It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 01-02-07, 12:50 PM   #1
tomasjj
Paisley

RAWK blog offers more nuanced pic of Gillett

http://blog.redandwhitekop.com/2007/...-a-man-can-get
tomasjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 01-02-07, 12:56 PM   #2
AFII
Est's Prodigal Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasjj View Post

I still believe DIC would have been the better deal.

According to Benitez it's important not simply to go out to win but to go out prepared to win, which means players have to put in the same level of work on a daily basis. Anything else is unacceptable.
AFII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 12:56 PM   #3
Slim
Shankly

Cheers for posting that Tomas.

There is just so much stuff flying about at the moment it is hard to get any sort of balanced picture of Gillett. Its hard to know what to believe.
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 12:56 PM   #4
Red Chilli
AFII's Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFII View Post

I still believe DIC would have been the better deal.
Based on what?
"A weak currency is the sign of a weak economy,which is the sign of a weak government"
Red Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 12:59 PM   #5
DeeGame
Paisley

The best a man can get?
Well with the collapse of the DIC deal, the internet and phone-ins have gone into meltdown. If you listen to some naysayers we’re on the verge of bankruptcy and will be relegated next season.

Some seem concerned that Gillett’s people have completed “due dilligence” in just three days, but the true story is he’s been looking at our books for ages, not just the last three days. The initial examination only stopped when DIC came forward with what looked (initially) like a better proposal.

Gillett was at the Community Shield game in Cardiff in August to see us beat Chelsea before flying up to speak to the club the day after. His people were then at the club for a number of days at the start of November and then later on the same month looking at contracts etc and around that time he was considered favourite to takeover the club, ahead of both DIC and the John Miskelly consortium.

All this seems to have been forgotten in the rush to embrace DIC and Sheikh Mohammed’s vast resources.

Gillett’s sporting record also seems to have been glibly dismissed. Not only did he own a substantial share of the Miami Dolphins at one stage but also made a fortune out of the Harlem Globetrotters. He bought and then built Vail ski resort into the massive success it is today twice taking the World Skiing Championships there. He achieved this by investing heavily in the facilities in the same way LFC needs to do with the new stadium

Gillett was also the driving force (if you excuse the pun) in taking motor racing back to the streets of Denver and he has owned the Montreal Canadiens, who are the NHL equivalent of Liverpool in terms of prestige and success, since 2001.

This is no naive US businessman. Was he bankrupt once? Yes but then many successful businessman have been. His company got caught up in the massive hike in interest rates in the very early 90s after the junk bond scandal - this caught out many people at the time. Since then he’s totally rebuilt his wide and varied business empire, though still resolutely refuses to invest in razors.

Before condemning all and sundry on the Liverpool board, isn’t it wise to hear what Gillett has to offer? And possibly what DIC didn’t?

Quote:
Old 01-02-07, 01:17 PM   #6
AFII
Est's Prodigal Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chilli View Post
Based on what?
IF Gillett is alone that's.

DIC have much more money than Gillett and we don't know how Gillett will finance the deal. DIC may have sold the club in ten years time, no one knows that but they would have paid for the stadium and cleared our debts without any problem at all IMO.

According to Benitez it's important not simply to go out to win but to go out prepared to win, which means players have to put in the same level of work on a daily basis. Anything else is unacceptable.
Old 01-02-07, 01:19 PM   #7
Red Chilli
AFII's Nemesis

Quote:
IF Gillett is alone that's.

DIC have much more money than Gillett and we don't know how Gillett will finance the deal. DIC may have sold the club in ten years time, no one knows that but they would have paid for the stadium and cleared our debts without any problem at all IMO.

So apart from DIC have more money than Gillett, which I accept, the rest is all your opinion and not based on observable fact?
"A weak currency is the sign of a weak economy,which is the sign of a weak government"
Red Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 01:20 PM   #8
Fierce
I'm only the bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chilli View Post
So apart from DIC have more money than Gillett, which I accept, the rest is all your opinion and not based on observable fact?
Of course! Haven't you seen the AFII above the picture?
Old 01-02-07, 01:43 PM   #9
jonesie
Needs a better nickname

We don't know the whole ins and outs of the situation. We are just gonna have to trust Moores and Parry.

I find it hard to believe (well alright, I don't want to believe) that Moores will just sell up to the highest bidder all for his own gain. He's a Red like the rest of us.

This is arguably the biggest and most important chapter in our long history. We're just gonna have to hope for the best.

Hold on tight.

My son Foster is a fan of soccer. He was a goaltender. His brother was a defenseman.
George Gillett
jonesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 01:58 PM   #10
Parm
Skipinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim View Post
Cheers for posting that Tomas.

There is just so much stuff flying about at the moment it is hard to get any sort of balanced picture of Gillett. Its hard to know what to believe.
agree, dont know who the villain of this all is. Is it DIC Parry Gillet? Is there a villain or any heros?

"Who's your Daddy now?"

LFC Champions one season someday
Jurgen Klopp is just boss
Semi retired poster
twitter: @parmsahota
insta:@parm78
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 02:00 PM   #11
DeeGame
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
agree, dont know who the villain of this all is. Is it DIC Parry Gillet? Is there a villain or any heros?
Need commas mate or that person was so unlucky being named "DIC Parry Gillet" at birth
Old 01-02-07, 02:11 PM   #12
redlancer
Fagan

Quote:
Atleast with Gillett Crouch will be going nowhere

loads of knee jerk reaction here. Is everyone just seeing pound sign's.

Funding for the stadium and say 2 players aside we only need to improve our marketing and revenue to compete long term finacially.

Moores has taken years to find our new owner.
He would never knowingly sell us out and the fact he's taken so long to find a deal implies he's making sure of this.

Moores is Liverpool thro and thro and anyone who thinks DIC are by thier comments yesterday needs thier head examaning
Old 01-02-07, 02:11 PM   #13
Parm
Skipinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGame View Post
Need commas mate or that person was so unlucky being named "DIC Parry Gillet" at birth
bitch!!

"Who's your Daddy now?"

LFC Champions one season someday
Jurgen Klopp is just boss
Semi retired poster
twitter: @parmsahota
insta:@parm78
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 02:14 PM   #14
JRC
Evans

There are some interesting comments from Canadians on the 606 mb - they point out that the Montreal Canadiens have a very specific and iconic place in their community and amongst their fans (being francophone, having a distinguished history etc) and fans were concerend about Gillett, but now accept that he has been very sensitive to their ethos, heritage and values.

Admittedly, they haven't won much under him, but are 'well-run' apparently, and the lack of success 'could' be more due to new NHL rules - salary cap etc.
JRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 02:20 PM   #15
steveheighwayrobbery
Fagan

Quote:
DIC Parry Gillett, the villain is a copper? Book him Danno
steveheighwayrobbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 02:37 PM   #16
MORPHEUS
Souness

Quote:
Personally - being a very cynical sort of person after yesterday's bizarre nonsense - if I had to look for a villain it would be Steve Morgan. We know he and Moores are enemies. I wonder if Morgan has been feeding Gillett with stuff about the DIC deal and between them they spotted an opening last week. For sure it seems odd that Gillett came in at this late stage - or an example of amazing brinkmanship. If he's so keen why didn't he come in earlier? And 3 days to complete Due Diligence - unheard of!

To be fair to Gillett he reputedly is hands-off when buying a business so there's no suggestion just yet that Moores would go and Morgan be instated. But you have to say Morgan's been very quiet of late - why? - and Gilllett could do with his money.

This is all speculation. Maybe Morgan has no part in the shenanigans. Maybe he is actually a far better bet to run and manage LFC than Moores and Parry and we need him.Who knows. Well we don't - that's for sure. At this stage I am trying very hard not to blame Moores as I have always thought he only wants the best for the Club.

But there's a rat in there somewhere. Amidst all the emotion and knee-jerk on here, there's something which simply does not add up.
MORPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 02:45 PM   #17
FatTony
Dalglish

I do wish people would stop making references to The Harlem Globetrotters when talking of Gillett's sports dealings.
FatTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 02:53 PM   #18
MORPHEUS
Souness

Reading Bascombe's article - maybe I was a bit harsh trying to finger Morgan.

Not that Bacombe's article proves anything.
MORPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 02:54 PM   #19
anfieldanfield
I am the Walrus

I admire the eternally optimisitic RAWK writers, they do tend to put a good spin on everything.

But one minute we're being told by Parry the DIC deal is almost done and 'will take us to the next level'.

The next we're being told, actually Moores prefered Gillett all along.

I just dont buy it. Not for a second.

I'm not saying the yank wont be good for the club, I am saying I think he was very much the backup choice.
anfieldanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 02:57 PM   #20
AFII
Est's Prodigal Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by anfieldanfield View Post
I admire the eternally optimisitic RAWK writers, they do tend to put a good spin on everything.

But one minute we're being told by Parry the DIC deal is almost done and 'will take us to the next level'.

The next we're being told, actually Moores prefered Gillett all along.

I just dont buy it. Not for a second.

I'm not saying the yank wont be good for the club, I am saying I think he was very much the backup choice.

I also don't understand why it would have been wrong with a quick 12 hour decision? Our board already knew everything about the bid from DIC so why delay any decision even longer?

Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 01-02-07, 03:07 PM   #21
tomasjj
Paisley

Quote:

I also don't understand why it would have been wrong with a quick 12 hour decision? Our board already knew everything about the bid from DIC so why delay any decision even longer?
Put it this way, why did DIC pose such a 12 hour ultimatum after horsing about for so long themselves?

Did they know their claim would be rejected, forcing Moores' hand?
tomasjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 03:14 PM   #22
Dhav
Telamonian Ajax

Quote:

Quote:
Put it this way, why did DIC pose such a 12 hour ultimatum after horsing about for so long themselves?

Did they know their claim would be rejected, forcing Moores' hand?
Either way we, the fans, have been conned. If as Parry says, (and I am fed up of typing this over and over again) this was the deal to take us to the next level, and DIC were fans that understood the heritage of the club etc, why the hell would they need 12 hours to decide? They wouldn't need 12 seconds.

Seems to me Parry and Moores are trying to find the best deal for themselves, and just trying to sell it to the fans, whoever it may be that month. Last month Dic, this month Gillett, next month teh Northern Irish fella or whoever.

Either way, I've not read anything yet that convinces me that this guy is the right man for our club.

Purslow = C*nt
Dhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 03:16 PM   #23
AFII
Est's Prodigal Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhavlos View Post
Either way we, the fans, have been conned. If as Parry says, (and I am fed up of typing this over and over again) this was the deal to take us to the next level, and DIC were fans that understood the heritage of the club etc, why the hell would they need 12 hours to decide? They wouldn't need 12 seconds.

Seems to me Parry and Moores are trying to find the best deal for themselves, and just trying to sell it to the fans, whoever it may be that month. Last month Dic, this month Gillett, next month teh Northern Irish fella or whoever.

Either way, I've not read anything yet that convinces me that this guy is the right man for our club.

Old 01-02-07, 03:27 PM   #24
anfieldanfield
I am the Walrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhavlos View Post

Gillett is not even worth substantially more than Moores or even Morgan!

It makes little or no sense to be selling the club to him, especially in such a haze of confusion and uncertainty.

It's truly bizarre.
Old 01-02-07, 03:30 PM   #25
Mumsafan
Paisley

Looks like it's becoming a panic sale
Old 01-02-07, 03:31 PM   #26
AFII
Est's Prodigal Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumsafan View Post
It has been a panic sale for the last years.

Old 01-02-07, 03:31 PM   #27
anfieldanfield
I am the Walrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumsafan View Post
Yep, that's what it *feels* like anyway.

Worrying.

I cant believe I'm actually saying this, but...

I kind of hope it all collapses and we're back to square one!

Do I mean that ? Not sure.
Old 01-02-07, 03:33 PM   #28
AFII
Est's Prodigal Son

I don't hope that. No one knows what would happen then.

Rafa may leave or something like that. No one knows what promises Parry gave him when he signed his new deal.

Old 01-02-07, 03:36 PM   #29
anfieldanfield
I am the Walrus

Quote:
I don't hope that. No one knows what would happen then.

Rafa may leave or something like that. No one knows what promises Parry gave him when he signed his new deal.
Yeah, I know, we really do need this all sorted out NOW.

Suppose this Gillett lad might be better than we all think.

*shrugs*

Fingers crossed, eh ?
Old 01-02-07, 03:39 PM   #30
AFII
Est's Prodigal Son

Quote:
Yeah, I know, we really do need this all sorted out NOW.

Suppose this Gillett lad might be better than we all think.

*shrugs*

Fingers crossed, eh ?
Yes.

Even that it may not be the best deal at least we would get the stadium sorted out and Rafa would probably stay.

Old 01-02-07, 04:00 PM   #31
Dhav
Telamonian Ajax

Quote:
Gillett is not even worth substantially more than Moores or even Morgan!

It makes little or no sense to be selling the club to him, especially in such a haze of confusion and uncertainty.

It's truly bizarre.
a true, yet completely depressing thought. As I said in the other thread, I dont understand the logic of selling to this guy. We're in debt which is why we want to sell and the new stadium is sending us further into the red, yet we want to sell to someone who will have to borrow to fund his purchase of the club, thus sending us further into debt.

But it's ok though, because we can trust Parry can't we?

Purslow = C*nt
Dhav is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC