It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 02-10-19, 12:25 PM   #1801
SB
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabinho View Post
That would possibly be the greatest LFC related video yet
Agreed
Old 02-10-19, 01:27 PM   #1802
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
Yes I have lived in a foreign country. I lived in Spain for 13 months building a factory. I worked for a Danish engineering company, building a factory for an American company with a Spanish workforce. The project language was English.

In reality, it takes 5 minutes to learn "I'm sorry but my English isn't the best" and as long as he adds that to every conversation with a new person, then i'm sure he will be fine.

I actually think it is a miss on the clubs part not tracking this for the last year he was at Leipzig.......and intervening when he wasn't making progress
Do you speak fluent Spanish?
Old 02-10-19, 06:02 PM   #1803
Nicey
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sus View Post
3 - coming from a minority background I probably understand the challenges of learning new languages better than you

All I was saying is that all he does is train, he has plenty of time to learn, regardless of how difficult he finds it. Should be easier for him than anyone who works full time, for example
oh I dont know I am an Irish man in China as minorities go that's pretty big. Joking aside, I live with on average 150 different nationalities all of which English is not their first language. They all have to learn it, and to be fair they all do, but to vastly varying degrees and none of them is extremely highly paid footballers with a lot of time on their hands.

All I am saying is, learning English is not as easy as people think ... its not just learn it, you, for example, are a minority, who lives in a country were only one language is spoken, namely English for a reasonably long time I am guessing, you already have a language advantage because you will have family around you who have gone through the process, there are multiple languages being spoken in your house and your brain is just optimized for language acquisition. Naby on the other hand is probably living in a flat in Liverpool on his own, sure he has a private tutor, but it is not the same as living with people you know who are helping you.

Anybody who gives a footballer a hard time for not being able to speak Engish and has never learned another language themselves fluently can Gabh transna ort fhéin
Old 02-10-19, 11:14 PM   #1804
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
Do you speak fluent Spanish?
Not completely fluent but.i could do an interview
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-19, 06:53 AM   #1805
Nicey
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
Not completely fluent but.i could do an interview
Ok would you be willing to put that to the test, I can arrange for someone to interview you about liverpool fc in Spanish and we can post it here
Old 03-10-19, 07:33 AM   #1806
Corndog
Fagan

Anyone can learn a second language, some are quicker than others but it's also requires hard work and dedication. You can go from 0 to fluent in 6 months if you want it enough and are disciplined about not using your mother tongue so much.

Everyone who lives in a given country should learn one of the languages spoken widely in that land as it practically helps them and also shows a level of respect.

"There are two great teams on Merseyside; Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves." - Bill Shankly
Corndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-19, 10:21 AM   #1807
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicey View Post
Ok would you be willing to put that to the test, I can arrange for someone to interview you about liverpool fc in Spanish and we can post it here
that's a fuckin brilliant idea
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-19, 10:26 AM   #1808
Harv
Randy Marsh

gilipollas

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-19, 02:47 PM   #1809
baitman
Daddy day care

I dont really care if he isnt fluent in the ingerleesh, he just has to play football like he is a genuine £50m player.

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-19, 12:04 PM   #1810
BillobShaisley
Dalglish

He should have the basic vocab and sentence structure down. 95% of language is the same 10-12 sentences with different nouns/verbs slotted. How many nouns are needed? Ball, Man, Box, Head, Space, Line, Goal etc Verbs..Cross, Pass, Shoot, Tackle, Foul, Get etc there's not a huge vocabulary required.

Then add verbs and nouns as required. He doesn't have to be Oscar Wilde, but needs to know enough to understand instructions and what the team is doing, to understand calls on the pitch and get involved in some of the dressing room 'bants'. The club should have a programme and an English only rule while on site. Going through that little 'pain barrier' of forcing yourself to look up/ask for words rather than take an easy route pays dividends very fast.

I learnt 10x more Portuguese in 6 months in Brazil than the French I learnt over 5 years of GCSE's for 2hrs per week and a year with a French house mate at Uni. Because I had to get through each incident in Portuguese, nobody spoke English so there was no Kop out.
Old 08-10-19, 06:13 PM   #1811
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillobShaisley View Post
He should have the basic vocab and sentence structure down. 95% of language is the same 10-12 sentences with different nouns/verbs slotted. How many nouns are needed? Ball, Man, Box, Head, Space, Line, Goal etc Verbs..Cross, Pass, Shoot, Tackle, Foul, Get etc there's not a huge vocabulary required.

Then add verbs and nouns as required. He doesn't have to be Oscar Wilde, but needs to know enough to understand instructions and what the team is doing, to understand calls on the pitch and get involved in some of the dressing room 'bants'. The club should have a programme and an English only rule while on site. Going through that little 'pain barrier' of forcing yourself to look up/ask for words rather than take an easy route pays dividends very fast.

I learnt 10x more Portuguese in 6 months in Brazil than the French I learnt over 5 years of GCSE's for 2hrs per week and a year with a French house mate at Uni. Because I had to get through each incident in Portuguese, nobody spoke English so there was no Kop out.
There are all the manager dependent words and phrases too...

Rafa: Possibilities, esquad, kwalitee, "using espace between day lines"
Brendan: Proud, wonderful group, special boy, "fight for your life"
Bodge: vewy, expewienced, smint
Old 09-10-19, 01:15 AM   #1812
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Polo View Post

Wah'ammer!
Old 09-10-19, 08:35 AM   #1813
The_weatherman
Smug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Polo View Post

This is actually pretty funny how they have these characteristics, Dalglish used the phrase "in any way, shape or form" a lot, while Klopp obviously says "Cool" a lot
Old 09-10-19, 11:47 AM   #1814
Angryred
Dalglish

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_weatherman View Post
This is actually pretty funny how they have these characteristics, Dalglish used the phrase "in any way, shape or form" a lot, while Klopp obviously says "Cool" a lot
Yep, & he has us fans saying "Booom" a lot!
Old 09-10-19, 12:10 PM   #1815
Nicey
Paisley

So I spoke to a friend who is currently doing a Masters in Linguistics focusing on specifically language acquisition. I asked her about this issue. She basically said in kids with no distractions, it takes 2 years to get the basics down, anything technical can take up to 7 years. Lay off the fucking guy, yes there will be people who pick up languages quicker and a lot of them seem to be Est users but by the book, its usually 2 years for basic grasp ... which were he is now and up to 5 plus years for fluency. Any of you giving him shit only speak English to a rudimentary level should shut the fuck right up. ; ) Hugs
Old 09-10-19, 05:16 PM   #1816
BillobShaisley
Dalglish

She work in special needs? My 2 have learnt Welsh, Welsh FFS! in about 3months of speaking it exclusively at school without having any practical help from parents. Kids are like a fucking sponge for that shit.

I became conversational in Portuguese in 4 months. Not PHD grammatically correct but enough to set the world to rights. Like I said, a footballer only needs a small selection of Vocab and as it's part of their job and they have tutors and hot and cold running assistants. Language shouldn't be holding players back on the pitch for very long.

Obviously it may affect home and social life etc but meh
Old 09-10-19, 06:13 PM   #1817
Phoenix07
The Normal One

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_weatherman View Post
I've noticed Klopp says 'that's how it is' a lot.
Phoenix07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-19, 09:06 PM   #1818
Zapater
Dalglish

Rafa also loves the 'winning mentality' and 'game intelligence'.

And almost every non-English speaking manager regardless of their country/language of origin likes to say 'in a good moment'.

Woy can also be attributed 'famous point' and 'famous draw'.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-19, 04:57 AM   #1819
Nicey
Paisley

Quote:
She work in special needs? My 2 have learnt Welsh, Welsh FFS! in about 3months of speaking it exclusively at school without having any practical help from parents. Kids are like a fucking sponge for that shit.

I became conversational in Portuguese in 4 months. Not PHD grammatically correct but enough to set the world to rights. Like I said, a footballer only needs a small selection of Vocab and as it's part of their job and they have tutors and hot and cold running assistants. Language shouldn't be holding players back on the pitch for very long.

She works with children and she is currently doing a Masters in Lingustics specifically focused on language acquisition within one ethnic group. I live in a boarding school with 250 students, I think either 100 or 150 of them every year are from different countries and regions around the world, the majoriy of students are not native English speakers.

I take your point about the level of complexity required to commuinicate on a football pitch and you are right in many ways he should be up to speed. But its not a given, some people take to langauge a lot better than others, I would suggest you are one of those people and Noam Choamsky would suggest you have passed that genetic element of your cognitive abolities onto you kids.

But not everybody has that experience and sometimes its not a for a lack of trying. 2 Years to get the basics down is just about right. We have lived with people from all over the world in very close proximtiy for over 15 years, I see it and hear it first hand, all people lingustics skills are not created equal.
Old 10-10-19, 05:00 AM   #1820
Nicey
Paisley

Quote:

She works with children and she is currently doing a Masters in Lingustics specifically focused on language acquisition within one ethnic group. I live in a boarding school with 250 students, I think either 100 or 150 of them every year are from different countries and regions around the world, the majoriy of students are not native English speakers.

I take your point about the level of complexity required to commuinicate on a football pitch and you are right in many ways he should be up to speed. But its not a given, some people take to langauge a lot better than others, I would suggest you are one of those people and Noam Choamsky would suggest you have passed that genetic element of your cognitive abolities onto you kids.

But not everybody has that experience and sometimes its not a for a lack of trying. 2 Years to get the basics down is just about right. We have lived with people from all over the world in very close proximtiy for over 15 years, I see it and hear it first hand, all people lingustics skills are not created equal and its has nothing to do with intelligence or application.

* I think
Old 10-10-19, 09:00 AM   #1821
The_weatherman
Smug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix07 View Post
I've noticed Klopp says 'that's how it is' a lot.
Oh, yeah, I've even started to say that a lot. I can't pull of cool though
Old 10-10-19, 09:19 AM   #1822
poorscousertommy
Dalglish

Someone just tell him to download the Duolingo app on his phone. I can speak a decent bit of easy Spanish after using that shit for 10 weeks!

It really is great.
poorscousertommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:28 AM   #1823
BillobShaisley
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicey View Post

But not everybody has that experience and sometimes its not a for a lack of trying. 2 Years to get the basics down is just about right. We have lived with people from all over the world in very close proximtiy for over 15 years, I see it and hear it first hand, all people lingustics skills are not created equal and its has nothing to do with intelligence or application.

* I think
Agreed not all about intelligence or intent, but certainly there is something about the approach and in practice.

Total emersion is key to speed of acquisition.

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC