Thread: Jürgen Klopp
View Single Post
Old 06-01-21, 12:00 PM   #7971
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
i think he was playing Henderson in defense to give him some experience playing next to Fabinho - with the united game in mind. That is the only explanation I can see because Williams and Phillips were both on the bench and therefore available to play.

Gini and Thiago will play fine together. It is the other position in midfield that he needs to really think about for the United game. Oxlade did two thirds of fuck all against Southampton. Not sure he will be the right guy to play v United.

Shaqiri didn't exactly stake his claim either.

Not sure he will start with Milner because Milner probably won't last the full game against United.

Perhaps Minamino behind the front 3???
That was my thought too at the start of the game, not really sure how well it worked for the team overall. I agree that Gini and Thiago are fine as 2 of a midfield three but I think in an ideal world particularly against one of the top sides you would probably want Henderson or Fabinho in there as the third CM. If they are both playing CB then obviously that doesn't happen. The question for me is really does a midfield 3 of Henderson, Gini, Thiago and a CB pairing of Fabinho and Williams/Phillips give us a better balance than a CB pairing of Fabinho and Henderson, with a midfield of Gini, Thiago and someone else?