est1892

est1892 (https://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Liverpool FC (https://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Title Race 18/19 (https://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=90255)

Exiled_red 23-12-18 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danperkins (Post 3522723)
Sterling imo is a hugely improved player the last 2 seasons and his stats show that. 10 goals 8 assists this season in all comps and 23 goals 13 asissts last season. Fantastic numbers, considering he's not a striker, doesn't take any set pieces, corners or pens.

:handshake: I think people here tend to be overly harsh on him because of the manner in which he left us and the fact that he signed for a rival club.

He's improved hugely since he left, his goalscoring ando assist record is one a top player can be happy with. He has also only just turned 24 is is still improving as a player.

BigChief 23-12-18 01:27 PM

Sterling only really came to prominence last season and beginning of this. Unsurprisingly, City were steam rolling teams with the likes of Silva, KdB, Fernandinho, etc. I'm not denying he doesn't possess really dangerous attributes such as his pace and, more recently, his decision making.

But the goal tally is a load of guff for me. If we keep the pressure on City over the next 2 months and Sterling scores 5 or more 'important' league goals (i.e. first goal or winning goal of each game) then I'll hold my hands up.

Kenneth 23-12-18 01:31 PM

He's also a total luxury player. He has lots of pace and has been playing off some of the most creative players in the world at city. He's good at finding space but his best work isn't with the ball. His shooting technique is laughable and if he didn't get the number of chances that he does with city it would be a major liability. Most sides can't afford to scuff a few wide before scoring with the forth. His performances for England are a more accurate way to reflect his ability, and they show huff and puff, moments of excellence with average end product. He's doing a role well at city, but there aren't many sides that have a use for that role.

Norbs 23-12-18 01:47 PM

I think this season represents our best chance. Next season Arsenal will be much stronger and chances are Utd will be spawny enough to mount some sort of challenge. Spurs should start to fade away without Poch, Kane, Alli and money

Buzzo 23-12-18 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth (Post 3522731)
He's also a total luxury player. He has lots of pace and has been playing off some of the most creative players in the world at city. He's good at finding space but his best work isn't with the ball. His shooting technique is laughable and if he didn't get the number of chances that he does with city it would be a major liability. Most sides can't afford to scuff a few wide before scoring with the forth. His performances for England are a more accurate way to reflect his ability, and they show huff and puff, moments of excellence with average end product. He's doing a role well at city, but there aren't many sides that have a use for that role.

Plus he’s a Judas bastard.

Norbs 23-12-18 02:01 PM

:haha:

In a nutshell

baitman 23-12-18 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danperkins (Post 3522701)
The funny thing is that we can still play much better than this. The stronger squad has made a huge difference with rotation. Every game now is huge... especially that City game. If we got a result there, it could really give us some breathing space. They have slipped up recently and last few games they have won, they've been lucky. Silva out has been a huge loss for them. For all the hype around them, there are chinks in their armour that have been exposed with recent weeks.

And every team who watch their videos prior to playing them will see them being a little flaky and having the odd wobble.
Hopefully it gives others some inspiration to go at them and as the season closes and teams are fighting for their survival it could expose them even further.

Norbs 23-12-18 02:09 PM

Has anyone in the league tried to take the game to us yet? PSG did and showed that we could be got at but no one else has had the balls to. I think we're more feared than City now, the tables have truly turned in our favour :rock:

RedReet 23-12-18 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth (Post 3522731)

Nonsense Ken. You can't use the 'he plays for City' excuse, that's so weak. He's basically matching one of the best strikers in the PL for goals and outscoring the rest of his teammates, keeping some world class players on the bench. They all play for City. You claim he's benefiting from playing with the most creative players in the world, but he himself has created 7 goals already this year and 17 last year. What else do you expect from him, bar invent a time machine and wiping his time here from history.

Norbs 23-12-18 02:13 PM

I think I've looked at the league table 15 times today so far :haha:

danperkins 23-12-18 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitman (Post 3522741)
And every team who watch their videos prior to playing them will see them being a little flaky and having the odd wobble.
Hopefully it gives others some inspiration to go at them and as the season closes and teams are fighting for their survival it could expose them even further.

:handshake:

Red_Polo 23-12-18 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norbs (Post 3522737)
I think this season represents our best chance. Next season Arsenal will be much stronger and chances are Utd will be spawny enough to mount some sort of challenge. Spurs should start to fade away without Poch, Kane, Alli and money

I dunno. This is the sort of thing that makes sense if we're playing above our level with all the planets having aligned momentarily presenting a fleeting opportunity. This is not like that - we can play better than we are now! Arsenal and Utd will have a lot to do to be stronger than us any time soon providing we maintain our level. We shouldn't feel like it's now or never. That type of 'only one chance' pressure isn't there, I expect us to have a real shot next season too, and the one after...

BigChief 23-12-18 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norbs (Post 3522744)

:haha::rock:

red g 23-12-18 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norbs (Post 3522737)

Heard this argument for a few years now. teams come and go, We just need to do what we do.

EwarWoo 23-12-18 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red_Polo (Post 3522746)
I dunno. This is the sort of thing that makes sense if we're playing above our level with all the planets having aligned momentarily presenting a fleeting opportunity. This is not like that - we can play better than we are now! Arsenal and Utd will have a lot to do to be stronger than us any time soon providing we maintain our level. We shouldn't feel like it's now or never. That type of 'only one chance' pressure isn't there, I expect us to have a real shot next season too, and the one after...

:handshake::handshake:

Phoenix07 23-12-18 03:12 PM

Quote:

:handshake::handshake::handshake::handshake::hands hake:

I've said this several times already, but I don't know, it's like a subconsciously, people expect us to drop off after that, because it's happened under Houllier, Benitez and Rodgers.

Thankfully, Klopp has experience of falling short, and managing to bounce back. He has the mentality. Wish some of our fans would have the same. I mean, after the Champions League Final loss, we're unbeaten in the league, and signed Gods in Alisson, Fabinho, Keita.

We're here to stay, whether we fall short this season or not. If we win the league this season, I expect a challenge again next season.

Venton 23-12-18 03:39 PM

Quote:

Plus we are usually better in the second half of the season, so....

Buzzo 23-12-18 03:48 PM

Quote:

Likewise, and the upcoming fixtures of all the top 5.

Shaggy 23-12-18 03:52 PM

:haha: Same

Norbs 23-12-18 03:59 PM

Mental innit :haha:

fabinho 23-12-18 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norbs (Post 3522742)
Has anyone in the league tried to take the game to us yet? PSG did and showed that we could be got at but no one else has had the balls to. I think we're more feared than City now, the tables have truly turned in our favour :rock:

Napoli battered us in the first leg, but in the league, no.

The_weatherman 23-12-18 04:31 PM

Quote:

:haha: I just came on to post that, I keep checking it :haha:

Kenneth 23-12-18 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzzo (Post 3522738)
Plus heís a Judas bastard.

Liverpool 23-12-18 04:57 PM

also enjoying reading bluemoon and redcafe :rock::haha:

McDermotX 23-12-18 05:30 PM

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net...8a&oe=5C95D0DD

ChesterDave 23-12-18 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liverpool (Post 3522770)
also enjoying reading bluemoon and redcafe :rock::haha:

Have you noticed how anyone that isn't messing their pants over stadium announcement is a red shite in disguise? They're a peculiar bunch

BobTheCharmer 23-12-18 06:57 PM

Spurs are still in the race.

Norbs 23-12-18 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer (Post 3522817)

Indeed :handshake:

RedReet 23-12-18 07:46 PM

Nah.

RedAndWhite 23-12-18 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedReet (Post 3522825)
Nah.

:handshake:

Fredo 23-12-18 07:56 PM

They are. Only six points behind and having a very good season as well, winning 14 of their 18 games which is ridiculous really.

It's gonna be some title race this.

Liverpool 23-12-18 08:02 PM

Spurs have done amazing to keep up, the amount of their squad in the latter stages of the World Cup and Son at the Asian games.

Weakest squad of the three by a mile though and it will take its toll at some point.

Losing to both 6 pointers us and City is ultimately the difference.

Norbs 23-12-18 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedReet (Post 3522825)
Nah.

If we were 6pts behind we'd think we were in with a good shout

BigChief 23-12-18 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer (Post 3522817)

Spurs have entered a three horse title race. You know where they will finish now don't you? :)

Buzzo 23-12-18 08:56 PM

A 6 (7) point swing is massive at the top. They need us to lose twice and they need to win twice just to draw level.

Not saying it’s impossibe etc. But it’s an ask.

ChesterDave 23-12-18 09:06 PM

Ourselves and Citeh are massive favourites for top 2 spot each only needing the other to mess up. Spurs need both to. Not happening

Liverpool 23-12-18 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzzo (Post 3522836)
A 6 (7) point swing is massive at the top. They need us to lose twice and they need to win twice just to draw level.

Not saying itís impossibe etc. But itís an ask.

They have on paper 3 fairly straight forward games coming up. We could lose to Arsenal/City. City draw at Leicester or Southampton and then its a 3 way tie on 51 points going into the new year. :D

frank the tank 23-12-18 09:36 PM

I think over the second half of the season they play both us and city away from home. That could be big difference. But they have done well to do what they have done.

foresterbloke 23-12-18 10:39 PM

S-RED 23-12-18 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liverpool (Post 3522840)
They have on paper 3 fairly straight forward games coming up. We could lose to Arsenal/City. City draw at Leicester or Southampton and then its a 3 way tie on 51 points going into the new year. :D

but after that, they have 6 weeks of massive games ( bar 1 or 2); they cannot sustain it IMO