It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 10-01-22, 01:12 PM   #1161
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by danperkins View Post
Much like Keita we just cannot rely on Thiago to be available. So frustrating but that's the way it is and we need to be looking a more permanent options. I really hope we can do something in this window as imo we need another 2 bodies in that midfield.. creative and defensive.

Get the van warmed up and I will meet you at Dun Laoghaire. Quick hop across to Holyhead then down south to nip across to the mainland via the tunnel.

We will scamper across France and Germany and the first two out of Tchouameni, Zakaria and Nkunku that we can find goes into the van and comes back with us. Might mosey into Italy for some pizza and Barella whilst we are at it though might be rude to go to Italy and not bring Martinez back as well.
Old 10-01-22, 02:11 PM   #1162
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious View Post
Get the van warmed up and I will meet you at Dun Laoghaire. Quick hop across to Holyhead then down south to nip across to the mainland via the tunnel.

We will scamper across France and Germany and the first two out of Tchouameni, Zakaria and Nkunku that we can find goes into the van and comes back with us. Might mosey into Italy for some pizza and Barella whilst we are at it though might be rude to go to Italy and not bring Martinez back as well.
Ffp is hamstringing us, but maybe fsg need to consider your diy pressganging option.
A few rolls of gaffer tape and some chloroform, a tank of fuel, some petty cash for maccys en route, go for it lads

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Fabinho
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-22, 05:08 PM   #1163
kev776
Paisley

Quote:
I hope he is more than just on our radar and "being monitored"

Guy looks an amazing talent, only just turned 21 this month and already looks first team ready for a club better than Monaco. Plays equally well in a CM role, a CDM role or as a box to box midfielder.

Already loks like he is cementing a starting berth for the French national team too.
Our best midfielder plays DMF, why would we strengthen possibly the only position we are strong in. We need x2 attacking MFs and another number 9. Milly, Ox and Mina or Origi moved on.

I would also bring in a proper RB (Mazraoui) to challenge TAA like we have at LB, either of those could be first choice, not so with Williams.

Last edited by kev776; 10-01-22 at 05:14 PM.
kev776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-22, 06:38 PM   #1164
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev776 View Post
Our best midfielder plays DMF, why would we strengthen possibly the only position we are strong in. We need x2 attacking MFs and another number 9. Milly, Ox and Mina or Origi moved on.

I would also bring in a proper RB (Mazraoui) to challenge TAA like we have at LB, either of those could be first choice, not so with Williams.

Because Tchouameni is not an out and out DM and he is as good as a box to box midfielder as he is a DM plus he can play in a midfield two or a midfield three without a drop off in his quality.

He is probably better with a good dm beside or behind him and we sort of have one of those in Fabinho.

Agree on Mazraoui. He was in the list of last six months left on their contract players I was on about a week or two ago on here. At the very least he would be a very solid back up to TAA, and at best he would be competition if TAA's form dropped a little.
Old 10-01-22, 07:03 PM   #1165
kev776
Paisley

Quote:
Because Tchouameni is not an out and out DM and he is as good as a box to box midfielder as he is a DM plus he can play in a midfield two or a midfield three without a drop off in his quality.

He is probably better with a good dm beside or behind him and we sort of have one of those in Fabinho.

Agree on Mazraoui. He was in the list of last six months left on their contract players I was on about a week or two ago on here. At the very least he would be a very solid back up to TAA, and at best he would be competition if TAA's form dropped a little.
If he is as good as Robbo, TAA could move into midfield
Old 10-01-22, 07:03 PM   #1166
kev776
Paisley

Quote:

Old 10-01-22, 07:08 PM   #1167
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
I really don’t get this desire to move Trent to midfield. He is the best RB in the world and we have designed a system to get the very best from him……. leave him at RB where he will only get better, buy better midfielders and hope to find a back up to Trent who can do 70% of what Trent does…… anyone who can do the same as Trent is called………. There is no one
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-22, 10:55 PM   #1168
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
TAA is fine where he is imho. When you have one of the best RBs in the world, you play him at RB. Mazraoui would be a very capable back up though.

Very few players could give an on form TAA a run for his money at RB. Hakimi (ironically the guy that keeps the aforementioned Mazraoui out of the national team) at PSG would be the one guy that might come close to doing so when on form himself (and he would be more of an all rounder position wise than TAA)
Old 10-01-22, 11:01 PM   #1169
kev776
Paisley

Have them both holding out right hand side, long term Hendo replacement
Old 11-01-22, 05:58 AM   #1170
little dave hedgehog
Token Yank

hasn't taa himself said he's always seen himself as a midfielder? could be the source of that thinking....
Old 11-01-22, 08:57 AM   #1171
kev776
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by little dave hedgehog View Post
hasn't taa himself said he's always seen himself as a midfielder? could be the source of that thinking....
Both TAA and Klopp have said they see his long term future in midfield but what do they know.
Old 11-01-22, 09:13 AM   #1172
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Both TAA and Klopp have said they see his long term future in midfield but what do they know.

Ok move TAA to a midfield role, whilst hoping he does adapt to it to the same level that he is at now at RB, so who can we realistically get that would give us at least 80% of what he currently does at RB?

If we move him to midfield we straight away take a huge part away from what makes our team work with how we use the RB slot, plus we plonk a player into a role that he might excel at, so we are potentially weakening two parts of the team by moving one player.

Think at present it is a lot easier to find midfielders of a high standard to replace some of those we currently have in our squad for the centre than it would be to find a good enough replacement for TAA at RB.

If TAA leaves the RB slot in the future I suspect it might be for a RM role rather than a CM one and I suspect it will not happen until after Klopp has left.
Old 11-01-22, 09:31 AM   #1173
rudedog
Pig hater

Quote:
Here is Klopps take on the subject (from a few months back):

"Why make the best right-back in the world a midfielder?

I don’t understand that really. As if the right-back position is not that as important as the others.

If people say that, I struggle to really understand how you could think that.

Some people think that because he plays 10 yards further up on the pitch he would be more influential.

Being more influential than Trent Alexander-Arnold in the last how long he has played for me is really tricky and you need to have a proper look to find somebody"

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2021/0...-position/amp/

Last edited by rudedog; 11-01-22 at 09:34 AM.
rudedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-22, 09:56 AM   #1174
RichC
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudedog View Post
Here is Klopps take on the subject (from a few months back):

"Why make the best right-back in the world a midfielder?

I don’t understand that really. As if the right-back position is not that as important as the others.

If people say that, I struggle to really understand how you could think that.

Some people think that because he plays 10 yards further up on the pitch he would be more influential.

Being more influential than Trent Alexander-Arnold in the last how long he has played for me is really tricky and you need to have a proper look to find somebody"

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2021/0...-position/amp/

He's said this a few times as well, the obsession with moving Trent into midfield is crazy imo. The stats alone from him playing at RB should give the reasons as to why he should stay where he is.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-22, 10:59 AM   #1175
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post

He's said this a few times as well, the obsession with moving Trent into midfield is crazy imo. The stats alone from him playing at RB should give the reasons as to why he should stay where he is.

The only benefit of him playing more centrally will be his ability to score a couple more a season from long range. We'd without doubt become less effective down the right, so it's a no from me Jeff.
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1

Curtis Julian Jones Fanclub #1

Last edited by Rich; 11-01-22 at 11:03 AM.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-22, 11:54 AM   #1176
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

He had a mate when England played him there.

One of the reasons we’ve been sucked up is that the players in each position have to learn their positions and there is a lot of discipline within that. So Trent would have to also do this whilst we had to find someone to replicate his numbers from right back.

So it’s a no from me also Jeff
Old 11-01-22, 12:01 PM   #1177
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:

LFC are kinda stingy so it might have to be an option.
Old 11-01-22, 12:08 PM   #1178
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by danperkins View Post
LFC are kinda stingy so it might have to be an option.

You're buying the brekkie rolls too by the way. No egg in mine, some extra sausages and hash browns though.

Last edited by Jaco_Pastorious; 11-01-22 at 12:18 PM.
Jaco_Pastorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-22, 12:10 PM   #1179
danperkins

Quote:
You're buying the brekkie rolls too by the way. No egg in mine, some extra suasages and hash browns though.
Old 11-01-22, 08:57 PM   #1180
red g
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post

One of the reasons we’ve been sucked up is that the players in each position have to learn their positions and there is a lot of discipline within that. So Trent would have to also do this whilst we had to find someone to replicate his numbers from right back.

So it’s a no from me also Jeff
Yes he had Henderson next to him, He was still crap though

Weak willed, Wank or do they have a masterplan?

Think we have the answer..Klopp
red g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-22, 09:30 AM   #1181
Tribute
Shankly

Is Thiago still broken then?
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-22, 01:21 PM   #1182
Paul12
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
And now he is friendless?
Paul12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-22, 01:12 PM   #1183
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

To think there was some chat that he made us worse. We miss him an insane amount, he's so much better than every one of our midfielders bar Fabinho.

Old 14-01-22, 01:18 PM   #1184
Tribute
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
To think there was some chat that he made us worse. We miss him an insane amount, he's so much better than every one of our midfielders bar Fabinho.

https://twitter.com/SamMcGuire90/sta...61386204934148
...absolutely correct. All that bolocks about slowing the play down, he would have carved Arsenal up with some quick, smart passes through the midfield last night. He might lose possession a few times but no more than any other midfieder does. Both Hendo and Milner were both guilty of being caught in possession multiple times...
Old 14-01-22, 01:25 PM   #1185
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute View Post
...absolutely correct. All that bolocks about slowing the play down, he would have carved Arsenal up with some quick, smart passes through the midfield last night. He might lose possession a few times but no more than any other midfieder does. Both Hendo and Milner were both guilty of being caught in possession multiple times...

Probably will not be long before some of the "experts" like Carragher, Neville and Hamann who many times said Thiago slowed us down too much, that he was not capable of playing in the PL and a whole host of other faults they saw in him change to saying that they always said he was an essential part of the team and him being out is why we do not control midifeld more often now.
Old 14-01-22, 01:28 PM   #1186
S-RED
Shankly

when's he back, any updates?
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-22, 01:40 PM   #1187
Exiled_red
Paisley

He's undoubtedly a good player who starts when he's fit, the problem is his limited availability is frustrating
Old 14-01-22, 01:52 PM   #1188
Tribute
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
He's undoubtedly a good player who starts when he's fit, the problem is his limited availability is frustrating
Bang on. Both Thiago and Naby when they're on song are a joy to watch... the problem is injuries and fitness for both of them. Far too often they're not available and that really scuppers our midfield dynamic and ability to break teams down in a low block.
Thought Curtis and Neco did ok when they came on yesterday - tried something different and were getting some results, but the miss when Thiago's not in there with Fab is enormous.
Old 14-01-22, 02:52 PM   #1189
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:

None of us have a clue.
Old 14-01-22, 04:00 PM   #1190
frank the tank
Shankly

we ended up getting 3rd last season because we had Thiago and Fab available for the majority of the run-in.....

Plus due to the fact that we had Ali Becker knocking in some sweet headed injury time winner against WBA too..... it actually might have been an idea to bring on Queeeve for Bobby last night and put Ali up top!!!
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-22, 04:30 PM   #1191
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
we ended up getting 3rd last season because we had Thiago and Fab available for the majority of the run-in.....

Plus due to the fact that we had Ali Becker knocking in some sweet headed injury time winner against WBA too..... it actually might have been an idea to bring on Queeeve for Bobby last night and put Ali up top!!!
Are you Stuart Pearce?

Old 14-01-22, 06:40 PM   #1192
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:

Old 14-01-22, 09:16 PM   #1193
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

How we won the league without Thiago I don’t know.
Old 14-01-22, 09:22 PM   #1194
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Hendo was still good for a start.
Old 14-01-22, 10:04 PM   #1195
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
I think these stats highlight the dilemma we have with him. They show the good but read between the lines and you see the bad. Seemingly we have a perfect record when he plays, but we have played 31 games in all competitions this season (26 in PL & CL), so he has started about a third of them. He's a great player and probably one of the first names on the team sheet when he's fit, but if he misses more games than he starts that's a problem. If he could play nearly every week we'd be right up there with City, the problem is he doesn't, How do you handle this situation? Hope that you can get enough games out of him that you stay in contention and accept that there is a drop down in quality when he doesn't play?
Old 14-01-22, 11:16 PM   #1196
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
How we won the league without Thiago I don’t know.
We won the league by being boring and controlling games with multiple ways to score. We’ve gone back to the basketball type approach of scoring for fun but giving up too much at the back..... We also had consistency in selection all over the pitch - now we can never get a settled midfield to control games the same way.

The amount of games where we broke the deadlock from a set piece meant teams came at us which suited us. Now we have “another shit corner”...... Robbo and Trent barely got the ball off the ground last night. And some of players have just aged and got off the boil.

I hate comparing to City but they give up so few chances and their defence is rock solid against most sides. They control games and can rotate at will and not drop quality

Thiago is absolutely brilliant and we are so much better with him in the team.... we might win a champions league if he stays fit
Old 14-01-22, 11:51 PM   #1197
baitman
Daddy day care

Have you noticed that when a player is unavailable and we play shit then the stock of the said player seems to escalate dramatically

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Fabinho
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-22, 12:08 AM   #1198
fabinho
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitman View Post
Have you noticed that when a player is unavailable and we play shit then the stock of the said player seems to escalate dramatically

So true. He's a decent player when fit, but let's be honest, he's hardly hit the heights we were all expecting. Rival fan forums were saying how it was game over when he signed for us, now when he's mentioned, it's more like he's okay but not the game changer they were expecting.

Still better having him and fab in the middle over everything else though.
Old 15-01-22, 07:55 AM   #1199
danperkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitman View Post
this is actually spot on

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC