It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 01-06-12, 10:31 AM   #81
Alex
Administrator

What the fuck can we speculate on now!!
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 01-06-12, 10:32 AM   #82
Daniel 7
Heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Players!
Daniel 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 10:32 AM   #83
Rowan
Shankly

Quote:
Stadium innit
Old 01-06-12, 10:32 AM   #84
Alex
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel 7 View Post
Players!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Stadium innit
I was getting worried.
Old 01-06-12, 10:34 AM   #85
kingfunk
Doesnt subscribe to Craig's conspiracy theories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el matador View Post
He has balls and big ones at that.

Dof issue. Wow.
Yip, sounded like he was firing a warning shot. I like him.
Old 01-06-12, 10:34 AM   #86
-V-
Paisley

Will be interesting to see who the support team is. We need to target the best young players from around europe so its essential we get a big name who can help bring them in.

But im excited about seeing some good pass and move football next season
-V- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 10:35 AM   #87
Fierce
I'm only the bassist

Could anyone link me to the press conf once its finished? Ie if its been recorded somewhere that someone knows of? Couldn't get .tv to work
Old 01-06-12, 10:35 AM   #88
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Balague has just twittered
As much as anything, as a young and relatively inexperienced manager with a barca type philosophy, he'd be fucking nuts not to jump at the chance to work with him.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 10:36 AM   #89
kris90210
Shankly

Refused to rule out raiding Swansea as well. That speaks volumes. Could see us going for Allen
Old 01-06-12, 10:36 AM   #90
Robbie-9-Fowler
Shankly

Impressive the way he came across.. Ayre basically talking in knots and Rodgers put us straight.

Now.. Sign Sigurdsson please or off with your head.
Old 01-06-12, 10:37 AM   #91
Robbie-9-Fowler
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris90210 View Post
Refused to rule out raiding Swansea as well. That speaks volumes. Could see us going for Allen
He's not exactly going to say.. "Yeah we can't buy anyone from them"

Or

"That's not true, I want x,y and z"
Old 01-06-12, 10:40 AM   #92
Icon
Beside the seaside...

Welcome...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AuS23WOCQAAJkNM.jpg (35.2 KB, 89 views)
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 10:40 AM   #93
kris90210
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie-9-Fowler View Post
He's not exactly going to say.. "Yeah we can't buy anyone from them"

Or

"That's not true, I want x,y and z"
I guess. Something about the way he said it made me think he'll want to bring a player or two from there.
Old 01-06-12, 10:41 AM   #94
Drew Peacock
Souness

Loving him already - I'm getting a bit of a touch on...
Drew Peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 10:41 AM   #95
Phoenix07
The Normal One

Enjoyed that press conference, even if it was a little short. Rodgers clearly doesn't take any nonsense.

Looking forward to future interviews with LFC TV where hopefully, he'll expand on what he's said.

I can't believe Werner mentioned Mourinho in his little introduction. Small time stuff there.

Now I'm intrigued about the men above working around him.
Phoenix07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 10:44 AM   #96
baronvonskidmark
Benitez

Must say that Brendan Rodgers came across as hugely impressive in the way he handled himself. I really think that we have got the right guy. It was interesting to note that, despite multiple opportunities to do so, he refused to rule out signing players from Swansea. This might be just down to an unwillingness to refuse signing players from any club, but I got the impression that we will probably see some players coming from Swansea.

I thought that Ayre was not so impressive and I think that it was telling that Brendan (yes, we are on first name terms!) felt the need to clarify the whole structural situation, even though Ayre had quite a few opportunities to do so. This might be me being paranoid, but Ayre's answers seemed almost muddled to me, though perhaps that's not quite the right word. I hope Ayre just didn't express himself as clearly as he would have liked and there is not the potential for conflict or delays in making decisions.

Overall though I really feel that we have hired the right man to manage our club. Well chuffed!
baronvonskidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 10:47 AM   #97
Lee
Chunder camel

I like this guy.

Completely changed my opinion of him over the last week or so. Cautiously optimistic. Looking forward to next season now.
Old 01-06-12, 10:47 AM   #98
kris90210
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix06 View Post
Enjoyed that press conference, even if it was a little short. Rodgers clearly doesn't take any nonsense.

Looking forward to future interviews with LFC TV where hopefully, he'll expand on what he's said.

I can't believe Werner mentioned Mourinho in his little introduction. Small time stuff there.

Now I'm intrigued about the men above working around him.
No big deal, in my opinion
Old 01-06-12, 10:49 AM   #99
Muddled
Meat Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I like this guy.

Completely changed my opinion of him over the last week or so. Cautiously optimistic. Looking forward to next season now.
+1.

Liking the cut of his jib.
Muddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 10:52 AM   #100
Vermilion
Shooterista

Quote:
No big deal, in my opinion
No big deal, but no need to qualify the appointment by name dropping either. imo.

