est1892

est1892 (https://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Liverpool FC (https://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The 'where are they now?' files (https://www.est1892.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=48217)

Shaggy 26-02-08 04:18 PM

The 'where are they now?' files

We spend a lot of our time wondering how our young stars will turn out...will Pacheco go on to be a world beater? Will Nemeth surpass Puskas to become the greatest Hungarian player of all time? :crackoff:

Who knows what the future holds. I’d love to have a glance into it and see who makes it to the top and who plummets down the ladder. We invest time into discussing these players yet when they leave that's it - we lose trace of them almost completely. Perhaps many of us don't give a shit but I do.

This is the thread for rediscovering long lost gems, wonderkids, hoofers or otherwise.

I was thinking about Paul Harrison the other day – our ex-keeper whose father & uncle (?) died at Hillsborough (JFT96). He enjoyed a few sub appearances in the first team before being loaned to Leeds, where he didn’t make a single appearance.

Sadly he’s a virtual amateur these days. Having left us for Wolves, he had spells at Chester, Hereford and Southport – before The Port released him and he signed for TNS last summer.

:sigh:

I’ve also just looked up Igor Biscan. :respect:

I think most of us knew he’d been surprisingly released by Panathinaikos last summer. I couldn’t help but notice that he didn’t feature at all on the first version of FM08. He was without a club! :cry:

Get this though...

He signed for Dinamo Zagreb in December, has been restored to his favoured defensive midfield position and has scored 6 goals in 14 appearances so far! :rock: :rock: :rock:

BFG 26-02-08 04:21 PM

Igor! :rock:

Worth a punt with Momo now gone?

Tee 26-02-08 04:23 PM

I have always wondered what happened to Titi Camara.....

Looked him up and apparently he is playing in the French second division for Amiens SC.

BFG 26-02-08 04:25 PM

Sean Dundee's playing for 'Stuttgarter Kickers' now apparently. How the fuck did that guy get a move to LFC? :haha:

el matador 26-02-08 04:27 PM

ive always wondered what happened to torben piechnik. He was touted by souness as some one who had a lot of international experience and was worth considerably more than we paid for him.

He was subsequently proved to be wrong.

ps dont forget the stig

Shaggy 26-02-08 04:28 PM

Two strikers tipped for the top a few years ago…

Jon Newby toured the lower leagues for a few years before dropping out of it with Southport. Happily he’s now back in the league with Morecambe. This sharp-shooter has (according to Wiki) scored 29 goals in a 242 game career so far! :haha:

John Miles has trodden a similar path to Newby, although he’s remained in the top 4 divisions. Currently on Accrington Stanley’s payroll, he recently joined MK Dons on-loan. Ince obviously rates the lad. Miles has 23 career goals to his name from 135 career appearances. :D

matycowling1007 26-02-08 04:28 PM

jon welsh "the next gerrard" is at hull

Tee 26-02-08 04:28 PM

Vegard Heggem..... Veggie is currently the owner and manager of a salmon fishing business at the river Orkla in Sør-Trøndelag, Norway.

Assassin 26-02-08 04:31 PM

Kewell - has he left yet?

Guest 26-02-08 04:32 PM

Got any work Shaggy ? :crackoff:

Pablo 26-02-08 04:38 PM

Craig Linfield could be the next one to add to that list. Just returned from a one month loan spell with Chester. Not sure where hi fits in at the club anymore with Nemeth seemingly usurping him.

smither 26-02-08 04:47 PM

Oyvind Leonhardsen - 41 appearances, 7 goals for Stromsgodset last season in a title winning year :rock:

Maestro 26-02-08 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BFG (Post 966993)
Sean Dundee's playing for 'Stuttgarter Kickers' now apparently. How the fuck did that guy get a move to LFC? :haha:

Sean Dundee had actually been shit hot in the Bundesliga for a few years before joining us - he was around the top of the goalscoring charts for two seasons running, despite playing for an average enough team.
If memory serves, he had an opportunity to play for any one of four national teams - South Africa, Australia, Germany and Republic of Ireland, and decided to plump for Germany. This decision coincided with his move to LFC and his form turning to absolute muck. :haha:
A few years ago, he was a reserve striker for Austria Vienna, and didn't manage 1 goal in something like 18 appearances. What a turkey!

smither 26-02-08 04:51 PM

Nicky Rizzo - played 12 games for Perth Glory this season after being 'fans favourite' at MK Dons, with loans to Grimsby and Chesterfield too

Reece 26-02-08 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaggyAlonso (Post 966985)
Sadly he’s a virtual amateur these days. Having left us for Wolves, he had spells at Chester, Hereford and Southport – before The Port released him and he signed for TNS last summer.

TNS!

Maestro 26-02-08 04:54 PM

What about Ritchie Partridge? He was always touted as a shit hot tricky winger who would break into the first team, but his injuries fucked his career royally.
He's playing for Chester now….I'll never forget LFC offering him a 1 year contract when he was crocked, and not for the life of me understanding why.
Then I read that he was going out with (now married to) Michael Owen's sister. :eyebrow:
This was just around the time that we were trying to convince MO to stay with us…coincidence, or what?!?

BFG 26-02-08 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro (Post 967033)
Sean Dundee had actually been shit hot in the Bundesliga for a few years before joining us - he was around the top of the goalscoring charts for two seasons running, despite playing for an average enough team.
If memory serves, he had an opportunity to play for any one of four national teams - South Africa, Australia, Germany and Republic of Ireland, and decided to plump for Germany. This decision coincided with his move to LFC and his form turning to absolute muck. :haha:
A few years ago, he was a reserve striker for Austria Vienna, and didn't manage 1 goal in something like 18 appearances. What a turkey!

Fair enough then (to an extent :haha:). I knew he'd done well the year before he came but wasn't aware he'd done it a bit more consistently. :handshake:

Shaggy 26-02-08 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro (Post 967040)
What about Ritchie Partridge? He was always touted as a shit hot tricky winger who would break into the first team, but his injuries fucked his career royally.
He's playing for Chester now….I'll never forget LFC offering him a 1 year contract when he was crocked, and not for the life of me understanding why.
Then I read that he was going out with (now married to) Michael Owen's sister. :eyebrow:
This was just around the time that we were trying to convince MO to stay with us…coincidence, or what?!?

:handshake:

Partridge went to Wednesday and I assured my Wednesday fan mate that he was very skilful and would "tear their league apart".

They promptly shipped him off to Rotherham, where he couldn't get a game. :o

smither 26-02-08 04:56 PM

Quote:

Who's Michael Owen?

Reaper 26-02-08 05:01 PM

Jimmy Carter anyone?

Maestro 26-02-08 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper (Post 967045)
Jimmy Carter anyone?

To be fair though, it was quite an honour in those days to be President of the United States. :handshake:

Reaper 26-02-08 05:06 PM

And to be fairer it is probably regarded as even more of a honour to clean the boots of players at Anfield tho Maestro :handshake:

Maestro 26-02-08 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper (Post 967053)
And to be fairer it is probably regarded as even more of a honour to clean the boots of players at Anfield tho Maestro :handshake:

:D

Here's one...what's happened with Stéphane Henchoz?
I think he's still on Blackburn's books, but hasn't played for them in ages.

Yozza 26-02-08 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro (Post 967057)
:D

Here's one...what's happened with Stéphane Henchoz?
I think he's still on Blackburn's books, but hasn't played for them in ages.

Dunno but I bumped into him just before xmas here in mancland - he was with his totally gorgeous wife & their young lad...

He said he was never given a full explanation why he had to leave Anfield - was told one monday morning that Blackburn had come in for him, he had no chance at Anfield & he was to go... he seemed well gutted still :confused:

Shaggy 26-02-08 05:23 PM

Thought he went to Wigan first?

Yozza 26-02-08 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaggyAlonso (Post 967077)
Thought he went to Wigan first?

It was one of the NW pie eating clubs... :handshake:

Red_Polo 26-02-08 05:32 PM

Not a youngster but it just occurred to me - wtf happened with Pegguy Arphexad?! :D

According to wiki, he only made 11 league appearances since he left us! Went to Stockport on loan before tranferring to Coventry, Notts County on loan, then on to Marseille. Is 34 now and no longer playing.

Maestro 26-02-08 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yozza (Post 967070)
Dunno but I bumped into him just before xmas here in mancland - he was with his totally gorgeous wife & their young lad...

He said he was never given a full explanation why he had to leave Anfield - was told one monday morning that Blackburn had come in for him, he had no chance at Anfield & he was to go... he seemed well gutted still :confused:

That kind of thing happens a lot. :(

Red_Polo 26-02-08 05:37 PM

:(

Henchoz :respect:

Shaggy 26-02-08 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red_Polo (Post 967083)
Not a youngster but it just occurred to me - wtf happened with Pegguy Arphexad?! :D

According to wiki, he only made 11 league appearances since he left us! Went to Stockport on loan before tranferring to Coventry, Notts County on loan, then on to Marseille. Is 34 now and no longer playing.

