It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 07-02-19, 08:25 PM   #3361
Cormack74
Shankly
 
Cormack74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 8,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Our team for the Irish.

1 Dell, 2 McInally, 3 Berghan
4 Gilchrist, 5 Gray
6 Wilson, 7 Ritchie, 8 Gray

9 Laidlaw
10 Russell

11 Maitland

12 Johnson, 13 Jones

14 Seymour

15 Hogg

I wonder if Duncan Taylor will ever be fit?

I'd forgotten Duncan Taylor ever existed TBH.
Cormack74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-19, 08:29 PM   #3362
Cormack74
Shankly
 
Cormack74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 8,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Henshaw injured also now


I'm guessing he might not have kept his place at FB though? In the centre perhaps to cover Ringrose had he been fit?

I always used to rate Kearney but I can't pretend I've seen him play this season.
Cormack74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-19, 08:54 PM   #3363
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 31,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
I'd forgotten Duncan Taylor ever existed TBH.


Highly rated at Saracens, would be great to imagine him and Huw Jones together.

Hasnít picked up a cap for nearly 2 years.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-19, 08:55 PM   #3364
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 31,459
Looks like it will be wet on Saturday.

I think that favours Ireland also.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-19, 09:25 PM   #3365
Cormack74
Shankly
 
Cormack74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 8,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post


Highly rated at Saracens, would be great to imagine him and Huw Jones together.

Hasnít picked up a cap for nearly 2 years.

Yes frequently excellent at Sarries whenever I watched him but with so many injuries he'd completely fallen off my radar.

I just googled his A and E attendance over the past 3 years - it reads like an episode of Holby:

Anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments in his left knee, two ankle operations, hamstring and shoulder problems topped off with some serious concussions. Ouch.
Cormack74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-19, 09:34 PM   #3366
Cormack74
Shankly
 
Cormack74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 8,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Looks like it will be wet on Saturday.

I think that favours Ireland also.


Leaving aside the obvious stuff to do with bulk and scrums in your game this w/e, I couldn't help wondering in the Ire v Eng game when that fixture was last played in Dublin on a dry day.

Ireland have been top drawer for a couple of years and beat NZ in the US sunshine IIRC.

So I'm not meaning to detract from what they've achieved on any level but I do think they're even harder to beat when it's damp. Maybe they are just so used to playing in the rain and / or it suits their style? What d'you think Nev?
Cormack74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-19, 09:39 PM   #3367
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 31,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post


Leaving aside the obvious stuff to do with bulk and scrums in your game this w/e, I couldn't help wondering in the Ire v Eng game when that fixture was last played in Dublin on a dry day.

Ireland have been top drawer for a couple of years and beat NZ in the US sunshine IIRC.

So I'm not meaning to detract from what they've achieved on any level but I do think they're even harder to beat when it's damp. Maybe they are just so used to playing in the rain and / or it suits their style? What d'you think Nev?
There has to be something in that. It should suit us, but we donít have the squad depth.

It was interesting to here John Barclay speak after our game at the weekend, when Guscitt said we (Scotland) had to front up to the Fireard battle. Barclay agreed to a point but also said that based on the relative size of the 2 packs we would need to play to our strengths and be Ďcuterí.

We have picked a very mobile back row, I think we will be runnings some pretty interesting back row formations which is where the weather will be a real bastard.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-19, 09:46 PM   #3368
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 31,459
Are you English Cormack? I’m desperately trying to recall and don’t pick up any overt allegiance through the thread.

You seem far too reasonable
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-19, 10:41 PM   #3369
Cormack74
Shankly
 
Cormack74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 8,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Are you English Cormack? I’m desperately trying to recall and don’t pick up any overt allegiance through the thread.

You seem far too reasonable

Yes, very mate but I appreciate the sentiment

If it's football (LFC) I can't be dispassionate because it's about winning and nothing else. Maybe once upon a time England winning was all I was interested in (and I do still want them to win) but I watch Rugby slightly differently these days.

This is maybe because I don't have strong allegiance to a club side so I watch loads of games where I'm not remotely bothered about the outcome only the game itself. And having done coaching and refereeing I get a bit nuanced watching games - I tend to tape stuff and watch it through the week rather than live which probably doesn't help as it nourishes my addiction In fact sometimes I spend more time watching the refs positioning or a particular player than the game itself

So all this probably feeds into the way I watch the 6N these days. Hopefully England do well but if not there are other things to enjoy in the games and it would be sad not to find stuff to appreciate when it only happens for 6 weeks a year.
Cormack74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-19, 10:49 PM   #3370
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 31,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
Yes, very mate but I appreciate the sentiment

If it's football (LFC) I can't be dispassionate because it's about winning and nothing else. Maybe once upon a time England winning was all I was interested in (and I do still want them to win) but I watch Rugby slightly differently these days.

This is maybe because I don't have strong allegiance to a club side so I watch loads of games where I'm not remotely bothered about the outcome only the game itself. And having done coaching and refereeing I get a bit nuanced watching games - I tend to tape stuff and watch it through the week rather than live which probably doesn't help as it nourishes my addiction In fact sometimes I spend more time watching the refs positioning or a particular player than the game itself

So all this probably feeds into the way I watch the 6N these days. Hopefully England do well but if not there are other things to enjoy in the games and it would be sad not to find stuff to appreciate when it only happens for 6 weeks a year.
Thats definitely how you present yourself in this thread, I was looking back over your posts and couldnt pick any bias.

Rugby is a funny sport supporter wise, it has a totally different vibe from Football. But, contains some absolute fucking horror shows from pretty much every nation (I very much include my own) old posh wankers, young chinless wonders to pissed up day trippers who dont get the game at all. But Rugby folk can also be incredibly precious, and weirdly dismissive of other sports.

But then due to the code of the sport I have also had more fascinating debates about the game and teams with supporters of other sides than I ever have in football. And the decent majority that go are amazing.

Impressed that you have reffed. People talk about the difficulties in reffing football, but the myriad laws in Rugby that have to be accessed instantly make it such a tough game for a ref.

Last edited by Buzzo; 07-02-19 at 10:51 PM.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-19, 11:21 PM   #3371
Cormack74
Shankly
 
Cormack74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 8,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Thats definitely how you present yourself in this thread, I was looking back over your posts and couldnt pick any bias.

Rugby is a funny sport supporter wise, it has a totally different vibe from Football. But, contains some absolute fucking horror shows from pretty much every nation (I very much include my own) old posh wankers, young chinless wonders to pissed up day trippers who dont get the game at all. But Rugby folk can also be incredibly precious, and weirdly dismissive of other sports.

But then due to the code of the sport I have also had more fascinating debates about the game and teams with supporters of other sides than I ever have in football. And the decent majority that go are amazing.

Impressed that you have reffed. People talk about the difficulties in reffing football, but the myriad laws in Rugby that have to be accessed instantly make it such a tough game for a ref.

Agreed, people are generally less tribal when it comes to rugby (unless it's a night out in Cardiff and the beer has taken over), so it's always more interesting than talking about football where there are so many prejudices.

And as you say there is more diversity despite the caricature of posh blokes at Twickers which is not to say that they don't exist. I sat in front of a couple of whoppers last time I was there a several years back and they were the most tedious people, who finished off pissing into bottles as they couldn't be arsed going to the toilets

Reffing was predominantly youth so actually the chances of them picking me up on an overlooked technical point was generally slim The biggest issues I found were that you needed 3 pairs of eyes: Partly because unlike in football where offside only really becomes a thing once a team gets near goal (and it will only be one team who can be offside at that point) whereas in rugby both teams can be in offside positions at any point on the pitch, sometimes simultaneously.

And also because there are just so many people on the pitch often your view is obscured - not helped by the fact that a football is travelling in clear(ish) sight along the ground whereas a rugby ball may be in someone's hand who has his back to you. So you might go to a game (not one where there are 2 proper linoes and a TMO- something lower league or junior) and wonder how on earth the ref hasn't given a knock on when it's so obvious to all the spectators without realizing that he couldn't possibly have seen it because at that moment a big second row was moving across his line of sight.

I did quite enjoy it and whilst I did get some abuse, there is far less stick than you would get doing the same thing at a football match. Maybe if I had taken it up a bit younger I would have fancied getting to a decent level. I should imagine there's a few quid these days for the guys who do the premiership and the pro 14 let alone the ones who get to do Internationals.
Cormack74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 08:20 AM   #3372
Irishnev
Shankly
 
Irishnev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
I'm guessing he might not have kept his place at FB though? In the centre perhaps to cover Ringrose had he been fit?

I always used to rate Kearney but I can't pretend I've seen him play this season.
Heíd have moved into the centre and Kearney to full back. The thing is Kearney is mid 30s now and we need to try others in that position and with him being injured a lot this season they decided not to rush him back.

Henshaw started as a full back and I reckon Joe say it as an opportunity to play him and then keep Bundee and Ringrose also. England exposed him ruthlessly.

Larmour has the big hype around him so if he is supposed to be the next big thing then see how he fairs vs England in a huge game. The ironic thing is that Zebo is arguably our best full back but with him playing for Racing they wonít pick him.
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 08:23 AM   #3373
Irishnev
Shankly
 
Irishnev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post


Leaving aside the obvious stuff to do with bulk and scrums in your game this w/e, I couldn't help wondering in the Ire v Eng game when that fixture was last played in Dublin on a dry day.

Ireland have been top drawer for a couple of years and beat NZ in the US sunshine IIRC.

So I'm not meaning to detract from what they've achieved on any level but I do think they're even harder to beat when it's damp. Maybe they are just so used to playing in the rain and / or it suits their style? What d'you think Nev?
We play an accuracy based game, long gone are the days of fighting in the wind and rain. I think Buzzo refers to there being many scrums due to handling errors which might suit us better.

We are used to rain but surely so are the Scots

Cormack - surely some Irish blood with that name?
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 09:54 AM   #3374
RichC
Meh
 
RichC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 34,557
I fancy the Irish will have too much for Scotland, last week we played the best I’ve seen us for a couple of years at least and the Irish were below their usual standards, I just can’t see that happening two games in a row at the moment.

Our game vs the French will be interesting the disaster last week in the second half vs the Welsh could have mentally done for them or as I expect we’ll see them bounce back a bit, not overly confident at all which is strange vs the French these days !
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 10:10 AM   #3375
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 31,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
We play an accuracy based game, long gone are the days of fighting in the wind and rain. I think Buzzo refers to there being many scrums due to handling errors which might suit us better.

We are used to rain but surely so are the Scots

Cormack - surely some Irish blood with that name?
Rain means knock ins means scrums, our depleted front row against yours means this could be a problem. If we are accurate then I’d fancy us, but, I’m not confident. I think it will be a losing bonus point game either way.

It’s looking like it’s going to be both rainy and windy, so expecting a lot of kicking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
I fancy the Irish will have too much for Scotland, last week we played the best I’ve seen us for a couple of years at least and the Irish were below their usual standards, I just can’t see that happening two games in a row at the moment.

Our game vs the French will be interesting the disaster last week in the second half vs the Welsh could have mentally done for them or as I expect we’ll see them bounce back a bit, not overly confident at all which is strange vs the French these days !
The French are as enigmatic as ever. They were class in the first half and looked a real force to be reckoned with and then... Too many ridiculous offloads, too many expansive passes.

How you prepare to play them after a performance like that I’ve no idea. I guess you prepare for the first half team and hope for the second half one.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 01:05 PM   #3376
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 31,459
Ashton back for England.

Ashton, Farrell and Eddie Jones Not winning many popularity contests with opposing fans with those three

Bastareaud back for the French. I think he is massively over rated.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 11:07 PM   #3377
Cormack74
Shankly
 
Cormack74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 8,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
We play an accuracy based game, long gone are the days of fighting in the wind and rain. I think Buzzo refers to there being many scrums due to handling errors which might suit us better.

We are used to rain but surely so are the Scots

Cormack - surely some Irish blood with that name?

Cormack is in homage to Peter Cormack (the guy in my avatar) who I came across watching a re-run of the '74 cup final: the best player I'd never heard of He spent time at Hibs I believe (before and possibly after) so clearly the wrong side of the tracks in Buzzo's eyes

But I do have some Irish blood apparently; Frenchies (yeah I know spit, spit) who went there in the mid 18th century. Not sure why or when they fetched up in Ingerland though.
Cormack74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 11:10 PM   #3378
Cormack74
Shankly
 
Cormack74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 8,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Rain means knock ins means scrums, our depleted front row against yours means this could be a problem. If we are accurate then Iíd fancy us, but, Iím not confident. I think it will be a losing bonus point game either way.

Itís looking like itís going to be both rainy and windy, so expecting a lot of kicking.


I'm inclined to agree this is exactly how it will be . . but maybe it will offer up some surprises like last week. As a neutral I'm hoping so
Cormack74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 11:22 PM   #3379
Cormack74
Shankly
 
Cormack74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 8,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Ashton back for England.

Ashton, Farrell and Eddie Jones Not winning many popularity contests with opposing fans with those three

Bastareaud back for the French. I think he is massively over rated.

I suspect Bastereaud is an attempt to nullify Manu Tuilagi but although he's a fat lad I don't see that it necessarily means he has a better chance of stopping him than Ntamack. I don't especially recall his defensive capabilities being anything special and despite his build, MT is by no means slow whereas Bastereaud looks pretty ponderous.

It's not easy to ever second guess how France will perform and especially not when they play one game then make 6 changes for the next. I can't see any reason why this game will be anything other than an England win but equally if a motivated , inspired French team turn up as they randomly do, then any result is possible.
Cormack74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 12:04 PM   #3380
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 31,459
About to head of for a pre match pint with some Irish friends, very windy today but this far dry. It feels like it could be a cracker, both teams with a lot to prove today.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 01:22 PM   #3381
Rigadon
Dalglish
 
Rigadon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
About to head of for a pre match pint with some Irish friends, very windy today but this far dry. It feels like it could be a cracker, both teams with a lot to prove today.
Enjoy Buzzo. Think it will be a cracker. Edinburgh is a great place to be for 6 Nations games.
__________________
Another MASSIVE game
Rigadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 01:50 PM   #3382
Irishnev
Shankly
 
Irishnev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
About to head of for a pre match pint with some Irish friends, very windy today but this far dry. It feels like it could be a cracker, both teams with a lot to prove today.
Enjoy the day Buzzo and may the best side win, I’m never confident in Murrayfield but the kick in the arse last week might help a bit. Two depleted teams and I don’t know how it will go - wouldn’t be surprised at ANY result today.
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 05:09 PM   #3383
Irishnev
Shankly
 
Irishnev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,751
Tough win - didn’t play well but a nervy win nonetheless. Take it and run.
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 10:22 PM   #3384
RichC
Meh
 
RichC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 34,557
Scotland vs Ireland was a good watch earlier, conditions looked like it made it bloody tough for both sides.

Result is what I expected but the injury to Hogg certainly didn’t help the Scots
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 11:34 PM   #3385
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 31,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Scotland vs Ireland was a good watch earlier, conditions looked like it made it bloody tough for both sides.

Result is what I expected but the injury to Hogg certainly didnít help the Scots
We were brilliant first half, and the Irish defence at the start and the end of the half probably won them the game. But even within that we gifted Ireland a try.

Second half was a bit of a non event with the Irish managing the ball well.

Our front row is just decimated and the replacement props just werenít strong or experienced enough, these guys donít even start for their clubs let alone being thrown into international rugby.

Thought the trip on Hogg where he was injured was a pen though.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 01:16 AM   #3386
Zapater
Dalglish
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,357
Pissed away Buzzo
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 09:28 AM   #3387
Irishnev
Shankly
 
Irishnev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
We were brilliant first half, and the Irish defence at the start and the end of the half probably won them the game. But even within that we gifted Ireland a try.

Second half was a bit of a non event with the Irish managing the ball well.

Our front row is just decimated and the replacement props just werenít strong or experienced enough, these guys donít even start for their clubs let alone being thrown into international rugby.

Thought the trip on Hogg where he was injured was a pen though.
In fairness we retuned the favour but Russell did v well to take advantage. Your no 7 (Richie?) was superb.
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 11:54 AM   #3388
Cormack74
Shankly
 
Cormack74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 8,270
First half I think the Scots really should have made more of their possession but if the ref' had picked up the "no arm" tackles from O'Mahoney on Hogg and Kearney near his own line then Ireland wouldn't have scored their first try and one or both players could easily have gone to the bin.

I get Poitre might not necessarily have seen either incident (although he seemed to imply he saw the Hogg one) but any TMO worth his salt should have been referring him back to them.

Second half it looked to me like the real Ireland turned up but TBH the number of knock ons, daft pens' and poor option taking by Scotland did them plenty of favours.
Cormack74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 12:42 PM   #3389
Irishnev
Shankly
 
Irishnev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
First half I think the Scots really should have made more of their possession but if the ref' had picked up the "no arm" tackles from O'Mahoney on Hogg and Kearney near his own line then Ireland wouldn't have scored their first try and one or both players could easily have gone to the bin.

I get Poitre might not necessarily have seen either incident (although he seemed to imply he saw the Hogg one) but any TMO worth his salt should have been referring him back to them.

Second half it looked to me like the real Ireland turned up but TBH the number of knock ons, daft pens' and poor option taking by Scotland did them plenty of favours.
The French officials weíve had in both games were poor - Sexton was targeted by the Scots and copped a fair few late hits. Iím not sure how many times POM turned the ball over legitimately to be called back. Aki did the same in the first half and again got pinged incorrectly. We pride ourselves on accuracy and give away v few penalties but Poitre was poor for both sides.

We have depth in certain positions but not in others are really rely of on half backs to dominate games - right now both Murray and Sexton are badly out of form. Murray in particular is struggling with his kicking game.

Our go to guys in the back to make yards have struggled in both games and the most frustrating thing for me is Beirne is injured as I had hoped heíd get the chance to stake his place as Ryanís partner. He is superb.
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 01:23 PM   #3390
Cormack74
Shankly
 
Cormack74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 8,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
The French officials we’ve had in both games were poor - Sexton was targeted by the Scots and copped a fair few late hits. I’m not sure how many times POM turned the ball over legitimately to be called back. Aki did the same in the first half and again got pinged incorrectly. We pride ourselves on accuracy and give away v few penalties but Poitre was poor for both sides.

We have depth in certain positions but not in others are really rely of on half backs to dominate games - right now both Murray and Sexton are badly out of form. Murray in particular is struggling with his kicking game.

Our go to guys in the back to make yards have struggled in both games and the most frustrating thing for me is Beirne is injured as I had hoped he’d get the chance to stake his place as Ryan’s partner. He is superb.


Some of the hits on Sexton were certainly borderline, although they made the point on the UK coverage that by taking the ball right to the line (which is one of his great strengths), he is going to get the big hit rather than the guy outside him for whom he creates the space.

And within the millisecond of it occurring it's not always possible to judge whether the tackler is already committed or whether he's trying to leave one on dear Johnny.

I thought Carberry was pretty good when he came on (intercepted pass aside) so at least there should be a seamless transition when Johnny hangs up his shoulder pads.

With Connor Murray, the thing that struck me about his quality of kicking in the Champions Cup was that no one was putting any pressure on him. So maybe some analysis was done on that because he hasn't had nearly such an easy ride these past two weeks and has suffered accordingly.
Cormack74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 02:29 PM   #3391
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 31,459
Dupe

Last edited by Buzzo; 10-02-19 at 02:32 PM.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 02:31 PM   #3392
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 31,459
I agree, how he missed the ‘tackle’ on Hogg was incredible. And then Hogg was out of position dragging Maitland across for the shite pass from Seymour. To go in 2 points down having played so well must have been demoralising, but it does highlight the accuracy required.

Ireland’s defence was incredible first half and we threw everything at them but couldn’t get across the line.

Your analysis of second half is bang on. Everything went flat. Atmosphere chances open play. Everything.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 04:05 PM   #3393
Irishnev
Shankly
 
Irishnev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
Some of the hits on Sexton were certainly borderline, although they made the point on the UK coverage that by taking the ball right to the line (which is one of his great strengths), he is going to get the big hit rather than the guy outside him for whom he creates the space.

And within the millisecond of it occurring it's not always possible to judge whether the tackler is already committed or whether he's trying to leave one on dear Johnny.

I thought Carberry was pretty good when he came on (intercepted pass aside) so at least there should be a seamless transition when Johnny hangs up his shoulder pads.

With Connor Murray, the thing that struck me about his quality of kicking in the Champions Cup was that no one was putting any pressure on him. So maybe some analysis was done on that because he hasn't had nearly such an easy ride these past two weeks and has suffered accordingly.
Carbury was in Sextons shadow at Leinster so he moved to Munster this year, still v young at 23 but he needs to improve his kicking game. In terms of carrying the ball and having that maverick quality heís got that for sure.

Ronan OíGara is an analyst on Irish tv and compares him to Beauden Barrett at the same age.....big shout! ROG is a future Irish coach - v highly rated at both Racing and now at Canterbury.
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 07:03 PM   #3394
Cormack74
Shankly
 
Cormack74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 8,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
second half . . Everything went flat. Atmosphere chances open play. Everything.

That's the thing which has impressed me the most about Scotland in the past 18 months, that in the big matches they haven't got flustered but have continued to play their own game in a calm way.

Yesterday the second half was a bit of a throw back to that less successful period where they wanted to force things to happen rather than trusting in themselves to make them happen.
Cormack74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 07:07 PM   #3395
Cormack74
Shankly
 
Cormack74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 8,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Carbury was in Sextons shadow at Leinster so he moved to Munster this year, still v young at 23 but he needs to improve his kicking game. In terms of carrying the ball and having that maverick quality heís got that for sure.

Ronan OíGara is an analyst on Irish tv and compares him to Beauden Barrett at the same age.....big shout! ROG is a future Irish coach - v highly rated at both Racing and now at Canterbury.

Yes, I always saw ROG as a rather boring (but clearly effective) player whereas as a coach he definitely seems to have something about him. Big call that though, no pressure on Joey at all
Cormack74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 08:05 PM   #3396
rodo
Shankly
 
rodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,546
__________________
Oh I say his vision there was lovely
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 09:07 PM   #3397
Cormack74
Shankly
 
Cormack74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 8,270
Well Buzzo did tell us he'd be there with his mates
Cormack74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-19, 11:10 PM   #3398
ChesterDave
Paisley
 
ChesterDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 21,590
I'm in the top 100 of Telegraph Fantasy Rugby.

£5k to the winner
__________________
If it's a girl they're calling her Sigorney after an actress and if it's a boy they're naming him Rodney after Dave.
ChesterDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-19, 11:42 AM   #3399
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 31,459
Age old argument up here because you arenít allowed alcohol at football.

Mainly because of the old firm.

The rest of it is fairly standard behaviour in Edinburgh on a Saturday night (I believe) throwing the class argument is typical of non Rugby supporters and though it may have happened not representative of the 70k who attended the match.

I was home by 7
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-19, 03:17 PM   #3400
Cormack74
Shankly
 
Cormack74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 8,270
It's agenda led bollocks. There weren't 70 thousand posh blokes at the game and I wonder who the Police would rather deal with, pissed rugby fans or pissed football fans?
Cormack74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

  est1892 > General > General Sports

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:29 AM.


Our Current Balance versus Target. Please help us: (Donate)

Kindly Hosted By DigitalWales
Any posts remain the responsibility of the poster. Neither est1892, its Owners nor any company affiliated will be held responsible from any disputes arising from these posts. The views raised are not necessarily those held by the website or its owners.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.