It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > General Football

Old 16-08-06, 01:41 PM   #1
ronan
Dalglish

Gareth Bale

so anybody actually seen this young lad play aside from highlights, looks another good prospect from the saints academy
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 16-08-06, 01:44 PM   #2
paulcooper4
Hodgsoned

no doubt some daft cockney club will blow about 10 million on him
paulcooper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-06, 03:07 PM   #3
PTP
Passion for fire alarms or extinguishers?

no not seen him play other than his freekicks - I'd be more excited if we were linked with christian bale.
Old 16-08-06, 03:09 PM   #4
PTP

Old 16-08-06, 03:58 PM   #5
red g
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTP
no not seen him play other than his freekicks - I'd be more excited if we were linked with christian bale.
Yeh Batman would definitely do a job for us!!

Those 2 freekicks wereboth class, apparently he is better than Wayne Bridge at the same age
red g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-06, 04:01 PM   #6
paulcooper4
Hodgsoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by red g
apparently he is better than Wayne Bridge at the same age
so is my west highland terrier though
paulcooper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-06, 10:07 AM   #7
Taffy
Est's Devon Loch

Gareth Bale looks a great little prospect and his two free kicks in the two opening games this season have been quality.

He's played for the Welsh U-21 and will probably progress to the national squad as the season progresses. He's rated very highly by the Southampton people.
Taffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-06, 11:19 AM   #8
Joey Jones
Oh Joey, Joey!

I saw George Burley on Sky a few weeks back and he said that Bale is the only left back at the club. So if he stays fit he’ll probably play throughout the season for them. He’s had a great start to his career considering that he’s just turned seventeen. If he continues to progress Premiership clubs will definitely take a look at him.

Brian Flynn (Wales U-21’s manager) has been quoted as describing Bale as a ‘Rolls Royce of a full back’!!!!!!
Old 18-08-06, 11:29 AM   #9
JermainePennant
Evans

I heard someone talking about how good a prospect he is on the radio and he said clubs like Liverpool are looking at him,maybe the scout who came here from southampton told rafa about him.
JermainePennant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-06, 12:13 PM   #10
Taffy
Est's Devon Loch

We've been linked with him a few times before mate, and I'm sure we're all clued up with him now that we've got that bloke of theirs on our books too!

Problem is we're full of left sided players now ain't we, and should be fine for a good few years!
Taffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-15, 05:41 PM   #11
Tee
El Pistolero

Random bored at work BUMP.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcooper4 View Post
no doubt some daft cockney club will blow about 10 million on him

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTP View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by red g View Post
apparently he is better than Wayne Bridge at the same age
Old 22-01-15, 05:48 PM   #12
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-15, 05:59 PM   #13
Mike
Hip Flask Hater

Jesus
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-15, 06:12 PM   #14
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Scouting fails
Old 22-01-15, 06:12 PM   #15
dom9
Ant Pisser

TBF, that was probably before he got good. He was a left back, no?

If I recall correctly, Spurs didn't record a single win in his first 24 games for them.
Old 22-01-15, 06:13 PM   #16
dom9
Ant Pisser

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gareth_...tenham_Hotspur

Quote:
2009–10 season

In June 2009, Bale underwent surgery for a knee injury, ruling him out for over 2 months. He missed pre-season matches and it was projected that he would miss the first few weeks of the 2009–10 season.[47] On 26 September, he made his comeback as an 85th minute substitute in Tottenham's 5–0 thrashing of Burnley. This was Bale's first ever involvement in a Premier League win, after playing a record 24 league matches for Spurs without being on the winning side.
Old 22-01-15, 06:25 PM   #17
Liverpool
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post
TBF, that was probably before he got good. He was a left back, no?

If I recall correctly, Spurs didn't record a single win in his first 24 games for them.
I think they tried to offload plus cash for Downing.
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-15, 07:53 PM   #18
PTP

I stand by that....I'd still rather have batman
Old 08-02-15, 03:09 PM   #19
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

'Disaster'. 'Irrelevant'. 'Listless'. The Spanish Sunday papers did not make happy reading for Gareth Bale.

Real Madrid were hammered 4-0 by rampant local rivals Atletico on Saturday afternoon, and it was one of those occasions when they were lucky to get nil.

The performance of Bale and the rest of his colleagues will go down in infamy alongside an embarrassing 5-0 loss against Barcelona in November 2010.

After such an abysmal display even the usually-loyal Madrid media are on the attack and Bale, signed from Tottenham for a world record £85m in September 2014, is one of their targets.
'He's just watching….a spectator'

Real boss Carlo Ancelotti was unsparing in his criticism of his team after their heaviest derby defeat since a 5-0 loss in 1947.

"It was bad. Very bad," he admitted. "Atletico deserved to win in every aspect: desire, quality, organisation, second balls, aerial balls. We didn't have a single player who had a good game."

That damning verdict was universally shared by fans and pundits after an embarrassingly one-sided encounter. The Champions League holders failed to register a single shot on target until the 81st minute.

Bale won the Champions League and Spanish Cup in his first season.
Bale received more than his share of the blame, with former Liverpool and Republic of Ireland striker Michael Robinson, who is now Spain's foremost television pundit, strongly criticising the Welshman after his opposing full-back Guilherme Siqueira set up Atletico's second goal.

"He's just watching….a spectator," lamented Robinson as the replays showed Bale ambling back while Siqueira skipped to the byeline without a care in the world and delivered a cross for Saul to acrobatically volley home.

To suggest his performance was ineffective would be an understatement. Bale had 44 touches of the ball, completed only 22 passes and had no shots on target. He made just one successful cross, conceded three free-kicks and - crucially against a combative team like Atletico - did not make any successful tackles.

He was described as 'a defensive disaster' by tabloid newspaper AS, who also said the Welshman was 'irrelevant'. Its writers could not bring themselves to hand him a rating in their match report. Only Toni Kroos, Fabio Coentrao and Nacho Fernandez were given the distinction of 1 out of 3, with every other player was simply left blank.

Another paper, Marca, was slightly more generous, giving Bale 4.5 out of 10 - making him the team's joint 'best' player alongside Kroos and Dani Carvajal. However Marca's writers also described him as 'listless' and left little doubt that this game did nothing to bolster Bale's reputation in Spain, which is currently somewhat in need of a boost.
Accusations of selfishness

More worryingly for Bale, this is not the first time in recent weeks that he has faced criticism.
The former Tottenham and Southampton man has been accused of selfishness on several occasions so far this calendar year after getting into good positions but failing to pass to colleagues.

Most noticeably, Cristiano Ronaldo showed his displeasure on the pitch after Bale shot wide when he could have teed up his teammate with an open goal during the latter stages of a home win over Espanyol in January.
BBC
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-15, 03:36 PM   #20
Trippendicular
Fagan

Not that I care for Bale, but Ronaldo had an equally abject game and I doubt he'll be targeted the same way.

Cristiano Ronaldo's game by numbers vs. Atletico Madrid: 0 goals, 0 chances created, 0 take-ons completed, 0 crosses completed, 0 shots on target, 70% pass accuracy.
Trippendicular is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 08-02-15, 06:07 PM   #21
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

He's been there longer than September 2014 surely?
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-15, 06:13 PM   #22
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbs View Post
He's been there longer than September 2014 surely?
it's a bbc error should be Sep 2013 ....i'd ask for a refund
Old 08-02-15, 06:20 PM   #23
-V-
Paisley

He's wasted out wide. His best form for Spurs was when he was playing down the middle. He's got pace and acceleration to pick the ball up centrally and run with it through the heart of a teams defence or drag defenders wide.

Instead Madrid have him on the touchline with limited options
-V- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-15, 06:20 PM   #24
rodo
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippendicular View Post
Not that I care for Bale, but Ronaldo had an equally abject game and I doubt he'll be targeted the same way.

Cristiano Ronaldo's game by numbers vs. Atletico Madrid: 0 goals, 0 chances created, 0 take-ons completed, 0 crosses completed, 0 shots on target, 70% pass accuracy.
exactly ronaldo even went on the piss after it
Old 08-02-15, 06:25 PM   #25
Robbie-9-Fowler
Shankly

Hopefully United spunk a larger chunk of their budget on him whilst moving De Gea the other way.

Not that he isn't class but that De Gea is their best player
Old 21-10-15, 12:30 PM   #26
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Never has he been popular with the Real Madrid fans or media.....
Real Madrid editor Tomas Roncero of Spanish sports daily AS wrote: "The injury to Bale is a real irritant to every proper Madrid fan.

"Where it’s bad luck we’ll always support a player so that they recover as quickly as possible. But you have mocked Real Madrid because you have prioritised your national team over the club that pays you.

“Be patriotic, love your country, but if you are already qualified you don’t need to go to the party against Andorra, and play 90 minutes on top of that. It’s inadmissible for a Real Madrid player."

Newspaper columnist Manu Sainz called Bale’s decision “a lack of respect” whilst journalist Roberto Morales said the decision to play against Andorra was “an act of total irresponsibility”.
LINK
Old 21-10-15, 12:38 PM   #27
Mike
Hip Flask Hater

Bale with Wales, Suarez with Uruguay and Sanchez with Chile.

Player picks country of birth over team they've been at for two years, shocker. Nowadays you really can't win with the media.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-15, 12:39 PM   #28
Alex
Administrator

Madrid fans have to be some of the most demanding in Europe.
Old 21-10-15, 12:46 PM   #29
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

He does appear at least to try harder for Wales than he does for Real, he's become a right lazy cunt for them now but damn, their sense of entitlement is fucking horrible. It was the first time they'd qualified in zillions of years and they could still win the group anyway, of course they were going to play him and why shouldnt they?

Theres no guarantees at all that Wales beat Andorra without Bale either! They only won 2-0 and 1-2 with him and he scored 3 of those 4 goals!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-15, 10:08 PM   #30
EwarWoo
Paisley

Wonder if they'd have the same issues if he played for Spain.
EwarWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-15, 10:29 PM   #31
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Madrid fans are ridiculous
Old 09-01-16, 10:19 PM   #32
Irishnev
Shankly

I do think he is a flat track bully who doesn't deliver at the very highest level but these are some numbers from Bale:

Attachment 3012

Last edited by Irishnev; 01-02-16 at 09:18 AM.
Irishnev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-16, 10:32 PM   #33
danperkins

I think he's a sensational player. He's been absolutely flying lately.
Old 09-01-16, 11:06 PM   #34
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by danperkins View Post
Hyperbole.

Flying Bale?
Old 09-01-16, 11:56 PM   #35
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by danperkins View Post
I've read your thoughts on him and I think he is effective but he goes missing in the very biggest games for Madrid. Yes he did get that wonder goal vs Barca in the cup final and the 2 yard header vs Atletico in the CL final but I have watched him closely in the classicos are other big La Liga games and I don't think he is up to it technically.

The open nature of the PL suits him and his physical attributes rather than the more technical La Liga games. He is a real flat track bully and could be the differentiator for United if they signed him, hard to beat and get the ball to Bale to shoot on sight.

He is good but not top level good,

Messi.....Ronaldo.......Suarez, Neymar, Iniesta, Lahm, Alaba + more. Bale would be in the level below them with Hazard, Benzema and more.
Irishnev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-16, 02:23 AM   #36
danperkins

Yeah I agree he's in that bracket below Ronaldo, Messi & Suarez. I'd put him in that second tier. A bit of a flat track bully and struggled at times last season but he's a class player IMO.
Old 10-01-16, 12:51 PM   #37
Exiled_red
Paisley

I don't really watch Spanish football so only really see him in the European games but he seems to be doing well there, and the numbers are fantastic 50 goals in 108 games (just less than 1 in 2) for Madrid is a great record for a midfielder and I think his numbers were similar in his last couple of years at Spurs. I think based on that return and that he has been doing it for the last 4-5 years you have to say he is a top player, not at the Messi and Ronaldo level but few are.
Old 10-01-16, 01:12 PM   #38
RichC
Meh

He's a very good player; pace, power and goals the sort of thing we're crying out for.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-16, 01:29 PM   #39
Robbie-9-Fowler
Shankly

He's a brilliant player suffering from moving to Madrid and being compared to Ronaldo at every turn, something he's never going to be able to live up to.

He was moved centrally, at the request of the board it seems and struggled to adjust at first but it seems like Madrid wanted to literally build their team around him.

He has however became pretty lazy in his play, something negative he's picked up from Ronaldo possibly expecting he only has to contribute in the attacking 1/3. A problem Madrid have had for as long as I can remember now, they're a team of individuals and can't seem to form a team bond, sacking a manager like Rafa who would look to remedy that overtime shows they have no interest in changing.

Bale is below Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez and Neymar. And for me when fit Robben.

He's a better player than Hazard though.
Old 21-01-16, 01:22 PM   #40
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

LINK

"I think if we have the option to sign him - why not?" said Pochettino. "He's a great player and a player that can improve our squad."

Last edited by Bender; 21-01-16 at 01:51 PM.

est1892 > Football > General Football