That's a shame. 34 is fairly young for a keeper and he surely should still be able to play at some level of the professional game?!?

Mind you, he was rubbish.

What about another of Houllier's 'gems'?

CARL MEDJANI!

He eventually returned to France with the mighty Lorient, and they have duly farmed him out on loan to Ajaccio!!

Shaggy 26-02-08 05:42 PM

Just had a blast from the past and recalled David Mannix, who was farmed out on-loan to some bizarrely named Norwegian (Danish?) club called Ham Kam or something.

He is now plying his trade for, SURPRISE SURPRISE, Accrington Stanley!!!

I saw Vignal (I had high hopes for him :shake:) playing for Southampton recently.

homer1 26-02-08 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaggyAlonso (Post 967091)

CARL MEDJANI!

Poached from under the nose of Fergie ...................... allegedly :crackoff:

Never forget Bobby Robson being interviewed speaking after he had captured Hugo Viana for £8.5m saying that Ged had rang him up and said "you bugger (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)" - proud as punch he was that he had stolen a march on us

Thanks fuck we aren't talking about him as being another of our expensive flops - is he still at Valencia?

PaulLinehan 26-02-08 05:46 PM

Quote:

richie was rated as better than duff and robbie keane in the irish youth set up. He went on loan to coventry the seaosn before stephen warnock went there and richie was voted as their player of the season that year... he was also voted into the championship team of the season and was heavily tipped to break into our team the year later.....

such a pity if you ask me......

homer1 26-02-08 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaggyAlonso (Post 967095)
Just had a blast from the past and recalled David Mannix, who was farmed out on-loan to some bizarrely named Norwegian (Danish?) club called Ham Kam or something.

He is now plying his trade for, SURPRISE SURPRISE, Accrington Stanley!!!

I saw Vignal (I had high hopes for him :shake:) playing for Southampton recently.

I remember him, wasn't he supposed to have a big future but had a bad injury or something?

Yozza 26-02-08 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaggyAlonso (Post 967095)

He looked a decent player - shame about the French mentality

Shaggy 26-02-08 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulLinehan (Post 967102)
richie was rated as better than duff and robbie keane in the irish youth set up. He went on loan to coventry the seaosn before stephen warnock went there and richie was voted as their player of the season that year... he was also voted into the championship team of the season and was heavily tipped to break into our team the year later.....

such a pity if you ask me......

Any idea what went wrong for the lad? My Wednesday mate says he looked woeful - low on confidence and desire.

dww 26-02-08 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homer1 (Post 967101)
Poached from under the nose of Fergie ...................... allegedly :crackoff:

Never forget Bobby Robson being interviewed speaking after he had captured Hugo Viana for £8.5m saying that Ged had rang him up and said "you bugger (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)" - proud as punch he was that he had stolen a march on us

Thanks fuck we aren't talking about him as being another of our expensive flops - is he still at Valencia?

The thing is that apparently both United and Arsenal were after him but that must be true of so many young players. In the sense that at least they have them scouted just like us. Under Houllier we seemed to put too much faith in too few young players and seemed to pay a lot for many of them and failed to develop any at all really.

I think a lot of the problems came from a failure to create a united youth and reserve policy and use loans in any way constructively. The Houllier-Heighway disagreements cost us a great deal in the long run IMO. It was interesting that Rafa was so quick to get rid of Heighway.

PaulLinehan 26-02-08 05:52 PM

soon to be forgotten:

neil mellor, ant le tallac.....

i see josemi is still getting on the bench with villareal and antonio nunez is playing in the segunda with my local club celta vigo - surely two of the worst players to get in a champions league winning photograph.....

Red_Polo 26-02-08 05:56 PM

I always thought Viana was really talented, as I recall he was just soft as fuck - physically and mentally.

JonesLegend02 26-02-08 05:57 PM

One of my personal favourites is keeper Michael Stensgaard, who never made the first team after dislocating his shoulder putting up an ironing board.

He was a Danish Under-21 international and really highly rated, and I can remember slagging off Evans for not giving him a chance when James was at the peak of his Calamity phase.

Now retired according to Wiki. Cost £400,000.