It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 11-09-19, 05:00 PM   #1161
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbread View Post
His comment about not being and 18 year old who was at the top from an early age is the same for all the squad apart from Trent. I like that they’ve all had to work so hard to become top players and haven’t been stars from early on. They’ve had set backs, moved up the levels through different clubs. It really comes across with the attitude and commitment they all show.
That is a really really good point. That hunger is evident in how we play. You could argue that Klopp has been the same - coming via Mainz.

People have talked about Mbappe as a potential addition. I am not sure that it is any way feasible as a signing but I wonder would that signing upset the apple cart????

I love the way Klopp and the recruitment team really analyse the personality of a player as well. There is a story I think of Robbo getting sick in his medical. And Klopp walking over taking the piss the next morning. Also, of Klopp giving his staff a bit of a bollocking when nobody informed him that Robbo's Mrs was having their first child shortly after he signed too.

I wonder when they got to speak to Fekir, was there a warning light going off around his attitude???
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 07:03 AM   #1162
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
IMO John Terry is the best CB of prem era so far.
Old 12-09-19, 08:25 AM   #1163
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by danperkins View Post
IMO John Terry is the best CB of prem era so far.

Better than Ferdinand?

Nah, and I don't think it's even close tbh
Old 12-09-19, 08:32 AM   #1164
Cormack74
Shankly

Hypia.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 08:51 AM   #1165
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

I'm biased but Virgil for me. Never saw Terry, Vidic or Ferdinand be so routinely utterly foot perfect as VVD is. He probably needs to do it for longer, but he will cos he's incredible.
Old 12-09-19, 09:09 AM   #1166
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

No question it will be Virgil if he stays with us a few more seasons rey:

At the moment I'd say it's between Terry and Ferdinand. With Vidic and Kompany behind that.

I'd pick Ferdinand as I preferred his style of play, but there's not much in it.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 09:50 AM   #1167
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Virgil is basically a combination of the best parts of Ferdinand and Terry. He has the skills and pace of Rio whilst also being as powerful, commanding and good at scoring goals as Terry.

Plus he is a decent chap as well putting him ahead of Terry in particular on pretty much every level.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 10:07 AM   #1168
The_weatherman
Smug

Have to say Virgil as well, he has everything, I've never seen such a complete defender, pace, awareness, height and passing, he's a goal threat as well and can carry the ball out.

Didn't see Hansen but a I doubt he was better tbh. can't see how you can really improve on Virg.
Old 12-09-19, 11:11 AM   #1169
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
No question it will be Virgil if he stays with us a few more seasons rey:

At the moment I'd say it's between Terry and Ferdinand. With Vidic and Kompany behind that.

I'd pick Ferdinand as I preferred his style of play, but there's not much in it.
I think Virgil but from a United perspective I always thought Stam was the best of them. Did it ever come out what happen with Fergie - he was superb in Italy in the years that followed
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 11:30 AM   #1170
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
I think Virgil but from a United perspective I always thought Stam was the best of them. Did it ever come out what happen with Fergie - he was superb in Italy in the years that followed
Jaap Stam's book had a lot to do with it i reckon. Later Fergie said it was one of his biggest fuck ups.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 12:50 PM   #1171
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by labourRed View Post
Jaap Stam's book had a lot to do with it i reckon. Later Fergie said it was one of his biggest fuck ups.
that's it - the book
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 02:13 PM   #1172
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
I was going to suggest Stam but when I checked he only played 60 odd Premier League matches! If he'd stayed he'd definitely have been up there. He was a beast.
Old 12-09-19, 03:09 PM   #1173
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Phil Jones has to be in with a shout.
RedReet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 04:09 PM   #1174
greenturnip
Houllier

Winning the Prem would help Virgil's case....
greenturnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-19, 06:36 AM   #1175
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post

Better than Ferdinand?

Nah, and I don't think it's even close tbh
It's very close to be fair, it was between Terry and Ferdinand for me. Say what you want about Terry but he was a world class CB.

As for VVD, he looks like nothing anyone has seen in a CB but it is still early days for him in his LFC career, he also has another 7 or 8 years left in him. Terry and Ferdinand played hundreds more games in top class prem sides that won the league several times. Virgil is world class and the best CB in the world the last year. Can only see him getting better.
Old 13-09-19, 09:51 AM   #1176
Zapater
Dalglish

The thing about those two is that there was a profile of forward that troubled them considerably. With van Dijk, he deals with them all and their style doesn't seem to matter. Small, nippy fox in the box types; big powerful target men etc. He adapts and handles anyone, there's not really a weakness or something obvious which can be exploited yet.

I would agree with Jaap Stam as being an all round superb player, but when you speak of Premiership players, he is pretty much the equivalent of Virgil for us in terms of games and achievements (other than winning the league multiple times). In terms of influence on the team and the CL runs etc. If we won the league this season then flogged him abroad for disgusting cash their legacies would be similar, although that would be ignoring what Virgil did at Southampton. Either way, I don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon and has to be in the discussion among the better modern day players.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-19, 11:22 AM   #1177
frank the tank
Shankly

If virgil helps us win the league, then he will be catapulted into the greatest Liverpool players of all time. He could be in the top 10 pretty much overnight
Old 14-09-19, 02:37 PM   #1178
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Most passes today with 121, 96% completion. Insane
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-19, 02:18 AM   #1179
McDermotX
Paisley

Quote:
With more than 400 managers, players and media representatives voting for the best men's player (each selecting a first, second and third choice), Cristiano Ronaldo remarkably found common ground with Mauritania captain Abdoul Ba and his Eswatini counterpart Dlamini Banele.

How, you may ask? Well, they were the only three people to select Netherlands defender Matthijs de Ligt as their first pick for player of the year.

