It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 24-04-12, 03:28 PM   #81
Alex
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Fuck it, one glass can't do me any harm.

Do you have to log drinks with this 'My Fitness' shizzle?
Yep, I dont log tea and coffee as I drink it black, so its minor. But tea with milk and sugar is like 80 calories.

You log your water intake too if you want.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 24-04-12, 03:31 PM   #82
kris90210
Shankly

Quote:
Haha.

I want to nip it in the bud before it spirals out of control and I'm suddenly 20 stone. I've always been so skinny (you could see my ribs until a few years ago FFS) I never thought this would be an issue for me.
Cut cereals out for starters mate. There's loads of sugar in cereal, so the first thing you should do is come off your special k diet!

I don't want to patronise you here, but you know on the list of ingredients that comes on the back of food? Well they are listed according to volume. So for Special K, the ingredients are listed as:

Rice, Wheat (Wholewheat, Wheat Flour), Sugar, Wheat Gluten, Skimmed Milk Powder, Defatted Wheatgerm, Salt, Barley Malt Flavouring, Vitamin C, Niacin, Iron, Vitamin B6, Riboflavin (B2), Thiamin (B1), Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12.

So the main ingredient is rice, followed by wheat, then you have sugar. That's the third biggest ingredient, and they market this as a weightloss cereal!

For breakfast, go for eggs mate. Or a smoothy as suggested. The good thing about smoothies is you can pack in loads of stuff that's good for you. I used to make smoothies in the morning. I'd use skimmed milk, whey protein powder, couple of bananas, some low fat yogurt and ground flaxseed. It's superb mate.

If you're at home a lot, there's loads of bodyweight excercises you can do - pressups, planks, squats, lunges etc. All amazing for you. Start off slow and do it 2-3 times a week. Monitor your progress so you actually start to notice an improvement even if you don't see a massive change in yourself to begin with. So long as you see that you are actually getting better that can be all the motivation you need to keep pushing until you do start to see some noticable results. Best tip I can give you is to not expect results over night. Give yourself a couple of months.

As I mentioned, I have a mate who's a personal trainer. He's well on his way to becoming a millionaire through his sessions and he's going uk wide with this online scheme thing. Anyway, I have a couple of booklets that he's done, that act as like 30 day detox plans. Give me a pm with your email if you like and I'll send them accross. They give an excellent overview of all things healthy!

By the way, I should say that I am in no way fit myself. I'm pretty shocking actually. I've spoken to a lot of very fit people about it, gone through phases of 'getting fit' and read a fair few books on excercise and nutriton.
Old 24-04-12, 03:31 PM   #83
Gingawaria
Dalglish

Right guys, you've inspired me now!

Just downloaded it as I seriously need to lose weight. It's recommended a calorie intake of 1,660 and I'm going to do my best to get in at least 30 mins exercise a day as this is pretty much all I can spare these days!

JURGEN KLOPP - LIVERPOOL MANAGER

YNWA
Gingawaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-12, 03:31 PM   #84
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Yep, I dont log tea and coffee as I drink it black, so its minor. But tea with milk and sugar is like 80 calories.

You log your water intake too if you want.
Are you trying to make a fool out of me? Water?

80 calories per cuppa FFS.

Last edited by Shaggy; 24-04-12 at 03:34 PM.
Shaggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-12, 03:33 PM   #85
Alex
Administrator

No seriously you can Log your water. It has no calories though. Its just to keep track if your drinking enough. The more water you drink, the healthier you will be.
Old 24-04-12, 03:35 PM   #86
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris90210 View Post
I've just checked and it's 2 months. So I've been doing that wrong then! Doh!

What can I say man, they reckon chlorine and limescale are bad for you and both are present in tap water (removed with a filter). I've read that you 'should' ideally drink filtered or bottled water. It's not really a controversial statement mate. You can pick up a pack of 4 filters for 12 now. That's 1.50 a month.
If unfiltered tap water was unsafe, I think we'd know about it. Anyhoo, it doesn't really matter other than in the context of this conversation.

Quote:
Well, it depends how much you drink. After all, its fat suspended in water essentially.

Its not the milk id worry about though. Its the nesquick as I say.
And the beer / wine.

Last edited by dom9; 24-04-12 at 03:38 PM.
dom9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-12, 03:37 PM   #87
RichC
Meh

What was this app called? Since the Mrs got pregnant at the start of last year and started eating more or less what she wanted to I've lumped on the weight, she's now decided to get back into shape it's probably time I did so as well.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-12, 03:37 PM   #88
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
No seriously you can Log your water. It has no calories though. Its just to keep track if your drinking enough. The more water you drink, the healthier you will be.
Awesome ....even though I hate water I'm going to be drinking much more of it now.

What about "burning off calories"? Say, when I go and pick my boy up from nursery in an hour - if I leg it all the way there, will that burn off calories and mean I can intake more than 200 for the remainder of the day?
Old 24-04-12, 03:38 PM   #89
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcasemore View Post
What was this app called? Since the Mrs got pregnant at the start of last year and started eating more or less what she wanted to I've lumped on the weight, she's now decided to get back into shape it's probably time I did so as well.
My Fitness App, I think.
Old 24-04-12, 03:38 PM   #90
Alex
Administrator

My Fitness Pal

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

You can access it online too which is handy.
Old 24-04-12, 03:39 PM   #91
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo1981 View Post
Is this a massive woosh from Shaggy? Surely he can't be this thick? "Is milk bad?" FFS
massive whoosh

milk... its brilliaaaaaaaaant

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-12, 03:39 PM   #92
Alex
Administrator

Quote:
Awesome ....even though I hate water I'm going to be drinking much more of it now.

What about "burning off calories"? Say, when I go and pick my boy up from nursery in an hour - if I leg it all the way there, will that burn off calories and mean I can intake more than 200 for the remainder of the day?
Yea, you can log your exercise, then it adds more calories to your allowance. Its like getting bonus points.
Old 24-04-12, 03:39 PM   #93
RichC
Meh

ahhh cheers. 34 now and worried unless i actually start to get back into shape now I'll never manager it!

Getting older and loving beer sucks
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-12, 03:45 PM   #94
Lee
Chunder camel

This thread has just got a lot better.

Not sure the popcorn smiley is wise at the moment though, it might tempt a few people into eating things that they should be avoiding.
Old 24-04-12, 03:47 PM   #95
smither
Dalglish

I was made up to see black coffee was only 3 calories.

I'll have as much of that as I want now. Can't see anything bad coming from that.
smither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-12, 03:50 PM   #96
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by smither View Post
I was made up to see black coffee was only 3 calories.

I'll have as much of that as I want now. Can't see anything bad coming from that.
bad breath and a heart attack

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
Old 24-04-12, 03:52 PM   #97
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

i'd love to losse by beer belly but working nights wreaks havoc on your body
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-12, 11:02 PM   #98
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

With this 'My Fitness Pal' app....I've just completed my day's entries. Gone a bit a over the daily limit.

I got a message saying:

Quote:
Entry complete. If every day were like today....

You'd weigh

3.3lbs

in 5 weeks
What the fuck? Does it mean "You'd lose" rather than "You'd weigh"
Old 24-04-12, 11:09 PM   #99
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

Do some exercise Shaggy mate. Jogging or long walks with your son. This will help.
Old 24-04-12, 11:10 PM   #100
Fredo

I'm in the same boat by the way. Have taken around 2/3 kgs lately, stuffing my face with Kit Kat chunkies all day, sitting on my arse at work. I don't think those apps work to be honest, you'll get bored before long.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 24-04-12, 11:11 PM   #101
Lee
Chunder camel

I don't think you'd lose 3.3lbs by tucking into three cheese sarnies, two chocolate bars and crisps per day.
Old 24-04-12, 11:13 PM   #102
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelLG View Post
I'm in the same boat by the way. Have taken around 2/3 kgs lately, stuffing my face with Kit Kat chunkies all day, sitting on my arse at work. I don't think those apps work to be honest, you'll get bored before long.
Probably but it worked for Alex so it's worth a go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post

I don't think you'd lose 3.3lbs by tucking into three cheese sarnies, two chocolate bars and crisps per day.
No crisps

Also just had soup for dinner. Fuckin starving I am.

What took me over the limit was 8 Jelly Babies FFS
Old 24-04-12, 11:14 PM   #103
Dan
Though this be madness, yet there is method in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
A lot of runners tend to strike the floor heel first when they run (and given that most running shoes are developed with big blocks on the heel area you're likely to get pushed there anyway) it's (IMO) an inefficient gait and, in my case, after 5 years of regualr running did untold damage to my knee (8-12 miles 5 times a week usually). It's more efficient to focus on landing on the fron of your foot or midstep. You get more pace, more efficient movement, it inspires better posture and takes the pressure off key joints. THere is a massive buzz around minimalist/ barefoot running at the minute and I suppose it's an extension of that.

I should stress that I'm not a fan of barefooting it (although i do own a few pairs of transitional sneakers that i use when running 10ks) but do use neutral shoes (currently Saucony Guide 5s) and have found that switching from a structured shoe and switching my gait to forefront striking has really minimised my injuries. It's also got my 10 mile averages down below 7:30 per mile. Only 4 months in but I'd recommend that people try it. Watch out though as for the few weeks your calves are going to hurt like buggary
I'm tending to agree with you. The difference a forefoot strike can make is outstanding, for pure shock absorbtion*/dispersion. (*how the fuck do you spell that?). It's very difficult to adjust, conscious of your foot strike every stride and what not, but if you can do it it's so much better.

I wear Puma Faas, they encourage the foot to land at a flatter angle than the norm with running shoes, pain in the calf can be a right cuntpunt for the first few runs but once it's past it they're lush to run in. Got a neutral pair with some custom insoles at the moment but I've just taken delivery of a pair of structured to the shop today that I'll get next week

Check em out brah, 500/550 is the neutral pair, 800 is structured.

I've also got a pair of Asics Volts, 10mm heel drop so fairly minimalist, but they fuck my calves up when running so I'm waiting til I have the weight down a bit further before venturing to run in them again.

We have a deal with asics every year, for 45 euro I can get a pair of 1170s and running top/shorts/socks. The 1170s retail at 100e, and I can trade them against any other pair we stock. I've ordered two packs, gonna get my faas 800s for free and also ordered a fucking lush pair of 2170s They'll end up costing me 15 quid extra. 105 for 2 pairs of shoes, 2 tees, 2 shorts and socks

As soon as the weight is down enough and I'm at decent fitness levels Imma start looking at venturing to minimalist, start off with the volts at 10mm heel drop, work down to 4mm new balance
Old 24-04-12, 11:14 PM   #104
Fredo

Quote:

I had some delicious Covent Garden soup today. Ate a french baton with it though.
Old 24-04-12, 11:16 PM   #105
baitman
Daddy day care

the brown rice was a little woody, maybe slightly undercooked. 1.60 a kg for basmati brown.

Old 24-04-12, 11:16 PM   #106
Fredo

Haribos for me, they're absolutely wonderful.
Old 24-04-12, 11:17 PM   #107
Liverpool
Paisley

Quote:
Being completely honest, probably not. I hope so though. For the first time in my life my weight has started to bother me...for vanity reasons, sucking my belly in .....fuckin moobs developing. Used to be dead skinny and all my t-shirts are quite skinny...now I look a real twat in them. Look like I've got tits with a great big pregnant belly.
im the same height/weight ish as you and i feel massive with the skinny tees and jeans although with uni stress im suprised i havent exploded even more

i cant do this weight control shit though because then ive got food on my mind all day so become hungry, I think trying to focus on becoming fit and cutting out drinking/bread will see you drop the weight without tracking and what not
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-12, 11:17 PM   #108
Lee
Chunder camel

Quote:
No crisps

Also just had soup for dinner. Fuckin starving I am.

What took me over the limit was 8 Jelly Babies FFS

Poor memory, makes all the difference does that.

Just eat little and often mate. Low carbs / high protein is the way to go - grilled chicken, lean meats, tuna, cottage cheese, sweet potatoes rather than chips or mash etc.

Cereals can be sneaky fuckers as most are covered in sugar and shite. Go for granola or oats.

Swap white for brown - bread, rice, pasta etc.

No sugar in the tea. No caffiene or carbs after 6pm.

Sounds boring and it takes a week or so but you'll get into it easily. The struggle is working from home though mate. I would suggest filling up that fruitbowl.
Old 24-04-12, 11:18 PM   #109
Lee
Chunder camel

Quote:
I had some delicious Covent Garden soup today. Ate a french baton with it though.

Soup is shit man! You don't eat soup, you drink it. It's fucking rank and pointless and mostly tomato-based.
Old 24-04-12, 11:59 PM   #110
little dave hedgehog
Token Yank

non-tomato based soups are fucking immense. this week i made some potato bacon soup. triffic. i also am quite fond of making a lovely beef stew with red wine.
Old 25-04-12, 12:03 AM   #111
little dave hedgehog
Token Yank

you know, the pounds have really rolled off since i've started playing footy again. my sister recently asked if i had been seriously ill, i've lost that much weight. moobs are gone, belly is nearly gone. i'm even nearly fast again. i haven't really changed my eating habits much that i can think of. try it mate. running doesn't appeal to me at all, it had to be a sport or nothing.
Old 25-04-12, 06:28 AM   #112
Fredo

Quote:

Soup is shit man! You don't eat soup, you drink it. It's fucking rank and pointless and mostly tomato-based.
It wasn't a tomato based soup, was a cheese/cheddar based one. Delicieux.
Old 25-04-12, 09:05 AM   #113
Lee
Chunder camel

Quote:
It wasn't a tomato based soup, was a cheese/cheddar based one. Delicieux.

Sounds slighty better. Still don't eat soup though. It's a horrible drink.

But I like the idea of a cheese based one.
Old 25-04-12, 09:10 AM   #114
Gingawaria
Dalglish

Day one of changing my eating habits...I was already eating a yoghurt for breakfast but instead of a packet of crisps I have a bowl of melon and pineapple. Let's see how long this lasts!

YNWA
Old 25-04-12, 09:13 AM   #115
Lee
Chunder camel

Good luck man.
Old 25-04-12, 09:19 AM   #116
Darkon
Football Expert

Watched BBC Horizon on fat and exercise - can only recommend it, really shows how little you have to change your habits. Forget about going to the gym 2 hours 3 times a weak and changing your eating habits to much, there are better and simpler ways
Darkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-12, 09:20 AM   #117
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
With this 'My Fitness Pal' app....I've just completed my day's entries. Gone a bit a over the daily limit.

I got a message saying:

What the fuck? Does it mean "You'd lose" rather than "You'd weigh"

Sure you didn't key it in wrong with your fat fingers?
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-12, 09:21 AM   #118
GTi
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkon View Post
Watched BBC Horizon on fat and exercise - can only recommend it, really shows how little you have to change your habits. Forget about going to the gym 2 hours 3 times a weak and changing your eating habits to much, there are better and simpler ways
G'waaan...
GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-12, 09:27 AM   #119
Darkon
Football Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTi View Post
G'waaan...
Watch it you lazy bastard

In summary the most important thing is to stand still as little as possible, it's more important to do many small walks during the day than only doing an hour in the gym and sitting on the chair the rest of the day.

And in terms of what exercise gives you in terms of hormones, extra burning of fat etc. you can achieve that by doing 1 minute of maximum pressure exercise 3 times a week. For example running as fast as you can for 1 minute or on a exercise bike as fast as you can.

And the one about fat is more about using good fats rather than cutting them away enterily. So using good natural ingredients.
Darkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-12, 09:37 AM   #120
Gingawaria
Dalglish

I was thinking that the other day. I'm just going to introduce a bit more fruit and veg into my diet. Had steak for tea last night, it was grilled, cut the fat off and I have a jacket potato with it instead of chips. It was still delicious and I was full for ages after it too, meaning I didn't snack later.

YNWA

est1892 > General > General Sports