It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 11-04-13, 08:19 PM   #121
RichC
Meh

I'd be happy to see the refuelling back, it adds an extra strategy to the race
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 11-04-13, 08:20 PM   #122
Aj34
Benitez

Will we ever see the races like we did in the senna, Prost, mansell era. The very reason I got hooked. I even had a soft spot for Schumacher what a winner
Aj34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 08:21 PM   #123
Aj34
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcasemore View Post
I'd be happy to see the refuelling back, it adds an extra strategy to the race
Exactly mate
Old 12-04-13, 11:50 AM   #124
Daniel 7
Heretic

So 7 different winners at the start of last season wasn't spicy enough?

I don't hold with all that - the racing over the last few years has been phenomenal, save for the 2011 season where Vettel dominated. 07,08,09,10 and 12 went to the wire and had some unbelievable final races - almost akin to the Liverpool v Arsenal season climax where we missed out. Think Raikkonen pipping warring McLarens, the last corner win for Hamilton and Massa's dad celebrating then being told, Button's amazing drive in Brazil to clinch the title, Webber v Vettel in 2010 at the back end of the season, 5 drivers going for that title and Alonso pulling a bad Ferrari to compete until the last race - showing a peak, consistent talent that is the best since Senna.

Saying it needs "spicing up" is pure lazy cliche, trotted out by people who don't watch the races.

Nice to see another F1 poster though.
Daniel 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-13, 01:53 PM   #125
Aj34
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel 7 View Post
So 7 different winners at the start of last season wasn't spicy enough?

I don't hold with all that - the racing over the last few years has been phenomenal, save for the 2011 season where Vettel dominated. 07,08,09,10 and 12 went to the wire and had some unbelievable final races - almost akin to the Liverpool v Arsenal season climax where we missed out. Think Raikkonen pipping warring McLarens, the last corner win for Hamilton and Massa's dad celebrating then being told, Button's amazing drive in Brazil to clinch the title, Webber v Vettel in 2010 at the back end of the season, 5 drivers going for that title and Alonso pulling a bad Ferrari to compete until the last race - showing a peak, consistent talent that is the best since Senna.

Saying it needs "spicing up" is pure lazy cliche, trotted out by people who don't watch the races.

Nice to see another F1 poster though.
To be fair I've been watching f1 since the mid eighties not saying there haven't been some great races but but quite often there is a procession type race. Maybe that's me being a bit nostalgic
Old 13-04-13, 01:20 PM   #126
Daniel 7
Heretic

So have I. This is the best grid there's been the whole time I have been watching. There is a massive strength in depth with any number of drivers capable of dominating a weekend. The best of them can do it more consistently - Alonso, Hamilton Raikkonen and Vettel, with Button, Webber, Massa and Rosberg behind them.

Anyway, good qualifier - its going to be interesting to see how the strategy pans out for those starting on the harder compound, because the top 7 will all be pitting early. It'll be great to see Webber fighting through the grid as well, which I'm sure he will.
Old 13-04-13, 01:21 PM   #127
RichC
Meh

Of all the people that to happen to today it had to be Webber, poor bloke!
Old 13-04-13, 01:23 PM   #128
Daniel 7
Heretic

Germanic conspiracy?!?!?!?
Old 13-04-13, 01:31 PM   #129
RichC
Meh

nah just very bad luck I think, always seems to be him in that team though
Old 13-04-13, 01:38 PM   #130
Aj34
Benitez

Lewis starting well in his new team. Great to see
Old 13-04-13, 10:44 PM   #131
Daniel 7
Heretic

Mercedes started well last season, so it remains to be seen if they can keep it up.

Yeah, shame on Webber - I was really hoping he would be up there battling. He's in a good car though, so it'll be great to watch his progress.
Old 14-04-13, 09:43 AM   #132
Aj34
Benitez

Great last few laps.
Old 14-04-13, 11:05 AM   #133
RichC
Meh

Old 14-04-13, 11:12 AM   #134
RichC
Meh

Old 14-04-13, 12:16 PM   #135
G
Paisley

Quote:
hopefully,well for Seb at least
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-13, 05:08 PM   #136
Daniel 7
Heretic

Did anyone watch the F1 forum after the race? Villeneuve was on it, saying how he hates F1 nowadays and that its boring. The cars are all just minding their own business and the drivers are too preoccupied with managing their tyres - he's been saying the same thing for years... He said it was still the best motor sport though

Really enjoyed today's race, so much happening all the way through the field. I think we're seeing Hamilton pulling the Mercedes higher up the grid than they actually deserve to be. Pity the Webber fightback didn't work out - he was looking really handy at one point. How much bad luck is he going to have?

Alonso was magnificent - those passing moves he pulled off before the DRS zone in order to get the DRS enabled were imperious. What a driver he is. I only hope he gets his 3rd title this year.

The Vettel charge at the end of the race was pretty exciting too - the last corners where the Caterham got involved had me on the edge of my bed.

No way was this race a procession!

And I thought Suzie Perry was about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 times better than that Lazenby fucker on Sky.
Old 14-04-13, 05:13 PM   #137
RichC
Meh

Was a really good race wasn't it, Hamilton is certainly helping the Merc this season, it's a way behind Lotus, Ferrari and Red Bull for me at the moment but he's a damn fine driver.

Hats off to Alonso, superb drive again today and never really looked like he wasn't going to win it once he went past Hamilton on lap 3.

Webber has had terrible luck the past two GPs for very different reasons, I fancy he'll be leaving RB at the end of the season and if he does we might very well get warts and all from him about his time there.
Old 14-04-13, 05:18 PM   #138
Aj34
Benitez

Even though I overslept and missed the first 20 laps it was a good race. I think if vettell had come in a lap earlier he would have got Hamilton
Old 14-04-13, 05:18 PM   #139
Daniel 7
Heretic

I'm sure I read somewhere he's off to do endurance racing, or there's a strong link for it.

It'll be interesting to see who will be getting linked with the RB 2nd drive and how they go about recruiting for it. I'd imagine that it will be a proper second driver.

The RB situation reminds me of Mansell and Piquet in the mid 80's, where they were clearly favouring Piquet.
Old 14-04-13, 05:22 PM   #140
RichC
Meh

I think the second seat will be someone like Ricciardo or Jean Eric Verne or one of the others in the RB driver programme
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 14-04-13, 05:23 PM   #141
RichC
Meh

There's a young lad Di Costa on their programme that's supposed to be quite handy.
Old 14-04-13, 05:23 PM   #142
G
Paisley

If they went that way then Riccardo did himself plenty of good with his claim to that seat this weekend.

However Horner was saying it's been a very good partnership for Red bull which it has to be fair, 3 constructors tell it's story. If they went clear number two it might harm them on that score.
Old 14-04-13, 05:27 PM   #143
RichC
Meh

I just cant see Webber wanting to stay IF he can snare a drive at a competitive team and that would be the problem for him as he knows the options would be very limited or he goes down the field to a car he's not got a chance of wins/podiums in.

I mean from the top teams it'll be Ferrari - no, Mercs - doubtful, McLaren - No, the only possible option I guess is Lotus who might be an option for him but even then you'd think they'd go for a younger driver if Grosjean doesn't keep his seat.
Old 14-04-13, 05:30 PM   #144
Daniel 7
Heretic

Ricciardo had a decent race, don't know how consistent he is though.

Talking of consistency - how infuriating must it be to be a Massa supporter? He has started each of the last 5 or 6 races fantastically well before just kind of drifting backwards, be it through lack of concentration, poor racing decisions or just seeming to lose focus. Such a massive difference between him and Alonso.
Old 14-04-13, 05:33 PM   #145
Daniel 7
Heretic

Quote:
I just cant see Webber wanting to stay IF he can snare a drive at a competitive team and that would be the problem for him as he knows the options would be very limited or he goes down the field to a car he's not got a chance of wins/podiums in.

I mean from the top teams it'll be Ferrari - no, Mercs - doubtful, McLaren - No, the only possible option I guess is Lotus who might be an option for him but even then you'd think they'd go for a younger driver if Grosjean doesn't keep his seat.
Yeah, the only way is down for Webber really. Can't see him staying in F1 if he decides he's had enough at Red Bull
Old 14-04-13, 05:36 PM   #146
RichC
Meh

Quote:

Talking of consistency - how infuriating must it be to be a Massa supporter? He has started each of the last 5 or 6 races fantastically well before just kind of drifting backwards, be it through lack of concentration, poor racing decisions or just seeming to lose focus. Such a massive difference between him and Alonso.
Ah Massa is the perfect number 2 for Alonso, he knows he has the beating of him race in race out. He's a good driver but I don't think he has that "supreme confidence" that the very best drivers have.
Old 14-04-13, 05:40 PM   #147
G
Paisley

Ferrari will never win the constructors though unless he ups his game just enough to score high points but not enough to trouble the undoubted no 1 driver.
Old 14-04-13, 05:40 PM   #148
RichC
Meh

Quote:

Its always tough to tell with drivers like him, give him a good car and we could see someone that takes it with both hands alternatively we could see a Grosjean who struggles with the pressure on him to perform.
Old 16-04-13, 02:30 PM   #149
Chazza
Des Lynam

Quote:
Bahrain Grand Prix: MPs want race cancelled because of unrest

A group of British MPs have called for the Bahrain Grand Prix to be cancelled amid unrest in the Gulf state.

A week of protests to coincide with this weekend's race began last Friday, organised by the opposition to the ruling royal family.

In a letter to F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone. the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Democracy in Bahrain said: "We request you cancel the Grand Prix.
"It is likely to attract as much negative publicity as last year."

The 2011 event was postponed and later cancelled after month-long pro-democracy protests were crushed and at least 35 people died.

Activists tweeted pictures purporting to show clouds of tear gas at Jabreya school, with people wincing and covering their faces.

Images also showed dozens of spent canisters of tear gas and stun grenades. Unconfirmed reports said there had been injuries.

One father, Mohamed Jaber, went to the school to collect his son but was told by police to leave, the Associated Press news agency reported.

The Ministry of Interior said on its twitter account "police dealt with a group of thugs outside Jabriya school according to legal regulations".

The clashes erupted when police went to break up a protest calling for the release of 17-year-old Hassan Humidan, who was arrested at the school on Monday.

Activists and protesters have called for the Grand Prix to be called off because of Bahrain's human rights record.

For the government and its supporters, holding the F1 race demonstrates to a global audience that after two years of unrest the kingdom is stable and back on track.

However an all-party parliamentary committee of British MPs at a news conference on Tuesday called for sponsors and drivers to withdraw from the race and for the F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone to cancel it.

Chairman of the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Democracy in Bahrain, Andy Slaughter, told the BBC: "There is a close relationship between the race and repression by a regime that is using F1 to try and establish normalcy."

Mr Slaughter called the race a "propaganda exercise", adding "the irony is that this week the level of repression, which goes on week in, week out, is stepped up in a bid to say that it's business as usual."

There have been almost daily clashes in the tiny Gulf island kingdom since security forces used birdshot and tear gas to quash a three-day-old peaceful protest at Manama's Pearl Roundabout on 17 February 2011.

As violence escalated 35 people, including five police officers, were killed, hundreds more were hurt and thousands jailed in February and March 2011.

Since then, opposition and human rights activists say more than 50 people have died, a figure which the government disputes.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22165997
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-13, 02:32 PM   #150
RichC
Meh

Ecclestone won't listen to any of this, far too much money to be made.
Old 20-04-13, 11:54 AM   #151
RichC
Meh

Hamilton has had to change his gearbox so that's a 5 place penalty on the grid. Fancy Alonso for pole here, the Ferrari is looking pretty damn strong.
Old 20-04-13, 12:35 PM   #152
Aj34
Benitez

This really does look like the most depressing place on earth to have a race
Old 20-04-13, 12:42 PM   #153
Daniel 7
Heretic

Yeah, ts so bland, there's no colour in it. No fans either.

Great lap by Di Resta earlier.
Old 20-04-13, 12:46 PM   #154
Daniel 7
Heretic

Being proved right with Perez's shitness thus far. Flavour of the month, panic signing by McLaren.
Old 20-04-13, 12:46 PM   #155
Aj34
Benitez

Button by the skin of his teeth. Should be a good q3
Old 20-04-13, 12:50 PM   #156
RichC
Meh

Quote:
Being proved right with Perez's shitness thus far. Flavour of the month, panic signing by McLaren.

Car does seem to be a bit of a dog at the moment though.
Old 20-04-13, 12:58 PM   #157
Daniel 7
Heretic

Yeah, Button celebrating getting into the top 10 tells it all

Worried McLaren are on a steady decline Williams style. The top 3 in the last race were all drivers and world champions that McLaren let slip through their fingers. Sponsors are leaving, technical staff, engine suppliers and the 2nd best driver on the grid... Difficult times there.
Old 20-04-13, 01:01 PM   #158
Aj34
Benitez

Quote:
Yeah, Button celebrating getting into the top 10 tells it all

Worried McLaren are on a steady decline Williams style. The top 3 in the last race were all drivers and world champions that McLaren let slip through their fingers. Sponsors are leaving, technical staff, engine suppliers and the 2nd best driver on the grid... Difficult times there.
Makes hamilton's decision look like a good one
Old 20-04-13, 01:06 PM   #159
Daniel 7
Heretic

Wow, Nico. Never saw that coming!
Old 20-04-13, 01:07 PM   #160
Aj34
Benitez

Quote: