est1892

est1892 (https://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Sports (https://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Arturo Gatti V's Carlos Baldomir (https://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=899)

kurtangle01 21-07-06 08:22 PM

Arturo Gatti V's Carlos Baldomir
 
is anyone else watching the fight tomorrow? if so what are your predictions?

David Haye is also on sky tonight defending his european championship. it should be 2 cracking fights!:)

Howard_lfc 22-07-06 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurtangle01
is anyone else watching the fight tomorrow? if so what are your predictions?

David Haye is also on sky tonight defending his european championship. it should be 2 cracking fights!:)

I knew this thread would be here Kurt mate! Nice one.

Haye doesn't have a fighters heart. He'll be another also ran. Compare his attitude to the american heavyweights - they just wanna 'get it on' whilst Haye is more concerned about not getting hit. Very disappointed.

Gatti's career could be on the line tonight. Another defeat and it'll be curtains. But even if he wins - Hatton will whup his ass in the next fight.
I'll probably record the fight and watch it tomorrow morning.

I'll be back with my thoughts then !

Take it easy Kurt,

H

kurtangle01 22-07-06 02:56 PM

gatti all the way for me tonight. i would love it if hatton ends up in the ring with him before the end of the year. what a fight that would be.

as for david haye...i think you're right although i did feel slightly sorry for him last night because abdoul certainly never came to fight. haye has oustanding power and would knock most mortals out with a single shot but as you said he has no heart. if and it's a big if he ever steps in the ring with oneill bell then he'd better be prepared for a war.

Howard_lfc 22-07-06 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurtangle01
gatti all the way for me tonight. i would love it if hatton ends up in the ring with him before the end of the year. what a fight that would be.

as for david haye...i think you're right although i did feel slightly sorry for him last night because abdoul certainly never came to fight. haye has oustanding power and would knock most mortals out with a single shot but as you said he has no heart. if and it's a big if he ever steps in the ring with oneill bell then he'd better be prepared for a war.


What about Hatton and Whitter (if he wins a title)? I quite like whitter and he's certainly not scared of Ricky. I think it'd be a good fight.

kurtangle01 22-07-06 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howard_lfc
What about Hatton and Whitter (if he wins a title)? I quite like whitter and he's certainly not scared of Ricky. I think it'd be a good fight.

i would definately want to see that fight and whats more i think both fighters would like that fight to happen.

i think hatton would win but it wouldn't be as easy as some people think. witter still has to beat chop chop first though. which will be a tough fight.

oshea 22-07-06 07:36 PM

I love Gatti to bits, but I'd say hes done and Baldomir will win, probably on points.

Haye is a bum, as Carl Thompson showed us. If he ever makes the mistake of getting in the ring with O'Neil Bell, he wants to be preparing for the hospital, not a war.

kurtangle01 22-07-06 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oshea
I love Gatti to bits, but I'd say hes done and Baldomir will win, probably on points.

Haye is a bum, as Carl Thompson showed us. If he ever makes the mistake of getting in the ring with O'Neil Bell, he wants to be preparing for the hospital, not a war.

gatti has been here before baldomir and his experience should see him through tonight. baldomir isn't even in his league.

bazza76 23-07-06 03:55 AM

I tend to agree Kurt.
Gatti tonight for me. admittedly I havnt seen too much of Baldomir. But it sounds like it should be a good fight, Baldomir doesnt look very technical and looks like a fighter, just like Gatti is.

bazza76 23-07-06 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oshea
I love Gatti to bits, but I'd say hes done and Baldomir will win, probably on points.

Haye is a bum, as Carl Thompson showed us. If he ever makes the mistake of getting in the ring with O'Neil Bell, he wants to be preparing for the hospital, not a war.

Baldomir is a year older than Gatti and a longer harder carrer, 57 fights with 42 victories and most of these fights not being as tough as gattis.

bazza76 23-07-06 03:57 AM

Here we go.
Kurt where are you? Your normally around on koptalk talking to me at this hour lol.

kurtangle01 23-07-06 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ian rush
Here we go.
Kurt where are you? Your normally around on koptalk talking to me at this hour lol.

i'm here mate. i was just glued to the screen.

what a fight. despite losing i thought gatti looked quite good. baldomir is very limited IMHO and would be easy pickings for a naturally bigger man.

i think we can safely say that hatton was all set for a fight with gatti if he'd won tonight because billy graham was gutted. it looks like it'll be mayweather, baldomir or urkal next then!

kurtangle01 23-07-06 05:11 AM

P.S. baldomir said that he wanted hatton or pretty boy fraud next so it'll be interesting to see who he ends up fighting. i don't think it'll be ricky because billy graham seemed certain that ricky should be fighting at 140LBS and not welterweight. he did aknowledge that all the money was to be made at the higher weight though.

they must've been offered millions for a gatti fight though because billy graham was gutted. he said "that result has just cost me a load of cash!" LOL

i think frauds people will be on the phone 1st thing monday morning to arrange the fight with baldomir. if that fight takes place then you'd have to fear for baldomir's health. floyd would have him flat out in no more than 5 rounds. it would be a massacre!

so sad to see a true warrior in gatti bow out like this.

bazza76 23-07-06 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurtangle01
P.S. baldomir said that he wanted hatton or pretty boy fraud next so it'll be interesting to see who he ends up fighting. i don't think it'll be ricky because billy graham seemed certain that ricky should be fighting at 140LBS and not welterweight. he did aknowledge that all the money was to be made at the higher weight though.

they must've been offered millions for a gatti fight though because billy graham was gutted. he said "that result has just cost me a load of cash!" LOL

i think frauds people will be on the phone 1st thing monday morning to arrange the fight with baldomir. if that fight takes place then you'd have to fear for baldomir's health. floyd would have him flat out in no more than 5 rounds. it would be a massacre!

so sad to see a true warrior in gatti bow out like this.

Was a dissapointing end alright, was hoping Gatti would take him, but it wasnt to be, i guess everyone underestimated Baldomir's hunger again.
Hatton would be making the correct decision to stay at light welterweight, maybe one day he could go up to Welterweight and stay there successfully, but not just yet IMHO.

kurtangle01 23-07-06 02:09 PM

Hatton trainer "gutted!"

www.fightnews.com/fightnews_2/...VVTFPplGaC.html

Sunday, July 23 2006

By Craig Watt

The trainer of undefeated WBA Welterweight champion Ricky "The Hitman" Hatton, Billy "The Preacher" Graham told watching viewers on Sky Sports in the UK that he was "gutted" that Arturo Gatti was defeated last night in Atlantic City. He told viewers, " That has just cost us a lot of money. I am stunned and gutted at the result and although Baldomir fought well we were all looking forward to a Gatti-Hatton match. We had been offered a lot of money and too much to refuse to go to the USA and fight Gatti. It would have been such a great fight." Although Team Hatton have a 9th December date pencilled for a mandatory fight with Oktay Urkal many people were speculating that Hatton could take on Gatti for the WBC title if the opportunity arose. The Urkal proposed fight has now gone to purse bids after an agreement was unable to be reached between the two camps. Rival promoter Frank Warren has offered the unbeaten WBA champion a chance to step back own to Jr-welterweight and take on the winner of the September 2nd vacant WBA title fight between Frenchman Souleymane M'Baye and Raul Balbi but this is unlikely to occur.

it seems that gatti was definately next up for ricky. quite sad that he never won because a hatton gatti fight would have been one for the ages.

where next now for ricky. the urkal fight has gone to purse bids so unless ricky gives up the title he'll have to fight him.

wait and see but wiyh with december the 9th pencilled in and possible opponents like corrales tied up already and castillo being banned for the rest of the year that only leaves mayweather or cotto.

oshea 23-07-06 02:24 PM

Gatti was hopelessly outclassed last night. He easily lost seven of the nine rounds and he didn't hurt Baldomir once.

Hatton v Baldomir could be a good fight, better than last nights anyway. But it would be a big risk for Hatton to fight another strong welterweight after it was so close with Collazo.

kurtangle01 23-07-06 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oshea
Gatti was hopelessly outclassed last night. He easily lost seven of the nine rounds and he didn't hurt Baldomir once.

Hatton v Baldomir could be a good fight, better than last nights anyway. But it would be a big risk for Hatton to fight another strong welterweight after it was so close with Collazo.

i thought gatti looked good in the first few rounds and did hurt baldomir more than once throughout the 9 rounds. the KO actually came as a surprise to me because in between the 8th and 9th round baldomir looked tired. if he hadn't knocked gatti out in that round then he would have lost the fight on points IMHO.

as for hatton fighting baldomir...i don't think it'd be a good idea at this stage of his career. he'd be better looking elsewhere.

oshea 23-07-06 03:28 PM

And you can back this up how? Fair enough Gatti won the first round (and probably the eight) but as soon as he started trading with Baldomir the disparity in strength was obvious (and Baldomir appeared to have the quicker hands). Gatti was caught with the overhand right repeatedly and he was rocked several times in the fight. Even the punch stats support this, Baldomir threw more, was more accurrate and hit Gatti over a hundred times more.

When was Baldomir hurt? I remember Gatti hitting him with a solid right hand on the ropes near the end of round four, and Baldomir was straight after him. Gatti simply didnt have the power to hurt Baldomir - each time they traded punches, Gatti was the one who came out worse.

bazza76 24-07-06 02:20 PM

Cotto or Mayweather at Welterweight for Hatton?
I should think would be best advised to pick on someone his own size.

kurtangle01 24-07-06 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ian rush
Cotto or Mayweather at Welterweight for Hatton?
I should think would be best advised to pick on someone his own size.

mayweather would be nice, ricky would beat him IMHO, but cotto is the one i fear as a hatton fan. that guy is a full blown middleweight fighting at a lower weight by the looks of him. did you see him against mallignagi? he was HUGE!!!!! mayweather on the other hand is a blown up super featherweight. that would suit hatton i think because floyd hasn't really carried his power up in the weight that he's in now. although he does still posses the skills.

i have a feeling that it'll be urkal next now that gatti has lost. baldomir is out of the question at the moment.

Howard_lfc 24-07-06 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurtangle01
mayweather would be nice, ricky would beat him IMHO, but cotto is the one i fear as a hatton fan. that guy is a full blown middleweight fighting at a lower weight by the looks of him. did you see him against mallignagi? he was HUGE!!!!! mayweather on the other hand is a blown up super featherweight. that would suit hatton i think because floyd hasn't really carried his power up in the weight that he's in now. although he does still posses the skills.

i have a feeling that it'll be urkal next now that gatti has lost. baldomir is out of the question at the moment.

I think Hatton would out-work Cotto. I also don't believe Cotto's chin is the best either. He's been rocked a fair few times now. Hatton for me on this one.

Mayweather - if he boxed anything like he did against Gatti -would be too slick for Ricky IMO - and simply out box him. Hatton would be chasing shadows. Mayweather for me here.

kurtangle01 24-07-06 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howard_lfc
I think Hatton would out-work Cotto. I also don't believe Cotto's chin is the best either. He's been rocked a fair few times now. Hatton for me on this one.

Mayweather - if he boxed anything like he did against Gatti -would be too slick for Ricky IMO - and simply out box him. Hatton would be chasing shadows. Mayweather for me here.


you could have a point but i think that ricky is far better at getting on the inside than gatti so he could neutralise floyd effective hand speed. floyd is effective if fighters stand off him and allow him to fight his fight. ricky wouldn't let that happen IMO. you only have to look at how ragged floyd looked against zab judah in the early part of their fight when zab pressurised him, and pressurising opponents is ricky's best asset. the problem zab had was that his stamina faded after the 5h or 6th round. hatton has bags of stamina so wouldn't go the same way judah did.

i agree about cotto's chin but the guy is simply huge. if a fight was to happen with cotto then now is as good a time as any. both fighters are looking for an opponent for later in the year so it could be made.

i just have a feeling that cotto would be more of a risk than mayweather simply because of his size.

oshea 25-07-06 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ian rush
Cotto or Mayweather at Welterweight for Hatton?
I should think would be best advised to pick on someone his own size.

Hatton would do well to stay away from Mayweather and trick Cotto into the ring with him.
As you say, Cotto's chin is suspicious and he lacks the technique to avoid a constantly coming forward Hatton.

I'd like to see how Mayweather would stand up against Margarito, but hes probably too smart to take that fight.

Hollowman 25-07-06 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oshea
Margarito, but hes probably too smart to take that fight.


Jesus. First Mayorga and now Margarito. You love you some leather faced characters, huh? One Kermit does not a summer make.

Margarito's only chance against Floyd (taking a bizarre amount of flack here for a man of his record. The only man who ever looked like beating him was Castillo, who is a tremendous fighter lazily dismissed for his recent scales debacle) lies in the fact that Floyd don't like people up in his face. Which is all Margarito knows how to do. But let's not get carried away. Daniel Santos ain't no Roberto Duran, and the cut can't cover up the fact that he was rightfully beating Margarito.

Jaco_Pastorious 25-07-06 10:47 AM

You would think that Mayweather was a bum the way he gets talked about at times. The guy is top notch, has all the tools, and I suspect that if he ever gets dragged into a trading war, that he has the tools to deal with it quite easily. Margarito would be taken to the cleaners by him

oshea 25-07-06 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollowman
Jesus. First Mayorga and now Margarito. You love you some leather faced characters, huh? One Kermit does not a summer make.

Margarito's only chance against Floyd (taking a bizarre amount of flack here for a man of his record. The only man who ever looked like beating him was Castillo, who is a tremendous fighter lazily dismissed for his recent scales debacle) lies in the fact that Floyd don't like people up in his face. Which is all Margarito knows how to do. But let's not get carried away. Daniel Santos ain't no Roberto Duran, and the cut can't cover up the fact that he was rightfully beating Margarito.


There was no shame in losing to the bigger Santos at light middle, you know theres always "that" dude a good fighter can't beat.
Margarito offers everything Hatton does in a massive frame. It could be a legend fight, and at least Mayweather would have to work for it. Who else at welterweight is there?

oshea 25-07-06 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious
You would think that Mayweather was a bum the way he gets talked about at times. The guy is top notch, has all the tools, and I suspect that if he ever gets dragged into a trading war, that he has the tools to deal with it quite easily. Margarito would be taken to the cleaners by him

Its crazy not to rate Mayweather as best pound for pound in the world, but I'm just not excited by the prospect of him beating up on DLH.

Hollowman 25-07-06 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oshea
Its crazy not to rate Mayweather as best pound for pound in the world, but I'm just not excited by the prospect of him beating up on DLH.


You're right there. And a Floyd-Margarito fight has promise.

But let's not pretend Margarito is a world-beater. He's nicely nurtured this rep as the most avoided fighter in the division, but it's the Santos fight that shows his limitations. He's a big boy, but looked outgunned at 154. I think he has the same problem Hatton does - he'll never climb weights. For someone who looks like a light middleweight, that ain't too promising.

Floyd is class. Genius hands, and has that Jones-like Teflon defensive style. His problem is exactly what you said. There's nobody else out there for him at 147 other than Margarito, and he's not stepping up to fight the likes of Wright or Taylor anytime soon.

Now, Taylor. There's a fighter I got a lot of time for. And another one who takes undue criticism. Although I don't like his habit of going asleep between 7 and 10.

oshea 25-07-06 12:07 PM

Floyd has another Jones trait too, he won't be getting in the ring with someone he knows can beat him.

Winky fought his fight the wrong way round, the fucking pleb. If he sorts that mystery out, knowing now that he can take Taylors punch, he'll win the rematch.

You see Bernard is bored witless retired? Its fantasy stuff, but if Frank Warren could just sort that out...

Hollowman 25-07-06 12:15 PM

Oh god. The Jones revisionism. Is this him ducking Collins? I know you don't mean Joe, because they are totally different generations.

oshea 25-07-06 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollowman
Oh god. The Jones revisionism. Is this him ducking Collins? I know you don't mean Joe, because they are totally different generations.

Revisionism, jesus, I was quoting you - admittedly a stoned and drunk you, but still...
Jones was great, but he didn't have wars and thats such a damn shame.

Hollowman 25-07-06 12:32 PM

He didn't have wars, but the division was geographically split then. I don't think Jones can be blamed for that.

Although him and Eubank would have been one fuck of a scrap. You'd want fifteen of that.

laments modern ghey-ass boxing laws

oshea 25-07-06 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stjarna
Feisty yes
Little no
Cocksucker again no

WHy are you named after a Manc?

Is this questions and answer? Sweet.

"WHy are you named after a Manc?"

Because its my name...


Why are you an annoying cretin?

oshea 25-07-06 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollowman
He didn't have wars, but the division was geographically split then. I don't think Jones can be blamed for that.

Although him and Eubank would have been one fuck of a scrap. You'd want fifteen of that.

laments modern ghey-ass boxing laws

Have you seen the Ray Mancini v Deuk Koo Kim fight? Kev told me last week that Kim's mum and the referee committed suicdice after the fight.

Whats the reason for Heavyweights not going 15?
Not that any of these bums could....

Hollowman 25-07-06 01:10 PM

The fight wasn't that savage. Mancini was on top after about nine and the ref stopped it in 14. Kim was clearly in no condition to continue, but it wasn't like you looked at him and said "oh, he's dead."

Then he collapsed, and you looked at him and said "oh, he's dead."

Yeah, the ref was someone Greene. Killed himself, but I don't rally think anyone else would have stopped the fight earlier. In fact, Kim got up in the 14th, and I reckon there are refs out there who would have let it go on. Especially in that time in America.

The main problem was the drain Kim put on himself to make the weight. That still isn't monitored properly. Ideally there should be constant official weigh ins for three weeks before all title fights. They've tried fucking about with weigh ins, making them the day of the fight (insane. Ask Paul Ingle) and making them several days before (which Gatti loved. Two days of pizza binging and he was a middleweight beating up lightweights - he had something like 20lbs on Gamanche when he beat him into a coma). But it needs to be a question of sustained weight monitiring, rather than when you hold a single weigh in.

Those three lost rounds might have caused damage, but they were the championship rounds. There are many fighters who have been 12 round world champs who wouldn't have been 15 rounders. Like Ali said, that's when you entered that strange room where alligators roam.

Davie 25-07-06 01:10 PM

Ghey.

Lord Fowler 25-07-06 01:43 PM

I think these two need to get a room and ass fuck to their hearts content.

Lecter 25-07-06 01:47 PM

Hollow how do you do it?

Everywhere you go you seem to have the ability to find someone who couldnt argue to save their life to have a discussion with you

I have to admire it you can sure pick em

Lord Fowler 25-07-06 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lecter
Hollow how do you do it?

Everywhere you go you seem to have the ability to find someone who couldnt argue to save their life to have a discussion with you

I have to admire it you can sure pick em


he's a paedo.

nothing to admire...

Hollowman 25-07-06 05:46 PM

It's a public service I perform.

Davie 25-07-06 08:07 PM

Ghey 2


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.