Werner is an odd one really, for someone that's spent his life in tv/media, he comes across quite nervous when speaking. Suppose that comes from the topic being out of his comfort zone though.

Did he say Tagtics instead of Tactics by the way ?

Last edited by Vermilion; 01-06-12 at 10:55 AM.
Vermilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 01-06-12, 10:52 AM   #101
yamiedo
Dalglish

Anyone going to post this press conference later? I'm at work right now
yamiedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 10:54 AM   #102
Muddled
Meat Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdmackay View Post
Anyone going to post this press conference later? I'm at work right now
Two ticks mate ...

It won't be the actual press conference, but there's an interview on the official.

Last edited by Muddled; 01-06-12 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-06-12, 10:55 AM   #103
magicalbarnes
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by red g View Post
Roberto Martinez 10/11
Rafael Benite 11/4
Frank Rijkaard 7
Andre Villas-Boas 16
Brendan Rodgers 16
Paul Lambert 16
Marcelo Bielsa 16
Sami Hyypia 20
Harry Redknapp 20
Roberto Di Matteo 25 Didier Deschamps 25
Jupp Heyncke 16
Jose Mourinho 25
Chris Hughton 25
Carlo Ancelotti 25
Bob Bradley 33

Lets just hope the Bookies have got this wrong again
Wish id stuck a tenner on!
magicalbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 10:56 AM   #104
Muddled
Meat Shield

Rodgers: The first LFC interview

How do you feel to be the new manager of this famous football club?

As you can imagine, I am very proud and feel very blessed to be appointed today. It's obviously a club with an incredible tradition and history and I'm very, very proud and honoured to be appointed manager.

How excited are you by the owners' plans and visions for the future?

I suppose I first of all want to mention Kenny Dalglish, who is an incredible man. He's obviously the best player in the history of this football club and he's someone who adored Liverpool. He has nursed the club through some horrific times and also brought a lot of joy to the supporters here both as a player and a manager. He is someone I want to pay a great respect to because he's a wonderful ambassador for this football club. But I'm a different tactician, a different man. The owners are very excited and looking forward, and obviously they wanted to bring someone in who could keep with the traditions of Liverpool Football Club, which is to play offensive and attacking football, and also someone to represent the values of the club off the field, and that's something I will defend for my life.

How difficult was it to leave Swansea?

It was very difficult. I always said I'd leave Swansea City one day but I felt it was only going to be for a top club. I had a fantastic relationship with the chairman and the supporters and also we created history - we were the first Welsh club into the Barclays Premier League. But the attraction of coming to Liverpool is phenomenal. You only need to look at the fact they're five times European Cup winners. Some of the great players who've played for this club. I genuinely think Liverpool Football Club is the heartland of football folklore. If you look back through the years, at the players and managers. You go back to Toshack and Keegan, Rush and Dalglish, Hansen and Lawrenson, Shankly and Paisley. Then you have the modern day in terms of Gerrard and Carragher. It's a club that's so full of history and tradition and passion.

How would you describe your own football philosophy?

The philosophy is very much based on the attacking side of the game. People ask me that question and I always say it's about being offensive and creative, but also with tactical discipline. If you look at the Swansea team in the last couple of years they've been lauded for their offensive approach but defensively we've kept many clean sheets and we're up there with the top defensive records. That's the principles of this club. This is a club that's based on fast, attacking, offensive football. But I'll repeat - it's very important to have tactical discipline within that. Your philosophy and your principles will always be governed by the players. There is a fantastic squad here, some terrific players, but there is no doubt I'll need to make maybe two, three or four additions to try and get that flow - and it will take time to put that in place.

Who are the influences on your managerial career?

I have been a student of the game. I've been coaching and managing for 20 years and travelled a lot as a coach. I've been very clear in my philosophy and had a clear vision in that since I was very young. My grandfather was a big supporter of Liverpool, along with my father, so I watched the late 70s and early 80s football. Obviously the Cruyff philosophy was very prominent because my dad was a big lover of Cruyff. As you move into the coaching, my philosophy has been a fusion between the British and the European. The single biggest influence would be Jose Mourinho, purely because he gave me the opportunity. I learned many things from Jose. He is a great man and the biggest thing he did for me is give me an opportunity and show belief in me, and give me that chance to work with top players.

The style you had at Swansea - would you hope to deploy a similar one here at Liverpool or does that depend on the players?

The principles of your game depend on the players but certainly that's a vision that I would hopefully over the next few years (implement). It certainly won't happen in game one because there are different types of players here. But over time, that's the ideology - to play that way. One, it's my belief, and two, it's the belief of the supporters. They enjoy watching it, and that's one of the biggest attractions coming here. Liverpool supporters are very educated in the game. We were here with Swansea earlier in the season and their style of football got a round of applause at the end of the game. That doesn't happen very often at away grounds.

Do you need time to build that philosophy here?

You do. There is no doubt about that. I'm very much a realist. It's certainly going to be a few years in relation to where the team is at now. It will need some investment and it will need time for me to work. But of course we're in the business of winning and winning games is important. But it's a philosophy and a style that's very much in the DNA of me and the club and hopefully we can roll that out over the years to come.

What does Liverpool Football Club mean to you personally?

For me it means an awful lot. There is a real emotional attachment. I've had a number of opportunities to leave Swansea and I wasn't going to leave Swansea for any club, because of my life both professional and personal. But the attraction of the history here, and also the attraction of the frustrations - to feel the club are still striving for that league title. Hopefully over the coming years that's something we can look to challenge for. Certainly not immediately, there are still a lot of improvements to be made. This is an iconic football club. It's a club that's up there with the world's great. When you talk Liverpool Football Club you're talking Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Inter Milan, AC Milan. It's an enormous club. The challenge and the motivation is for me to do the best I possibly can and I will always fight for my life for Liverpool, and that will be on and off the field.

How excited are you about some of the players you will be working with here?

I'm really looking forward to it. I spoke to Steven Gerrard last night. That was fantastic, I had a nice chat with him. I have always worked well with people. To me, it's doesn't matter whether they're big stars or not, the club's success is the most important and every player I work with will have to be a part of the team. There are some wonderful talents. If you look at the likes of Steven; Jamie Carragher has been a wonderful player for this football club; you've got Pepe Reina, who's a top, world-class goalkeeper, and many other talents within the group. I always have a close relationship with players. I speak very openly and honestly with them so they know where they stand. I like to educate players. You train dogs, I like to educate players both on and off the field.

Early days, of course, but have you identified transfer targets?

Again, it's important to assess the group, but having watched Liverpool I've certainly got an idea what could improve., that's for sure?

And have you spoken to the owners about a transfer budget?

Yes. There is money to spend. We haven't got the wheelbarrow overflowing. It's not falling out over the edges but there is money to spend. There are some terrific players here and big talents and I want to help improve them as players and as people. There will be some additions to improve and improve our way of playing as well.

Supporters here are desperate to get back in the Champions League - is that your own aim?

It's an aim for every manager at a top club. That's the holy grail, but also, in time, we want to be challenging for the title. For me, and it's not going to be straight away because that's not realistic, winning the title is something we want to achieve. It's not just aiming for fourth place. The Champions League is fantastic and that's where this club wants to be. It's going to be a process and ultimately, hopefully, that will take us up towards the top of the league and challenging. That's where this club belongs.

Finally, what would your message to Liverpool supporters be?

I'd just like to say, I'm honoured and blessed to be your manager. All I can promise is I'll fight for my life for the club. My family will move to the area and we're really excited about moving to the city of Liverpool, getting to know the football club and the people of Liverpool. I will leave no stone unturned in my quest - and that quest will be relentless - to try and get Liverpool back on the map again as a successful football club.

Link: The Official
Old 01-06-12, 10:57 AM   #105
kris90210
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilion View Post
No big deal, but no need to qualify the appointment by name dropping either. imo.

Werner is an odd one really, for someone that's spent his life in tv/media, he comes across quite nervous when speaking. Suppose that comes from the topic being out of his comfort zone though.

Did he say Tagtics instead of Tactics by the way ?
yeah. He also pronounced Swansea, Swan Sea.
Old 01-06-12, 11:00 AM   #106
Macedonian_Red
Hodgsoned

Welcome to LFC, Buck ... You have some really big shoes to fill ... Lets hope that you will win many trophies for us in the coming years ... As long as you respect The Liverpool Way, you will always have our full support ...
Macedonian_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 11:01 AM   #107
badpiggy
Paisley

Ha! No fuckin mention of the scum in his list of football aristocrats? Did you notice that Mr. Ferguson, you buckfast-addled wanker???
Old 01-06-12, 11:07 AM   #108
Rix007
Houllier

Welcome BR - Can't wait for the new season to start ...
Old 01-06-12, 11:14 AM   #109
paulg
Dalglish

Mr Werner mentioned Rodgers appointment in conjunction with "relentless attacking football". that's the kind of philosophy I like to hear. As long as we don't become Newcastle under Keagan, I think these could be exciting times for us.
paulg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 11:16 AM   #110
BootRoom
Fagan

They didn't exactly clear up the confusion surrounding the makeup of the "continental style" management structure; Brendan's tone took a decidedly more serious and authoritarian tone when he said that he'd refuse to work with a DoF or Sporting Director.....I'm not sure I'd characterise that as the continental way of doing things
BootRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 11:20 AM   #111
saj
No sympathy

It turns out his nickname is Buck - true story.

I really believe Suso will now finally get a chance. If anyone has been listening to some of Bucks opinions of systems and players, Suso fits in perfectly more so than Raheem Sterling
Old 01-06-12, 11:20 AM   #112
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootRoom View Post
They didn't exactly clear up the confusion surrounding the makeup of the "continental style" management structure; Brendan's tone took a decidedly more serious and authoritarian tone when he said that he'd refuse to work with a DoF or Sporting Director.....I'm not sure I'd characterise that as the continental way of doing things
That comment from Rodgers seemed to contradict what Ayre said and it also contradicts what FSG said in their press release regarding the appointment
Old 01-06-12, 11:22 AM   #113
Alex
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecter View Post
That comment from Rodgers seemed to contradict what Ayre said and it also contradicts what FSG said in their press release regarding the appointment
Really? Im sure Ayre said there would be no DOF, but more of a team structure around Rodgers. No?
Old 01-06-12, 11:24 AM   #114
kris90210
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by saj View Post

I really believe Suso will now finally get a chance. If anyone has been listening to some of Bucks opinions of systems and players, Suso fits in perfectly more so than Raheem Sterling
I don't know about that. In what position?
Old 01-06-12, 11:27 AM   #115
The_weatherman
Smug

Quote:
Really? Im sure Ayre said there would be no DOF, but more of a team structure around Rodgers. No?
I understood it like that as well, then Rodgers clarified it and spoke of a technical group. If the manager is to be held responsible than the buck must stop with him!
The_weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 11:27 AM   #116
red g
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by badpiggy View Post
Ha! No fuckin mention of the scum in his list of football aristocrats? Did you notice that Mr. Ferguson, you buckfast-addled wanker???
Was just going to post the same thing

Weak willed, Wank or do they have a masterplan?

Think we have the answer..Klopp
red g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 11:28 AM   #117
Lecter
Nicked from elsewhere

Quote:
Unless I was dreaming Rodgers interrupted Ayre to say he wouldnt work with a DOF or a Sporting Director

Heres the key point from FSG's statement

Rodgers' primary focus will be the first team but he'll also work extensively in collaboration with the new football operations structure as the team adheres to the continental football Sporting Director model. Further details on this structure will be provided in due course.

Heres some others from twitter picking up the relevant discrepancies

TheFarm/PeterHooton ■@TheFarm2012
Interesting to see LFC have abandoned their 'Sporting Director' structure did they panic when both Martinez then Rodgers said no to it!

Tony Evans■@TonyEvansTimes
@TheFarm2012 No, no, no! There is a 'continental director of football structure'... just no 'director of football, per se'. Ayre said so.

@TheFarm2012 So it must be true!

richard askam■@richaskam
Particularly impressed with unambiguous way dealt with sporting director ?Told FSG wouldn't work under 1#lfc http://pic.twitter.com/miYf14E6

@TonyEvansTimes can u send a Powerpoint display of this structure its as if they are making it up as they go along- who r the football pple?

@TheFarm2012 'Making it up as they go along'? You'd never catch me saying that! Impressed by the boy Rodgers, though

"@TonyEvansTimes: 'Making it up as they go along'? You'd never catch me saying that! Impressed by the boy Rodgers tho > yeh I like his stare
Old 01-06-12, 11:29 AM   #118
saj
No sympathy

Quote:
I don't know about that. In what position?
It's just my opinion really. He's not suited to playing on the right wing, no way which he has done over the last year for the reserves. I think he needs to be moved back to midfield but not the "hole". I would say slightly deeper as he is an amazing passer. He could be like Joe Allen or like Alonso alongside Lucas. I hope he gets a few opportunities next season - he is stilll very young and I think he could be a first team regular in a couple of years.
Old 01-06-12, 11:31 AM   #119
red g
Paisley

How excited are you by the owners' plans and visions for the future?

I suppose I first of all want to mention Kenny Dalglish, who is an incredible man. He's obviously the best player in the history of this football club and he's someone who adored Liverpool. He has nursed the club through some horrific times and also brought a lot of joy to the supporters here both as a player and a manager. He is someone I want to pay a great respect to because he's a wonderful ambassador for this football club. But I'm a different tactician, a different man. The owners are very excited and looking forward, and obviously they wanted to bring someone in who could keep with the traditions of Liverpool Football Club, which is to play offensive and attacking football, and also someone to represent the values of the club off the field, and that's something I will defend for my life.

that is pure class. didnt have to mention it.

Weak willed, Wank or do they have a masterplan?

Think we have the answer..Klopp
red g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-12, 11:32 AM   #120
Molby
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by saj View Post

He was also known as Fudgie...

( i know a few lads who he grew up with around Carnlough, i live quite close to there...)

klopptastic !
Molby is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > General Football