It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 14-02-20, 08:42 PM   #6841
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul12 View Post
Why is it? He was a force of nature, but he was not disciplined tactically. Benitez in effect said that a number of times. He needed to be given a free role because he could not consistently do what was expected in a disciplined role. That doesn't make him a bad player or anything, but I thought it was something that was widely acknowledged. (I certainly wasn't trying to be controversial.)
I think giving him a different role nearer to the goal was just as much about making the most of his special abilities than him being clueless tactically. Rafa loved his 2 guys sitting and all that stuff, why would anyone limit Gerrard in his prime to that?! World class attackers cost the most for a reason so sitting one in a holding midfield role permanently would be daft. He could do it if asked, like he did plenty of times including to perfection at home to Chelsea in the 2007 CL Semi where we couldn't afford to concede an away goal, but getting Gerrard to play a Lucas Leiva or Momo Sissoko type role all the time is a waste given how gifted he is with the ball.

Obviously I wouldn't say it was one of his main strength's when talking about him, yeah he could go superman and vacate a space on occasions, wasn't as smart as Xabi or whatever but I think this thing about him supposedly being tactically clueless is massively over done and it seems to be getting more of a thing with every year he's retired. This is a guy that's been brilliant as a 6 when his legs had gone, an 8, a 10 or out wide and quality whenever he filled in at full back yet he's apparently meant to be thick as fuck in tactical intelligence. Not his best attribute or a particularly big strength sure, "tactically illiterate" as you put it no chance.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-20, 09:04 PM   #6842
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
I’m not sure the ‘Rangers are getting done over by the refs’ angle will have much mileage up here The standard of officiating up here is historically dire, but the OF are definitely the beneficiaries of many, many favourable decisions.

Gerrard is getting (and deserves) praise for how he is handling this mini crisis. It would have been some achievement to have taken the title, I’m sure they will regroup. They were very unlucky not to win the League Cup - I’m sure they will focus on the Scottish Cup.

I only saw the last 20 mins but the first Killie goal could have been ruled out for h-ball then Morelos was denied a penalty - fair enough except the foul committed on him was the almost identical foul that he was then penalised for when scoring a few minutes later

I couldn't quite work that out

It's very rare I watch Scottish football, pretty much the only other game I've seen was the LC final where they played Celtic off the park for75 minutes but SG doesn't seem to have had much luck TBH as illustrated by Killei scoring from a ridiculous mishit on Wednesday night.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-20, 09:05 PM   #6843
Saveloy
Expect the Wurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I think giving him a different role nearer to the goal was just as much about making the most of his special abilities than him being clueless tactically. Rafa loved his 2 guys sitting and all that stuff, why would anyone limit Gerrard in his prime to that?! World class attackers cost the most for a reason so sitting one in a holding midfield role permanently would be daft. He could do it if asked, like he did plenty of times including to perfection at home to Chelsea in the 2007 CL Semi where we couldn't afford to concede an away goal, but getting Gerrard to play a Lucas Leiva or Momo Sissoko type role all the time is a waste given how gifted he is with the ball.

Obviously I wouldn't say it was one of his main strength's when talking about him, yeah he could go superman and vacate a space on occasions, wasn't as smart as Xabi or whatever but I think this thing about him supposedly being tactically clueless is massively over done and it seems to be getting more of a thing with every year he's retired. This is a guy that's been brilliant as a 6 when his legs had gone, an 8, a 10 or out wide and quality whenever he filled in at full back yet he's apparently meant to be thick as fuck in tactical intelligence. Not his best attribute or a particularly big strength sure, "tactically illiterate" as you put it no chance.
This post
Saveloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-20, 12:47 PM   #6844
BillobShaisley
Dalglish

Stevie was great but he was never an Aimar, Pirlo or a KDB. He wasn't the greatest at unpicking a lock, working out how to pull players around with 3 or 4 passes before spotting and pouncing on a small opening. If he couldn't fuck it, eat it or kill it he didn't know what to do. If it wasn't working then do the same thing harder, faster and with more commitment.

As a player 'force of nature' is a good description, the way he would 'grab the bull by the horns' and barnstorm a way through was second to none. But at the very highest levels, it wasn't enough and that was his relative weakness and the quality that I am interested to see how it shows as a manager. If he hasn't learnt that finesse then he will struggle at the highest levels as he did as a player, getting slightly out manoeuvred by those with less inherent talent but a more measured and sophisticated and patient approach.

It's a pretty fair point and I'd agree it's not controversial.
Old 17-02-20, 01:00 PM   #6845
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Tricky question for him to answer as Rangers Manager, but good to see Stevie is paying attention to the City news. He'd take the backdated medal for sure.

Quote:
"I read that myself this morning," Rangers manager Gerrard, who was captain of Liverpool when they finished two points behind City in 2014, said after his side's win over Livingston.

"We will wait and see. From a UEFA point of view, it is obviously a real strong sentence or punishment. I'm sure they will appeal so we will wait and see what the outcome is on that.

"Then we will see whether the Premier League act from there. But if you look at the severity of the punishment from UEFA, something has gone badly wrong.

"So I'm really interested to see the outcome of that. Until I get the punishment from the Premier League, I won't comment further. But I'm really, really interested in it...for obvious reasons.
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-20, 02:39 PM   #6846
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:

Good post Chris

Rafas 4-2-3-1 was so robust and rigid. And when Gerrard was behind Torres, it really was special.

Hypothetical, but it would have been really interesting to see Gerrard play in a middle 3 in the current set up. He played sitting midfielder in a 3 under Rodgers but it would have been interesting to see him play next to someone like Fabinho (Masch) in the role that Henderson plays a lot now. With our current front 3 - and how fuckin awesome they are - then i think Gerrard would have potentially been even better.
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-20, 06:09 PM   #6847
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
Good post Chris

Rafas 4-2-3-1 was so robust and rigid. And when Gerrard was behind Torres, it really was special.

Hypothetical, but it would have been really interesting to see Gerrard play in a middle 3 in the current set up. He played sitting midfielder in a 3 under Rodgers but it would have been interesting to see him play next to someone like Fabinho (Masch) in the role that Henderson plays a lot now. With our current front 3 - and how fuckin awesome they are - then i think Gerrard would have potentially been even better.
The thing with our current 8s is they cover the full backs who offer so much of our attacking outlet that it would curb so much of his drive forward. Gerrard was a freak of nature and Rafa got the absolute best out of him, especially those years with Torres.

Iím sure Klopp would find a spot for him and maximize his output for the team
Irishnev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-20, 11:05 PM   #6848
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Gerrard would be in the front three I reckon.
Old 20-02-20, 10:59 PM   #6849
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Big win for Stevie tonight.

Did it Liverpool style.
Old 20-02-20, 11:12 PM   #6850
spud_gun
Paisley

Aye fantastic turn around in the second half. Needed that.
Old 24-02-20, 12:24 PM   #6851
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 24-02-20, 12:42 PM   #6852
Fivex
The Wisp

Old 24-02-20, 12:47 PM   #6853
BigChief
Paisley

Gutted we didn't sign him as a player in January, even on loan.

Would love to see him back at the club, hopefully his Rangers debacle serves as a good lesson to always keep learning. As a player his strengths were phenomenal which meant he didn't focus so much on his weaknesses. As a coach/manager he's starting as any non-superhuman and that may serve him, and us, well in the long run
Old 24-02-20, 12:47 PM   #6854
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

I don't think anyone could argue he doesn't need to do a hell of a lot more before he'd even make a shortlist. His legendary status as a player doesn't give him any right whatsoever to waltz into the manager's job. That quote about "a large chunk of the fanbase would like me back" is a bit curious

I mean it'd be great in an ideal world, even backroom staff or something. Why are we even talking about this anyway ffs.
Old 24-02-20, 12:53 PM   #6855
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChief View Post
No, just no.
Old 24-02-20, 12:58 PM   #6856
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
No, just no.
I mean, why not bring out Robbie Fowler while we're at it.
Old 24-02-20, 01:09 PM   #6857
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Yeah it doesn’t sit right with me either. He has moved on, its not his time any more.

I don’t think Stevie would be up for it at all.
Old 24-02-20, 01:28 PM   #6858
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:
Yeah it doesnít sit right with me either. He has moved on, its not his time any more.

I donít think Stevie would be up for it at all.
I'd say he would have been up for it if he was not a manager.

Would be an embarrassing effort though....

For me, forget Stevie the player when you are considering hiring the next manager.

If - god forbid - Klopp left LFC, then SG shouldn't even make the 5 man shortlist.

So right at this present moment in time, I don't even know why he is talking about this. It isn't the first time either.

I don't think that the SPL will ever be an adequate learning ground for an LFC manager going forward. But to be honest, no premier league club is likely to give him a managers job any time soon. So his best route might be something like Championship, get a team promoted and then see where it leads him. But in reality that isn't likely to lead to the LFC job either. Lets just say SG took someone like Sunderland into the Premier League and kept them up. Wow that would be a good effort. But that shouldn't put them on the shortlist for the LFC job.

His most likely scenario of ending up as LFC manager would be on an interim basis a bit like Ole Solskjaer....... but for me, surely Pep Ljinders would be a better shout in that scenario.
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-20, 01:31 PM   #6859
baitman
Daddy day care

Maybe he'd come in as peps number two.

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-20, 01:34 PM   #6860
RichC
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChief View Post
This would have been up there and probably surpassed John Terry "full-kit wanker" efforts.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-20, 01:42 PM   #6861
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
This would have been up there and probably surpassed John Terry "full-kit wanker" efforts.

Terrys getting subbed off on 28 mins (to match his shirt number) to a standing ovation was a real low point in the history of sport. What a twat.

This would run it close.
Old 24-02-20, 01:46 PM   #6862
Liverpool
Paisley

Wouldn't mind if he gave Henderson his medal/trophy but nothing more than that. Obviously impossible due to his current job.
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-20, 01:53 PM   #6863
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
No, just no.
Quote:

Terrys getting subbed off on 28 mins (to match his shirt number) to a standing ovation was a real low point in the history of sport. What a twat.

This would run it close.
Would be a lot worse imo

Last edited by Shaggy; 24-02-20 at 06:55 PM.
Shaggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-20, 06:49 PM   #6864
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
No, just no.
Quote:
Yeah it doesnít sit right with me either. He has moved on, its not his time any more.

I donít think Stevie would be up for it at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Quote:

This would run it close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Would be a lot wore imo
While it sounds like a nice gesture it's incredibly small time and in no way the sort of thing we should even consider, it would be embarrassing and make us a laughing stock.

We don't want those kind of sympathy votes, leave those to Man Utd and Ryan Giggs getting player of the year because he'd never won it.
Old 24-02-20, 07:35 PM   #6865
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
I'd say he would have been up for it if he was not a manager.

Would be an embarrassing effort though....

For me, forget Stevie the player when you are considering hiring the next manager.

If - god forbid - Klopp left LFC, then SG shouldn't even make the 5 man shortlist.

So right at this present moment in time, I don't even know why he is talking about this. It isn't the first time either.

I don't think that the SPL will ever be an adequate learning ground for an LFC manager going forward. But to be honest, no premier league club is likely to give him a managers job any time soon. So his best route might be something like Championship, get a team promoted and then see where it leads him. But in reality that isn't likely to lead to the LFC job either. Lets just say SG took someone like Sunderland into the Premier League and kept them up. Wow that would be a good effort. But that shouldn't put them on the shortlist for the LFC job.

