It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 08-01-21, 10:44 AM   #2481
BigChief
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Suarez was a worldie with us but he went next level at Barca - his numbers there were astounding
Ok Suarez I can agree with, though posting 'numbers' in the PL is vastly different than posting numbers anywhere else in the continent.

Alonso won loads at a decent level, but then so did Macca and Owen. As a cruder example, so did Bale. Not sure any of these players exceeded their peaks though, maybe maintained it for a short while.

Alonso had average games because look who he had to play next to when Gerrard was injured or rested.
Old 08-01-21, 10:48 AM   #2482
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venton View Post
Lucky for us there's absolutely no chance of that, he's nowhere near being a world-beater fully fit.
I tend to agree. Maybe if there was a league that was the slowest league on earth he might have a chance.
Old 08-01-21, 11:34 AM   #2483
Pepe79
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChief View Post
Ok Suarez I can agree with, though posting 'numbers' in the PL is vastly different than posting numbers anywhere else in the continent.

Alonso won loads at a decent level, but then so did Macca and Owen. As a cruder example, so did Bale. Not sure any of these players exceeded their peaks though, maybe maintained it for a short while.

Alonso had average games because look who he had to play next to when Gerrard was injured or rested.
Mascherano, Hamann, Sissoko?
Pepe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 11:36 AM   #2484
frank the tank
Shankly

Disagree on the Xabi Alonso statement. He was an instrumental player for Real Madrid and Bayern Munich for a number of years.

Same with Mascherano at Barca too.

They all went on to better things after leaving LFC and won loads of trophies. They played for - and were vitally important to - some of the biggest club football sides in the world. And won trophies. Can't get bigger than that.

The likes of Coutinho, Torres, McManaman, Owen all went to other clubs. All won things. But were not really important for any sustained period of time (McManaman perhaps an exception but he didn't really do it for 5-8 years like the others......more like 2-3 if my memory serves me correct?).

Such a pity FSG didn't take over LFC instead of H&G. Rafa was a cunt-hair away from having football domination.
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 11:40 AM   #2485
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Lucky for us there's absolutely no chance of that, he's nowhere near being a world-beater fully fit.
There's two things. He's may well be a perma crock no matter where he plays. That's the risk with footballers, especially when they play on fields when they're injured. And yeah he's never hit his ceiling and may never will.

Its a shame its went the way it has but its well past time to cut loose.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 12:33 PM   #2486
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

Quote:
Yeah right, that's why Klopp spent £50 million pounds on him.

He's never been able to play 5 games consecutively here so it's easy to see why.
Old 08-01-21, 12:38 PM   #2487
Venton
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
Yeah right, that's why Klopp spent £50 million pounds on him.

He's never been able to play 5 games consecutively here so it's easy to see why.
I didn't think he was a world beater before he came to us either. if you're going to throw around those kind of superlatives you've really got to do better than that.
Old 08-01-21, 12:41 PM   #2488
Fredo

Quote:
I didn't think he was a world beater before he came to us either. if you're going to throw around those kind of superlatives you've really got to do better than that.
"He's nowhere near being a world-beater fully fit"? How do you know that? He hasn't been able to play regularly for a length of time for us, so you cannot judge.

Last edited by Fredo; 08-01-21 at 12:44 PM.
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 12:48 PM   #2489
Venton
Paisley

Quote:
Aren't you the one throwing superlatives around such as "he's nowhere near being a world-beater fully fit"? How do you know that? He hasn't been able to play regularly for a length of time for us, so you cannot judge.
Given that since he's played for us he's given absolutely no indication that he would be I've some justification for it at least. What I don't do is throw out some grandiose, unjustifiable piffle, always at the extreme end of the scale, in an off-hand self-evident way and expect not to be called out on it.
Old 08-01-21, 12:54 PM   #2490
Pepe79
Shankly

He’s a fantastic player, maybe more as someone who makes us a better team rather than a stand out individual, but that’s not a bad thing.

Look back at Liverpool’s outstanding performances over the last 18 months and see how frequently they happen to be games that he has started in. Heck of a coincidence for someone who plays so sporadically.

His availability is wretched though, and doesn’t look like it’s ever going to improve. It’s massive shame for him and for Liverpool.
Old 08-01-21, 01:14 PM   #2491
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
Disagree on the Xabi Alonso statement. He was an instrumental player for Real Madrid and Bayern Munich for a number of years.

Same with Mascherano at Barca too.

They all went on to better things after leaving LFC and won loads of trophies. They played for - and were vitally important to - some of the biggest club football sides in the world. And won trophies. Can't get bigger than that.

The likes of Coutinho, Torres, McManaman, Owen all went to other clubs. All won things. But were not really important for any sustained period of time (McManaman perhaps an exception but he didn't really do it for 5-8 years like the others......more like 2-3 if my memory serves me correct?).

Such a pity FSG didn't take over LFC instead of H&G. Rafa was a cunt-hair away from having football domination.
Even so, none of the players you mentioned improved as players having left.
Old 08-01-21, 01:16 PM   #2492
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post
I tend to agree. Maybe if there was a league that was the slowest league on earth he might have a chance.
He was a dynamic player in a walk around league. The dynamism isn't really noticeable in the PL.
Old 08-01-21, 01:31 PM   #2493
Fredo

Quote:
Given that since he's played for us he's given absolutely no indication that he would be I've some justification for it at least. What I don't do is throw out some grandiose, unjustifiable piffle, always at the extreme end of the scale, in an off-hand self-evident way and expect not to be called out on it.

Who are you to ďcall me out on itĒ

Thatís your opinion. Our manager probably has a different one to yours and paid £50m for him based on obvious evidence he has the potential to become a world class player. It hasnít turned out to be the case yet for injury reasons, which obviously you chose not to consider because of your blinkered reasoning.

It would be funny to see you still banging on about it next year if heís still around and weíve not sold him.
Old 08-01-21, 01:37 PM   #2494
Venton
Paisley

Quote:
Who are you to ďcall me out on itĒ

Thatís your opinion. Our manager probably has a different one to yours and paid £50m for him based on obvious evidence he has the potential to become a world class player. It hasnít turned out to be the case yet for injury reasons, which obviously you chose not to consider because of your blinkered reasoning.

It would be funny to see you still banging on about it next year if heís still around and weíve not sold him.
I'd be happy to eat my words, although I didn't say anything about selling him. The test should be whether or not he's a "world beater".
Old 08-01-21, 02:27 PM   #2495
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:
Old 08-01-21, 02:36 PM   #2496
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChief View Post

Are you talking about Michael Owen?!
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1

Curtis Julian Jones Fanclub #1
Rich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-21, 07:33 AM   #2497
Ben_Itez
Dalglish

Three pages down?!

Last time he played we won 7-0.

I know heís injury prone but when heís fit he offers us SO much. Quality player IMO! He gets the balled played quick. Added to 8/9 first choice players out heíll offer us some great options 👍🏻
Old 06-02-21, 12:10 PM   #2498
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Plays well then disappears for weeks, page 3 is probably a decent representation of him on Est
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-21, 12:20 PM   #2499
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Itez View Post
Three pages down?!

Last time he played we won 7-0.

I know heís injury prone but when heís fit he offers us SO much. Quality player IMO! He gets the balled played quick. Added to 8/9 first choice players out heíll offer us some great options 👍🏻

Fully fit there is a quality player there. He is like Thiago in that he is almost press proof and receives the ball so well under pressure.

The problem is what most will say, and that he just cannot stay fit/uninjured for a decent run of games.

Was one of those that was really excited when we signed him as he was amazing in the Bundesliga and he was managing 25+ starts a season in a 34 game league when there.

Am just hoping we do not break Kabak as we have form for Bundeliga players becoming injury prone when with us. Matip was putting in regular 25 to 30+ game league campaigns when in Germany and played in every league game for Schalke in his last season there and poor Thiago gets assualted on the pitch after joining us along with getting covid.

Though to be fair to the club we do not discriminate with it comes to injuries and we share them around.
And if she sees you here, she gonna cut you through
Jaco_Pastorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-21, 07:53 AM   #2500
danperkins

Taking into account the massive fee and wage, could it be argued that this far it's one of, if not the worst signing we've ever made?

Last edited by danperkins; 25-02-21 at 07:55 AM.
danperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-21, 07:59 AM   #2501
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Most expensive perhaps but if he'd been able to stay injury free he'd have performed.

I just don't understand how these players weren't injury prone before coming here. It's not like the German league lacks intensity
Old 25-02-21, 08:34 AM   #2502
Fredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by danperkins View Post
Taking into account the massive fee and wage, could it be argued that this far it's one of, if not the worst signing we've ever made?

His career is not finished here yet, so I would argue this will have to wait.
Old 25-02-21, 08:56 AM   #2503
poorscousertommy
Dalglish

Quote:
It's nowhere near as bad as Aquilani.

You don't half go overboard sometimes
poorscousertommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-21, 09:48 AM   #2504
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
I would argue this
Old 25-02-21, 10:45 AM   #2505
ntto
Dalglish

Joe Cole says hello
ntto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-21, 10:46 AM   #2506
ntto
Dalglish

as does Paul fucking Konchesky!
ntto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-21, 10:46 AM   #2507
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Plenty worse signings even taking his huge transfer fee into account.
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1

Curtis Julian Jones Fanclub #1
Rich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-21, 10:50 AM   #2508
Chazza
Des Lynam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Plenty worse signings even taking his huge transfer fee into account.
Andy Carroll.
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-21, 10:53 AM   #2509
Pepe79
Shankly

Quote:
Youíd have to have a real grudge for him and go out of your way to do so.

For a start, Ox is on the same wages. His transfer fee was £8-12m cheaper, but itís a still fairly comparative financial outlay. And Ox came with an injury history, Keita didnít.

In terms of playing time, Naby is 3772 minutes, Ox is 4513.
Ox has been here a season longer, so actually has averaged even fewer minutes than Naby.

For the record, I donít think either player deserves to come into the conversation.
Old 25-02-21, 11:08 AM   #2510
frank the tank
Shankly

I think if there wasn't a global pandemic at this stage then we would be looking to sell him and cut our losses. In the hope that someone would take a chance based on his history in the german league.

He has been a huge letdown considering how much he cost and what impact was expected of him. He was going to be the all rounder missing jigsaw piece. He was worth waiting a full season for. Klopp openly celebrated his capture and spoke about how it was a huge signing for LFC. His friends back in Germany told him he was lucky to have Naby.

Also, considering that he knew for a full 12 months before he moved to LFC that he was coming, then it wasn't unreasonable to expect him to be pretty much fluent in english on his first day. That was a bit of a disappointment too. It would have helped with his integration.

One other thing that pisses me off about him is the fact that he could have Covid and 2 broken legs and he'd seem to be able to make an international fixture.

But if he gets his injuries behind him in this latest effort to be fully fit, gets to the end of the season and has a decent pre-season, then he has a clean slate going into next season and who knows, he could be an asset. If there is a manager that can get a song out of him then it is Jurgen.
Old 25-02-21, 11:20 AM   #2511
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post
Youíd have to have a real grudge for him and go out of your way to do so.

For a start, Ox is on the same wages. His transfer fee was £8-12m cheaper, but itís a still fairly comparative financial outlay. And Ox came with an injury history, Keita didnít.

In terms of playing time, Naby is 3772 minutes, Ox is 4513.
Ox has been here a season longer, so actually has averaged even fewer minutes than Naby.

For the record, I donít think either player deserves to come into the conversation.
No, he shouldnít. Itís disappointing but he has contributed.
Old 25-02-21, 11:28 AM   #2512
Peter_Griffin
Houllier

Quote:

Not even close.
Peter_Griffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-21, 11:30 AM   #2513
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Griffin View Post

Not even close.
Yeah not close for me. We know he can play, he's been disappointing and plagued by injury, but could come good yet.

Carroll is the worst imo. An absolute carthorse for £35m in 2011?!
Old 25-02-21, 11:34 AM   #2514
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

I agree. Thankfully we got Suarez to offset the fuck up.
Old 25-02-21, 11:41 AM   #2515
Peter_Griffin
Houllier

I think the problem we’ve got with Naby is the fanfair before he signed. He looked like an absolute world beater in the bundesliga.

He’s been poorly handled by the Guinean national team which has contributed to his injury record. I’m still hopeful he’ll come good.
Peter_Griffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-21, 12:05 PM   #2516
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Paul Konchesky is easily the worst footballer I’ve ever seen pull on the red shirt. In an absolutely awful team he was by far the worst player.
Old 25-02-21, 12:08 PM   #2517
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Paul Konchesky is easily the worst footballer Iíve ever seen pull on the red shirt. In an absolutely awful team he was by far the worst player.
his mum was a right wagon as well..... ha ha

I suppose to play devils advocate on the argument, Paul Konchesky didn't cost over 50 million.
Old 25-02-21, 12:10 PM   #2518
Corndog
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Paul Konchesky is easily the worst footballer Iíve ever seen pull on the red shirt. In an absolutely awful team he was by far the worst player.
I wish I could agree but it's not so clear cut for me.

He's a contender no doubt but also to be considered:

Poulsen
Aly Cissohko
Philipp Degen
Dossena

And that's just off the top of my head during the rafa / rodgers eras.

"There are two great teams on Merseyside; Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves." - Bill Shankly
Corndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-21, 12:27 PM   #2519
danperkins

Quote:
His career is not finished here yet, so I would argue this will have to wait.
That's why I said 'this far'
Old 25-02-21, 12:33 PM   #2520
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
I wish I could agree but it's not so clear cut for me.

He's a contender no doubt but also to be considered:

Poulsen
Aly Cissohko
Philipp Degen
Dossena

And that's just off the top of my head during the rafa / rodgers eras.
Dossena scored against Man U and Real Madrid.
Degen never really got a game due to injury.

Cissohko was bad, true, but for alroind lack of ability PFK is the winner. I recall games where he really couldnít mark his man, seemingly had no real understanding of the position or his requirements. He was awful.

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC