It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 20-06-19, 11:03 PM   #121
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Hopefully it will ruin a load of games early doors and they can fuck it off altogether.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 20-06-19, 11:22 PM   #122
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbread View Post
I support Brisbane. Been a season ticket holder for 5 years. While they have gone backwards, which I can take, the VAR kills it. It takes too long, you donít know whatís happening and even if it is a correct decision you canít help but feel youíve be done. I remember reading that Brisbane had been on the wrong end of more mistakes than any other team. Donít know if itís true but it feels like it.

One problem is they show the replay of a goal and you can see somethings off and every knows it but they donít check. Players have started waiting for replays and saying to the ref look can you check it but they donít. It just frustrates so much and takes away some of the drama and fun. Then when it all looks good they check and it goes on and on. I sometimes feel like the refs are protecting each other and not making any changes when they should.

Penalties are the worst because one refs says yes but the other says no so no one is happy in the end. It was supposed to be clear errors but even those arenít changed. The number of dodgy penalties still given and not overturned is ridiculous. Doesnít stop blatant diving.

I could rant for ages, I just hate it and donít see it working. I mean two grand finals with VAR and both times itís fucked it up!
Unfortunately it sounds like I fear, it seems clear to me from the limited use of if for English clubs in England and Europe as well as the world Cup, that despite various different interpretations/uses of VAR it seems that no one has got it right either in what it is used for or how it is used.

The original idea of VAR correcting the clearly wrong decisions seemed a good one, and may be applied correctly here as I can't recall any VAR cockups (I don't follow Australian football so don't know about the issues you mention there). However the main talking points are the application of VAR to certain circumstances and not to others. It seems to me that the rules of the game were written in an era before such technology and were never really meant to be applied so rigorously as someone being a cm offside or a GK's boot being off the line. No doubt the statistians can tell you that it has overturned alot of incorrect decisions, but no-one wants decisions microscopically examined at the expense of the excitement of the game
Old 20-06-19, 11:24 PM   #123
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post
Hopefully it will ruin a load of games early doors and they can fuck it off altogether.
It might ruin a load of games but I don't see them changing what it is used for as that will be deemed unfair, at best they will be able to clarify the interpretation of it's use.
Old 23-06-19, 06:55 PM   #124
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Every game in the women's world cup is being dominated by VAR. It's a heartless soul destroying introduction that adds nothing and only detracts from what we all enjoy.
Old 23-06-19, 06:56 PM   #125
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

I think the on-field referee was the biggest issue in the England game tbh. And the fact that Cameroon had several nutters in their team.
Old 23-06-19, 09:37 PM   #126
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
I think the on-field referee was the biggest issue in the England game tbh. And the fact that Cameroon had several nutters in their team.
Yeah those things contributed. But to rule out a goal for offside which was ridiculously close is crazy. Trying to get perfect decisions is going to kill the game.

Now VAR is rearing its head in the France Brazil game and ruling out a goal for very little again. Football was enjoyable last season without it and all the previous years. Football should be about emotion. It's not a game of chess. It's not required.
Old 23-06-19, 10:17 PM   #127
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post
Yeah those things contributed. But to rule out a goal for offside which was ridiculously close is crazy. Trying to get perfect decisions is going to kill the game.

Now VAR is rearing its head in the France Brazil game and ruling out a goal for very little again. Football was enjoyable last season without it and all the previous years. Football should be about emotion. It's not a game of chess. It's not required.
Old 24-06-19, 08:28 AM   #128
Charly
Dalglish

Said that from the start.

Also Dont like the idea of such a massive difference between var at the top level and lower leagues. by all means use the goalline tech. not a fan of how its being used and the instinct will be to increase its use, as it has on penalties.
Old 11-08-19, 08:31 AM   #129
Exiled_red
Paisley

What are people thinking about it after the first few games? While it was funny to see Sterling's goal chalked off I don't think that a decision that tight can be called accurately. Ultimately that decision came down determining where his arm ended and his shoulder began, as well as identifying the exact moment the ball was played.

Does anyone know what the supposed margin of error is for VAR?
Old 11-08-19, 11:03 AM   #130
Pepe79
Dalglish

I really can’t be arsed seeing the game be delayed for 5 mins to determine if the seam of a player’s shirt is offside.
Pepe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-19, 01:45 PM   #131
Tribute
Dalglish

VAR can fuck right off. Yes, it may get to the right decision 90% of the time but as we saw in the City game with Sterling's disallowed goal, there's still interpretation on whether it was a sleeve, arm, shoulder, something you can score with, some part of the body you can't, shoelace, finger, ponytail... the list is bloody endless.

I stopped watching the City game at that point and didn't watch any of the other weekend games not because VAR technology is or isn't great/shite. But more because it has actually completely killed any enjoyment in a game waiting 3 mins+ to see if a goal stands or doesn't. VAR seems to be lording it over every decision... it kills any ability to celebrate a goal until the euphoria of scoring the goal is long since passed.

Not for me, I'm afraid. Will only watch our games from now on - can't be arsed with the technology interrupting every single emotive part of the game...
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-19, 01:48 PM   #132
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Bit dramatic after 1 week, is it not?

RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-19, 01:54 PM   #133
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-19, 09:43 AM   #134
maxwellbaxter
Houllier

Would love to see someone given offside with a Carlos valderrama style hair style
Old 13-08-19, 01:53 PM   #135
Tribute
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReet View Post
Bit dramatic after 1 week, is it not?

...I stand by it. It's utter wank and killing the enjoyment of the game.
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-19, 02:05 PM   #136
Scratch
If you fail once....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute View Post
...I stand by it. It's utter wank and killing the enjoyment of the game.
I dunno, I also think it adds a little something, as TV viewer, when watching teams you dislike and waiting for VAR to overrule (or not) a goal given against the under-dog...there's a sense of hope and expectation that the despair of seeing them score might be erased!

Of course, waiting for it to confirm if your team has scored has the opposite feeling, but swings and roundabouts etc.
Old 13-08-19, 06:43 PM   #137
Charly
Dalglish

Id take a shite ref and two corrupt linesmen over var.
Old 13-08-19, 11:34 PM   #138
McDermotX
Paisley

One thing that needs to be nipped in the bud, rapid, is the explanations to the players after every referral or nonreferral to VAR.
One can only assume it's because it's new, but players are so fucking thick and have had years of having some fucking neck, that it'll be a hard habit to drop. Refs need to be decisive.
At least half a dozen occasions in the City game the other day, the ref was wasting even more time giving explanations to the City players........add this to the time already spent and it'll get old, real fast.
Old 14-08-19, 06:36 AM   #139
Scratch
If you fail once....

If it's gone to VAR and they're awaiting a decision, then the ref talking to the players about what is being referred upstairs isn't going to waste any time, as play won't restart until a decision is reached. Unless you're saying that even after the decision has been broadcast, the players and ref are still having a chinwag, which I've not noticed myself?
Old 14-08-19, 11:35 AM   #140
McDermotX
Paisley

Aye.....on nearly half a dozen occasions after the decision had been announced in the stadium, the ref was delaying restart being badgered by players. Sterling in particular seemed unable to grasp the logic of it, Silva as well.

Like I said, hopefully it's an opening few week thing and it'll gradually go away, but considering it was happening during the WC (albeit VAR was in a closed loop), we'll have to wait and see.
I actually don't blame the players, it's a weak ref that would indulge them. Immediately after the decision is made......play on, any moaners can stand there talking to thin air as everyone else gets on with it.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 14-08-19, 12:35 PM   #141
fah-q
Touching cloth

They're primed by Pep to waste as much time/break rhythms as possible so I wouldn't be surprised that this is some kind of tactic on their part.
fah-q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-19, 11:36 PM   #142
ChesterDave
Paisley

Has the potential to work, if not staffed by raging fucking imbeciles
Old 14-08-19, 11:38 PM   #143
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterDave View Post
Has the potential to work, if not staffed by raging fucking imbeciles
Hung the ref out to dry tonight. Was obviously the wrong decision from the ref, but those are the ones VAR are supposed to help with.

Suspicious lack of camera angles available.
Old 14-08-19, 11:45 PM   #144
ChesterDave
Paisley

Yep. Can absolutely understand a ref getting that type of decision wrong in real time but with the benefit of replays and multiple angles unforgiveable for a video ref to be wrong
Old 15-08-19, 09:53 AM   #145
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Decent twitter thread on how they are getting VAR wrong with offsides.

Old 15-08-19, 09:57 AM   #146
Alex
Administrator

VAR should work like cricket. Marginal calls are Refs choice. Clear mistakes are overturned by VAR.

Its not hard, and I guess the system will get there. Things wont be perfect in a day.
Old 15-08-19, 01:09 PM   #147
ntto
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
VAR should work like cricket. Marginal calls are Refs choice. Clear mistakes are overturned by VAR.

Its not hard, and I guess the system will get there. Things wont be perfect in a day.
cricket has the benefit of systems that predict the flight of the ball - so the decision typically is an absolute.

Where is falls down in football, two people will review a decision and you'll get two different decisions.

The handball in the first half that wasn't even reviewed, that was a pen last season all day long
ntto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-19, 02:30 PM   #148
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Decent twitter thread on how they are getting VAR wrong with offsides.

https://twitter.com/draper_rob/statu...23811869093893
I read the thread, and have heard the suggestion of feet only or any part of your body being level means that you are on, those suggestions are fine and may change things slightly, but they have no impact on how the law or VAR are used. You still need to draw a line between the last part of the defender and some part of the attacker, the few mm situation will still arise just involving a different body part.

For me the problem isn't the law it's the way VAR is used with it.
Old 15-08-19, 02:41 PM   #149
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

To identify obvious errors you don't need to draw a line anywhere. If you think you need to, then the decision wasn't an obvious error and you accept the decision of the lino. If someone was incorrectly given offside according to VAR, give them a freekick where they received the ball, but keep the instant decisions.
Old 15-08-19, 04:58 PM   #150
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
To identify obvious errors you don't need to draw a line anywhere. If you think you need to, then the decision wasn't an obvious error and you accept the decision of the lino. If someone was incorrectly given offside according to VAR, give them a freekick where they received the ball, but keep the instant decisions.
That's what I have been saying for ages
Old 20-08-19, 09:03 AM   #151
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Debate on 5live about VAR, guy who has been involved (Neil Swarbrook) in it knocking it out of the park responding to criticisms.

The main thing we have to learn is that we aren’t all going to love every decision, we all have different reasons for wanting goals to remain/be ruled out - but then we didn’t love how it went before. It seems to be going well so far, we shall see how we feel about it once we have an important one ruled out.
Old 20-08-19, 09:42 AM   #152
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Fans will adapt. All the talk about it ruining the experience, they'll find a way to fill the space in time to make it fun. Doing the low waving hands before a trophy is lifted or something I'd imagine.

It'll be fine
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-19, 05:41 PM   #153
Corndog
Fagan

There isn't a problem with VAR rather the expectations of fans.

You either accept a greater degree of imperfect refereeing or you accept the sacrifices needed to get a more accurate degree of refereeing.

VAR doesn't stop controversy (this is because it still relies on human interpretation of human made rules) but it allows for a much more measured look at incidents in what is a very dynamic and fast paced game.

Fans will always find something to complain about particularly if it is not in the interests of their team.

Personally, I'm absolutely fine with VAR because in my opinion is a greater injustice for a goal to incorrectly stand than for one to be ruled out after it was initially given.

Having a second set of eyes with the benefit of replay will reduce the error rate according to the letter of the law within the game.

"There are two great teams on Merseyside; Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves." - Bill Shankly
Corndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-19, 06:19 AM   #154
rodo
Shankly

Old 21-08-19, 07:30 AM   #155
Exiled_red
Paisley

Old 21-08-19, 07:46 AM   #156
spud_gun
Paisley

That type of view is broadly representative of the average vote leave.

'they shouldn't be telling us what to do'

Like living in a nation of teenagers, gammon faced teenagers.
Old 21-08-19, 09:35 AM   #157
S-RED
Dalglish

OMG, what a plank; seriously did he just blame the EU for VAR..... hahahahaha
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-19, 09:43 AM   #158
badpiggy
Paisley

Fuckin clown. Everyone knows it's the Jews behind it. Watch as Jerusalem Rovers mysteriously end up in the Europa League after some marginal VAR decisions
Old 21-08-19, 01:00 PM   #159
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Corbyn's fault.
Old 21-08-19, 03:35 PM   #160
badpiggy
Paisley

Quote:
Corbyn's fault.
Nah. He's with me on this one.

est1892 > Football > General Football