It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 28-12-19, 11:15 PM   #4121
Irishnev
Shankly

Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-20, 12:17 PM   #4122
Zapater
Dalglish

Etzebeth seems to be settling into France well with his Kiwi buddies Messam and Savea.

On the rugby, I came across this piece on Nadolo the other day, loved it. Always thought of him as an outstanding player, but he's a lovely guy too. Him playing football is classic.

Zapater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-20, 03:17 PM   #4123
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Jonny Gray looks likely to sign for Exeter next season. Will mean three Scots at Exeter with Hogg, Gray and Skinner.

Bit of a result for Glasgow re-signing Leone Nakarawa. He is a monster. A big part of their pro14 tile a few years ago.
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-20, 03:34 PM   #4124
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Jonny Gray looks likely to sign for Exeter next season. Will mean 2 Scots and someone from Torquay at Exeter with Hogg, Gray and Skinner.

Bit of a result for Glasgow re-signing Leone Nakarawa. He is a monster. A big part of their pro14 tile a few years ago.
Corrected for you

JG will be a good signing for both parties IMO and he will definitely improve as a player there under Baxter.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-20, 06:07 PM   #4125
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
Corrected for you

JG will be a good signing for both parties IMO and he will definitely improve as a player there under Baxter.
Yeah I think JG will getvloads better with the move his potential is huge. Still young and has done all he can at Glasgow. Feel for the Warriors though theyve lost Russell, Hogg and Gray over the last three years.

Skinners Dads Scottish - hes one of ours
Old 02-01-20, 07:04 PM   #4126
Cormack74
Shankly

Saracens 'Mr Motivator' getting a fine and suspended ban Nev

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50960307

Munster doctor Jamie Kearns has been given a suspended three-week ban for his role in a brawl involving almost 30 players at Saracens in December.

An independent panel found that Kearns "verbally abused" Saracens player Jamie George during the Champions Cup game.

It was alleged at the time that the comments related to George's weight.

The ban is suspended for 12 months and Kearns will pay a 2,000 euros (1,700) fine after the panel took into account an "immediate expression of remorse".

English side Saracens went on to win the game 15-6 at Allianz Park.

A misconduct complaint was made against Kearns in the wake of the Pool 4 encounter and his sanction was announced following a meeting of the panel in London
Old 02-01-20, 07:06 PM   #4127
Cormack74
Shankly

In other Sarries news Nigel Wray is standing down.

Sort of.

He's still going to be paying the bills it seems.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50972053
Old 02-01-20, 07:10 PM   #4128
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:

he’s one of ours
Course he is . . . that's why he played 9 games for England U20's
Old 02-01-20, 07:21 PM   #4129
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

You lot are trying to convince Cameron Redpath he’s English. Seems a fair trade!
Old 02-01-20, 08:47 PM   #4130
Cormack74
Shankly

He was born in France apparently so he'll probably ditch us both and turn out for Les Bleus
Old 10-01-20, 06:20 PM   #4131
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Was listening to the Rugby Union Weekly podcast and they were saying Jonny Grays tackle success rate over the last decade (his career) is 99%. That is including every game he has played in (Heinieken Cup, International and Pro 14).

He is going to be a beast at Exeter.
Old 10-01-20, 09:37 PM   #4132
Cormack74
Shankly

So maybe he doesn't get in position to make any
Old 11-01-20, 11:12 AM   #4133
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Pro14 record with 43 v Leinster last season.
Old 11-01-20, 01:40 PM   #4134
Cormack74
Shankly

That's pretty decent for a second row.

Although I suspect that stat might indicate Glasgow lost the game
Old 11-01-20, 01:49 PM   #4135
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Nobody beats Leinster.

And now Saracens aren’t allowed to cheat (though surely they are in breach of the salary cap this season?) it will be interesting to see how Leinster and Exeter get on.
Old 11-01-20, 03:21 PM   #4136
Chazza
Des Lynam

Quote:
Nobody beats Leinster.

And now Saracens aren’t allowed to cheat (though surely they are in breach of the salary cap this season?) it will be interesting to see how Leinster and Exeter get on.
Re Saracens, shifting a load in the summer aren’t they like Williams and Kruis plus squad players. Rumours they will be signing Jonny May though so fuck knows how that’s going to work.

Last edited by Chazza; 11-01-20 at 03:23 PM.
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-20, 04:21 PM   #4137
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazza View Post
Re Saracens, shifting a load in the summer arent they like Williams and Kruis plus squad players. Rumours they will be signing Jonny May though so fuck knows how thats going to work.
I know, but doesnt that still mean they are in breech this season, right now. Needs clarifying. Its a mess.
Old 11-01-20, 04:55 PM   #4138
Chazza
Des Lynam

Quote:
I know, but doesn’t that still mean they are in breech this season, right now. Needs clarifying. It’s a mess.
Guess they considered that with the deduction and fine?

They should have been relegated.

Last edited by Chazza; 11-01-20 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-01-20, 05:59 PM   #4139
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Guess they considered that with the deduction and fine?

They should have been relegated.
Yep. They got off lightly.

Watching the Warriors v Chiefs game.

Absolute cracker 31-31 and if anything Glasgow unlucky to not be clear.

Huw Jones back in form (though he has knocked on twice near the line).
Old 11-01-20, 07:28 PM   #4140
Chazza
Des Lynam

Quote:
Yep. They got off lightly.

Watching the Warriors v Chiefs game.

Absolute cracker 31-31 and if anything Glasgow unlucky to not be clear.

Huw Jones back in form (though he has knocked on twice near the line).
Caught the end of it and Hogg hitting the bar from about 60m
Old 12-01-20, 03:41 PM   #4141
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Caught the end of it and Hogg hitting the bar from about 60m

'from the car park'

An absolute monster. He'd have been run out of Glasgow had it gone over. I don't reckon that was out of play at the end either.

Old 12-01-20, 04:52 PM   #4142
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Watching Racing v Munster.

You could not have a starker difference in Rugby philosophies. Iribaren just threw a ridiculous pass for that Racing try.

Good game though.

Last edited by Buzzo; 12-01-20 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-01-20, 05:09 PM   #4143
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

This pass.

There is a moment where you see him considering a routine pass, then he clearly thinks, 'nah, fuck it'.

Old 12-01-20, 06:10 PM   #4144
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Brilliant match.

Munster stayed right in it until the final 1/4.
Old 12-01-20, 06:52 PM   #4145
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Brilliant match.

Munster stayed right in it until the final 1/4.
Was at a funeral so missed the game but not a surprise - Munster’s players have been at it too long and not enough quality coming through. Did well to stay in it until the last 10 but class tells in the end.

Carbery is a loss and Hanrahan was just passed fit......trained in his own all week. CJ, POM, Murray and Earls are coming to the end of the road as well so the future looks a little bleak.

Leinster on the other hand are producing players at will and romping through their group. Mind you......the quality they had to face as opposed to Racing and Saracens is a massive difference
Old 15-01-20, 09:24 PM   #4146
Cormack74
Shankly

Yeah a good effort from your boys Nev all things considered.

As I said up the page they looked as if they would cause a surprise at Sarries until the medic got involved

I don't know anything about the ownership of the Provinces. Are there private individuals backing the teams or is it funding from the Irish Union plus whatever they can raise in sponsorship? If it's the latter I presume Leinster are going to be better resourced in Dublin and bringing more players through than is the case down there in the wild west?
Old 16-01-20, 08:24 AM   #4147
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Yeah a good effort from your boys Nev all things considered.

As I said up the page they looked as if they would cause a surprise at Sarries until the medic got involved

I don't know anything about the ownership of the Provinces. Are there private individuals backing the teams or is it funding from the Irish Union plus whatever they can raise in sponsorship? If it's the latter I presume Leinster are going to be better resourced in Dublin and bringing more players through than is the case down there in the wild west?
Central contracts and players are moved around by the head of rugby development if there is too many of one position in a particular province. There are also overseas players and this is funded through the IRFU but extra money can be funded by a third party - Rory McIlroy was supposed to be paying fir a few if the Saffers in Ulster years ago, JP McManus for Jean de Villiers and some unknown paid for Rocky Elsom at Leinster.

It really boils down to having good academies and structures within the school system to feed them - Leinster have that nailed right now and their talent pool is ridiculous especially in the back row. As I said above some of them may be moved for game time a la Carbury to Munster
Old 16-01-20, 08:50 PM   #4148
Cormack74
Shankly

Blimey I never realized there were so many factors at play. All sounds very Irish in fact

More schools around the Dublin must mean more / better players to bring through though so a definite advantage for Leinster.
Old 16-01-20, 08:59 PM   #4149
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Richie Gray joining Glasgow next season to replace his brother. I havent seen Richie play for years. He’s a monster when he’s on his game. Been injured a fair bit in Toulouse tho.

Stuart Hogg named as next Scotland captain. Quite like the look of our squad. Huw Jones back in which is good. Would be interested to see him and Hutchison together.
Old 16-01-20, 11:03 PM   #4150
Cormack74
Shankly

Saracens could potentially win the Champions Cup and get relegated in the same season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51143657

Saracens are facing relegation from the Premiership if they are found to have breached the salary cap again.

The defending champions received a 35-point deduction and a 5.3m fine in November, having broken the cap for the past three seasons.

However, there is widespread belief they will once more struggle to get under the 7m limit this season.

The BBC has learned Saracens have been told to comply with the rules immediately or face relegation.

The bosses of the top-flight clubs met at a Premiership Rugby board meeting in London on Tuesday.

It was decided that unless Saracens could prove their compliance, they would face the unprecedented step of dropping into the second tier.

Although Saracens interim chief executive Edward Griffiths revealed to the BBC earlier this month that the club may need to trim their squad to fit under the cap, no players have yet been released.

The contract season has already run for seven months - since the start of July - with all the money paid to players who have featured for the club during that period counting towards the cap.

Furthermore, any money paid as compensation to players for cutting short contracts would also be included in the wage bill.

Meanwhile, Premiership Rugby announced last month a comprehensive review of the current salary cap regulations, conducted by former government minister Lord Myners.
Old 16-01-20, 11:04 PM   #4151
Cormack74
Shankly

And here's something from left field.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51129870

Wales centre Jamie Roberts has left Bath with immediate effect to join Super Rugby side Stormers.

Roberts was in his second season with Bath after joining from Harlequins, but will leave the Gallagher Premiership club to join the South African side, based in Cape Town.

The 33-year-old won the last of his 94 Wales caps in November 2017 against New Zealand.

Roberts also played three Tests on two British and Irish Lions tours.

"It is bittersweet because Bath has been an amazing place to live and play," said Roberts.

"I have loved my time and being involved in some pretty special games.

"It is tough to leave and today was very difficult on my last day having to stand up in front of the lads and thanking them and I got quite emotional."

Bath have signed Fiji centre Josh Matavesi from Newcastle Falcons to help plug the gap created by Roberts' departure.

Stormers say Roberts will also act as a mentor and has joined the side through the financial support of a corporate partner with the initial dealing lasting five months.

"The Stormers got in touch and they were looking for a bit of experience to their backline," said Roberts.

"I have toured South Africa with a load of sides and it's a place that resonated probably because rugby is at the heart of what it is about.

"It is their national sport and it reminds me of Wales how passionate they are about the game.

"In life and in a rugby career these opportunities don't come around very often.

"It is an opportunity that won't come my way again now I am 33 and probably only have a couple of years left in my career.

"It is a chance I can't not take because I would have to live with that regret if I don't do it."

The centre was named Lions man-of-the-series in South Africa in 2009 and scored a try in the victorious series decider against Australia in Sydney four years later.

Roberts had hoped to be selected by new Wales coach Wayne Pivac, but was not named in the 38-man squad for the 2020 Six Nations.

Stormers open their Super Rugby campaign on 1 February with a home match against Hurricanes. The South African side are captained by Springbok World Cup winning skipper Siya Kolisi.
Old 17-01-20, 12:14 AM   #4152
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Saracens could potentially win the Champions Cup and get relegated in the same season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51143657

Saracens are facing relegation from the Premiership if they are found to have breached the salary cap again.

The defending champions received a 35-point deduction and a 5.3m fine in November, having broken the cap for the past three seasons.

However, there is widespread belief they will once more struggle to get under the 7m limit this season.

The BBC has learned Saracens have been told to comply with the rules immediately or face relegation.

The bosses of the top-flight clubs met at a Premiership Rugby board meeting in London on Tuesday.

It was decided that unless Saracens could prove their compliance, they would face the unprecedented step of dropping into the second tier.

Although Saracens interim chief executive Edward Griffiths revealed to the BBC earlier this month that the club may need to trim their squad to fit under the cap, no players have yet been released.

The contract season has already run for seven months - since the start of July - with all the money paid to players who have featured for the club during that period counting towards the cap.

Furthermore, any money paid as compensation to players for cutting short contracts would also be included in the wage bill.

Meanwhile, Premiership Rugby announced last month a comprehensive review of the current salary cap regulations, conducted by former government minister Lord Myners.
What a shambles.

They are so obviously still in breech this season, because their squad hasnt changed at all. Ultimately because of the timing the entire season is totally devalued.
Old 17-01-20, 12:39 AM   #4153
Cormack74
Shankly

It's pretty bonkers. I'm not backing Sarries here but after being found guilty it would seem unlikely that they could instantly get their house in order so I don't quite see why they weren't given the rest of the season as a period of grace.
Old 17-01-20, 01:10 AM   #4154
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
It's pretty bonkers. I'm not backing Sarries here but after being found guilty it would seem unlikely that they could instantly get their house in order so I don't quite see why they weren't given the rest of the season as a period of grace.

The news was delayed until the end of the WC which has given them all manner of issues.

The RFU should have just relegated them, then let the season play out. I agree it is hard for them to do anything this season, but ultimately it devalues the competition if they are still breaking the rules.
Old 17-01-20, 08:19 AM   #4155
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
"It is their national sport and it reminds me of Wales how passionate they are about the game.
Has to be careful saying things like that, football is the national sport and the PC brigade will castrate him before landing Will be interesting to see how he gets on, seems like Stormers will be looking to play a Wales style of rugby in this years competition.

Quote:
The news was delayed until the end of the WC which has given them all manner of issues.

The RFU should have just relegated them, then let the season play out. I agree it is hard for them to do anything this season, but ultimately it devalues the competition if they are still breaking the rules.
I haven't been following it too closely, but there is a bit of an Enron, organisational narcissism feel to it. Blatantly not caring, even former players coming out and saying that it doesn't matter if Saracens are relegated because it's about the 'people and culture' etc.
Zapater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-20, 06:58 PM   #4156
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:

I think I might go and put a bet on for the Champions Cup because if they are going down anyway they will just rest all their big guns for those games.

Which in itself makes a bit of a mockery of the Gallaghers Prem' because some teams have already had to play them at full strength (or near) but from now on (or very soon) everyone could be playing their second (or even 3rd) team for the rest of the season.
Old 17-01-20, 08:04 PM   #4157
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
I think I might go and put a bet on for the Champions Cup because if they are going down anyway they will just rest all their big guns for those games.

Which in itself makes a bit of a mockery of the Gallaghers Prem' because some teams have already had to play them at full strength (or near) but from now on (or very soon) everyone could be playing their second (or even 3rd) team for the rest of the season.
100% agree, particularly on the strength of team put out.

If they go down apparently they wont be allowed to play Champions Cup next season whatever happens. Even if they win it this.
Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM   #4158
Cormack74
Shankly

Clermont re-visiting the French habit of taking the utter piss out of the replacement rule to get their best prop back on when they needed to win a scrum.

It's about time an opposing team did something similar.
Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM   #4159
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Saracens relegated.

Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM   #4160
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
proper order - strip the cheats of their European Cups also