It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 21-11-21, 08:54 AM   #1321
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
He needs a run of matches to get match sharp, but often a run of matches is what injures him...he still has a lot to offer the club, he just needs to stay fit, then even if he's not starting at least he can get 30 mins off the bench a week, to stay match fit and focused.
In a nutshell
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-21, 10:45 AM   #1322
BigChief
Paisley

Definitely improving and offered tons more than any Arsenal midfielder on show, including Smith Rowe. Not that Arsenal are the standard I'm holding him up to.

Played the Gini role by being the constant pest. Needed that after conceding 8 easy goals through our midfield in previous games.
Old 21-11-21, 10:51 AM   #1323
Exiled_red
Paisley

He had a good game, and if he plays like that regularly he has something to offer from the start, which I have been questioning for a while. That said I think that the way Arsenal played helped him look good, key will be what he does against sides that are more difficult for us to play against.
Old 21-11-21, 12:00 PM   #1324
Fosterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool View Post
a lot of his off the ball movement (or lack of it) was terrible, he really struggled to get into the game and was taking up awful positions
Where you at the match?
Old 21-11-21, 12:11 PM   #1325
Harv
Randy Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool View Post
I thought he was awful, yet everyone who watched the tele thought he was great?
I watched the tele and thought he was ok. It was a usual Ox performance. A few moments that make you think just maybe he might still have a bit to offer and then goes and runs into 3 players or kicks the ball straight out

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-21, 03:36 PM   #1326
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

He wasn’t MOTM or anything, but he’s up to a 7 or 7.5 out of ten when he was down at the 5’s and 6’s. Plenty of room for improvement but some very encouraging signs.

Obviously if people want to stick to their guns on player performance then that’s absolutely their own prerogative
Old 21-11-21, 03:43 PM   #1327
gratziani
Dalglish

Thought the Ox done well once he settled down, especially with his 20th different partners in the middle.
gratziani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-21, 03:50 PM   #1328
Pepe79
Shankly

He must have been good when we were out of possession, as was the rest of the midfield, because we weren't getting cut to ribbons by counter attacks as we've seen in a bunch of games recently.

That'll do when the front 3 and Trent are bringing the creativity.
Pepe79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-21, 10:09 PM   #1329
Corndog
Dalglish

He had a very good game yesterday. I don't think he will be at the club next season though because I don't think Klopp wants a CM who takes so much risk with his attacking play.

"There are two great teams on Merseyside; Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves." - Bill Shankly
Corndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-21, 10:42 PM   #1330
BootRoom
Dalglish

His play is like his health - unreliable.
BootRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-21, 08:20 AM   #1331
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

I thought he had a dire first 30 mins or so but got a lot better after that. He topped our pressing stats for the game - 19 individual presses. Still not sure I trust him to start regularly.
Old 22-11-21, 08:43 AM   #1332
kev776
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
He had a very good game yesterday. I don't think he will be at the club next season though because I don't think Klopp wants a CM who takes so much risk with his attacking play.
I suspect Milner will leave before Ox especially if he stays fit. Our midfield is full of older crocks (Hendo, Milly, Thiago) plus a few younger crocks (Keita, Jones and Elliot) so this crock may be kept on until we can buy fresh crocks.
kev776 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-21, 09:38 AM   #1333
The_weatherman
Smug

I think it's bit premature to talk of him leaving next season, we need English midfielders, he is getting more minutes and seems to be improving as well. If he can continue like this and stay relatively healthy I don't see why he can't stay longer.
Old 22-11-21, 10:35 AM   #1334
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev776 View Post
I suspect Milner will leave before Ox especially if he stays fit. Our midfield is full of older crocks (Hendo, Milly, Thiago) plus a few younger crocks (Keita, Jones and Elliot) so this crock may be kept on until we can buy fresh crocks.
Is Milner going to stay beyond this season? As a player at least? I can see us offering him some sort of coaching role, but I'm not sure whether he feels he is done with his playing career
Old 22-11-21, 10:38 AM   #1335
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I thought he had a dire first 30 mins or so but got a lot better after that. He topped our pressing stats for the game - 19 individual presses. Still not sure I trust him to start regularly.
The whole performance was pretty flat first 30 mins or so.

I agree, he is not quite at the level he was pre injury, but there are encouraging signs.
Old 22-11-21, 10:42 AM   #1336
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_weatherman View Post
I think it's bit premature to talk of him leaving next season, we need English midfielders, he is getting more minutes and seems to be improving as well. If he can continue like this and stay relatively healthy I don't see why he can't stay longer.
I think the homegrown factor is in play here to some extent at the moment our HG players are TAA, Gomez, Phillips, Milner, Henderson and Ox. The likes of Jones and Elliott will count when they reach the appropriate age as would some of the squad players if they remain involved (Williams, Davies etc) We aren't exactly flloded with HG players and given Milner and Phillips are unlikely to be around long term getting rid of Ox too would limit our options somewhat.
Old 22-11-21, 11:32 AM   #1337
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
This
Old 22-11-21, 05:06 PM   #1338
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
The whole performance was pretty flat first 30 mins or so.

I agree, he is not quite at the level he was pre injury, but there are encouraging signs.
As soon as the whistle goes we need klopp to run over and nut the other manager to get the crowd fired up, turn Anfield into a blood spattered amphitheatre

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Fabinho
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-21, 05:08 PM   #1339
RedAndWhite
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitman View Post
As soon as the whistle goes we need klopp to run over and nut the other manager to get the crowd fired up, turn Anfield into a blood spattered amphitheatre
Why wait until then! Get stuck in before the whistle as i dont think you can get carded for something before then!!!
RedAndWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-21, 06:14 PM   #1340
Mr Pink
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAndWhite View Post
Why wait until then! Get stuck in before the whistle as i dont think you can get carded for something before then!!!

What if we hired that klopp lookalike guy to attack the other manager on the sidelines before the game starts… the crowd think it’s klopp and get the atmosphere going… and then when it comes to a punishment, the real Jurgen can be like naaa wasn’t me
Old 23-11-21, 12:51 PM   #1341
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Employ a Klopp lookalike and a lookalike of their manager and have a staged fight. That way Klopp stays out of prison
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-21, 09:14 PM   #1342
Big-Red-Ed
Fagan

There's already a lookalike on the staff. Or used to be

YNWA
Big-Red-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-21, 12:11 PM   #1343
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Can anyone share this?

Old 25-11-21, 01:23 PM   #1344
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Fuck it. It is only £1 pcm for T'athletic now so went for it.

Written pre last night this is a pretty decent summary of where Ox is at. Klopp (as you would expect) nails it.

Quote:
Oxlade-Chamberlain gives reminder of his quality with all-action performance

By James Pearce Nov 22, 2021 63
It’s been three and a half years since Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain completed 90 minutes in a Premier League game.

You have to go back to the visit of Bournemouth, in April 2018, for the last time he stayed the distance for Liverpool.

That was 10 days before he suffered the devastating knee injury in the first leg of a Champions League semi-final against Roma that rocked his world.

Not only did he tear the ACL, he also ruptured the lateral collateral ligament, damaged the medial ligament and ripped his lateral hamstring tendon in an innocuous-looking sliding challenge on Aleksandar Kolarov. It couldn’t have been much worse. One of the abiding images of that Champions League final against Real Madrid in Kyiv was the sight of Oxlade-Chamberlain on crutches with tears streaming down his face.

“We will wait for Ox like the good wife when the husband is in prison,” vowed Jurgen Klopp.

The manager was true to his word but getting him back to the heights he was hitting before that cruel setback has proved challenging.

There were promising signs in the title-winning campaign of 2019-20, when he scored eight goals in all competitions, but another knee injury wrecked the first half of last season and on his return from that lay-off in the December he found his opportunities limited. He ended up playing just 244 minutes of Premier League football across 13 appearances in 2020-21, only two of them starts.

Picked for this season’s opening game against Norwich City, he was taken off after an hour that afternoon and slipped down the pecking order. It was almost three months before he started in the top flight again.

Oxlade-Chamberlain found himself in a vicious circle where he clearly needed regular game time to gain rhythm but his contributions when he came off the bench simply didn’t justify the run in the team he craved.

But Liverpool’s midfield department has been gradually depleted by injuries, leading to Oxlade-Chamberlain’s recall earlier this month in the central role he was looking for when he left Arsenal for Anfield in the summer of 2017.

There have been times since when Oxlade-Chamberlain has been guilty of trying too hard to impress, and his decision-making has let him down. A bubbly personality in the dressing room who is a popular figure among players and staff alike, he’s also his own biggest critic. Klopp spoke extensively to him about what he wanted to see before he delivered a much improved display at home to Atletico Madrid at the start of this month.

“The problem is when you haven’t played for a long time and you consider the situation, you think you have to convince people,” Klopp said in the aftermath of that 2-0 victory.

“He had his Oxlade-Chamberlain moments – good with the ball and all that kind of stuff. But we need Mr Oxlade-Chamberlain as well, the mature one, the calm one, the closing one. When he hasn’t played for a long time, he tries to over-achieve in a game.”

Klopp certainly got both sides of Oxlade-Chamberlain during Saturday’s ruthless demolition of Arsenal. It was a massive step forward for him.

Once again, he was taken off. There were 76 minutes on the clock when Jordan Henderson replaced him. In his 54 starts for Liverpool across all competitions, Oxlade-Chamberlain has been substituted 43 times.

However, on this occasion, he departed to a standing ovation.

He had played a starring role in Klopp’s men delivering the perfect response to the miserable defeat to West Ham United prior to the November international break and reigniting their title challenge.

The midfield functioned so much better as a unit. Fabinho getting back to his commanding best as the defensive shield certainly helped. So too did the swaggering presence of Thiago, himself making his first start since September.

But it was Oxlade-Chamberlain who really caught the eye. His work off the ball was as impressive as what he did on it.

He set the tone as Liverpool relentlessly pressed Arsenal high up the pitch, repeatedly forcing them to make mistakes. He created an early opportunity for Mohamed Salah after dispossessing Ben White and then did brilliantly to get back to deny Bukayo Saka inside his own box.

Positive and direct, Oxlade-Chamberlain repeatedly cut through Mikel Arteta’s side. After firing a shot narrowly wide in the second half, he created a golden chance for Diogo Jota but the striker’s touch let him down.

As well as regaining possession on four occasions, Oxlade-Chamberlain made three tackles (only Kostas Tsimikas made more for the home team), an interception, a block and a clearance. He completed 76 per cent of his passes.

“We’re here for one reason and it’s to compete for the title,” he beamed afterwards.

“We defend in a certain way, and that’s winning the ball back high; when we don’t do that it has a knock-on effect further back, which we’ve suffered with a bit in recent games. We defended better from the front (today).

“I was happy with certain aspects of my game but I should have scored, to be honest. There were areas I could have been better and would have liked to be better.“

The contest had been relatively flat for half an hour until Arteta angrily confronted Klopp on the touchline.

It was akin to poking a sleeping bear.

“The crowd picked up (following that incident) and we benefited from that energy. Maybe that was the turning point in terms of energy and atmosphere,” admitted Oxlade-Chamberlain.

In terms of attacking fluency, defensive shape and game management, the second half was as good as Liverpool have looked all season as Jota, Salah and substitute Takumi Minamino added to Sadio Mane’s first-half header.

That was all the more impressive considering that Klopp was without nine players through either injury or illness. Four teenagers were on the bench with academy graduate Tyler Morton, who has made rapid strides this season, handed his top-flight debut late on.

With Henderson now fit and Naby Keita, James Milner and Curtis Jones on the comeback trail, Oxlade-Chamberlain’s performance was timely.

At the age of 28, and with just 18 months to run on his contract, this is a pivotal period for him. He needs to build on it.

Klopp doesn’t need 90 minutes from him. He just needs these standards to be maintained.
Old 26-11-21, 12:11 AM   #1345
Fosterbloke
Run the Jewels

I think he can do it too - score a couple of goals along with this level of performance and he'll deserve to keep his place for sure.
Old 07-12-21, 11:02 PM   #1346
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Fantastic tonight. Just kept driving forward. I think he's getting back to a decent level now. I don't think he'll ever be the player he looked like becoming due to those damn knee injuries. But what we now is an option, a very good squad player, someone that can step in when required. I just hope he keeps getting minutes now everyone is coming back.
Old 07-12-21, 11:05 PM   #1347
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post
Fantastic tonight. Just kept driving forward. I think he's getting back to a decent level now. I don't think he'll ever be the player he looked like becoming due to those damn knee injuries. But what we now is an option, a very good squad player, someone that can step in when required. I just hope he keeps getting minutes now everyone is coming back.
Agree 100%. Showed some of this bursts past players and strength (like on Salahs goal), really encouraging. Looks really mobile and leads the press well.

A midfield of Ox, Morton and Taki and we were comfortable v Milan.

I feel like he’s got a few goals coming also.
Old 07-12-21, 11:07 PM   #1348
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Old 08-12-21, 12:31 AM   #1349
Fosterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Agree 100%. Showed some of this bursts past players and strength (like on Salahs goal), really encouraging. Looks really mobile and leads the press well.

A midfield of Ox, Morton and Taki and we were comfortable v Milan.

I feel like he’s got a few goals coming also.
He had a few good shots, some of which would have been on target and likely goals if they hadn't had a deflection in the box.
Old 08-12-21, 12:54 AM   #1350
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

He also absolutely rinsed Kessie in the build up to Salahs goal. Was good to see him shrugging off a player like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosterbloke View Post
He had a few good shots, some of which would have been on target and likely goals if they hadn't had a deflection in the box.
His shot is an absolute cannon.
Old 08-12-21, 01:19 AM   #1351
Fosterbloke
Run the Jewels

I hope he's not injured, I feel he is contributing well to the team and is starting to become a serious option in midfield.
Old 09-12-21, 11:39 AM   #1352
kev776
Paisley

Hendo - Fab - Thiago is a world class midfield. Ox - Naby - Jones is an excellent 2nd choice midfield. Miily - Morton - Elliott is not a bad 3rd choice either. No strength in depth, my arse.
Old 09-12-21, 11:59 AM   #1353
Assassin
Kloppite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev776 View Post
Hendo - Fab - Thiago is a world class midfield. Ox - Naby - Jones is an excellent 2nd choice midfield. Miily - Morton - Elliott is not a bad 3rd choice either. No strength in depth, my arse.
Your arse is always in tatters
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-21, 12:17 PM   #1354
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

He's done alright, always said with Ox I like the way he breaks the lines and tries shots outside the box. He probably his to sort his radar out on times and he's not technically great but we need as many bodies fit as possible and Klopp seems to be actively managing certain players which is fantastic if you have options to come in and do a job. Keita and Gomez got mins which was great to see in an easy going game.

We need Bobby back and we need Jones back, by some miracle if we can get most, if not all our lads by for the manic run it will benefit us no end. It seems now that maybe covid might be that only inconvenience for having players out.
Old 10-12-21, 11:20 AM   #1355
kev776
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
Your arse is always in tatters
You been looking?
Old 10-12-21, 11:31 AM   #1356
dizzycat
Dalglish

I'd give him a new contract and see how next season goes after (hopefully) an injury free run in the squad.
Old 11-12-21, 07:22 PM   #1357
S-RED
Shankly

False 9 does not work for him does it? love him as a player, but not a 9 (false)
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-21, 09:39 PM   #1358
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-RED View Post
False 9 does not work for him does it? love him as a player, but not a 9 (false)
Should be nowhere near the front 3. I guess divock being injured left the choices being limited.
Old 11-12-21, 10:16 PM   #1359
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Should be nowhere near the front 3. I guess divock being injured left the choices being limited.
I didn't like him playing there in preseason, I had hoped we were done with that experiment then. Obviously Jota wasn't fit enough to play more than half an hour or so or else he would have started. Not sure why Minamino didn't play there instead of him, If Minamino can't get games when Firmino, Jota and Origi aren't fit to start you wonder where he'll get games.
Old 11-12-21, 10:40 PM   #1360
Assassin
Kloppite

Quote:
He was nowhere nest the front 3, he played too deep
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC