It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 11-11-21, 04:46 PM   #4001
Yozza
Shankly

Pakistan finish on 176-4

Don't think it'll be enough... have Pakistan left too many runs in the dressing room like England did?

Bob's Miserable Bastards Club Member #2
Yozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-21, 06:50 PM   #4002
destinydude
Dalglish

some real clean hitting there by Matty Wade. 6,6,6 in a row to finish it
Old 11-11-21, 08:16 PM   #4003
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Unbelievable

Quote:
T20 World Cup: New Zealand's Devon Conway out of final after breaking hand punching bat

Of all the ways to be ruled out of a World Cup final...

New Zealand's Devon Conway will miss Sunday's showpiece against Australia at the T20 World Cup after breaking his hand punching his own bat.

He picked up the injury when hitting his bat in frustration after being dismissed in the Black Caps' semi-final win over England on Wednesday.

Scans have revealed the 30-year-old broke his fifth metacarpal in his right hand.

Wade's three consecutive sixes see Australia beat Pakistan in thriller
"He's absolutely gutted to be ruled out like this at this time," coach Gary Stead said.

"It looked a pretty innocuous reactionary incident on the field, but the blow obviously caught the bat between the glove padding and while it's not the smartest thing he's done there's certainly an element of bad luck in the injury."

Conway, who has also kept wicket in New Zealand's last five games, was stumped off Liam Livingstone's bowling for 46 - at which point his side needed 72 from 38 balls.

He has scored 129 runs in six innings at an average of 32.25 throughout the tournament.

He will also miss New Zealand's highly-anticipated Test series in India, which starts on 25 November.
Old 16-11-21, 11:10 AM   #4004
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Been watching Rafiq speak at the Select Committee, and dear God it's pretty abject stuff. Horrifying tbh.

Rotten to the core.

Old 16-11-21, 11:21 AM   #4005
Alex
Administrator

God, thats some entitled and empowered cunts right there. Who the fuck thinks thats acceptable?
Old 16-11-21, 11:25 AM   #4006
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

It's shocking this

Old 16-11-21, 11:46 AM   #4007
Alex
Administrator

See I dont respect Root for standing by and letting it happen, he might be a good person, but how can you be a good person if you see someone, a teammate, be racially abused for banter. Ive been in a tear up because someone called my Indian mate horrible slur. It didnt sit well with us as 20 somethings, so why is it sitting fine enough to slide with people like Root.

This is all probably pretty hypocritical of me though, as when we were similar age we all engaged in that type of shit banter with my mate (never racist language mentioned in that tweet). Weve spoken about it really recently and he never felt it was malicious or racist. But none of us do it now, so on some level there is acknowledgement as adults its probably not on even if he doesnt care. Maybe its that? This sounds a lot more malicious tbh.

Its really hard, because the standards I hold myself too now are a lot higher than when I was early/mid 20s and drinking every weekend.
Old 16-11-21, 12:20 PM   #4008
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I agree, it is all pretty grim. The denials from Vaughan, and Roots "I never heard anything" these are previous and current captains of England.

There needs to be a bit of honesty before anyone can move on.

Clearly Vaughan did say something. Clearly there was a culture of racist abuse but so endemic that those who were carrying it out almost didnt see it for what it is. It is like harking back to the 70's and 80's when this was the culture in society as a whole.

With Vaughan, I would respect him if he said "I hold myself to a higher standard now, and if I said anything offensive in the past then I truly apologise for it" and then he should look to educate himself about the cultures of the people he abused. He has to do that.

And with Root, he also must admit that the problem exists, and then explain how, as captain of England he intends to create this inclusive culture.

At its heart it is just so unsurprising that a game as rooted in cultural imperialism has issues in racism. The game literally exists in these countries due to colonialism and the British Empire, imagine the sense of superiority that must have existed in these days. Not at all surprising that these attitudes prevail, and not at all surprising that denial and cover up seems to be the default response.

My guess is that there are even worse examples to come.
Old 16-11-21, 12:27 PM   #4009
Alex
Administrator

There has to be worse to come, its clearly been hidden.

I think Root needs to show some leadership here in the same way Henderson has with us, or Southgate with England. Acknowledge the past, seek to make the future better. Football is lightyears ahead of Cricket (and a lot of other sports tbh) in terms of inclusivity and diversity.

I like Root, but this is such a bad look at the moment. Vaughn too. I personally think hes doing "Deny deny deny" because of wanting to protect his short term ventures. But in the long term, its going to bite him. Fuck me, he can go out and do a 3 part documentary about how he educated himself and come out of this looking a lot better and showing some personal growth, but atm he seems to be burying his head. That wont lead to systemic change.
Old 16-11-21, 12:38 PM   #4010
Yozza
Shankly

Ex-Yorkshire chairman Roger Hutton is the next witness

'I was asked to abandon the process' - Hutton

Hutton on resistance he experienced in the Yorkshire boardroom.

"There were a number of signals throughout the process, I was asked by the CEO to abandon the process and investigation.

"An employment tribunal had been settled and the CEO did not want to apologise. I said Azeem Rafiq would be part of the process of healing and reconciliation and was told he would not be welcome.

"There were isolated incidents like this throughout the investigation.

"When the report was produced on 17 August, there was a clear resistance to see Azeem as a victim and clear resistance to apology.

"There is not one defining moment and I saw resistance and it accumulated.

"I believed that the club's culture was in the past and needs changing, my resigning was not going to change that, (being on the board) that would have been done from within."

Hutton on how the club is run - 'I would have liked to have removed Arthur & Moxon

"One of my difficulties as chair is that I cannot remove someone from the board without permission from the Colin Graves Trust [which finances the club]."

Hutton is asked who, precisely, he wanted to remove and what the Colin Graves Trust said.

"I would have liked to have removed Mark Arthur and Martyn Moxon," he says.

"Not because of the conduct that is referred to in the report but as a consequence of their failure to understand the gravity of the situation, "their failure to apologise and their failure to move on the recommendations the panel put forward."

Hutton says he also thought the head of HR should be removed.

Old 16-11-21, 01:21 PM   #4011
Yozza
Shankly

Damning

Hutton also asked if Yorkshire is institutionally racist

Hutton is also asked if Yorkshire is institutionally racist.

"The panel concluded there was insufficient evidence. I have to observe that in the past few months there has been a substantial amount of thoughtlessness and ignorance and a reluctance to apologise; to see Azeem as a victim; to put into place the recommendations."

The commitee member remarks that it sounds like Hutton is edging towards yes.

"I think the question remains unanswered," he says.

When pushed further, Hutton says: "Yes, I fear it falls under that definition".

Old 16-11-21, 02:05 PM   #4012
Yozza
Shankly

On a different note...

Pakistan to host 2025 Champions Trophy as ICC confirm eight men's tournaments

Pakistan will host the 2025 Champions Trophy after the International Cricket Council confirmed eight men's tournaments between 2024 and 2031.

The announcement comes after New Zealand and England pulled out of tours to Pakistan in recent months.

The USA will host their first major cricket tournament when they jointly put on the 2024 T20 World Cup with West Indies.

The 2030 T20 World Cup will be in England, Ireland and Scotland.

The tournament in Pakistan will see the return of the Champions Trophy after an eight-year break, with Pakistan beating India, who will host the 2029 tournament, by 180 runs in the 2017 final.

There will also be T20 World Cups in India and Sri Lanka in 2026 and Australia and New Zealand in 2028.

South Africa, Zimbabwe and Namibia will host the 2027 50-over World Cup, before the 2031 tournament takes place in India and Bangladesh.

These tournaments will follow a T20 World Cup in Australia in October and November 2022 before a 50-over World Cup in India in October and November 2023.

ICC events between 2022 and 2031

50-over World Cup

2023: India

2027: South Africa, Zimbabwe and Namibia

2031: India and Bangladesh

T20 World Cup

2022: Australia

2024: USA and West Indies

2026: India and Sri Lanka

2028: Australia and New Zealand

2030: England, Ireland and Scotland

Champions Trophy

2025: Pakistan

2029: India

Old 18-11-21, 11:15 AM   #4013
Alex
Administrator

https://twitter.com/BBCr4today/statu...6999288516610?
Old 19-11-21, 09:18 AM   #4014
Harv
Randy Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Been watching Rafiq speak at the Select Committee, and dear God it's pretty abject stuff. Horrifying tbh.

Rotten to the core.

https://twitter.com/CricketMirror/st...46896834043906
I don't understand the Kevin reference. Is this an English thing?

On lighter news, Tim "goldenboy" Paine has resigned as test captain because he sent some lewd texts 4 years ago that have now come to light.

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-21, 09:54 AM   #4015
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
I don't understand the Kevin reference. Is this an English thing?

On lighter news, Tim "goldenboy" Paine has resigned as test captain because he sent some lewd texts 4 years ago that have now come to light.
I see people are getting really up in arms about this, but they're not digesting what is actually said. There's nothing racist about the name Kevin. It is however racist in this context because Ballance and Hales allegedly had an in joke referring to all people of colour as 'Kevin'. Hence Hales calling his black dog Kevin because of his black fleece.

Some of what has come out is really bad. Some big names being implicated. I think this is just the tip of the iceberg. It happened in SA too, but that was more institutionalised stuff, this is accusations of blatant in your face discrimination.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/y...-rafiq-1289651

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/a...ffered-1289656

Had a read of Ballance's side of the story (I'll try to dig up the article) and he makes it sound like they were good drinking buddies and both spoke a lot of shit. If that is the case, it's pretty harsh of him going public because Ballance claims that Rafiq stayed with his him and his family in Zimbabwe for an extended period of time and he was close to them. If that is indeed true, that's pretty shitty to go to the media before having a chance to resolve it with him directly, especially with the drugs stuff.

Saw this on Skysports which was pretty horrendous too: https://www.skysports.com/cricket/ne...t-time-at-club

Quote:
Chambers told The Cricketer: "We had a team night out in Chelmsford. The other player got pretty drunk. When I got home, he threw a banana down the stairs and said: 'Climb for it, you f***ing monkey."'
----------

On Paine, it's quite hilarious considering he was given the captaincy to instil values and lead by example. The timeline of the incident is just before the chaos ensured with Smith. What exactly does it say? I can't be bothered looking it up, it can't be that bad, can it?
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-21, 10:13 AM   #4016
Harv
Randy Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
I see people are getting really up in arms about this, but they're not digesting what is actually said. There's nothing racist about the name Kevin. It is however racist in this context because Ballance and Hales allegedly had an in joke referring to all people of colour as 'Kevin'. Hence Hales calling his black dog Kevin because of his black fleece.

Some of what has come out is really bad. Some big names being implicated. I think this is just the tip of the iceberg. It happened in SA too, but that was more institutionalised stuff, this is accusations of blatant in your face discrimination.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/y...-rafiq-1289651

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/a...ffered-1289656

Had a read of Ballance's side of the story (I'll try to dig up the article) and he makes it sound like they were good drinking buddies and both spoke a lot of shit. If that is the case, it's pretty harsh of him going public because Ballance claims that Rafiq stayed with his him and his family in Zimbabwe for an extended period of time and he was close to them. If that is indeed true, that's pretty shitty to go to the media before having a chance to resolve it with him directly, especially with the drugs stuff.

Saw this on Skysports which was pretty horrendous too: https://www.skysports.com/cricket/ne...t-time-at-club

----------

On Paine, it's quite hilarious considering he was given the captaincy to instil values and lead by example. The timeline of the incident is just before the chaos ensured with Smith. What exactly does it say? I can't be bothered looking it up, it can't be that bad, can it?
Im not exactly up in arms about it. Just asking a question, as I have no idea why the name Kevin could be deemed racist So its just Balance's own little term thats he's made up?? Thats even worse! You know all the usual terms are bad, so you've made up some term to get around it FFS

Not sure what Paine has said in the texts. There's apparently a dick pic though as you'd expect. Also not sure if the texts were mutual with this colleague (ie was she sending him shiit as well?) I think its all just being frowned upon because he's married with kids etc.

Im delighted with it though as i think he's fucking shit Carey is a much better batsman and on-par keeper.

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey

Last edited by Harv; 19-11-21 at 10:17 AM.
Old 19-11-21, 10:25 AM   #4017
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Im not exactly up in arms about it. Just asking a question, as I have no idea why the name Kevin could be deemed racist So its just Balance's own little term thats he's made up?? Thats even worse! You know all the usual terms are bad, so you've made up some term to get around it FFS

Not sure what Paine has said in the texts. There's apparently a dick pic though as you'd expect. Also not sure if the texts were mutual with this colleague (ie was she sending him shiit as well?) I think its all just being frowned upon because he's married with kids etc.

Im delighted with it though as i think he's fucking shit Carey is a much better batsman and on-par keeper.
Sorry, should have specified, didn't mean you - was referring to random people online where I've seen comments Indeed, it's 100% their own cryptic speech to be publicly racist among eachother which allegedly made its way to the English team too. Although, we don't know if this is true, all claims at this stage, but I'm not why he'd make that up I know some of the other claims were verified through other squad members, not sure about the Kevin one.

Paine is good with the gloves, but mediocre with the bat, while Carey is decent with gloves and really good at batting. Probably worth the trade in all honesty. I get a bit sick of this technology ruining people's lives. Harsh to make a guy give up the captaincy or resign for cheating on his wife or taking a photo of his cock. In the world we live in people like to think they're perfect, but all of that is part of life.
Old 19-11-21, 11:33 AM   #4018
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Why should he have to resign over this?

Old 19-11-21, 11:45 AM   #4019
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

The embarrassment must be overwhelming.
Old 19-11-21, 11:48 AM   #4020
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Laughed my head off watching him sobbing. Tbh I liked him in that documentary on Prime but there's something inherently amusing about watching Aussie captains - blokes - tearfully resigning.
Old 19-11-21, 11:54 AM   #4021
Zapater
Dalglish

I'm seriously let down by that. It's about what you'd expect from someone as boring as Paine. I was anticipating one of Slinky's fantasies playing out.

Quote:
Laughed my head off watching him sobbing. Tbh I liked him in that documentary on Prime but there's something inherently amusing about watching Aussie captains - blokes - tearfully resigning.
Old 19-11-21, 12:01 PM   #4022
Alex
Administrator

Im Cracking!

Whys he had to quit? That's weird. Just caught being an idiot.
Old 19-11-21, 12:09 PM   #4023
labourRed
Paisley

Not a bad attempt at punctuation to be fair.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-21, 07:48 AM   #4024
Harv
Randy Marsh

Quote:
Its bloody embarrassing

Nothing beats Smith blubbering like a baby though. A dribbling mess up there in front of the world FFS. Because you've been caught cheating

Old 20-11-21, 07:49 AM   #4025
Harv
Randy Marsh

Quote:

Why should he have to resign over this?

Jesus, is that it?? Losing your job because of that?? Fucking hell, what is the world coming too.

Old 20-11-21, 12:05 PM   #4026
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

He sent a dick pic too but yeah, ffs. I just don't get it. Sure, it's bad for his wife and kids but I can't see how it's a resigning issue.
Old 24-11-21, 01:01 PM   #4027
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 24-11-21, 01:04 PM   #4028
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

His fall from grace continues at pace. If he’d responded more proactively to the allegations he wouldn’t be in this position. Serves him right.
Old 25-11-21, 05:41 PM   #4029
Yozza
Shankly

He's fucked

Ashes: BT Sport reviewing plans to use Fox Sports commentary

BT Sport is reviewing plans to use Fox Sports commentary for its coverage of this winter's Ashes series.

Former England captain Michael Vaughan is currently part of the Australian broadcaster's team.

He was named in Yorkshire's report into Azeem Rafiq's claims of racism at the club, but has repeatedly denied the allegation made against him.

On Wednesday the BBC said Vaughan would not be part of its coverage for the five-Test series in Australia.

BT Sport holds the UK TV rights for the Ashes between England and Australia and had planned to take the audio feed from Fox Sports, one of the Australian rights holders.

BT Sport said the recent report into the Yorkshire racism scandal was "extremely disappointing" and a "concern for all".

"Given these recent events, we are reviewing and discussing our commentary plans with Cricket Australia," a statement read.

The first Test begins on 8 December in Brisbane.

Old 25-11-21, 09:41 PM   #4030
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Persona non grata.
Old 26-11-21, 10:42 AM   #4031
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Paine out of the Ashes and out of cricket 'for the foreseeable future'. His career looks over. Can anyone explain why this is happening just because he sent some dirty messages to a woman?
Old 26-11-21, 11:25 AM   #4032
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Seems like it and he has obviously felt some kind of reaction to this news becoming public. Must be horrendous knowing that stuff is out there in circulation.

The perception that anyone with profile leads a perfect life and should for their entire career be absolutely flawless is an unfair one. Who would want their life online and off held up to such ridiculous levels of scrutiny? It seems unbelievable that sending these pretty innocent messages leads to him losing the captaincy and questioning his career.

He has already clearly had to deal with this with his wife. She’s really the only person with any valid issues.

Last edited by Buzzo; 26-11-21 at 11:30 AM.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-21, 03:06 PM   #4033
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 01-12-21, 03:10 PM   #4034
Yozza
Shankly

Branching out....

Man Utd co-owner Avram Glazer buys UAE T20 league franchise team

Manchester United co-chairman Avram Glazer has bought a team in the new United Arab Emirates Twenty20 league.

Glazer, who also owns NFL Super Bowl champions the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, purchased the franchise through his private equity firm Lancer Capital.

The inaugural UAE T20 league is set to feature six teams and 34 matches, taking place in February and March next year.

"I am very excited to be a part of UAE T20 at its formation," said Glazer, 61.

"UAE T20 promises to be a world class event that will be transformative to the growth of cricket in the Emirates."

The Glazers, who took full ownership of Manchester United in 2005, in October failed with an attempt to buy a new franchise in the Indian Premier League, as the tournament expands from eight to 10 teams from 2022.

The UAE and Oman hosted the recent Men's T20 World Cup after it was moved from India because of the Covid-19 pandemic.

The UAE also hosted the second half of this year's IPL, the event having been postponed mid tournament earlier in the year because of a rise in Covid-19 cases among players in India.

Old 01-12-21, 03:13 PM   #4035
spud_gun
Paisley

They're going to get an actor to cover Vaughan's commentary. Shades of Gerry Adams in the 80s
spud_gun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-21, 04:06 PM   #4036
ChesterDave
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozza View Post
Branching out....

Man Utd co-owner Avram Glazer buys UAE T20 league franchise team

Manchester United co-chairman Avram Glazer has bought a team in the new United Arab Emirates Twenty20 league.
Does that mean they are ditching that ghastly T10 league?
ChesterDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-21, 04:28 PM   #4037
Yozza
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterDave View Post
Does that mean they are ditching that ghastly T10 league?
Dunno mate - I agree it's utterly pointless; at least with The Hundred you obviously get 100 delieveries... whats the point in just 60?

Old 01-12-21, 04:56 PM   #4038
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Laughable how the one day game is contracting. In five years we'll have The One - a one ball shoot-out.
Old 01-12-21, 07:04 PM   #4039
Liverpool
Paisley

I think the last tournament shown 20 overs isn't enough for the best teams to come out on top, too much importance on batting second.
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:17 AM   #4040
Alex
Administrator

Got all excited for The Ashes and realised its on BT Sport. Pass, not buying that channel.

est1892 > General > General Sports