It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 21-05-18, 10:16 AM   #4401
Yozza
Shankly

There was an interesting discussion on Sunday Supplement a few weeks ago after we'd knocked City out of the CL

When Pep was sent off they were saying there was basically no one from the coaching dept who stepped up & took his place in the technical area - they were very critical of Arteta for not doing so & were questioning whether he had a big enough personality for the Arsenal job....

It would be a huge gamble IMHO as he's very inexperienced; it's great to be able to sit back & see other teams in disarray

Bob's Miserable Bastards Club Member #2
Yozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-18, 12:47 PM   #4402
dww
humourless curmudgeon

Interesting stuff here both about how Arteta isn't the number two at Man City (which rather alters the interpretation of his touchline lack of influence in the CL game) and how he may be going as a number 2 to Emery at Arsenal:
Old 21-05-18, 03:39 PM   #4403
Phoenix07
The Normal One

I remember wanting Emery for us a while back. He's certainly got the potential to be a world class coach, and he reminds me of Rafa Benitez during his Valencia/Liverpool days in terms of style.

It would be a very good appointment by Arsenal.
Phoenix07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-18, 03:51 PM   #4404
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

“The dream coaching team”! Christ, he’s easily pleased.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-18, 04:01 PM   #4405
Phoenix07
The Normal One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
ďThe dream coaching teamĒ! Christ, heís easily pleased.

I think the dream coaching team for Arsenal fans would've been Allegri and Vieria. The name 'Arteta' wouldn't even have come into their thinking.
Phoenix07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-18, 04:34 PM   #4406
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix07 View Post
I remember wanting Emery for us a while back. He's certainly got the potential to be a world class coach, and he reminds me of Rafa Benitez during his Valencia/Liverpool days in terms of style.

It would be a very good appointment by Arsenal.
Couldn't think of a more polar opposite to Rafa than Unai. His teams are all over the place. When he was young he was dubbed the next Wenger and gave a presser at Almeria saying that he preferred to draw 4-4 than 0-0. I remember posting years ago that I wouldn't mind taking a punt on him or Valverde after Rafa left, I'm very pleased that we didn't. He's head and shoulders above Woy mind.

He did do well in the Europa League consistently with Sevilla but he's never impressed in the league where he had a fantastic squad at both Valencia and Sevilla, particularly the former. Even last season Monaco won Ligue 1, which is a bit of a disgrace for me given what's been thrown into PSG. Just had a look and his league finishes at Sevilla were 9th (only half a season), 5th, 5th and 7th. Pretty poor considering the quality of squad. His best league form was to take Valencia to 3rd in 3 consecutive seasons, but they had a great squad and he was uncompetitive in big games, I know their fans didn't care for him.

At both Valencia and Sevilla he had a bit of a reputation for playing cowardly football which ended up losing points. So starting a game with electric intensity going up a goal or two, then letting his team sit back and ending up conceding with the game resulting in a draw/loss. He clearly hasn't learnt a thing if you look at the 6-1 loss to Barca last season. I was semi expecting it.

Also, Moreno did him a huge favour by donating one of those Europa League wins to him. Pretty fortunate with the first one too, close game on pens and in the semi against Valencia I remember Sevilla were down and Mbia scored the away goal in the 5th minute of stoppage time when only 4 minutes were issued. Wouldn't be at all concerned if Arsneal signed him. Above average manager, huge reputation, nothing special.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-18, 08:04 PM   #4407
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

From the Professor to the Childcatcher
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-18, 08:08 PM   #4408
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Looks like itís Emery. No mention of Arteta who must have bombed the interview.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44203679
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-18, 08:11 PM   #4409
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Arteta has 'withdrawn from the process'
Old 21-05-18, 08:14 PM   #4410
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbs View Post
Arteta has 'withdrawn from the process'

Iíve done that after a few interviews myself.
Old 21-05-18, 08:27 PM   #4411
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post

Iíve done that after a few interviews myself.

'didny want the job anyway'
Old 21-05-18, 08:33 PM   #4412
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

Sack Wenger to appoint someone who underachieves in the league but does well in Cups. Okayyyy.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-18, 10:14 PM   #4413
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
At both Valencia and Sevilla he had a bit of a reputation for playing cowardly football which ended up losing points. So starting a game with electric intensity going up a goal or two, then letting his team sit back and ending up conceding with the game resulting in a draw/loss.
That sounds familiar!
Old 22-05-18, 08:49 AM   #4414
Darkon
Football Expert

I think Emery is a very good appointment for them. He get's a "free" season to build something, he continues a style of interesting to watch football and he's got in a good place between experience and a young manager. I like him as a manager, and if given time could end up doing well there.
Darkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-18, 12:45 PM   #4415
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Old 22-05-18, 12:49 PM   #4416
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Ian Wright seems pretty psyched.

Quote:
Opinion

Former Arsenal striker Ian Wright on BBC Radio 5 live

What's going on at Arsenal? Where's Unai Emery come from? I can't get it out of my head.

You'd have thought that by now they would have known exactly what's going on.

Emery has had loads of money to spend at Paris St-Germain and now has to come to Arsenal with £50m with a bunch of players who have been playing in second gear.

His coaching ability will have to get going instantly and he will have to find some gems instantly.

I wouldn't be disgruntled as an Arsenal fan about Unai Emery, I think the fact he's come out of left field when everyone's thinking 'it's going to be Arteta', that's the only problem. If we do see a difference in intensity, drive and consistency everybody will get onside and that's all Arsenal fans want to see.

Dom's little toe was unavailable for analysis or opinion despite having his analytical skills massively talked up by the large bag of bones attached to it.

Last edited by Buzzo; 22-05-18 at 01:03 PM.
Old 22-05-18, 12:59 PM   #4417
dom9
Ant Pisser

I wish the BBC would stop using the word Analysis when it comes to these articles, and just call them Opinion, like newspapers do.

I have more analysis in my little toe than all of these pundits put together.
Old 22-05-18, 01:01 PM   #4418
dww
humourless curmudgeon

Quote:
Couldn't think of a more polar opposite to Rafa than Unai. His teams are all over the place. When he was young he was dubbed the next Wenger and gave a presser at Almeria saying that he preferred to draw 4-4 than 0-0. I remember posting years ago that I wouldn't mind taking a punt on him or Valverde after Rafa left, I'm very pleased that we didn't. He's head and shoulders above Woy mind.

He did do well in the Europa League consistently with Sevilla but he's never impressed in the league where he had a fantastic squad at both Valencia and Sevilla, particularly the former. Even last season Monaco won Ligue 1, which is a bit of a disgrace for me given what's been thrown into PSG. Just had a look and his league finishes at Sevilla were 9th (only half a season), 5th, 5th and 7th. Pretty poor considering the quality of squad. His best league form was to take Valencia to 3rd in 3 consecutive seasons, but they had a great squad and he was uncompetitive in big games, I know their fans didn't care for him.

At both Valencia and Sevilla he had a bit of a reputation for playing cowardly football which ended up losing points. So starting a game with electric intensity going up a goal or two, then letting his team sit back and ending up conceding with the game resulting in a draw/loss. He clearly hasn't learnt a thing if you look at the 6-1 loss to Barca last season. I was semi expecting it.

Also, Moreno did him a huge favour by donating one of those Europa League wins to him. Pretty fortunate with the first one too, close game on pens and in the semi against Valencia I remember Sevilla were down and Mbia scored the away goal in the 5th minute of stoppage time when only 4 minutes were issued. Wouldn't be at all concerned if Arsneal signed him. Above average manager, huge reputation, nothing special.
He did finish 3rd a few times with Valencia didn't he? Which given Barcelona and Real are there is a decent achievement. Most people describe him as detail oriented and with good attention to defence. That doesn't seem like a terrible idea in a coach going to Arsenal.

Apparently Monchi rates him as the best manager he has ever worked with. Which may be a clue to the type of things they want given their new structure.

I think it would be hard for any manager to break Arsenal into the top four next season unless multiple teams regress.

Last edited by dww; 22-05-18 at 05:10 PM.
dww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-18, 01:01 PM   #4419
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post
I wish the BBC would stop using the word Analysis when it comes to these articles, and just call them Opinion, like newspapers do.

That isn't really where I was expecting this decision to go

However I have amended

Last edited by Buzzo; 22-05-18 at 01:04 PM.
Old 22-05-18, 01:06 PM   #4420
Darkon
Football Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post

So what's your opinion?
Darkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-18, 01:14 PM   #4421
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkon View Post
So what's your opinion?
That pundits aren't analysts.

I'll tell you what would be interesting though. Getting those backroom guys who do the research and help to prep the teams to write some articles or do podcasts.

That could provide some actually interest content rather than having these rent a quote Up And At Them people hogging the bandwidth.
Old 22-05-18, 02:03 PM   #4422
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dww View Post
Hi did finish 3rd a few times with Valencia didn't he? Which given Barcelona and Real are there is a decent achievement. Most people describe him as detail oriented and with good attention to defence. That doesn't seem like a terrible idea in a coach going to Arsenal.

Apparently Monchi rates him as the best manager he has ever worked with. Which may be a clue to the type of things they want given their new structure.

I think it would be hard for any manager to break Arsenal into the top four next season unless multiple teams regress.
Quote:
His best league form was to take Valencia to 3rd in 3 consecutive seasons, but they had a great squad and he was uncompetitive in big games, I know their fans didn't care for him.
IIRC he was quite effective at beating the smaller teams but I think they lost every game against Barca and Madrid and the majority against Villarreal and Sevilla who were the other good teams at the time. A lot of Spanish teams were rebuilding at the time and as I say, I know that Valencia fans wanted him gone. He released a coaching tactics book and they thought he was delusional.

The title roughly translates to 'winning mentality' which was ironic due to their terrible mentality in big games. And Ricardo Costa writing a eulogy is just embarrassing.

I'm not saying he's an awful manager, because he's clearly not. He's just done nothing to prove he's good enough. He's consistently had great opportunities and excluding the Europa League hasn't done anything that you wouldn't expect from any other manager.

Obviously Monchi knows a lot more about football and managers than me but I just don't see it. I'd rate Juande Ramos, Joaquin Caparros and most definitely Marcelino better than Emery. It didn't work out for Marcelino at Zaragoza and Sevilla and his reputation took a hit, but his revival of Villarreal and what he's doing now at Valencia is fantastic.
Old 22-05-18, 04:12 PM   #4423
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Any coach that releases a book called 'the winning mentality' whilst they are still actively coaching is on a hiding to nothing.
Old 22-05-18, 05:13 PM   #4424
dww
humourless curmudgeon

Quote:
IIRC he was quite effective at beating the smaller teams but I think they lost every game against Barca and Madrid and the majority against Villarreal and Sevilla who were the other good teams at the time. A lot of Spanish teams were rebuilding at the time and as I say, I know that Valencia fans wanted him gone. He released a coaching tactics book and they thought he was delusional.

The title roughly translates to 'winning mentality' which was ironic due to their terrible mentality in big games. And Ricardo Costa writing a eulogy is just embarrassing.

I'm not saying he's an awful manager, because he's clearly not. He's just done nothing to prove he's good enough. He's consistently had great opportunities and excluding the Europa League hasn't done anything that you wouldn't expect from any other manager.

Obviously Monchi knows a lot more about football and managers than me but I just don't see it. I'd rate Juande Ramos, Joaquin Caparros and most definitely Marcelino better than Emery. It didn't work out for Marcelino at Zaragoza and Sevilla and his reputation took a hit, but his revival of Villarreal and what he's doing now at Valencia is fantastic.
Why would you exclude the Europa league though?
Old 22-05-18, 06:55 PM   #4425
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Why would you exclude the Europa league though?
Because it's counter productive to my argument.

Just joking, just thinking of when I analyse/assess his performance otherwise in relation to his standing in the game. Obviously though his standing in the game is what it is partially due to that success and rightly so.

----

Hopefully Wenger will recognise him now if he's doing some media work at the world cup.

Arsene Wenger thought Croatiaís doctor was Unai Emery, asks about PSG
Old 22-05-18, 07:31 PM   #4426
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Im surprised Mourinho hasn't released a book called The Whinging Mentality
Old 23-05-18, 09:23 AM   #4427
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-18, 09:26 AM   #4428
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 23-05-18, 09:27 AM   #4429
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

It really is him!
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-18, 09:27 AM   #4430
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

"YOU'RE ON BORROWED TIME SUNSHINE!"
Old 23-05-18, 09:32 AM   #4431
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

I watched it again yesterday and was in tears. It's fucking genius.

"SHUT IT!"

Old 23-05-18, 09:35 AM   #4432
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 23-05-18, 09:43 AM   #4433
Harv
Randy Marsh

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-18, 11:03 AM   #4434
Paddy
Out Patient

https://twitter.com/eplstuff/status/...132675072?s=21

Kolasinac with his shorts the wrong way round.

Letís not even start on the jersey...
Old 23-05-18, 11:04 AM   #4435
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

That is a bad kit.
Old 23-05-18, 04:55 PM   #4436
The_weatherman
Smug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
https://twitter.com/eplstuff/status/...132675072?s=21

Kolasinac with his shorts the wrong way round.

Letís not even start on the jersey...
How did no-one notice that Plonker.
Old 24-05-18, 11:00 AM   #4437
rodo
Shankly

Old 24-05-18, 01:56 PM   #4438
labourRed
Shankly

That's brilliant.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-18, 09:17 AM   #4439
Trippendicular
Fagan

Quote:
He did finish 3rd a few times with Valencia didn't he? Which given Barcelona and Real are there is a decent achievement. Most people describe him as detail oriented and with good attention to defence. That doesn't seem like a terrible idea in a coach going to Arsenal.

Itís like Chris said above though, Arsenal fans arenít going to take kindly to a manager who underachieves in the league but excels in the cups. But fuck those entitled cunts, I canít wait for the meltdown when Emery doesnít somehow win the league in his first season.
Trippendicular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-18, 10:03 AM   #4440
EwarWoo
Paisley

Even better if they're first at christmas and their fans all start spunking buckets as per before the final meltdown. The one thing that was missing this season, they fucked it up too quick.
EwarWoo is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > General Football