It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 18-07-21, 11:50 AM   #5041
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidget View Post
450 people went to Wembley this morning on coaches from my local to watch Super (spreader event) Saints. Maskless and feckless all.
Wembley is the epicentre of the current wave. It will be written about in history.
Old 18-07-21, 11:50 AM   #5042
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigadon View Post
Jamie Roberts in the centre?

Actually I saw that Jamie Roberts picked a reasonable team.
Old 18-07-21, 06:58 PM   #5043
Irishnev
Paisley

Normally going into the test match you’d have the majority of the side picked in your head but this one has so many tight calls. I don’t know if that is a good thing or bad thing - back 3, centre, scrum half, back row, AWJ conundrum, hooker, one of the props.......

Just saw Matt Dawson’s team and it was all England and no Scots in the team
Irishnev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-21, 11:48 PM   #5044
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Normally going into the test match you’d have the majority of the side picked in your head but this one has so many tight calls. I don’t know if that is a good thing or bad thing - back 3, centre, scrum half, back row, AWJ conundrum, hooker, one of the props.......

Just saw Matt Dawson’s team and it was all England and no Scots in the team
Yeah saw that too Few pundits manage to stay genuinely neutral in these selections!

I agree it is very tough team to pick and loads of tight calls. It is going to be fascinating. Just hope we’ve got skin in the game!

The only certs for me are Furlong, Maro and Biggar.
Old 19-07-21, 06:03 AM   #5045
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Yeah saw that too Few pundits manage to stay genuinely neutral in these selections!

I agree it is very tough team to pick and loads of tight calls. It is going to be fascinating. Just hope we’ve got skin in the game!

The only certs for me are Furlong, Maro and Biggar.
And I’d say Itoje is based on reputation rather than form
Old 19-07-21, 08:23 AM   #5046
RichC
Meh

2nd row is all about AWJ and if he starts. Henderson can feel unlucky if he doesn’t get a starting spot this weekend but I think Itoje will be in one of the spots and then it’ll depend on AWJ and his fitness.

SH is an interesting one as it’ll likely be Murray but not sure he’s actually playing that well at the moment. Biggar is nailed on at FH and rightly so.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-21, 09:07 AM   #5047
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Yeah, my only worry with AWJ is fitness. Otherwise he is in there also but that’s 4 out of 15! There are some incredibly tough calls

But Gatland does make them - dropping O‘Driscoll etc.

Last edited by Buzzo; 19-07-21 at 09:09 AM.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-21, 12:05 PM   #5048
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Sounds like AWJ will start.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/57888115
Old 19-07-21, 12:38 PM   #5049
Rigadon
Shankly

Old 19-07-21, 01:13 PM   #5050
Big Dave
Benitez

15: Williams
14: Adams
13: Harris
12: Farrell
11: Van Der Merwe
10: Biggar
9: Price
8: Faletau
7: Watson
6: Beirne
5: Jones
4: Itoje
3: Furlong
2: George
1: Jones

I've got Farrell in at 12, but I'm not entirely sure he should be there. Harris has been excellent, and I think Henshaw is probably the best centre in the squad but he seems to have missed a lot of the tour so far. I think the centre partnership is the tightest call of the lot.

Last edited by Big Dave; 19-07-21 at 01:18 PM.
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-21, 01:27 PM   #5051
Harv
Randy Marsh

BIG DAVE!!!! Jesus, were have you been man!?!

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-21, 04:06 PM   #5052
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
15: Williams
14: Adams
13: Harris
12: Farrell
11: Van Der Merwe
10: Biggar
9: Price
8: Faletau
7: Watson
6: Beirne
5: Jones
4: Itoje
3: Furlong
2: George
1: Jones

I've got Farrell in at 12, but I'm not entirely sure he should be there. Harris has been excellent, and I think Henshaw is probably the best centre in the squad but he seems to have missed a lot of the tour so far. I think the centre partnership is the tightest call of the lot.
They are all huge calls and I see the back 3 as the hardest one to call, they need someone to stop Kolbie
Old 19-07-21, 06:27 PM   #5053
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
You must have filtered out the Scots in your squad that’s the Irish, Welsh and English Lions.
Old 20-07-21, 12:49 PM   #5054
Rigadon
Shankly

Quote:
You must have filtered out the Scots in your squad that’s the Irish, Welsh and English Lions.
To be honest, if the following team was selected (appreciate Finn is injured), I wouldn't have any complaints:

Old 20-07-21, 02:22 PM   #5055
Irishnev
Paisley

South Africa: Le Roux; Kolbe, Am, De Allende, Mapimpi; Pollard, De Klerk; Nche, Mbonambi, Nyakane, Etzebeth, Mostert, Kolisi (capt), Du Toit, Smith

Replacements: Marx, Kitshoff, Malherbe, De Jager, Elstadt, H Jantjies, E Jantjies, Willemse

Big lads
Old 20-07-21, 02:43 PM   #5056
Zapater
Dalglish

Pleased to see Pollard back. Perhaps surprising to see Elton given the nod ahead of Steyn, but I think it's the right choice. Morne controls a game better, but Jantjies can bring something extra. Other surprise is Kwagga Smith starting. Not sure about that tbh he's tiny compared to the other loose forwards and even though he has a heart of a gold, I always worry a bit about him after that red card in the Super Rugby final a few years back. Even though it could have happened to anyone and wasn't really his fault, I always reflect back to that. Wouldn't have minded seeing Jasper Wiese in the squad, he seems very handy but it makes sense he's not. The others have earned their stripes.

One could argue the front row on the bench should be starting, but you can't doubt the 'Bomb Squad' strategy given its success. Only worry is that they're clearly underdone in terms of competitive games, weirdly the Lions have probably played more together recently than the Boks. Probably reflected in the 5/3 split on the bench.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-21, 03:27 PM   #5057
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
Pleased to see Pollard back. Perhaps surprising to see Elton given the nod ahead of Steyn, but I think it's the right choice. Morne controls a game better, but Jantjies can bring something extra. Other surprise is Kwagga Smith starting. Not sure about that tbh he's tiny compared to the other loose forwards and even though he has a heart of a gold, I always worry a bit about him after that red card in the Super Rugby final a few years back. Even though it could have happened to anyone and wasn't really his fault, I always reflect back to that. Wouldn't have minded seeing Jasper Wiese in the squad, he seems very handy but it makes sense he's not. The others have earned their stripes.

One could argue the front row on the bench should be starting, but you can't doubt the 'Bomb Squad' strategy given its success. Only worry is that they're clearly underdone in terms of competitive games, weirdly the Lions have probably played more together recently than the Boks. Probably reflected in the 5/3 split on the bench.
He is the maverick the Lions are missing with Russell being injured. If you are chasing the game then he’s a good option
Old 20-07-21, 03:33 PM   #5058
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
To be honest, if the following team was selected (appreciate Finn is injured), I wouldn't have any complaints:

There are lots of options!!!
Old 20-07-21, 03:45 PM   #5059
RichC
Meh

Quote:
He is the maverick the Lions are missing with Russell being injured. If you are chasing the game then he’s a good option
Smith is cut from a similar cloth to that of Russell so it's not a complete bust for the Lions in that regard.

The SA pack are a big lump, the Lions are going to have to be at their very best to compete and some of this will be down to how they adapt to how the ref runs the game in the scrums, give pens early on for infringements we need to learn and adapt to it and quickly.
Old 20-07-21, 04:00 PM   #5060
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Smith is cut from a similar cloth to that of Russell so it's not a complete bust for the Lions in that regard.

The SA pack are a big lump, the Lions are going to have to be at their very best to compete and some of this will be down to how they adapt to how the ref runs the game in the scrums, give pens early on for infringements we need to learn and adapt to it and quickly.
And not take tap 5 yard pens - all about the pack setting the platform this one
Old 20-07-21, 07:23 PM   #5061
Irishnev
Paisley

Can somebody post this please

Old 20-07-21, 07:25 PM   #5062
Irishnev
Paisley

Supposed team

Hogg; A Watson, E Daly, R Henshaw, D van der Merwe; D Biggar, A Price; W Jones, L Cowan-Dickie, T Furlong, A W Jones (c), M Itoje, C Lawes, T Curry, J Conan.
Replacements K Owens, R Sutherland, K Sinckler, T Beirne, H Watson, I Henderson, C Murray, O Farrell.
Old 20-07-21, 07:25 PM   #5063
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Old 20-07-21, 07:30 PM   #5064
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Supposed team

Hogg; A Watson, E Daly, R Henshaw, D van der Merwe; D Biggar, A Price; W Jones, L Cowan-Dickie, T Furlong, A W Jones (c), M Itoje, C Lawes, T Curry, J Conan.
Replacements K Owens, R Sutherland, K Sinckler, T Beirne, H Watson, I Henderson, C Murray, O Farrell.
Interesting. Miles away from what any pundits have chosen

I read an article on stats that had Conan as clear favourite for number 8. Lawes is a sensible choice as well for his physicality. Price is in better form than Murray. Curry with Watson on the bench works either way.

6-2 on the bench with Farrell covering centre and 10.

Duhan because he is physically dominant (and lest we forget was the top try scorer in the 6Ns).

It’s an exciting team.
Old 20-07-21, 07:33 PM   #5065
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Daly and Henshaw is an interesting centre partnership.

No Liam Williams - had he played since he got monstered vs SA A? He’s a great player but I’ve not seen him play well for a while. That is a team picked based on form and physicality.
Old 20-07-21, 07:35 PM   #5066
RichC
Meh

Interesting side if true. Slightly surprised with Hogg at FB mainly due to the highball but he can make things happen. Watson I think is lucky to be in especially with the form Josh Adams has shown.

Murray hasn't been playing well tbh so Price coming in could work.

Big Toby in as 8 is a tad unlucky as well.

Anyway, fingers crossed if this is the side they've got enough about them to get at the Boks.
Old 20-07-21, 07:39 PM   #5067
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Even if it’s not the side I would have picked I. And see the rationale behind it.

Josh Adams is an interesting case also. You could see the hype building for him and he did score a lot of try’s - but more than half were easy run ins against weak opponents. Still, it’s a massive call to not pick him.

It’s a massive MASSSIVE game for Ali Price. I love everything he does as a player and how he tries to play, but he was nowhere near this even 12 months ago. I think his games vs England and France and then how good he has been on tour has pushed him forward.

He is a very exciting 9 - I hope he seizes the opportunity.

Shame Cormack has stopped posting, I’d love to hear his views on this.
Old 20-07-21, 07:42 PM   #5068
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
Interesting side if true. Slightly surprised with Hogg at FB mainly due to the highball but he can make things happen. Watson I think is lucky to be in especially with the form Josh Adams has shown.

Murray hasn't been playing well tbh so Price coming in could work.

Big Toby in as 8 is a tad unlucky as well.

Anyway, fingers crossed if this is the side they've got enough about them to get at the Boks.
It keeps “us” all happy - we’ve all skin in the game now. Hogg I’m delighted for as he was robbed 4 years ago, the back 3 was so hard to call and Watson has been excellent (Adams is a big call), Daly is the most creative outside centre and kicks well but he is small if the Boks run at him, happy Price is in as he is on better form than Murray and I want to win, we are all wrong in the back row but Lawes will be big and physical as will Curry and two jackals in Beirne and Watson on the bench. Conan is solid and that’s what he wants I guess - must have been going well in training
Old 20-07-21, 07:43 PM   #5069
RichC
Meh

Even the likes of Henderson is unlucky to miss out. Farrell from the bench is about right at the moment, not deserving of a starting spot but he can cover a couple of positions which is a real benefit ( as is having Daly in the squad)
Old 20-07-21, 07:54 PM   #5070
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Daly also because of how far he can kick, between him and Hogg (though Daly more accurate) pens from even inside our half become a possibility. Getting points is crucial so a clear headed captain is important and with that I’m mind it’s good that it’s AWJ.
Old 20-07-21, 07:56 PM   #5071
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
It keeps “us” all happy - we’ve all skin in the game now. Hogg I’m delighted for as he was robbed 4 years ago, the back 3 was so hard to call and Watson has been excellent (Adams is a big call), Daly is the most creative outside centre and kicks well but he is small if the Boks run at him, happy Price is in as he is on better form than Murray and I want to win, we are all wrong in the back row but Lawes will be big and physical as will Curry and two jackals in Beirne and Watson on the bench. Conan is solid and that’s what he wants I guess - must have been going well in training
I now move on from being worried we don’t have any starters to hoping they don’t fuck up

Yeah when you see it written down, as a team it makes a lot of sense. Not one that anyone would have had a hope in hell of predicting a year ago.
Old 20-07-21, 08:04 PM   #5072
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Shame Cormack has stopped posting, I’d love to hear his views on this.
Been waiting for his comments myself. I hope he's okay.

I see Jacques has said that Kwagga does the same things as Duane Vermeulen, just in a different way. Don't agree with that, but the public endorsement is always a positive thing. His 7s background and running definitely gives some advantages. Reminds me a bit of Keegan Daniel in some ways who was hugely underused in the Bok set up during his career.
Old 20-07-21, 08:20 PM   #5073
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
I now move on from being worried we don’t have any starters to hoping they don’t fuck up

Yeah when you see it written down, as a team it makes a lot of sense. Not one that anyone would have had a hope in hell of predicting a year ago.
DVDM and Hogg will be bombarded + Faf will be in Price’s ear - am sure they’ll step up and two more to be capped off the bench. Daly’s long kicking and versatility allows for the 6-2 bench also
Old 20-07-21, 08:24 PM   #5074
RichC
Meh

Been watching some of the old lions tests vs SA. What a player Joost Van Der Westhuizen was
Old 20-07-21, 08:32 PM   #5075
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
Been watching some of the old lions tests vs SA. What a player Joost Van Der Westhuizen was
Reminds me of prime Conor Murray

Joost was special and he had the height to go with it
Old 20-07-21, 08:50 PM   #5076
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Yeah - a true Rugby icon. Incredible player.
Old 20-07-21, 08:52 PM   #5077
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
What a man, great player. Giant for a scrum half too when you consider he started in the non-pro era. Stransky often gets the credit for his dropkick in the 95 WC final, rightfully so but Joost's hands and quick pass was also excellent. I can't believe how frail he was later in life. MND is seriously one of the worst things that can happen to someone. He went from strong to nothing in a few years.

From the last tour the heroes for me were Jacques Fourie, the Beast and Heinrich Brüssow.
Old 20-07-21, 08:59 PM   #5078
Zapater
Dalglish

Also, not really sure if it's appropriate given his how it ended up for him. But he went hard and was active on the party scene. Saw him around a few clubs in Joburg at the end of his career and early retirement. Was often fucked up, apparently had quite the nose for the cat (think you guys in the UK call it m-cat) and was often seen with much younger girls (presumably often strippers and hookers) . Had a well publicised divorce, but his reputation was saved by his disease.

Last edited by Zapater; 20-07-21 at 09:01 PM.
Old 20-07-21, 09:01 PM   #5079
RichC
Meh

The MND is bloody awful, the pictures of him towards the end are awful to see. Doddy Weir who Buzzo will be able to give far more info about has the same disease.
Old 21-07-21, 06:01 AM   #5080
Rigadon
Shankly

Some recent research suggests a higher rate of MND in elite athletes.

est1892 > General > General Sports