est1892

est1892 (https://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   General Football (https://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Tottenham Hotspur (https://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=53657)

Shaggy 17-08-08 12:54 AM

Tottenham Hotspur
 
With the presence of Spurs fan Sisterstiffticket on the forum for the season, I thought it'd be interesting to have this thread following Spurs' fortunes over the season.

My Spurs mate went to Boro today full of optimism :haha: - as usual, he is deflated come tea-time on day one.

What happened Sisterstiffs? Another false dawn? Have to say they looked very poor on the brief highlights on MOTD. Too lightweight, no holding midfielder or anyone capable of putting their foot in. Dos Santos is a gamble (one I don't think will pay off) and the jury is still out on Bent. Much more surgery required IMO.

Johnny 17-08-08 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaggyAlonso (Post 1131528)
With the presence of Spurs fan Sisterstiffticket on the forum for the season, I thought it'd be interesting to have this thread following Spurs' fortunes over the season.

My Spurs mate went to Boro today full of optimism :haha: - as usual, he is deflated come tea-time on day one.

What happened Sisterstiffs? Another false dawn? Have to say they looked very poor on the brief highlights on MOTD. Too lightweight, no holding midfielder or anyone capable of putting their foot in. Dos Santos is a gamble (one I don't think will pay off) and the jury is still out on Bent. Much more surgery required IMO.

Too many new players learning how to gel together?

-V- 17-08-08 03:28 AM

Every man and his dog can see that Tottenham need to sign atleast 1 quality defensive midfielder. Their midfield is far far too lightweight. They will win alot of their home games but they will struggle away from home and against the top 4.

Exiled_red 17-08-08 10:12 AM

From what I saw on MOTD it wasn't just a defensive midfielder they lacked their defense looked dodgy too, at times they were being torn apart.

Sisterstiffticket 17-08-08 10:44 AM

:rant:Usual story for us I'm afraid. Lots of quality players but no bloody backbone. Lots of posts by you lot pointed out our desperate need for a DM and I agreed wholeheartedly.

I think Modric will find it tough for the first half of the season. We'll see the best of him later on. Jenas. Didn't I tell you he'd end up as captain and being the main man. Fuck knows why managers don't see stuff fans see.

Dawson started where he left off last year and looked shot through.

Gomes in goal looks the buisness which is good because we're gonna need him!

I appreciate this thread Shaggy! I'll add to it as time goes on but for now...same old same old...:shake:

Vermilion 17-08-08 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sisterstiffticket (Post 1131625)
:rant:Usual story for us I'm afraid. Lots of quality players but no bloody backbone. Lots of posts by you lot pointed out our desperate need for a DM and I agreed wholeheartedly.

I think Modric will find it tough for the first half of the season. We'll see the best of him later on. Jenas. Didn't I tell you he'd end up as captain and being the main man. Fuck knows why managers don't see stuff fans see.

Dawson started where he left off last year and looked shot through.

Gomes in goal looks the buisness which is good because we're gonna need him!

I appreciate this thread Shaggy! I'll add to it as time goes on but for now...same old same old...:shake:

Looked to me like they targeted Modric from the off, never gave him any time to hurt them, someone was always at him.

Seemed to work too, but it's just one game, and his first in the prem, so can't really say every side will be able to do the same yet.

I was well surprised at this result.

Sisterstiffticket 17-08-08 10:51 AM

Unfortunately Red...I wasn't. But good point about Modric. But considering where we are aiming to be, we just lost to a Middlesborough side that I reckon will be mid table at best.

Still...Win the next game and all will be on the way up again!:cheerleader:

JohnDoe 17-08-08 10:54 AM

Jenas and Modric isn't a strong enough central midfield and it's easy to overrun. You need a strong DM, perhaps even two and move Modric behind Bent if you want to get the best from him.

Darth Marty 17-08-08 10:55 AM

Too early yet but id say that the skillful players which have been purchased may well need a few months to get used to the hustle and bustle of the prem. You will still take 5th comfortably, even if you start your season in december! The berbatov issue needs resolving asap.

JohnDoe 17-08-08 10:57 AM

Aston Villa are a much better team than Tottenham and I think Portsmouth are too. Spurs won't get 5th in my opinion.

Vermilion 17-08-08 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sisterstiffticket (Post 1131632)
Unfortunately Red...I wasn't. But good point about Modric. But considering where we are aiming to be, we just lost to a Middlesborough side that I reckon will be mid table at best.

Still...Win the next game and all will be on the way up again!:cheerleader:

We were close to being in the same boat, but for the class of Torres, ffs our whole performance was disjointed, Keane & Torres...what happened to that superb pairing, made for each other??

But as you say it's just one game, and when the Scum & the Chavs get beat later all will be well, oh lest i forget...Arsenal were shite too really.

Sisterstiffticket 17-08-08 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Marty (Post 1131638)
Too early yet but id say that the skillful players which have been purchased may well need a few months to get used to the hustle and bustle of the prem. You will still take 5th comfortably, even if you start your season in december! The berbatov issue needs resolving asap.

:haha::haha:...I love you Darth. I shall try and take some of your optimism mate. I feel better already!:cheerleader::respect:

-V- 17-08-08 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDoe (Post 1131639)
Aston Villa are a much better team than Tottenham and I think Portsmouth are too. Spurs won't get 5th in my opinion.

I think it will be between Villa and Spurs. Everton will struggle badly this year and will end up bottom half

Portsmouth however won't do as well as some people think. I think Pompeys midfield is really really poor. Major weakness for them and i think Chelsea will overrun them in midfield big time today

Joe King 17-08-08 11:38 AM

Why on earth is Jenas captain? Surely Woodgate would be more inspirational? Anyway, what Spurs need is one fit centreback and a holding player like everyone else has mentioned. Juande also needs to sort the system. For me, he can't pick both Dos Santos and Modric and play them in the middle. They are both too lightweight and mentally might not be there until next year.

wiw 17-08-08 11:59 AM

I thought Modric was more of a hole player then a CM ?

Joe King 17-08-08 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiw (Post 1131715)
I thought Modric was more of a hole player then a CM ?

:handshake:

He played in the middle yesterday and wandered towards the right

Shaggy 17-08-08 12:07 PM

wandered :handshake:


:crackoff:

Joe King 17-08-08 12:07 PM

Whats with Bentley's hair? :haha:

dww 17-08-08 12:16 PM

Did Ramos have a defensive midfielder in his Sevilla sides? I wonder whether he is attempting to use a more Spanish style holding midfielder system where the aim of those player is to be open to take the ball from defense and then rapidly move it up the pitch. I can see that Jenas/Modric have many of the qualities needed to make that work. I agree though that in the PL they lack the necessary physicality and at the very least for such a system to work you require a really solid back 4 which Spurs have yet to develop.

I think Dawson has always been over rated. I suspect he would be decent enough with an experienced leader to do the thinking for him but in general his positioning is woeful and his very error prone. Don't see all that many people bemoaning our failure to sign him any more certainly. I wonder whether Dos Santos will eventually suffer the same fate. It's odd how no one remembers the signings they whinged for us to get for ages when they turn out to be duds.

Sisterstiffticket 17-08-08 12:34 PM

Great points dww...I have to agree though, I think Villa will be the best bet for 5th. I thought that when O'Neill took over it would take him 2 years to build. He's had that now and is ready to go.

Sisterstiffticket 17-08-08 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Tover (Post 1131728)
Whats with Bentley's hair? :haha:

He looks Georgeous!:respect:

wiw 17-08-08 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dww (Post 1131734)
Did Ramos have a defensive midfielder in his Sevilla sides? I wonder whether he is attempting to use a more Spanish style holding midfielder system where the aim of those player is to be open to take the ball from defense and then rapidly move it up the pitch. I can see that Jenas/Modric have many of the qualities needed to make that work. I agree though that in the PL they lack the necessary physicality and at the very least for such a system to work you require a really solid back 4 which Spurs have yet to develop.

I think Dawson has always been over rated. I suspect he would be decent enough with an experienced leader to do the thinking for him but in general his positioning is woeful and his very error prone. Don't see all that many people bemoaning our failure to sign him any more certainly. I wonder whether Dos Santos will eventually suffer the same fate. It's odd how no one remembers the signings they whinged for us to get for ages when they turn out to be duds.

Wasn't it Poulsen?

Rigadon 17-08-08 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDoe (Post 1131637)
Jenas and Modric isn't a strong enough central midfield and it's easy to overrun. You need a strong DM, perhaps even two and move Modric behind Bent if you want to get the best from him.

I think Didi Hamann could help Spurs in the short-term.

Joe King 17-08-08 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dww (Post 1131734)
Did Ramos have a defensive midfielder in his Sevilla sides? I wonder whether he is attempting to use a more Spanish style holding midfielder system where the aim of those player is to be open to take the ball from defense and then rapidly move it up the pitch. I can see that Jenas/Modric have many of the qualities needed to make that work. I agree though that in the PL they lack the necessary physicality and at the very least for such a system to work you require a really solid back 4 which Spurs have yet to develop.

I think Dawson has always been over rated. I suspect he would be decent enough with an experienced leader to do the thinking for him but in general his positioning is woeful and his very error prone. Don't see all that many people bemoaning our failure to sign him any more certainly. I wonder whether Dos Santos will eventually suffer the same fate. It's odd how no one remembers the signings they whinged for us to get for ages when they turn out to be duds.

As wiw said, it was Poulsen and also Keita. They were set up like Liverpool under Rafa 05-06.

Sisterstiffticket 17-08-08 02:37 PM

Why we already love Bentley
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj8GX_2srxw

Great interview. Pulling up in a car to ask if he could sign a Bentley shirt.

Love the geezer.

One girl on the board calls him a 15m Ken doll. and she wants one!

A defo legend in the making.

Joe King 17-08-08 02:39 PM

What a nonce :haha: If Ronald McDildo wasn't in the league, this guy would win poof of the year :crackoff:

Sisterstiffticket 17-08-08 02:44 PM

but he's beautiful! :cheerleader: Why, even Dave himself says so.:haha:

dww 17-08-08 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiw (Post 1131756)
Wasn't it Poulsen?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Tover (Post 1131836)
As wiw said, it was Poulsen and also Keita. They were set up like Liverpool under Rafa 05-06.

So would they be in the Alonso mould of holding player then?

Joe King 17-08-08 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dww (Post 1131847)
So would they be in the Alonso mould of holding player then?

Keita was very much like Sissoko but technically better, Poulsen, yes, very much like Alonso. :handshake:

Sisterstiffticket 17-08-08 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dww (Post 1131847)
So would they be in the Alonso mould of holding player then?


Never mind all that. Is'nt David Lovely!:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

Parm 17-08-08 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDoe (Post 1131637)
Jenas and Modric isn't a strong enough central midfield and it's easy to overrun. You need a strong DM, perhaps even two and move Modric behind Bent if you want to get the best from him.

yup, play a similar system to us, 2 holding, let modric, dos santos and bentely roam behind bent and that looks a lot better.
BerbTOV LOOKED DISGRACEFUL THOUGH, THE SOONER YOU FLOG HIM THE BETTER, WHAT A POOR ATTITUDE

Parm 17-08-08 06:03 PM

oops apologies for the capitals!

Sisterstiffticket 17-08-08 06:14 PM

LOL...he got a 'warm' reception from the fans. My personal feeling is that as soon as someone wants to go, don't play them again. No matter how bloody good they are. I'd rather see a team of reserves fighting their arses off than a team of prima donas.

Matt 17-08-08 06:41 PM

Will Keane get a decent ovation when we go to the Lane?

Elvoz 17-08-08 07:49 PM

spurs will be bullied in so many games this year they have a team of fannys


i think they will stay up but if they finish 9th or higher i will be amazed

Ferrrrnando 17-08-08 08:24 PM

I don't care one bit about Spurs.

Craig_H 17-08-08 08:27 PM

I took particular enjoyment a couple of weeks ago from reading that Spurs forum and seeing about 75% of them claiming that they were better than us 'on paper' and utterly convinced that they'd not only push us for 4th place, but overtake us. :haha:

Shaggy 17-08-08 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig_H (Post 1132090)
I took particular enjoyment a couple of weeks ago from reading that Spurs forum and seeing about 75% of them claiming that they were better than us 'on paper' and utterly convinced that they'd not only push us for 4th place, but overtake us. :haha:

My Spurs mate is the same and nowhere near as realistic as our Spurs poster. He likes to go through the 'strongest elevens' and compare - reckons they stronger. :D He also claims Ramos is a much better manager than Benitez, which to me is totally baseless given their comparative records.

Craig_H 17-08-08 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaggyAlonso (Post 1132091)
My Spurs mate is the same and nowhere near as realistic as our Spurs poster. He likes to go through the 'strongest elevens' and compare - reckons they stronger. :D He also claims Ramos is a much better manager than Benitez, which to me is totally baseless given their comparative records.

Sounds like your mate is on that forum i saw :D

There were several 'player for player' comparisons, a bit like this:

Gomes > Reina
Hutton > Finnan
King > Carragher
Dawson > Agger
Modric > Kuyt
Jenas < Gerrard
Huddleston > Mascherano (:haha: :haha:)
Bentley > Babel
Santos > Keane
Berbatov = Torres
Ramos > Benitez

Therefore, they were convinved that they'd be taking our place in the top four.

As i said before: :haha: :haha: :haha:

I wish i could find which forum it was, but i dont remember. Someone posted a link to it on here, but i cant remember what thread that was on.

Matt 17-08-08 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig_H (Post 1132096)
Sounds like your mate is on that forum i saw :D

There were several 'player for player' comparisons, a bit like this:

Gomes > Reina
Hutton > Finnan
King > Carragher
Dawson > Agger
Modric > Kuyt
Jenas < Gerrard
Huddleston > Mascherano (:haha: :haha:)
Bentley > Babel
Santos > Keane
Berbatov = Torres
Ramos > Benitez

Therefore, they were convinved that they'd be taking our place in the top four.

As i said before: :haha: :haha: :haha:

I wish i could find which forum it was, but i dont remember. Someone posted a link to it on here, but i cant remember what thread that was on.

I'll have some of whatever that guy's on :haha:

I'll give them Modric and possibly Hutton (although he has much to prove) but the rest is hilarious.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.