Was it a case of tactical voting from Ronaldo, who managed to exclude winner Lionel Messi from his top three? Or just a show of solidarity for his current Juventus team-mate?

In the 2018 voting Ronaldo also omitted his old rival Messi, instead favouring former Real Madrid colleague Raphael Varane.

Messi did include Ronaldo as his second pick behind Sadio Mane. The other main candidate for the men's player award, Virgil van Dijk, went with Messi ahead of his Liverpool team-mates Mohamed Salah and Mane.
Old 24-09-19, 08:02 AM   #1180
baitman
Daddy day care

Isnt this just the shit version of best player, with the "proper" ballon d'or in december?

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-19, 08:28 AM   #1181
Leyton388
aka liverpooltj

5 real Madrid players in the fifa world 11 despite Real being absolute shite this year. Show what these awards really are for me. Nothing but a Madrid Barca wankfest.
Leyton388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-19, 08:29 AM   #1182
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Yeah have to agree with that, it's embarrassing.
Old 24-09-19, 11:01 AM   #1183
calvoboy
Dalglish

Amazing how many players didn't have Van Dijk in their top three, even without the blatant corruption (Son voted for Harry Kane )

https://as00.epimg.net/descargables/...7577f498c6.pdf
calvoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-19, 11:12 AM   #1184
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvoboy View Post
Amazing how many players didn't have Van Dijk in their top three, even without the blatant corruption (Son voted for Harry Kane )

https://as00.epimg.net/descargables/...7577f498c6.pdf
It's always the same in this. I'm not sure Messi or Ronaldo have ever voted for each other when clearly they've been the best player. It's political. Meh.
Old 24-09-19, 04:47 PM   #1185
BigChief
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyton388 View Post
5 real Madrid players in the fifa world 11 despite Real being absolute shite this year. Show what these awards really are for me. Nothing but a Madrid Barca wankfest.
I don't think I can even name 5 Madrid players that play any more. Bale, Kroos, Ramos...
Old 24-09-19, 04:58 PM   #1186
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

That team is hilarious, Modric and Marcelo have just had the worst season of their careers and Ramos wasn't much better either.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-19, 09:54 PM   #1187
Assassin
Kloppite

He is human after all...... bit of a ‘mare today
Old 02-10-19, 10:03 PM   #1188
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
He is human after all...... bit of a ‘mare today
my exact thoughts. Hes human. Another myth shattered.
Old 02-10-19, 10:29 PM   #1189
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Shit cunt
Old 02-10-19, 10:30 PM   #1190
Assassin
Kloppite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Shit cunt
Old 02-10-19, 11:44 PM   #1191
fidget
Shankly

Bring back Sakho
fidget is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-19, 01:34 AM   #1192
McDermotX
Paisley

Not very nice, but another reminder that anyone can get access to the interweb

Old 03-10-19, 09:18 AM   #1193
Assassin
Kloppite

Just reflecting on his performance last night. Strangely out of sorts. In the after match interview he didnt seem himself and was sweating quite a lot (normally he looks like he hasnt played) Just wondering if he was ill and on some medication
Old 03-10-19, 09:26 AM   #1194
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

I didn't think he was that bad tbh. There were two in the back four worse than him, as were the three across the midfield until Milner came on.
Old 03-10-19, 09:28 AM   #1195
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Yeah Joe Struggled and Trent kept giving the ball away. Then everyone started giving the ball away. We lost focus and took our foot off the throttle, eye off the ball etc after blitzing them.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-19, 10:01 AM   #1196
Assassin
Kloppite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
I didn't think he was that bad tbh. There were two in the back four worse than him, as were the three across the midfield until Milner came on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Yeah Joe Struggled and Trent kept giving the ball away. Then everyone started giving the ball away. We lost focus and took our foot off the throttle, eye off the ball etc after blitzing them.
Trent was on a bit of a walk about last night. He was playing at left back for a short period of time. Joe struggled, having said that he made a couple of good interceptions as well
Old 03-10-19, 10:20 AM   #1197
frank the tank
Shankly

as long as it will act as a kick up the arse for the next few games, then it's no harm
Old 03-10-19, 11:09 AM   #1198
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
Trent was on a bit of a walk about last night. He was playing at left back for a short period of time. Joe struggled, having said that he made a couple of good interceptions as well
Gomez was poor for me, made loads of mistakes and was getting caught under the ball loads and was giving away possession a bit. The getting caught under the ball was a common feature of his game when he first started playing centreback for us but he ironed that out of his game first half of last season. Its kept back in the last couple of times hes played. Might be him being ringrusty

Trents passing has been very hit and miss at times this season also

As for him switching to leftback, they do this a lot, its always after set pieces and they stay in position until the ball is at the other end of the pitch

Its not a real tactical switch its more a reflection of their positions on set pieces and they do immediately try and switch back at the earliest opportunity

Thats something and nothing for me

Last edited by Lecter; 03-10-19 at 11:18 AM.
Lecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-19, 11:23 AM   #1199
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecter View Post
As for him switching to leftback, they do this a lot, its always after set pieces and they stay in position until the ball is at the other end of the pitch

Its not a real tactical switch its more a reflection of their positions on set pieces and they do immediately try and switch back at the earliest opportunity

Yeah, its happens about three times a game, it happens at other teams as well. Rather than being a flaw we're very effective at filling in with midfielders and what not if we're caught short. Its close to total football.
Old 03-10-19, 11:32 AM   #1200
Assassin
Kloppite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecter View Post

Trents passing has been very hit and miss at times this season also

I've seen it a few times myself on set pieces, but he seemed to be in that position for quite some time in the later part of the first half

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC