It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 24-11-19, 06:54 AM   #8561
Zapater
Dalglish

The second I turned on the TV, Ortiz got sparked. Thought I was seeing a highlight. According to the commentators, he was doing really well, but Wilder's power is ridiculous. I've been quite vocal about not being a fan of heavyweights, including Wilder, but I have to think he's the best of the mediocre lot. Ortiz I think would fancy himself against either Joshua or Ruiz.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-19, 09:04 AM   #8562
RichC
Meh

Wilder is a poor boxer but hes got that one punch power that’s his get out of jail free card. Saw it with Fury who outboxed him for 12 rounds but got caught with a massive punch that swung the scorecard to a draw (it wasn’t he lost that fight).
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-19, 09:06 AM   #8563
labourRed
Shankly

Joshua would be asleep for days if he caught the end of that one.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-19, 12:17 PM   #8564
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Wilder is a poor boxer but hes got that one punch power thatís his get out of jail free card. Saw it with Fury who outboxed him for 12 rounds but got caught with a massive punch that swung the scorecard to a draw (it wasnít he lost that fight).
This is the hurt business, amateur boxing is for tapping which is what Fury does. Fury couldn't hurt a fly, the only way he's scored knockouts is by leaning on smaller people and flooding them with a volume which technically isn't really allowed, see Cunningham. The southpaw slapping of Chisora was an excellent gameplan, but not a stoppage as such.

As Lou DiBella said, this Wilder is talentless is bs. He might not be good from a technique perspective or have an orthodox style, but there is a skill in being able to drop/knockout the better fighters in the division. Also the ability to control/gauge range to land those shots is something that he doesn't get credit for.

If you count the two knockdowns which gives Wilder 4 rounds in the 10 point scoring system, he only needed to secure 2 to earn a draw. As awful as he was, I can definitely find 2 rounds out of 10 to give Wilder, particularly as some judges believe in the archaic 'you need to convincingly win rounds against the champ to get the round' mentality. Absolutely nothing fighters regardless.
Old 24-11-19, 12:22 PM   #8565
RichC
Meh

He’s a poor boxer he has power and of course it’s about finishing people however if he doesn’t land that punch he’s going to get beaten, he lost the first Fury fight and he knows it and again last night he was being schooled in the ring. Staying away from his power is the issue as it’s only ever one punch away.

Most of the boxing world think Fury won it, I’ll go with them and my own eyes on that thanks and I’m not really a Fury fan either.
Old 24-11-19, 12:55 PM   #8566
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Wilder is a poor boxer but hes got that one punch power that’s his get out of jail free card. Saw it with Fury who outboxed him for 12 rounds but got caught with a massive punch that swung the scorecard to a draw (it wasn’t he lost that fight).
He's the definition of 'a puncher's chance' isn't he.
Old 24-11-19, 12:59 PM   #8567
Zapater
Dalglish

Not a fan of Wilder or any other heavyweight tbh, but 40 KOs in 42 fights is more than a 'punchers chance', clearly no coincidence.
Old 24-11-19, 01:18 PM   #8568
fidget
Shankly

A damning indictment of the modern heavyweight scene.
He’s fought two good boxers in his career
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-19, 02:41 PM   #8569
RichC
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidget View Post
A damning indictment of the modern heavyweight scene.
Heís fought two good boxers in his career

Career padded out with some absolute bums
Old 02-12-19, 12:29 PM   #8570
Angryred
Dalglish

Good article here on Joshua vs Ruiz 2

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/50534700
Old 02-12-19, 03:20 PM   #8571
calvoboy
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
If you count the two knockdowns which gives Wilder 4 rounds in the 10 point scoring system, he only needed to secure 2 to earn a draw. As awful as he was, I can definitely find 2 rounds out of 10 to give Wilder, particularly as some judges believe in the archaic 'you need to convincingly win rounds against the champ to get the round' mentality. Absolutely nothing fighters regardless.
Sorry to make a completely pedantic point, but he needs 3 out of the other 10 to get a draw. 2 x 10-9s and 2 x 10-8s would give him a lead of 6 points with 4 rounds scored, so if the other fighter wins the other 8 rounds he'd lose. 3 rounds would give him a lead of 7 with 7 other rounds to score.
calvoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 08:03 PM   #8572
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:

Career padded out with some absolute bums
My point is that people say that Mike Tyson is a heavyweight great and what he beat wasn't too much better. Apart from Spinks, Holmes (who was only a million years old), Bruno at a stretch; the other names on his list were decent at best [at the time of the fights]. Lost to Holyfield, stopped by Lewis, dodged Bowe/Tua etc. Sure there were some tough fights on paper against good fighters but other than the above, there aren't any real standout wins.

In sports, particularly boxing it's always 'older is better'. Whilst the mentality is fair enough and I agree to it to some point, it discredits what lots of people are doing now. I remember someone telling me after Golovkin - Canelo 1 that there aren't any exciting middleweights anymore and there haven't been knockouts since Hagler. Where in reality at the time Golovkin had a higher KO% than Hagler. These 'all time' lists from 'experts' always have a huge American bias. The welterweight division from the mid 90s to until after 2010 was exceptional and many of those fighters will be inducted to the hall of fame, but people still claim that Mayweather for example had it easy because there aren't hard fights out there. Mosley, De La Hoya, Cotto, Marquez etc would have been brilliant in any era and people will probably wax lyrical over them in 20 years time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvoboy View Post
Sorry to make a completely pedantic point, but he needs 3 out of the other 10 to get a draw. 2 x 10-9s and 2 x 10-8s would give him a lead of 6 points with 4 rounds scored, so if the other fighter wins the other 8 rounds he'd lose. 3 rounds would give him a lead of 7 with 7 other rounds to score.
You're much better at adding than I am. Regardless, I don't feel that Fury has a case for 'robbery'.

est1892 > General > General Sports