It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 18-02-14, 11:49 AM   #1401
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
George Dobell ‏@GeorgeDobell1
Jonathan Trott is fine, btw, and will start the season for Warwickshire in The Parks.
Old 18-02-14, 11:53 AM   #1402
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Dobell reckons he's fighting fit and eager to play cricket again.
captainfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-14, 11:53 AM   #1403
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

George accepted my friend request on FB
Old 18-02-14, 12:23 PM   #1404
destinydude
Dalglish

Oh Brendon MCCullum scored a triple hundred in the third innings and we went on to draw a match which we should have won comfortably.

FFS Dhoni and his defensive captaincy when we should've shut them off. Entire 4t day we took 2 wickets. Their number 8 too scored a hundred
Old 18-02-14, 12:33 PM   #1405
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Me - Do you think Trotty will get back in the England side this summer? My favourite player I think we'll need his experience, especially now they've booted out KP.

George - Yeah, yeah. He's fine. They'd be insane not to pick him. But then it's insane not to pick KP so...

Old 19-02-14, 09:21 AM   #1406
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainfog View Post
Me - Do you think Trotty will get back in the England side this summer? My favourite player I think we'll need his experience, especially now they've booted out KP.

George - Yeah, yeah. He's fine. They'd be insane not to pick him. But then it's insane not to pick KP so...

Old 19-02-14, 09:22 AM   #1407
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

So what *was* wrong with Trott then? If he's "fine" already I dare say he wasn't suffering with proper depression/mental illness.
Old 19-02-14, 09:31 AM   #1408
Harv
Randy Marsh

Not a chance

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-14, 09:37 AM   #1409
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Not a chance
I'd owe you an apology too

It was widely reported at the time but something doesn't add up. Flower said he and the management team were aware that Trott had an ongoing problem that reared its head in Oz. But as I said if he's "fine" now something doesn't add up.
Old 19-02-14, 09:42 AM   #1410
EwarWoo
Paisley

http://www.mydr.com.au/mental-health/depression-q-and-a
Quote:
On average, an episode of major depression lasts 4 to 8 months, although this duration can be shortened by treatment
It was only speculation then and its only speculation now, but it is still quite plausible.

TBH think it's pointless speculation anyways, just glad he's better
EwarWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-14, 09:44 AM   #1411
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EwarWoo View Post
http://www.mydr.com.au/mental-health/depression-q-and-a

It was only speculation then and its only speculation now, but it is still quite plausible.

TBH think it's pointless speculation anyways, just glad he's better
Hmmm. It's not even three months since he flew home. And he's had a condition for years (that wasn't speculation - Flower and co confirmed it) but it's suddenly cleared up now? Don't buy it. But yeah, it *is* pointless speculating and delighted he's better and ready to come back.
Old 19-02-14, 09:51 AM   #1412
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

He's suffered from anxiety for years, he normally has a lid on it but it got out of hand in the winter and he just needed a couple of months to reset his head and sort his coping mechanisms out.
Old 19-02-14, 10:34 AM   #1413
Alex
Administrator

Yeah, I agree with Foggy there. Its clear he wasn't right, hasn't been since the Summer here really. Perhaps he just needed a couple of months off the roller coaster.
Old 19-02-14, 10:38 AM   #1414
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

If that's the case then they should stop reporting it as "depression" as they're rather different things. Lots of sources reported it as 'depression' (eg http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cri...in-Samuel.html). They really need to start making the distinction because stress, anxiety and depression can't be lumped under one convenient umbrella.
Old 19-02-14, 10:46 AM   #1415
EwarWoo
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
They really need to start making the distinction because stress, anxiety and depression can't be lumped under one convenient umbrella.
I don't think they did lump it together they just guessed and ran with it, it is the mail we're talking about.

It was reported officially as a stress related condition.
EwarWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-14, 10:51 AM   #1416
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EwarWoo View Post
I don't think they did lump it together they just guessed and ran with it, it is the mail we're talking about.
That was just one example - lots of outlets covered it as 'depression', including TV news items and special reports on 'depression in sport', wheeling out the likes of Trescothick and other sportsmen who have suffered from depression. If he hasn't got depression they shouldn't be saying he has, because anxiety and depression are not the same thing.
Old 19-02-14, 11:40 AM   #1417
RichC
Meh

Anxiety is a form of depression, whilst the overall umbrella of "depression" is quite broad anxiety itself can certainly be a form of depression it's often how it's manifested.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-14, 11:45 AM   #1418
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Well they're in the same group of mental illness and frequently occur together, but they are not the same.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/depress...roduction.aspx

Quote:
Many people with depression also have symptoms of anxiety.
Genuine anxiety is a terrible thing, too.
Old 19-02-14, 11:55 AM   #1419
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Quote:
If that's the case then they should stop reporting it as "depression" as they're rather different things. Lots of sources reported it as 'depression' (eg http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cri...in-Samuel.html). They really need to start making the distinction because stress, anxiety and depression can't be lumped under one convenient umbrella.
As George has pointed out several times nobody in the trott camp has ever mentioned depression.
Old 19-02-14, 11:56 AM   #1420
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Ridiculous.

Is Georgey Trotty's lover or something?
Old 19-02-14, 12:02 PM   #1421
RichC
Meh

Quote:
Well they're in the same group of mental illness and frequently occur together, but they are not the same.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/depress...roduction.aspx

Genuine anxiety is a terrible thing, too.
Agreed, depression is a very broad term. Both are horrible afflictions tbh
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-14, 12:05 PM   #1422
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Quote:
Ridiculous.

Is Georgey Trotty's lover or something?
Haha

They seem quite close!
Old 20-02-14, 10:01 AM   #1423
Trippendicular
Fagan

South Africa already 11/2. Oh dear.
Trippendicular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-14, 10:13 AM   #1424
Zapater
Dalglish

Fucking hell, can't believe it. And to think I was going to take a day off work to go to a day in the first test.

I think if these guys can get settled and see off the new ball there's runs in this pitch. These conditions don't really suite SA's cricket, but they will also neutralise Johnson. Poor play from Smith to be dismissed in that fashion. Him and Amla need to step up and start playing like the leaders they should be. Even if Faf and Elgar score at 1-2 runs an over this session they need to see it out and it'll make things a lot easier for them and others to follow. Batting until 9 even after this poor start there's no excuse to not post a decent total.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-14, 10:25 AM   #1425
Alex
Administrator

Sounds like England 2 months ago
Old 21-02-14, 12:11 PM   #1426
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Well that's a great recovery. 323-5. Another ton for de Villiers. What a player he is.
Old 21-02-14, 12:20 PM   #1427
Zapater
Dalglish

Duminy has all the quality in the world, it's about time he comes right. It's really make or break from him if he can't capitalise on it.

It's actually a horrible pitch, not ideal for both batting or bowling. It's tough to make a prediction until both teams have batted but I feel this will probably be a draw. SA will need better spinners than Duminy and Elgar as I don't think Philander, Morkel, Parnell and Steyn will get too much out of this.
Old 21-02-14, 12:24 PM   #1428
destinydude
Dalglish

Quote:
Well that's a great recovery. 323-5. Another ton for de Villiers. What a player he is.
His batting averages across all forms since 2009 has been pretty amazing. My fav player
Old 23-02-14, 05:01 PM   #1429
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Oz chasing 450 odd to win, 151-1 and have now collapsed to 205-7.
Old 23-02-14, 05:02 PM   #1430
Chazza
Des Lynam

Good.
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-14, 05:36 PM   #1431
Zapater
Dalglish

Holy shit! What an ending. Can't believe that Petersen got that runout and Elgar of all people managed to get that last wicket.

Great turn around. Looking forward to the decider in Cape Town. Newlands pitch isn't as good as it used to be, but it'll be quicker than this and will hopefully lend itself to a result.
Old 23-02-14, 05:41 PM   #1432
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Been watching football so haven't seen any yet but it sounds like Steyn has got one back on Johnson. Sounded immense. When Steyn is bowling fast and furious he's fucking terrifying
Old 23-02-14, 05:51 PM   #1433
destinydude
Dalglish

Quote:
Been watching football so haven't seen any yet but it sounds like Steyn has got one back on Johnson. Sounded immense. When Steyn is bowling fast and furious he's fucking terrifying
Was on a hattrick at one point.

Breathed fire after SA got their break through.

The funniest bit was ABD shouting "we can get them to 150 for 4 boys", come on when the Aussies were 127/0. Warner fell straight away and suddenly they were 156/6
Old 23-02-14, 08:56 PM   #1434
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 27-02-14, 11:12 AM   #1435
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
David Warner’s lack of respect making Australia look like whingers

DAVID Warner is one of Australia’s most talented and important cricketers.

He lacks just one vital ingredient — respect.

It became obvious again this week when he alleged the South Africans were ball tampering, which is apparently why their pace attack decimated Australia with reverse swing to easily win the second Test in Port Elizabeth, levelling the series at one all.

This makes Australia look like a bunch of whingers.

Whatever South Africa did to perfect reverse swing when Australia’s bowlers could not make a single delivery go “Irish”, the home side did it much better than the tourists.

If there was a problem the umpires would have been all over it or there would have been television footage of someone handling the ball in an inappropriate manner.

This was the case four months ago when South African batsman Faf du Plessis was fined for ball-tampering during the Dubai Test against Pakistan. Television footage showed du Plessis rubbing the ball near the zipper of his trouser pocket, prompting the umpires to change the ball and award a five-run penalty.

Warner’s teammates readily admit they have no problem with what South Africa did and insisted that the Australians simply had to get better at the art of cultivating reverse swing.

The explosive left-hander has demeaned one of the most spectacular spells of reverse swing in the game, by the world’s most compete fast bowler, Dale Steyn.

To watch Steyn weave his magic last Sunday when the Australians spent all Test delivering the ball gun barrel straight was one of the great highlights during my 30 years of covering international cricket.

The late reverse-swinging deliveries that trapped Steve Smith leg before wicket first ball and comprehensively bowled Brad Haddin for one were as good as any I have seen in the conditions and circumstances.

These moments must be celebrated not criticised. They are at the high point of the many great skills it takes to survive and thrive in international cricket.

Warner made a fair point when he talked about how South Africa treated the ball to encourage reverse swing.

“I think it comes down to the umpires warning both teams not to throw the ball into the wicket which you generally try and do,” Warner told Sydney’s Sky Sports Radio. “They did it better than what we did, or more obvious than what we did. At the end of the day it comes down to who can do that the best and work on the ball.”

But then he went a step too far, which is the history of Warner’s topsy turvey off-field career.

“We were actually questioning whether or not AB de Villiers would get the ball in his hand and with his glove wipe the rough side every ball. That’s another thing we have to try and bring up with the umpires,” Warner said.

Criticising AB de Villiers is cricket’s equivalent of shooting Bambi.

Perhaps Warner and his teammates can spend more time working on their skills and less time worrying about what the South Africans may or may not be doing.
Old 28-02-14, 02:01 AM   #1436
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

He's been fined 15% of his match fee.
Old 28-02-14, 09:22 AM   #1437
Alex
Administrator

Matt Prior says England dressing room will be a BETTER place without Kevin Pietersen

Quote:
Matt Prior says England's dressing room will be a BETTER place without sacked Kevin Pietersen.

The controversial batsman was dumped from the England set up following the dismal Ashes tour of Australia.

And wicketkeeper Prior backed the England and Wales Cricket Board's decision to dispense with Pietersen's services.

Speaking during England's limited overs tour of the West Indies, vice-captain Prior said Pietersen's ability should have made him "the best England cricketer to ever walk this planet".

However, when asked if the dressing room would be a better place without the South African-born batsman, Prior replied: "Yes, it will.

"I think one of the biggest things they (the ECB) want to rediscover is the value of playing cricket for England, the honour and the pride you need to show as an England cricketer."

"And they only want people in that dressing room that are going to be passionate about England winning and performing." .

Pietersen was released from his ECB contract earlier this month in the aftermath of the 5-0 test whitewash by Australia.

The ECB said captain Alastair Cook needed to be able to trust and rely on the support of all his players.Pietersen scored 8,181 runs in 104 tests and 4,440 runs in 136 one-day internationals but was never far from controversy.

He was briefly dropped in 2012 following media reports he had sent "provocative" text messages about England players to members of the South Africa squad during a series involving both teams.

More reports surfaced about Pietersen's divisive role in the squad after the latest Ashes series.

Prior, who has played in 75 tests and hit 3,920 runs at an average of 40.83, missed the last two tests of the Ashes series after being dropped because of poor form.

He said that being omitted when he was vice-captain, in the middle of a big series, "quite literally wrenched my heart out" but added he was determined to regain his place for the home series against Sri Lanka and India later this year.

"I have more passion now than I have ever had to get back in that team, turn things around and get back to winning ways," Prior said.

The wicketkeeper also predicted that opening batsman Cook would bounce back in style from England's humbling in Australia.

"He will break records and he's a phenomenal cricketer," said Prior.

"He will score the most runs for an Englishman in test cricket, no doubt, and he's a phenomenal bloke as well.

"To read some of the criticism he's got has just been incredible, as anyone who knows him respects him.

"When it comes to captaincy he's a big enough bloke to admit he's not the finished article yet.

"He's still very young in his captaincy and he needs to learn and needs to grow into the position.

"There are certain things I think a captain needs.

"I think being such a nice person is one of the things which doesn't stand him in good stead as a captain and the best thing about him is he accepts that and he knows he has to improve."

England begin their limited-overs tour of the Caribbean when they meet West Indies in the opening game of the three-match series of one-day internationals in Antigua on Friday.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/cricke...#ixzz2ubS79qsm
Old 28-02-14, 09:28 AM   #1438
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

If Butler has a good end to the winter then Prior is finished.
Old 28-02-14, 09:28 AM   #1439
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Being dropped "quite literally wrenched my heart out".

No it didn't Prior. No it didn't.
Old 28-02-14, 09:30 AM   #1440
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainfog View Post
If Butler has a good end to the winter then Prior is finished.
Fingers crossed.

It's a shame cos I've loved Prior for England but reading that he just sounds like a brown-nosing lickspittle.

est1892 > General > General Sports