est1892

est1892 (https://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Sports (https://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Any NBA followers here? (https://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=80283)

Darkon 11-03-12 09:36 PM

Any NBA followers here?

Watching Celtic vs Lakers right now, and wondered if anyone else on here likes to watch some baskett from the states?

Some great athletes and great action in the sport. If there are we could perhaps get a thread going :)

Daffy Duck 11-03-12 10:19 PM

Great idea, I'm no expert but I enjoy watching it whenever I can. Never liked Lakers nor Boston though, on the OKC bandwagon right now :jizz:

Oh, and Metta World Peace is a twat.

Chazza 11-03-12 11:21 PM

I got into it a couple of years ago when we went to Florida, tried to get tickets for the Orlando playoff games but didn't manage it

Chicago Bulls all the way for me, Derek Rose is brilliant

Mostar 12-03-12 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkon (Post 2242721)
Watching Celtic vs Lakers right now, and wondered if anyone else on here likes to watch some baskett from the states?

Some great athletes and great action in the sport. If there are we could perhaps get a thread going :)

Absolutely.

I personally like to watch Bulls as they have fairly young and exciting team.

Like them as they completely had to rebuild since Jordan retired and this year finally they have the legitimate chance to win it all the way (last year they came close but not quite).

Derrick Rose, their point guard, my favorite is probably the best player in NBA at the moment imo ahead of Wade, Lebron, Kobe and Howard.

Some great players and some very competitive games can give you some truly enjoyable entertainment almost daily.

Harv 12-03-12 08:01 AM

Golden State Warriors fan from way back in the early 90's here. Run TMC :rock:

Yes, we suck, but we play some of the most exciting bball. Don't know why i chose them as a kid, we've made the playoffs about once since the early 90's :haha:

Harv 12-03-12 08:06 AM

Did anyone see Gerald Greens dunk yesterday BTW?

Absolutely insane.

Just sick, utterly sick. LOOK WHERE HIS HEAD IS FFS!!

Darkon 12-03-12 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daffy Duck (Post 2242745)
Great idea, I'm no expert but I enjoy watching it whenever I can. Never liked Lakers nor Boston though, on the OKC bandwagon right now :jizz:

Oh, and Metta World Peace is a twat.

Not a big fan of either franchises myself, just the live game on tele and always a good matchup.

When i first started watching NBA in the early 90's I was in to Phoenix and mainly because of Charles Barkley :rock:

Now a days I don't have any particular team I follow, just like the game :)

My favorite player is perhaps Nowitsky, fantastic allround player can do just about anything.

And great finish to the game last night :rock:

And yes World Peace :rolleyes: Never thought I would say that sentence untill he changed his name :D

Darkon 12-03-12 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mostar (Post 2242897)
Absolutely.

I personally like to watch Bulls as they have fairly young and exciting team.

Like them as they completely had to rebuild since Jordan retired and this year finally they have the legitimate chance to win it all the way (last year they came close but not quite).

Derrick Rose, their point guard, my favorite is probably the best player in NBA at the moment imo ahead of Wade, Lebron, Kobe and Howard.

Some great players and some very competitive games can give you some truly enjoyable entertainment almost daily.

Bulls have a team to follow the next couple of years if they can keep it together. Don't agree about Rose being the best player in the NBA right now, quite a few I would put ahead of him but def. a very good player.

Also you can watch highlights for free on the nba website :P

Darkon 12-03-12 08:42 AM

What a Dunk :jaw: :respect:

Harv 12-03-12 01:52 PM

Ive watched a lot of basketball, and thats right up there with the best dunks I've seen. Thats All-star game dunk comp stuff IN A GAME!!

Resu 12-03-12 01:56 PM

Don`t follow it, but I`ve been at one NBA game. Houston vs Bulls 6-7 years ago. Got to see Pippen and that big chinese guy.

That`s all.

Darkon 12-03-12 02:02 PM

hmm, I would have thought at least 8 other players would be on the floor, think you got ripped off by a huge chinese guy and a Pippen look-a-like mate!

Resu 12-03-12 03:17 PM

Well, it was a friday night so might missed a few things as the game progressed (or even started).

Gibbo 13-03-12 01:06 AM

Miami Heat :rock:

And thats about all I can contribute.

kemm1 13-03-12 07:11 AM

I'm a lifelong Laker fan, it seems like we'll be going downhill a bit, but we always find a way to rebuild.

Darkon 13-03-12 08:27 AM

Lakers have a habit of doing so, wouldn't be the franchise leaders with the Celtic if otherwise. They just really need a new PG and it's looking fairly good, and perhaps and extra forward.

Darkon 13-03-12 08:28 AM

Who do people have as final contenders and winner?

Chazza 13-03-12 08:50 AM

One of Miami, Oklahoma City or Chicago for me

Darkon 13-03-12 09:29 AM

Miami or Chicago will most likely end up in the final vs either OC, Lakers or Spurs.

Hollowman 13-03-12 03:13 PM

Play-off brackets for the NCAA tournie start tonight, if anyone fancies some college hoops. ESPN are covering almost every game.

Chazza 13-03-12 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollowman (Post 2243928)
Play-off brackets for the NCAA tournie start tonight, if anyone fancies some college hoops. ESPN are covering almost every game.

Ive caught a bit of this quite enjoy it, the crowds are a bit lively

Chris 13-03-12 03:20 PM

I love it, start times make it hard to watch though but espn have plenty on, xmas days are usually epic.

Saw a bit of the Knicks v Bulls last night. The Knicks attempts to defend are comical, pretty much every attack from the opposition seems to lead to an unchallenged basket. They need to get rid of the coach.

Harv 13-03-12 03:25 PM

March Madness is amazing. The college crowds put the NBA's to shame big time.

Kentucky have it in the bag though. They have one of the best lineups I've ever seen. Anthony Davis is going to be an absolute superstar. Can handle like a guard and he's 6'11. Wingspan of a jumbo jet, blocks shots like fucking crazy, great touch around the basket and has the desire to be the best to go along with an amazing monobrow. He'll be unstoppable.

Hope the W's get him :D

Hollowman 13-03-12 03:55 PM

Yeah, but everyone said they had the SEC title in the bag on Sunday too, and look how that went. The final five minutes were insane. Vandy just ran all over them.

In straight tournament ball, nobody has anything in the bag. Equally, it might have been the best thing that could have happened to UK as they go into the tournie. They do have Connecticut and Indiana (who beat them earlier) in their bracket though.

fah-q 13-03-12 04:47 PM

I used to be massively into basketball in the days of Clyde Drexler, Hakeem Olajuwon, Charles Barkley, etc.

Shaggy 13-03-12 04:49 PM

Used to love it, I played for our school team and we once reached a final which we played before a British league game and a decent-ish crowd. :haha::rock:

We lost.

Saw 'British Basketball' on Sky the other week and watched a game - Durham something or other v Mersey Tigers. Utter utter shite it was. I used to follow it in the early 90s but it looks like there are no teams in existence from back then (Derby Rams were my team but I also liked Kingston - who don't seem to exist anymore - and Alton Byrd :rock::rock:), all the teams are different and the game I watched was - no different to how it used to be - played in a local leisure centre with about 30 people in attendance.

kemm1 13-03-12 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkon (Post 2243670)
Lakers have a habit of doing so, wouldn't be the franchise leaders with the Celtic if otherwise. They just really need a new PG and it's looking fairly good, and perhaps and extra forward.

Rumour is that the Lakers turned down an offer from the Celtics - Rondo for Gasol, that's a tough call so I don't mind us turning that trade down.

It will be OKC v Heat for the title, Bosh is quietly dominating this year but not getting a lot of publicity.

Chazza 13-03-12 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaggy (Post 2244013)
Used to love it, I played for our school team and we once reached a final which we played before a British league game and a decent-ish crowd. :haha::rock:

We lost.

Saw 'British Basketball' on Sky the other week and watched a game - Durham something or other v Mersey Tigers. Utter utter shite it was. I used to follow it in the early 90s but it looks like there are no teams in existence from back then (Derby Rams were my team but I also liked Kingston - who don't seem to exist anymore - and Alton Byrd :rock::rock:), all the teams are different and the game I watched was - no different to how it used to be - played in a local leisure centre with about 30 people in attendance.

Kingston became the Guildford Kings in the early 90's, used to go down and watch them at the Spectrum leisure centre :rock:

They folded in 1994 but were relaunched in 2005 as the Guildford Heat

kemm1 13-03-12 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollowman (Post 2243980)
Yeah, but everyone said they had the SEC title in the bag on Sunday too, and look how that went. The final five minutes were insane. Vandy just ran all over them.

In straight tournament ball, nobody has anything in the bag. Equally, it might have been the best thing that could have happened to UK as they go into the tournie. They do have Connecticut and Indiana (who beat them earlier) in their bracket though.

Will Calipari finally win it though, that's really the key. He has the best team and best players but he's had that before but never won it. Apart from UK I'd have to go with Mizzou. If Mizzou are allowed to run the run and if all the shooters they have are hot they can put up over 80 on anyone. UNC is there with top talent as usual but they don't seem to have that killer instinct.

So UK or Mizzou for me.

Hollowman 14-03-12 02:26 PM

Honestly, I hope the Hilltoppers upset them in the Bluegrass first rounder. They've been an endless source of fun so far this season. They're obviously going to get mashed, but wouldn't it be beautiful to see them stumble through?

Tee 14-03-12 05:57 PM

Only one basketball 'team' ever caught my imagination...Harlem Globetrotters. :rock:

Chris 14-03-12 11:50 PM

D'Antoni has gone, Melo gets his own way, now he needs to start performing.

Darkon 15-03-12 10:44 AM

Chicago beat Miami last night, a very strong showing without Rose, they are getting themselves in line as real contenders!

kemm1 15-03-12 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollowman (Post 2245103)
Honestly, I hope the Hilltoppers upset them in the Bluegrass first rounder. They've been an endless source of fun so far this season. They're obviously going to get mashed, but wouldn't it be beautiful to see them stumble through?

No chance :handshake:

kemm1 15-03-12 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 2245789)
D'Antoni has gone, Melo gets his own way, now he needs to start performing.

Melo is building an anti-Melo fan base. The word is also that his team has turned against him.

kemm1 15-03-12 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkon (Post 2245911)
Chicago beat Miami last night, a very strong showing without Rose, they are getting themselves in line as real contenders!

Didn't catch that game, but great result for the Bulls!

Hollowman 15-03-12 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kemm1 (Post 2246198)
The word is...

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__.../HuggyBear.jpg

Darkon 15-03-12 10:49 PM

Lakers traded Fischer tonight, wonder how they will do without any real point guard? Not that he did much for them this season, but still...

Chazza 15-03-12 11:24 PM

Rumours were they tried to trade Gasol to the Nets for Deron Williams

kemm1 16-03-12 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollowman (Post 2246299)

:haha:

I got my info from talk radio, Mad Dog Sports