It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 16-09-20, 05:26 PM   #321
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace

Another striker imminent then?

Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-20, 05:29 PM   #322
Pepe79
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky Skills View Post
A forward rather than a striker most likely.

Ismailia Sarr seems to be the one getting linked.
Pepe79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-20, 05:34 PM   #323
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky Skills View Post
I would hope so but it doesn't necessarily follow, even if Brewster leaves we still have more options than we had at the start of last season
Old 17-09-20, 10:07 AM   #324
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Selling him makes sense. I don't think he fits the mould in our set-up and he needs games to progress.

We need a more flexible attacker that can play in the Firmino or wide role.

Getting the dollars in with a sell-one and buy-back clauses is good business.
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-20, 11:52 AM   #325
SB
Paisley

Maybe because Minamino looks to have settled so well in preseason we’ve decided to cash in On Brewster’s potential
Old 17-09-20, 07:31 PM   #326
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

I don't think getting rid means we don't rate him highly or think he won't score a shed load of goals somewhere. It's just we don't play with a recognised centre forward in our setup and klopp is here for a while. I don't think Fowler would have got much of a look in under klopp either. Kane would struggle with our system. So it's probably better for the player and us that he gets games elsewhere. I really hope he goes on to be brilliant but doesn't sign for utd.
Old 18-09-20, 12:18 AM   #327
SB
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post
I don't think getting rid means we don't rate him highly or think he won't score a shed load of goals somewhere. It's just we don't play with a recognised centre forward in our setup and klopp is here for a while. I don't think Fowler would have got much of a look in under klopp either. Kane would struggle with our system. So it's probably better for the player and us that he gets games elsewhere. I really hope he goes on to be brilliant but doesn't sign for utd.
Or City or the Chavs
Old 18-09-20, 07:46 AM   #328
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

I’ll be surprised if we shift him as he is one of our home grown players, especially if we don’t replace them in our squad.
Old 18-09-20, 07:50 AM   #329
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post
Yeah it's a good point. I've often wondered if even someone as good as Aubameyang would be a starter in our system, when you have such a unique player as Firmino.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-20, 08:48 AM   #330
Sus
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Yeah it's a good point. I've often wondered if even someone as good as Aubameyang would be a starter in our system, when you have such a unique player as Firmino.
He was the main main up front under Klopp for 2-3 years at Dortmund, wasn't he? So I wonder if Klopp's style has evolved or he has changed the system slightly to suit the players he has available to him
Sus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-20, 08:50 AM   #331
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sus View Post
He was the main main up front under Klopp for 2-3 years at Dortmund, wasn't he? So I wonder if Klopp's style has evolved or he has changed the system slightly to suit the players he has available to him
Bit of both isn't it. I mean he worked successfully with Lewandowski as his 9 for a while.
Old 18-09-20, 08:53 AM   #332
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
I can't remember but he used to play 4231 and there's talk of him reverting to that again this season.

I've no doubt Fowler, Kane etc would score loads under Klopp, it'd just require more control in midfield and work from the wide players. Proof of this is Salah scoring more in the striker role he's played on occasion.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-20, 09:27 AM   #333
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
I think it has. I think it still is. I think Thiago is a sign there's still small changes in style to come too.

I do have some reservations about relying so much on Firmino though. There genuinely are very few players who play the way he does.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-20, 09:54 AM   #334
Zapater
Dalglish

He used Lucas Barrios too to good success before Lewandowski and Auba. I think Barrios might be the most traditional 9 of them all. Although the other players in that team were completely different. I think he feels that a 9 won't always be the best solution in this team because of how dynamic it is and how we play/move the ball. Rather than 'his' tactical style evolving overall. Regardless, if the player is good enough, they'll play and we'll find a way to fit them into our system. If Lewa arrived tomorrow, do you think he'd be benched? I very much doubt it - obviously Brewster is a good player who may become excellent, but it's really hard to get him into the team and more difficult to change our system fundamentally for him at this stage in his career/development.

I've found it interesting that when we have played 4-2-3-1 he's often used Salah as the striker with Mane or Shaqiri on the right or Origi on the left. We've seen some experiments with Mane as the striker - which I prefer. I don't know it just never looks quite right to me with Salah in that 9 position. I'm sure someone will dig up stats and tell me he's scored a hatful in limited time there but I prefer him on the right.

It's a tricky one because sometimes I would like us to have a more traditional striker and see them finish more standard goals. On the other hand, I love Firmino's industry, movement and cleverness - he is an attacking midfielder who excels up top in our system but some of the chances would be so easy for a quality 9. I then think 'would they be in position to score those?' because Firmino was often involved in the build up play and found space somehow to miss the simple chances like against Leeds when he was slid through. I don't know, guess it's a chicken egg situation.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-20, 10:02 AM   #335
baitman
Daddy day care

I'd prefer firmino as the 10 so still involved in the pressing and build up play.
Out of our front three I think mane would be the better all round finisher, great pace and better with both feet than Salah.
Salah would be too "easy" for a defender as they all know he's going to move the ball to his left side.

Would be interesting if klopp to play brewster as a 10 in the reserves to get him more involved in build up play.

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-20, 10:12 AM   #336
Sus
Benitez

Yep super interesting points re 4-2-3-1. I've always thought Salah would the 9 in that formation, given Mane's ability to roast defenders by being able to inside our outside them, but Mane up top is also interesting. He'd hold the ball up a bit better and probably be a lot better in the air
Old 18-09-20, 10:24 AM   #337
frank the tank
Shankly

i always thought that we would rotate the #9 throughout the game..... Salah and Mane taking turns up top or wide......and Firmino taking turns to go to #10.......
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-20, 10:40 AM   #338
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
He used Lucas Barrios too to good success before Lewandowski and Auba. I think Barrios might be the most traditional 9 of them all. Although the other players in that team were completely different. I think he feels that a 9 won't always be the best solution in this team because of how dynamic it is and how we play/move the ball. Rather than 'his' tactical style evolving overall. Regardless, if the player is good enough, they'll play and we'll find a way to fit them into our system. If Lewa arrived tomorrow, do you think he'd be benched? I very much doubt it - obviously Brewster is a good player who may become excellent, but it's really hard to get him into the team and more difficult to change our system fundamentally for him at this stage in his career/development.

I've found it interesting that when we have played 4-2-3-1 he's often used Salah as the striker with Mane or Shaqiri on the right or Origi on the left. We've seen some experiments with Mane as the striker - which I prefer. I don't know it just never looks quite right to me with Salah in that 9 position. I'm sure someone will dig up stats and tell me he's scored a hatful in limited time there but I prefer him on the right.

It's a tricky one because sometimes I would like us to have a more traditional striker and see them finish more standard goals. On the other hand, I love Firmino's industry, movement and cleverness - he is an attacking midfielder who excels up top in our system but some of the chances would be so easy for a quality 9. I then think 'would they be in position to score those?' because Firmino was often involved in the build up play and found space somehow to miss the simple chances like against Leeds when he was slid through. I don't know, guess it's a chicken egg situation.
Good post.

Although, just because I remember it from the time, Salah was much more prolific CF that season. A quick search suggests 13 from 13 CF and 9 from 24 RW.

I too would prefer him RW, but I'm not intelligent to know the difference in role between 433 and 4231 and why he's preferred CF in the latter.
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-20, 11:47 AM   #339
5europeancups
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB View Post
Maybe because Minamino looks to have settled so well in preseason we’ve decided to cash in On Brewster’s potential
plus mbappe coming end of season...
Old 18-09-20, 11:49 AM   #340
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReet View Post
Good post.

Although, just because I remember it from the time, Salah was much more prolific CF that season. A quick search suggests 13 from 13 CF and 9 from 24 RW.

I too would prefer him RW, but I'm not intelligent to know the difference in role between 433 and 4231 and why he's preferred CF in the latter.
I knew that statistically I'd be proven wrong! Just goes to show that the 'eye test' is bullshit and our perceptions are often pretty flawed. Still, much prefer him on the right.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-20, 12:02 PM   #341
SB
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5europeancups View Post
plus mbappe coming end of season...
He wants out apparently at the end of the season why not us?
Old 21-09-20, 12:22 PM   #342
greenturnip
Houllier

Sky reporting that Palace have bid £19M + 5M in add-ons for Brewster - with a buy back clause.
greenturnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-20, 12:32 PM   #343
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenturnip View Post
Sky reporting that Palace have bid £19M + 5M in add-ons for Brewster - with a buy back clause.
Yep. £37m buy back. Bit steep!

I'd much rather he went to Sheff Utd to work with Wilder than have his development stunted by fucking Hodgson.

Old 21-09-20, 12:33 PM   #344
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

I wonder if it means Zaha is on his way.

Anyway, feel we kind of owe Palace after Benteke and to a lesser extent Sakho (as he's never fit).
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-20, 12:34 PM   #345
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Yep. £37m buy back. Bit steep!

I'd much rather he went to Sheff Utd to work with Wilder than have his development stunted by fucking Hodgson.

https://twitter.com/RobDorsettSky/st...01652159508486
Old 21-09-20, 12:36 PM   #346
Irishnev
Shankly

They also signed Michy right? He won’t be first choice there - the prospect of being Hodged would worry me but I guess a move back to London appeals to him
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-20, 12:36 PM   #347
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 21-09-20, 12:40 PM   #348
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Our strategy of getting incoming transfers completed before we send anyone out is genius negotiation wise. We've clearly played the 'uncertain financial future' card to get the best deals (paying over 4 years for both Jota and Thiago) which would be more difficult if we had just trousered £25m for Brewster.
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-20, 12:42 PM   #349
Maxiedge
Shankly

We should give them Brian Rooster instead
Maxiedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-20, 12:42 PM   #350
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 21-09-20, 12:43 PM   #351
Harv
Randy Marsh

Easy money

and buy back clause too! Watch Edwards put a sell on clause in there too, so we'd probably barely be paying anything for him if we ever bought him back

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-20, 12:46 PM   #352
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

When was the last time a striker fired under Hodgson?

That Sorloth looked the worst striker ever under Roy at Palace, went to Trabzonspor on loan and broke all sorts of goalscoring records. Scored about 30 in as many games, and is now on the brink of signing for Leipzig.

I can't think of any striker flourishing under Hodgson in recent years. Anyone?
Old 21-09-20, 12:47 PM   #353
Sus
Benitez

Zaha? Not exactly a striker I guess
Old 21-09-20, 12:53 PM   #354
frank the tank
Shankly

yeah roy is a bi of a striker killer alright..... Bobby Zamora had a few games under him at fulham many years ago....

I am not sure it is a good move for Brewster. As someone said, I just don't know how often he will play. I wonder will palace play with 2 up top in future??? Michy and Ayew??? With Brewster back up to that???

Regarding the buy-back clauses, I wonder is that a ploy by LFC. Didn't they put one on Brad Smith and Jordan Ibe too???
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-20, 12:57 PM   #355
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
When was the last time a striker fired under Hodgson?

That Sorloth looked the worst striker ever under Roy at Palace, went to Trabzonspor on loan and broke all sorts of goalscoring records. Scored about 30 in as many games, and is now on the brink of signing for Leipzig.

I can't think of any striker flourishing under Hodgson in recent years. Anyone?
Definitely not big shit Chris. He went there in poor form and has since regressed.

I dunno, the thought of working under an old codger like Roy would be off putting for me. Saying all of that, he seems to be able to create a decent mid-table prem team.
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-20, 01:01 PM   #356
Scratch
If you fail once....

Villa fan at work reckons that they are still looking at the possibility of Brewster or Origi, but his only source of info is villa fan pages, no inside knowledge. But I felt like sharing, cos I'm bored.
Old 21-09-20, 01:06 PM   #357
Sus
Benitez

I'm sure there were rumours in the main papers a few weeks ago about Origi being linked to Villa, for around 25m quid. Not sure if this was before or after Watkins was joining though
Old 21-09-20, 01:07 PM   #358
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Definitely not big shit Chris. He went there in poor form and has since regressed.

I dunno, the thought of working under an old codger like Roy would be off putting for me. Saying all of that, he seems to be able to create a decent mid-table prem team.
Working under Hodgson would be a big no no for me, especially as a young player looking to develop.
Old 21-09-20, 01:08 PM   #359
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
Working under Hodgson would be a big no no for me, especially as a young player looking to develop.
Let's face it though, he won't realistically be coming back here
Old 21-09-20, 01:08 PM   #360
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
I'm sure there were rumours in the main papers a few weeks ago about Origi being linked to Villa, for around 25m quid. Not sure if this was before or after Watkins was joining though
Yeah I think I have seen them liked as front runners for Origi and Wilson over the last month or so, not sure if there is anything in it or not

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC