est1892

est1892 (https://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Football (https://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Tottenham Hotspur (https://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=53657)

Robbie-9-Fowler 06-10-13 07:26 PM

I thought Soldado and Negredo were at a similar level in Spain and if pushed I'd have said Soldado even though I didn't think either were great but Negrado has looked good so far.

Didn't see the game but its a good result for us! Townsend, Eriksen and Sigurdsson behind Defoe doesn't look too great even on paper. I rated and still do rate the majority of their signings but they've been lucky in some games this season, hopefully we can put some daylight between us and them while the players settle.

Bender 06-10-13 07:51 PM

Shaggy 06-10-13 07:58 PM

Delighted they got thumped today but it's a bit early to be crowing, they're only 3 behind us and have played two of the big 6 compared to our one.

Soldado is a good finisher but your other 10 have to be really good to carry someone who only scores goals. Like Defoe he doesn't contribute at all unless he's scoring.

Lamela I think will come good because he's got tons of ability, it's still very early and he's had some fitness problems since he signed.

I think their problem will be when the likes of Sigurdsson and Eriksen don't turn up. Both got plenty of ability and will be flat track bullies when they're on it, but they can disappear in tougher games.

Their big problems are full back I think. Naughton is shite, Walker not much better. Rose in fact looks their best full back and that's not a great sign.

Shaggy 06-10-13 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbie-9-Fowler (Post 2757126)
I thought Soldado and Negredo were at a similar level in Spain and if pushed I'd have said Soldado even though I didn't think either were great but Negrado has looked good so far.

Didn't see the game but its a good result for us! Townsend, Eriksen and Sigurdsson behind Defoe doesn't look too great even on paper. I rated and still do rate the majority of their signings but they've been lucky in some games this season, hopefully we can put some daylight between us and them while the players settle.

Good point - two 1-0 wins through Soldado penalties and an injury time winner at Cardiff. They will hammer a few teams sooner or later but I don't think there'll be much between us and them come May.

Tee 06-10-13 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaggy (Post 2757137)
Delighted they got thumped today but it's a bit early to be crowing, they're only 3 behind us and have played two of the big 6 compared to our one.

Soldado is a good finisher but your other 10 have to be really good to carry someone who only scores goals. Like Defoe he doesn't contribute at all unless he's scoring.

Lamela I think will come good because he's got tons of ability, it's still very early and he's had some fitness problems since he signed.

I think their problem will be when the likes of Sigurdsson and Eriksen don't turn up. Both got plenty of ability and will be flat track bullies when they're on it, but they can disappear in tougher games.

Their big problems are full back I think. Naughton is shite, Walker not much better. Rose in fact looks their best full back and that's not a great sign.

:handshake:

foresterbloke 07-10-13 10:11 AM

I think Paulinho is their best signing. I reckon he'll be a great signing this season.

dww 07-10-13 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaggy (Post 2757137)

I've not watched them outside of MOTD this season but a lot of people have commented about how well Soldado does to bring Sigurdsson and Eriksen into the game. Interesting that when he didn't play the rest of the team seems to have been less effective given the impression that many people have (myself included) that Soldado is about as useful away from the box as Defoe.

RedAndWhite 07-10-13 05:08 PM

What Spurs seem to be missing is some width - if they had a player with pace, who can beat his man and shoot they would be more dangerous.

Shaggy 07-10-13 05:59 PM

Well Lennon has pace and can beat a man, but he's injured. And not great.

RedReet 07-10-13 09:10 PM

As does Townsend and he's shit too. :haha:

Camble 27-10-13 07:52 PM

Another late penalty gives Spurs a 1-0 win.
I haven't seen it so can't say whether it should/shouldn't have been given, but that's a few games this season already where they've been awarded a late pen.

New United?

Bender 27-10-13 07:52 PM

Spurs will get found out at this rate

Chazza 27-10-13 07:53 PM

Or they will get better

Chris 27-10-13 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bender (Post 2768001)
Spurs will get found out at this rate

No doubt about it, the money hasnt been spent well and they wont keep getting dodgy penalties forever. They are very average, hugely flattered by the points total so far.

BobTheCharmer 27-10-13 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedReet (Post 2757634)
As does Townsend and he's shit too. :haha:

Is he?

Bender 27-10-13 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chazza (Post 2768004)
Or they will get better

possible but they will have to up their game quickly

Tee 27-10-13 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bender (Post 2768019)
possible but they will have to up their game quickly

They are just behind us Bender, a bit premature to judge/condemn them IMO. :D

Bender 27-10-13 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tee (Post 2768030)
They are just behind us Bender, a bit premature to judge/condemn them IMO. :D

i condemn all just ask Imy ...... oh wait you can't he's been condemned :crackoff: poor sod has 9 billion jalebis to churn out before Diwali on sunday :haha:

Tee 27-10-13 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bender (Post 2768032)
i condemn all just ask Imy ...... oh wait you can't he's been condemned :crackoff: poor sod has 9 billion jalebis to churn out before Diwali on sunday :haha:

:haha: Have a good one!

Bender 27-10-13 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tee (Post 2768039)
:haha: Have a good one!

:handshake: Tee

Vermilion 27-10-13 08:55 PM

AVB says it's hard for his players to play with such a negative atittude from the home fans. :D

That'll go down well.

RichC 27-10-13 08:59 PM

He's clearly under pressure isn't he. He's spent a shit load of cash this summer regardless of the money brought in for Bale and I'm pretty sure Spurs are expecting to be right up there for the title whilst playing good football.

Not quite going to plan as of yet but they've still got 18 points

Alex 27-10-13 09:02 PM

18 points and it's basically a new team. Doing ok to hang up there. Points total flatters them at the moment. But I can't help but think they will improve.

ChesterDave 27-10-13 09:04 PM

The alternative is that they start losing a game or two and turn on each other and to shit because there are so many new players there is no real team spirit.

Fingers crossed. Think the bitters will beat them next week so we will see, if they do indeed lose that, how they react the week after

Vermilion 27-10-13 09:18 PM

Yeah that's my worry with Spurs, the fact they're picking up points while playing shite in comparison to others at the top, it's probably true of a couple of the sides hoping to be in contention for the top places.

Then again, as ChesterD says, it could go the other way, which would be nice to see. :)

ABC really went to town on the home support, heard a clip of him just now again, sure he said something like... 'we play with no real support here, it's a negative anxious atmosphere' :haha:

Hope we can keep up this run of form, beating Arsenal would be huge for our confidence.

Camble 28-10-13 12:24 AM

As per my prediction, another very dodgy penalty.

RichC 28-10-13 07:37 AM

Wow, harsh penalty decision !!! Not the first one for Spurs this season either

Kenneth 28-10-13 08:09 AM

Yep. I think dodgy pens account for 6 of their points this season.

Alex 28-10-13 08:24 AM

Wouldnt that be more like 4 points? Because its just draws they converted into wins?

Kenneth 28-10-13 08:52 AM

Yeah, but three times.

ronanm 28-10-13 12:11 PM

Sick of them scrounging wins as they will get better imo.

peekay 28-10-13 03:22 PM

AVB has done a Rafa here.

Andre Villas-Boas criticises Tottenham Hotspur fans
Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas said the home support at White Hart Lane made the 1-0 win over Hull feel like an away game for his side.
Frustrated for long periods, Spurs climbed to fourth in the Premier League courtesy of Roberto Soldado's penalty.
"We looked like the away team. We played in a difficult atmosphere with almost no support," said Villas-Boas.
"We have a wonderful set of fans but they can do better. We don't need the negativity of today."
Home or away?

This season, Spurs have won three of their five home league games, taking victory in three of four away from home. Last season, they won 11 at home compared to 10 away, but scored eight more goals on their travels.
The 36-year-old Portuguese, in his second season as Spurs manager, told BBC Sport: "Away from home their support has been amazing; we play with no fear and we need that atmosphere at White Hart Lane.
"We didn't have the support we should have done. There was much anxiety from the stands, the players had to do it alone.
"We spoke about it at half-time. I told the players that we would have to do it on our own. They had to dig deep and look for the strength within themselves. They also believed that it's not easy to play in this stadium when the atmosphere is like this."
Fielding a five-man defence, Hull contained Spurs for much of the game, largely restricting the home side to long-range efforts.
In the end, Spurs climbed to fourth in the Premier League through Soldado's spot-kick, which was awarded after Ahmed Elmohamady was adjudged to have used his arm to block Jan Vertonghen's cross.
"It was never going to be easy against a team that defended their goal so well," said former Chelsea boss Villas-Boas. "Their objective was to prevent us from scoring that first goal and it was a strategy that almost worked for them.
"The difference today is that we were patient. I compliment the boys for what they did, it was a great work-rate.
"We did it for ourselves and came out with an important win that puts us in a very good position in the league."
Hull manager Steve Bruce said referee Michael Oliver's decision to award the penalty was "a joke" and that has team had been "robbed".
"It was a harsh decision, difficult for the ref to judge," added Villas-Boas. "Sometimes they are not given and Brucey will be devastated by that decision."
Spurs and England winger Andros Townsend needed treatment after falling into a photographers' pit late in the game.
"He's in a lot of pain but he assures me he will be OK," said Villas-Boas. "He fell quite deep into that hole, he twisted his wrist."

Sarb 28-10-13 03:27 PM

I think there are some questions to be asked about AVB's tactics though. May be a little about gelling as a team but I think he is quite a negative coach also. He's signed a load of attacking players but he likes to play a defensive brand of football. Think part of it may also be that

Pepe79 30-10-13 11:44 PM

Scraped past Hull in the shoot out. Where would Spurs be without penalties this season?

G 30-10-13 11:46 PM

120 mins plus penalties, who are they playing at the weekend? Might be a chance for some dropped points

Reece 30-10-13 11:48 PM

Away to Everton on Sunday

Robbie-9-Fowler 30-10-13 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G (Post 2769383)
120 mins plus penalties, who are they playing at the weekend? Might be a chance for some dropped points

Everton

Pepe79 30-10-13 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G (Post 2769383)

They made a load of changes tonight though, they've a huge squad now remember.

G 30-10-13 11:55 PM

Did they, shit. Anyway a draw will do then since its Everton.

Leyton388 31-10-13 12:00 AM

100m spent and they look worse off without bale. I'm sure they will get better but not 100m better.