Thread: Cricket
View Single Post
Old 24-09-13, 12:00 AM   #18
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Feel bad for Onions. Think he's had a real rough deal.

Pleased though to see Tremlett and Stokes in...and to a lesser extent Carberry.
Yeah, feel bad for Onions too, I think he probably should have gone because he is the best Anderson replacement we have. I'm not totally surprised though because if he was ever going to play for England again he would have been picked for the Test Match at Durham. His county record is fantastic but I've not seen him bowl apart from one test match last summer where I thought he'd lost a yard of pace since his injury and looked largely ineffectual. I think the selectors have moved on.

I put Tremlett in the same category. I've not seen him bowl, but by all accounts he too has lost a yard of pace since his injury and hasn't look anywhere near as menacing. His figures for his county this summer are pretty modest too. If they wanted to take him to Australia then they should've picked him for the Oval Test Match to have a proper look at him. Barring injury there is only 1 seamer spot up for grabs and I'd imagine Finn and Rankin are ahead of him at the moment and so he'll have to bowl bloody well in the warm up games to jump ahead of them in the pecking order.

IMO Carberry is a ridiculous pick. I thought he looked ropey in the one day games, in his one decent score (60 odd) he played a missed about a hundred times! His form with the red ball this summer has been poor too and I just don't understand what he is doing in the squad. If they wanted to take another opener then it should have been Compton. Is it is sign they are worried about Root and are considering moving him down the order?

I still think Stokes could bat at 6, but maybe they'll give Balance a chance, Vaughan certainly rates him very highly.
captainfog is offline   Reply With Quote