His most likely scenario of ending up as LFC manager would be on an interim basis a bit like Ole Solskjaer....... but for me, surely Pep Ljinders would be a better shout in that scenario.
All very sensible. He'll never manage us imo.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-20, 11:25 PM   #6866
Paul12
Benitez

Quote:
... This is a guy that's been brilliant as a 6 when his legs had gone, an 8, a 10 or out wide and quality whenever he filled in at full back yet he's apparently meant to be thick as fuck in tactical intelligence. Not his best attribute or a particularly big strength sure, "tactically illiterate" as you put it no chance.
I guess we just disagree. Not the end of the world.

Interestingly, ManUre didn't win the league until they replaced their Gerrard (ie Bryan Robson) too.
Paul12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-20, 12:13 AM   #6867
dom9
Ant Pisser

Robson won the league. Albeit at the ailing end of his career.
Old 25-02-20, 02:45 PM   #6868
Angryred
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post
Robson won the league. Albeit at the ailing end of his career.
Yes, remember Steve Bruce getting Robson up to the podium to lift the trophy with him.
Old 25-02-20, 08:52 PM   #6869
Paul12
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angryred View Post
Yes, remember Steve Bruce getting Robson up to the podium to lift the trophy with him.
Those would be the two seasons where he managed about a dozen appearences each time, mostly of which were from the bench. So I accept I was wrong in fact, but in substance those league wins had nothing to do with him.
Paul12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-20, 10:48 PM   #6870
Rafa Justice
Benitez

Pretty damning rumours about Rangers and his management thereof on social media at the moment.
Rafa Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-20, 10:51 PM   #6871
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Is that it?
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-20, 10:52 PM   #6872
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

He seems to have been doing loads of press about Liverpool recently, which is never going to go down well. Save that stuff for the summer. He’s under pressure because they’ve been shite since the winter break. Their fans are idiots though.
Old 25-02-20, 10:53 PM   #6873
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Justice View Post
Pretty damning rumours about Rangers and his management thereof on social media at the moment.
Can you elaborate / link?
Old 26-02-20, 12:05 AM   #6874
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul12 View Post
Those would be the two seasons where he managed about a dozen appearences each time, mostly of which were from the bench. So I accept I was wrong in fact, but in substance those league wins had nothing to do with him.
Indeed. Except for the actual playing of the football matches involved.
Old 26-02-20, 03:05 AM   #6875
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Cool story bro.
Old 26-02-20, 08:16 AM   #6876
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:
Go that whatsapp too about the 7 boys banging brazzers, dressing room split, stevie's favorites and Morelos not speaking to him since December etc. Fuck knows if it is true though.
Old 26-02-20, 10:19 AM   #6877
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I personally think he wants to shut down all the Liverpool Manager chat, by not being involved in it. I doubt the interviews he has done with Danny Murphy and Carra have been well received by Rangers supporters given he barely mentions them. Stevie hasn't provided all that much press up here about his vision for Rangers etc, and making the job seem like a stepping stone is disrespectful.

He is too often talking away about the chances (or not) of his dream job becoming a reality all the while Rangers are dropping points all over the place and their supporters couldnt give a shit about Liverpool.
Old 26-02-20, 07:49 PM   #6878
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

Taken Rangers in to the Europa League last 16. Great achievement
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-20, 08:02 PM   #6879
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
I personally think he wants to shut down all the Liverpool Manager chat, by not being involved in it. I doubt the interviews he has done with Danny Murphy and Carra have been well received by Rangers supporters given he barely mentions them. Stevie hasn't provided all that much press up here about his vision for Rangers etc, and making the job seem like a stepping stone is disrespectful.

He is too often talking away about the chances (or not) of his dream job becoming a reality all the while Rangers are dropping points all over the place and their supporters couldnt give a shit about Liverpool.
Presumably he would love the LFC job and his history with us means that he will always be in the conversation, but unless he has success in his current role at Rangers he isn't / shouldn't getting the opportunity. He needs to do well with Rangers. If we appoint Gerrard as manager at some point it has to be because he is a good manager, not just because he's Steven Gerrard.
Old 26-02-20, 08:16 PM   #6880
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Taken Rangers in to the Europa League last 16. Great achievement
He needed that result big time.

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC