It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 10-04-08, 12:42 PM   #41
zimbo
Dalglish

In other news, it's nice to see The Nature Boy's keeping himself busy.

http://ricflairfinance.com/
zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 10-04-08, 03:23 PM   #42
PTP
Passion for fire alarms or extinguishers?

what ever happened to the good ol fashioned finishing moves.

The plain and simple DDT - that was usual ineffective by everyone, yet when Jake the Snake did it, it was gem over.

Or the hulks leg drop - no more, no less just a plain old leg drop haha

Oh and the greatest finishing move of all time ever - the Doomsday Device - end off
Old 10-04-08, 03:29 PM   #43
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

I remember back in the day, didn't the fatties like Big Daddy and Earthquake just fall on their "opponent", surely they're the best!
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1
Rich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-08, 03:33 PM   #44
PTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacodemon View Post
I remember back in the day, didn't the fatties like Big Daddy and Earthquake just fall on their "opponent", surely they're the best!
ay indeed - the natural diasters earthquake and typhoon - drag their lifeless opponents into the middle of the ring and just sit on them for the three count!
Old 10-04-08, 03:48 PM   #45
Imy
Jalebi Cook

The Piledriver, now that was a move, outlawed now in the WWE due to the amount of real broken necks it caused.

Old 10-04-08, 04:04 PM   #46
Scratch
If you fail once....

Strange, 'taker still does his Tombstone Piledriver now?

He did stop it at one point, heard a rumour that it was more to do with the stress it was putting on his knees??
Old 10-04-08, 04:11 PM   #47
Imy
Jalebi Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
Strange, 'taker still does his Tombstone Piledriver now?

He did stop it at one point, heard a rumour that it was more to do with the stress it was putting on his knees??
He and very occasionally Kane are allowed to do it, Undertaker is a trusted veteran and thus allowed to do so. You will notice no other wrestlers do the move in the WWE now, back in the day almost all the wrestlers had the move as part of the repertoire, people like Owen Hart and Paul Orndorf spring to mind.
Old 10-04-08, 05:33 PM   #48
rob_247
Evans

Yeah Taker is aloud to pull the tombstone out everynow and again, partly because once he lines it up he can be sure that the persons head is above his knees so won't hit the floor, well unless he slips....
On the subject of pile drivers and finishers - you can't beat the Canadian Destroyer
rob_247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-08, 07:20 PM   #49
Imy
Jalebi Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_247 View Post
Yeah Taker is aloud to pull the tombstone out everynow and again, partly because once he lines it up he can be sure that the persons head is above his knees so won't hit the floor, well unless he slips....
On the subject of pile drivers and finishers - you can't beat the Canadian Destroyer
The candian destroyer is a awesome move, in the wwe they dont showcase moves like that, the finisher paul london used 2 employ the twisting splash was quite the site, outlawed that too
Old 10-04-08, 07:35 PM   #50
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imy View Post
He and very occasionally Kane are allowed to do it, Undertaker is a trusted veteran and thus allowed to do so. You will notice no other wrestlers do the move in the WWE now, back in the day almost all the wrestlers had the move as part of the repertoire, people like Owen Hart and Paul Orndorf spring to mind.
I'm pretty sure Kane stopped with the Piledrivers a while back because his knees were utterly fucked.
Old 10-04-08, 08:55 PM   #51
Joe King
Hodgsoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTP View Post
ay indeed - the natural diasters earthquake and typhoon - drag their lifeless opponents into the middle of the ring and just sit on them for the three count!
Like Yokozuna and Rikishi
Joe King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-08, 11:41 PM   #52
Matt
Happy-go-Lucky

Kidman's shooting star thingy was quality
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-08, 11:48 PM   #53
Joe King
Hodgsoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Kidman's shooting star thingy was quality
That was brilliant. Especially in the Filthy Animals.

What was Rey Mysterio's finisher in WCW? It wasn't the 619 and the West Coast Pop because they seem to be new ones.
Old 10-04-08, 11:51 PM   #54
Joe King
Hodgsoned

http://i13.tinypic.com/29qjc6b.gif
Old 10-04-08, 11:58 PM   #55
Matt
Happy-go-Lucky

Tequila sunrise?
Old 11-04-08, 12:09 AM   #56
Scratch
If you fail once....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tover View Post
Jeff Hardy

Swanton Bomb...the guy knows no fear!
Old 11-04-08, 12:17 AM   #57
Joe King
Hodgsoned

Quote:
Tequila sunrise?
Tequila sunrise was Konnan's finisher.
Old 11-04-08, 12:02 PM   #58
Matt
Happy-go-Lucky

Fair enough. No idea then.
Old 11-04-08, 12:35 PM   #59
Joe King
Hodgsoned

Ah ha, now I remember.

Rey Rey did the Tornado DDT or a hurricanrana as his finisher in WCW
Old 12-04-08, 10:44 PM   #60
denny ammo
Evans

Quote:

Jim Ross would go spastic.

"OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!! "
I believe it's called Bell's Palsy.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 12-04-08, 10:56 PM   #61
the rev leeroy brown
It's unbelievable Jeff!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r44ijkmHAJc
Old 13-04-08, 12:03 AM   #62
Joe King
Hodgsoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny ammo View Post
I believe it's called Bell's Palsy.
Old 13-04-08, 02:44 AM   #63
tommyg
Dalglish

Yeah its funny when someone people have "special moves" that others will do 3-4 times a fight lol.

Bring back Rikishi!
Old 16-04-08, 06:30 PM   #64
Dr Evil
Evans

did anyone else see Raw this week.....as they were panning round the UK crowd at the beginning of the show there was all the usual HBK, Y2J, HHH signs etc....then it went past a guy in a Liverpool shirt holding up a TORRES sign
Dr Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-08, 07:41 PM   #65
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Evil View Post
did anyone else see Raw this week.....as they were panning round the UK crowd at the beginning of the show there was all the usual HBK, Y2J, HHH signs etc....then it went past a guy in a Liverpool shirt holding up a TORRES sign
Old 16-04-08, 07:42 PM   #66
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyg View Post
Yeah its funny when someone people have "special moves" that others will do 3-4 times a fight lol.

Bring back Rikishi!
Whats even funnier is when Ray Mystereo misses about 99% of his moves. I've honestly never seen a wrestler miss / botch more moves than Mystereo.

He is quite literally gash.

Last edited by spud_gun; 16-04-08 at 07:53 PM.
spud_gun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-08, 11:46 PM   #67
zimbo
Dalglish

Me and my two lads are off to Sheffield to see Smackdown tomorrow.

Pray for my soul.
Old 17-04-08, 12:16 AM   #68
Joe King
Hodgsoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbo View Post
Me and my two lads are off to Sheffield to see Smackdown tomorrow.

Pray for my soul.
What a waste of money.

waits for MrM to announce TNA's UK tour.
Old 17-04-08, 10:05 AM   #69
PTP

MRM......MRM.........MRM............oh MRMICHAEL..........................

I watched TNA Lockdown last night on Bravo as fuck else on.

Fuck me it was class, miles better than anything i have seen on wwf/e for years and years. I was just flicking through, i don't know any of the wrestlers or storylines yet I was completley gripped by it. some quality matches - have you seen it!
Old 17-04-08, 10:27 AM   #70
Jayesh87
You can't see me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
Whats even funnier is when Ray Mystereo misses about 99% of his moves. I've honestly never seen a wrestler miss / botch more moves than Mystereo.

He is quite literally gash.
I like his entry music
Old 17-04-08, 10:31 AM   #71
Joe King
Hodgsoned

Quote:

Fuck me it was class, miles better than anything i have seen on wwf/e for years and years. I was just flicking through, i don't know any of the wrestlers or storylines yet I was completley gripped by it. some quality matches - have you seen it!
I agree, the quality of matches are better but the storylines need to improve rapidly if they are to capitalise on the shitness of the WWE.
Old 17-04-08, 11:15 AM   #72
redmacca
Houllier

yea he did do the sharpshooter, i wasnt tryin to say the rock did the cloverleaf, i just wanted to say smell what the rock is cookin lol
redmacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-08, 10:50 AM   #73
zimbo
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tover View Post
What a waste of money.

waits for MrM to announce TNA's UK tour.

Santa paid, so it's all fine.

Having only watched this stuff for about 18 months, when my youngest lad started getting in to it, I am blissfully free of wrestling snobbery, and still hold the likes of Mick McManus, Giant Haystacks and the redskin 'grip and grapple' merchant Johnny Cougar from the Tiger as my major reference points.

So, having been forced to quickly get up to speed with the labyrinthine back-stories of the likes of John Cena, Shawn Michaels, Edge and assorted McMahons, I have to say that I found the prospect of seeing a load of greased-up show-offs in small rubber pants strangely appealing.

I wasn't disappointed. It was a rare treat. Although I would say that, for me, the wrestling itself is often fairly uninteresting, unless they're chucking themselves around like pilled-up orung-utans (which, if you think about it.......).

So, we got Morrison informing us that Sheffield was the poorest place in Britain while he was incredibly rich and famous, MVP providing the halitosis-riddled English with instructions on how to clean your teeth, Batista, Finlay and Hornswoggle soaking the Edge-heads, the ref and the crowd with water guns, Big Show knocking the Great Khali out of the ring and The Undertaker pulling the Tombstone Piledriver on Edge.

Was it sport? Was it chuff. Was it a good night out? Hell,yeah.

In fact, that's it for me. You can keep your Torres and your Stevie G. When I grow up, I'm getting me some of those little rubber pants and heading for the top rope.

You can't see me (waves hand in front of face)......
Old 18-04-08, 11:26 AM   #74
Joe King
Hodgsoned

Bought into the bad entertainment aspect that is the poor World 'Wrestling' Entertainment. Saying that, I do find the British crowd to be very indifferent compared to the normal US crowds with the exception of the East Coast (New York, Philly, Detroit) who seem to be the most intelligent and hardcore of fans who don't buy into the crap that McMahon seems to get the little kids and women roped in with.

As you probably can sense from my tone, I am more a critic of WWE and McMahon more than a supporter. I find his product so frustrating as there is massive potential to become the most viewed programme on satellite and cable like WCW in the late 90s however with the constant politics and pig headed stubborness, we don't get to see a marvellous show with proper wrestling with proper submissions and proper holds with a story being told throughout the match (I would refer to Michaels-Flair as the one of the best in recent times)

Instead, the WWE clowns feel it would be better to stuff 'entertainment' shows down our throats in order to become an entertainment show instead of a wrestling show which essentially is what it is. I get the feeling, wrestling is a dirty word for McMahon. Maybe he feels if he can use the word 'Superstars' instead of 'wrestlers' to describe his roster would increase his audience and his profits will sore. Has that happened? Well over the past 8or so years since the WWE became a PLC, their shares are worth $3 more compared to 2000.

I know I sound like a grumpy romantic who has the idea that a wrestling show should contain good wrestling matches but what McMahon brings to the table, takes the biscuit. Gone the days of AWA, NWA wrestling classics, gone the days of wrestling at its best in the late 80s and 90s with WWF, WCW competing for top dog and ECW as the cool, underground wrestling scene with fresh ideas with not only good matches but great storylines (something the WWE creative team lack)

Maybe it hasn't been the best of years for the WWE with deaths, federal court cases, drugs in the game (not HHH, although he looks to pumped for his own good) but I think it might be time for McMahon to go back to the drawing board and look at which wrestlers are good and fit enough for his brand, not just big pumped up bodybuilders. He needs to find that edge again in the wrestling business, he had it in the 90s with the Attitude era which was 'cutting edge' however, here's an idea, maybe a show where the wrestlers were individual characters, get rid of this silly brand extention which proves nothing now because wrestlers are more or less on each others shows making feuds, maybe throw in a few stables and managers (flashback of the great Bobby Heenan) and get some real good feuds between two wrestlers not just something to throw for the end of month PPV because that is just sick and unfair.

That is all. Reply if you felt I was unfair to Msrs McMahon and Levesque.
Old 18-04-08, 12:46 PM   #75
zimbo
Dalglish

See, I know it's likely to horrify the wrestling purists (if that's not an oxymoron) but I'm not bothered by the 'technical' aspects of the wrestlers' performance or whether its integrity has declined. I just like to see a funny midget nutting an oversized oaf in the knackers.

The only reason I'd watch it (apart from to keep a rabid 8 year old happy) is because it's sometimes good entertainment and is a bit of a laugh. I don't necessarily think ther's anything wrong with that, although I could see why someone who's followed its development for the last 20 years or whatever may be a bit miffed. Also, going on the composition of the audience last night, I'd say that a large proportion of its support is made up of kids, therefore more of the storylines will be targetted at the younger end. And I would imagine that many of the older followers first got a taste for it when they were nippers themselves, so it seems a tad hypocritical for them to be sniffy about the influx of pre-teen Mysterio botherers.

I wouldn't even start to offer a moral or political critique of the whole shebang as I'd be here all day. Suffice to say that I find many of the accompanying cultural undertones highly questionable, with its promotion of testosterone-heavy machoism, unashamed sexism, xenophopia, racial and nationalistic stereotyping, and occasional celebration of militarism and American imperial aggression. And it is, by necessity, hilariously homoerotic, but in many ways that just adds to the fun.

I just choose not to take it at all seriously, because if I did I'd be crying myself to sleep for months. Ultimately, I suppose I watch because, just sometimes, I like it when my brain goes sloshy and falls out of my ear.
Old 18-04-08, 11:25 PM   #76
Joe King
Hodgsoned

Quote:
And I would imagine that many of the older followers first got a taste for it when they were nippers themselves, so it seems a tad hypocritical for them to be sniffy about the influx of pre-teen Mysterio botherers.
I will admit I was a fan of the lucha libre wrestlers when I was younger however I was brought up with the stories about Ricky Steamboat, Ric Flair, Sting and started to watch these lot before the Mexican invasion in the mid-90s but I do understand your point.

Quote:
I wouldn't even start to offer a moral or political critique of the whole shebang as I'd be here all day. Suffice to say that I find many of the accompanying cultural undertones highly questionable, with its promotion of testosterone-heavy machoism, unashamed sexism, xenophopia, racial and nationalistic stereotyping, and occasional celebration of militarism and American imperial aggression.
I totally agree. Saluting the American flag, dismissing other countries unless they are already in the countries and they will probably get one of the divas to dress in the flags which slaps stupidity on their behalf but I could be here all day looking at the stupid mistakes the WWE have made.
Old 19-04-08, 05:49 AM   #77
MrMichael
The Pun Police

Quote:

You rang?

Its loads better isn't it?

To be completely honest I was a tiny bit disappointed in Lockdown, it wasn't quite as good as the last couple of events they've put on. The x-division match especially was good, but I was disappointed it wasn't amazing. Angle v Samoa Joe was obviously good, although to be honest the cage setting wasn't as well utilised as it could have been, and the team battle thing was cheeky in parts (AJ Styles has excellent timing), but it was mostly built around that ladder on top of the cage stunt. Overall it was decent from TNA, and obviously better than wwe, but they can do better.

I also just noticed how its really a bit of a late wcw reunion over there; Scott Steiner, Dustin Rhodes, BookerT, Kevin Nash, Sting. Jeff Jarrett.... I'm just waiting for Goldberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbo
I just choose not to take it at all seriously, because if I did I'd be crying myself to sleep for months. Ultimately, I suppose I watch because, just sometimes, I like it when my brain goes sloshy and falls out of my ear.
And I must face the men I slew.
What tale shall serve me here among
Mine angry and defrauded young?

Last edited by MrMichael; 19-04-08 at 06:17 AM.
MrMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-08, 11:54 AM   #78
Jayesh87
You can't see me!

Kelly Kelly
Old 19-04-08, 04:02 PM   #79
Imy
Jalebi Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Milkman View Post
Kelly Kelly
She was on soccer am this morning