening the goal. I know it's not all about goals but for me if you play in a team whereby the midfield offer little goal threat, your centre backs offer little from set pieces and you have nowt left on the bench, you need to chip in or at least create danger. He did it very well. He didn't give the ball away much either tonight. The goal capped a better all round game.

When you have 76% possession playing a wall, you're going to take a few shots.

The Bobby debate will run on forever. It wasn't an issue last year when we won every game but it is this year. Personally don't understand why he is singled out.

Maybe it's Mane's turn now.

BobTheCharmer 17-12-20 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BG1973 (Post 3678129)
When you have 76% possession playing a wall, you're going to take a few shots.

The Bobby debate will run on forever. It wasn't an issue last year when we won every game but it is this year. Personally don't understand why he is singled out.

Maybe it's Mane's turn now.

Pretty simple really. If you win games, most stuff is forgotten. Who really cares if you get 3 points? If you don't win games its natural to look at why. To win games you need to score. Sometimes salah or mane won't score so someone needs to step up. I really don't understand the issue.

Fredo 17-12-20 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzzo (Post 3678116)
Nobody is saying that though? He had one of his best games in ages, that is totally accurate.

He isnt going to get 20-30 goals per season, but the fact he is getting more involved in moves and is having some shots is a good sign, a sign that he is playing better if you will.

He plays better when the team and the movement around him is better. That's what I always felt with Bobby. When we're struggling, more often than not his game will be off as it relies on players around him getting into pockets so that he can knit his game around.

As for his goalscoring record, I see this being mentioned in here too often. That's not his game and never has been. If he scores 20 goals a season it's going to be the exception rather the rule. He gets himself into great positions at times but he's not a no 9.

Paul12 17-12-20 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzzo (Post 3678095)
I agree. He definitely had one of his best games in ages. Was picking some great pockets of space...

Partly to do with the way Spurs played. They pressed the wider men so much there was a bit more space for Bobby.

greenturnip 17-12-20 09:55 AM

Bobby has always been a fine header of the ball. It helps. Sadio just needs a break...

Shaggy 17-12-20 12:14 PM

Great stat. He might not score loads of goals but Christ he scores nearly all the big ones.


Buzzo 17-12-20 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaggy (Post 3678271)
Great stat. He might not score loads of goals but Christ he scores nearly all the big ones.

https://twitter.com/BassTunedToRed/s...38122388267013

That is a good observation, he seems to love a heat of the battle winner.

PSG, Wolves away last season (quite a similar game to last night actually) and then last night all spring to mind.

Based on how jubilant I feel this morning, the team must be flying :rock:

Shaggy 17-12-20 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzzo (Post 3678286)
That is a good observation, he seems to love a heat of the battle winner.

PSG, Wolves away last season (quite a similar game to last night actually) and then last night all spring to mind.

Based on how jubilant I feel this morning, the team must be flying :rock:

Southampton away, Palace away, WCC final, big goals :rock:

Roboklopp 18-12-20 12:21 PM

Scum?

Jaco_Pastorious 18-12-20 01:47 PM

Nah Shaggy is an alright bloke :crackoff:

dizzycat 18-12-20 03:38 PM

His reaction after scoring that goal is one of the few things that has put a smile on my face this year. The essence of humanity expressed through pure joy.

Kenneth 14-02-21 03:39 PM

It's three years since Bobby was under investigation after Holgate made up a racial abuse accusation to avoid a red card for violent conduct. Time really flies.

Buzzo 21-02-21 01:36 AM

What a frustrating player.

Unplayable on his day, but that day is about 1 in 8 games at the moment.

Had at least four chances today. One deflected for a corner, two pea rollers and one shanked into the stands.

He must do better. He seems way too chilled out, feels like he needs to be a bit angrier and more demonstrative. He is just so casual. Needs a bit more of a killer instinct infront of goal. Right now he works hard and delivers nothing.

Fredo 21-02-21 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzzo (Post 3696274)
What a frustrating player.

Unplayable on his day, but that day is about 1 in 8 games at the moment.

Had at least four chances today. One deflected for a corner, two pea rollers and one shanked into the stands.

He must do better. He seems way too chilled out, feels like he needs to be a bit angrier and more demonstrative. He is just so casual. Needs a bit more of a killer instinct infront of goal. Right now he works hard and delivers nothing.

On the contrary, I think he's forcing it way too much and overthinking it.

Zapater 21-02-21 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzzo (Post 3696274)
What a frustrating player.

Unplayable on his day, but that day is about 1 in 8 games at the moment.

Had at least four chances today. One deflected for a corner, two pea rollers and one shanked into the stands.

He must do better. He seems way too chilled out, feels like he needs to be a bit angrier and more demonstrative. He is just so casual. Needs a bit more of a killer instinct infront of goal. Right now he works hard and delivers nothing.

Hard to judge a players level of self critique based on external body language. For all anyone knows he could be in pieces or furious internally whilst exuding a different demeanour.

danperkins 22-02-21 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzzo (Post 3696274)
What a frustrating player.

Unplayable on his day, but that day is about 1 in 8 games at the moment.

Had at least four chances today. One deflected for a corner, two pea rollers and one shanked into the stands.

He must do better. He seems way too chilled out, feels like he needs to be a bit angrier and more demonstrative. He is just so casual. Needs a bit more of a killer instinct infront of goal. Right now he works hard and delivers nothing.

:handshake:

If we had a fully fit side I would be surprised if he wasn't on the bench. I'm getting a bit tired of saying Bobby is quality but...

He has been so poor over the last year or so apart from a few games here and there & I wonder just how much longer we will stick with him if this dismal form continues.

Irishnev 22-02-21 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danperkins (Post 3696597)
:handshake:

If we had a fully fit side I would be surprised if he wasn't on the bench. I'm getting a bit tired of saying Bobby is quality but...

He has been so poor over the last year or so apart from a few games here and there & I wonder just how much longer we will stick with him if this dismal form continues.

His form started to lag over a year ago and the hard work with intermittent flashes of genius don’t cut it anymore. When Klopp came in he focussed on the attack and worked on defence afterwards. I think we need a CB to partner VVD and we equally need a centre forward to score goals

Buzzo 22-02-21 01:50 PM

I wouldn't be against us bringing Grealish in. He is class. I was a sceptic, but he looks amazing in every game I see him play. He is constantly producing, good with the ball in pretty much every area of the pitch. And Prem proven.

Obviously a bit of a 'character' but I dont see that as a massive problem.

danperkins 22-02-21 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irishnev (Post 3696600)
His form started to lag over a year ago and the hard work with intermittent flashes of genius don’t cut it anymore. When Klopp came in he focussed on the attack and worked on defence afterwards. I think we need a CB to partner VVD and we equally need a centre forward to score goals

:handshake:

Absolutely, he is a fan favorite so I get why people jump to his defence but if you are a centre forward at LFC you have to score goals. It's as simple as that and his numbers have dropped off over the last while. I can't believe someone with that much quality has such a poor strike of a ball, either that or it's lack of composure.

Exiled_red 22-02-21 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzzo (Post 3696602)
I wouldn't be against us bringing Grealish in. He is class. I was a sceptic, but he looks amazing in every game I see him play. He is constantly producing, good with the ball in pretty much every area of the pitch. And Prem proven.

Obviously a bit of a 'character' but I dont see that as a massive problem.

I haven't seen much of him as I hardly watch other teams games just highlights. Is Grealish not just given effectively a free role at Villa and wonder if he could reproduce that form somewhere else where he has a more defined role.

Also what is his work rate like?

danperkins 22-02-21 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzzo (Post 3696602)
I wouldn't be against us bringing Grealish in. He is class. I was a sceptic, but he looks amazing in every game I see him play. He is constantly producing, good with the ball in pretty much every area of the pitch. And Prem proven.

Obviously a bit of a 'character' but I dont see that as a massive problem.

I've been a sceptic too but he's a fabulous player, not sure if he has the discipline to play under Klopp as he seems more of a free spirit. I just wonder will we fall so far this season that we won't be considered by the top tier lads? The best guys want to be playing in the champions league after all. I see United written all over Grealish

Jaco_Pastorious 22-02-21 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzzo (Post 3696602)
I wouldn't be against us bringing Grealish in. He is class. I was a sceptic, but he looks amazing in every game I see him play. He is constantly producing, good with the ball in pretty much every area of the pitch. And Prem proven.

Obviously a bit of a 'character' but I dont see that as a massive problem.


Grealish looks a player but I wonder where he would fit in our team tbh. He gets more or less a free role at Villa and not sure how well he works in a press. Then again he does look talented enough to perform at a higher level.


Martinez at Inter is who I would like to see come in (Haaland would be a dream buy but think Martinez is more gettable)

High work rate, quick, quite physical, good on the ball and good at beating a player. Good in the air in a Mane sort of way as in he looks too short to be as effective as he is in the air. Can play as a lone striker or can play really well in a deeper almost 9.5 role.

Presses in a manner not unlike how Suarez used to when without the ball and will come deep to battle for the ball and to harry midfielders.

frank the tank 22-02-21 02:33 PM

I think if Jota hadn't got injured then it's likely that Frmino would be on the bench a lot now....

S-RED 22-02-21 02:55 PM

Grealish would cost us in excess of 80mill, so won't be on our radar.

His workrate this season is massively improved, as others have said, he has free reign to go where he wants & the likes on Konta, McGinn do the shovel work for the team

Exiled_red 22-02-21 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S-RED (Post 3696622)
Grealish would cost us in excess of 80mill, so won't be on our radar.

His workrate this season is massively improved, as others have said, he has free reign to go where he wants & the likes on Konta, McGinn do the shovel work for the team

:handshake: The cost is an absolute non-starter, as I have said elsewhere I wonder if Elliott is/could be developed to play this role in future (it's a few years away at least though...)

Big-Red-Ed 22-02-21 07:53 PM

Booby has been brilliant for us but at the end of the day this has gone on too long. We simply can't carry a non scoring striker no matter what else he brings to the side. Everton openly saying that they stifled Salah and Mane and let the chances fall to Bobby knowing he'd probably miss. Hopefully with Jota back soon we can be more unpredictable again. But for next season we have to go balls deep for a Haaland or a Mbappe.

YNWA

Paul12 22-02-21 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big-Red-Ed (Post 3696665)
We simply can't carry a non scoring striker no matter what else he brings to the side.

Well, just think of him as an advanced midfielder then. His scoring record is better that the other creators.

Ams12 22-02-21 08:10 PM

My choice would be Haaland. Big & strong so can make use of the billion crosses we put in! Can provide for Mane & Salah and vice versa for him. Good on the ball so can score too!

Will be a high fee but 100% will be worth it if we go on to win more trophies!

Think that 1 signing will sort us out again. Virg will be back & hopefully to pre injury standards. Gomez back and again hopefully up to standards once he gets into his stride. Will need a good 3rd Choice instead of Matip. We’ll also need a solution for the 3rd midfield role, Hendo & Fab are 1st choice. Maybe it will be Thiago next season playing in a functioning side so gives Jones another year to establish himself as the more regular 3rd choice. So thats 4 for the 3 spots. If Shaq stays that’s 5 & if Gini leaves, we’ll need that replacement.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenneth 22-02-21 08:42 PM

He's also everyone else's choice and therefore he's not coming to Liverpool to play in the Europa League.

BigChief 22-02-21 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big-Red-Ed (Post 3696665)
Booby has been brilliant for us but at the end of the day this has gone on too long. We simply can't carry a non scoring striker no matter what else he brings to the side. Everton openly saying that they stifled Salah and Mane and let the chances fall to Bobby knowing he'd probably miss. Hopefully with Jota back soon we can be more unpredictable again. But for next season we have to go balls deep for a Haaland or a Mbappe.

YNWA

Did the Everton players say that? :jaw:

They've kind of spoiled it for other PL teams who were hoping to continue using this tactic while Klopp seemed to be the only person who couldn't see this. Now even Klopp will have been shocked that the truth was this blatant.

danperkins 23-02-21 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth (Post 3696675)
He's also everyone else's choice and therefore he's not coming to Liverpool to play in the Europa League.

:handshake: this is the potential reality.

danperkins 24-05-21 11:45 AM

Languishing on page 4, is it fair to say we may need an upgrade on Bobby? This might make for an interesting conversation given how popular he is.

Shaggy 24-05-21 11:47 AM

I would bring in another striker but I don't think we need to (or will) sell Firmino.

Scratch 24-05-21 11:48 AM

Nah, a good rest, a fully functioning midfield behind him and he will be back to being the Bobby we know; not a massive goal threat, but the glue that makes the front 2 tick and the leader of the forward press.

Buzzo 24-05-21 11:49 AM

We need to be able to rotate and not have a huge drop in quality, so I agree, need someone, but also need to keep Bobby. Bobby wasa also tried out in the 10 position.

Look at City, they are effectively saying to their entire squad, dont expect to play every week. We have to try and compete with that!

Jaco_Pastorious 24-05-21 11:51 AM

Lautaro Martinez please.

Very high work rate, physical, quick, very good dribbler and good at holding up play and linking play, plus a decent finisher. Presses and harries players when Inter do not have the ball.

Probably a bit closer to Aguero in style but reminds me a little of Suarez in terms of his will to win at times (minus the biting)

Rigadon 24-05-21 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danperkins (Post 3715604)
Languishing on page 4, is it fair to say we may need an upgrade on Bobby? This might make for an interesting conversation given how popular he is.

Gini and Firmino two of Klopp's favourites. Also 'loved' by quite a few on this site :D

Anyway, yes we do need an upgrade or a change in formation. I don't think he should be first choice but he's too good to be on our bench (well, it would seem a waste for him (29 years old) to be on the bench).

Rich 24-05-21 12:11 PM

The guy is an extravert - and needs an audience to perform. We need to keep him and see how he does next season.

I'd still look for another option up top though.

Zapater 24-05-21 12:18 PM

Definitely wouldn't sell. Would really like a good option at 9 though. Preferably one with some aerial presence too. Origi has proved he isn't suitable. I also like the idea of having Bobby as an option as a 10 in a 4-2-3-1 (which would suit Fab and Thiago in a double Pivot really well too). Alternating between positions depending how we line up. I don't think it would be a terrible idea to be more versatile with formations to give make things less predictable tactically too. We've switched around a few times, but always revert back to the same way of playing eventually. It isn't a bad thing, but keeping opponents guessing a bit can help.

Not holding my breathe for that type of player coming in though.

Pablo 24-05-21 12:56 PM

He's been much better in the past 10 games.

Ideally I'd still bring in another striker, but they're expensive and to be honest with our limited budget it's probably best spent elsewhere.

Maxiedge 24-05-21 01:08 PM

He was absolutely out of this world yesterday. Wtf :haha: where were you for 3/4 of the season?

Yesterday’s Bobby I wouldn’t swap for anyone

frank the tank 24-05-21 01:10 PM

if we did have one more option, then an attacking force of Salah, Mane, Jota, Firmino and one other would be pretty good. Martinez as somebody mentioned but surely he'd be mega-bucks. Minamino is possibly more likely unfortunately.

It will also be interesting to see what happens going forward with Elliot. And that Polish lad could be trying to elbow his way into the reckoning too in the next 12 to 18 months.

Priority signings are probably a new defender and a new central midfielder. And possibly a back up goalie.

HamboCairns 24-05-21 01:25 PM

No way would I sell Firmino, that guy isn't going until his legs give out.

Pepe79 24-05-21 01:27 PM

I think he’s past starting every game every 3 or 4 days all season long, if we want to get the best out of him.

If we could start him in even 10 fewer games next season I think his performances would benefit. The last 5 or so games have shown the sharpness is still there.

baitman 24-05-21 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaggy (Post 3715606)
I would bring in another striker but I don't think we need to (or will) sell Firmino.

Play bobby as the advance midfielder (10) to feed the front 3 and lead the pressing, with fab and thiago behind him.
Then a front three from salah, mane, jota and a new striker (martinez)

danperkins 24-05-21 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaggy (Post 3715606)
I would bring in another striker but I don't think we need to (or will) sell Firmino.

:handshake:

danperkins 24-05-21 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitman (Post 3715699)
Play bobby as the advance midfielder (10) to feed the front 3 and lead the pressing, with fab and thiago behind him.
Then a front three from salah, mane, jota and a new striker (martinez)

:handshake: he has played there very successfully for Hoff too.

frank the tank 24-05-21 06:28 PM

hendo???

baitman 24-05-21 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank the tank (Post 3715717)
hendo???

Rotates with thiago, or comes on for firmino when closing out games.

SB 24-05-21 10:28 PM

As Shaggy said , buy another striker, not a winger, and keep Bobby


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.