It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 08-07-21, 10:04 AM   #1001
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboCairns View Post
Why has no one mentioned Sterling's attempt to purposely hang his leg to the side to initiate a trip? That didn't work but I do think the subsequent tackle was a foul and therefore a penalty.
What tackle?

The game is fucking ludicrous. We're now at the stage where ANY contact in the box is a foul and therefore a penalty.
spud_gun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-21, 10:06 AM   #1002
McDermotX
Paisley

Let's leave aside the fact he's already halfway down to the ground

He's a cheat. One of the worst in the game.
Old 08-07-21, 10:06 AM   #1003
baitman
Daddy day care

One player brushes past another, skin touches skin, clothing is rippled, but thats NOT A FOUL.

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-21, 10:25 AM   #1004
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
This is how its applied in cricket though.

If the video umpire cannot say for sure its a mistake, the on field umpire decision remains.

I much prefer it, as all VAR is doing is fixing fuck ups, not marginals that is down the the ref.

VAR on the whole has been fairly good this Euros, as has the standard of reffing. But celebrating a goal is celebrating a goal now. Not like that total shit we had in the prem where everything was checked.
I think the "clear and obvious error" thing is stupid to be honest. If it is debatable, then the ref should be told "i don't agree with you, go check the telly on the side" - or else, let the video ref be the match referee. He has the benefit of hindsight so can overrule the on-field decision. Like in rugby.

The current set up essentially results in scenarios where it shouldn't have been a peno......but it wasn't a clear and obvious error by the ref (because there was contact.....possibly initiated by the attacking player) so they go with the ref's original decision. I actually think sterling was lucky not to be carded

Agree with you about the VAR and refereeing in general though. Although to be honest I think the champions league is fine too. For me the biggest improvement is the fact that they don't press pause and start drawing lines on the screen. That is fuckin farcical by the premier league. It's shite like thats ruining football.
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-21, 10:27 AM   #1005
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDermotX View Post
Let's leave aside the fact he's already halfway down to the ground

He's a cheat. One of the worst in the game.

What is annoying about the commentators as well was that they will never call an english player out on it. If Salah is genuinely tripped and goes down, then its all tut-tut and how that's not the english game.
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-21, 10:55 AM   #1006
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Really soft penalty - but that's the way the game has gone.
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1

Curtis Julian Jones Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-21, 11:22 AM   #1007
chadrtc
Dalglish

It's clearly a pen with the rules as they are - he's running at speed and is hip checked. VAR was right not to overturn it, as the angle they actually looked at shows.

I have no interest in how England do, but some of you are really letting your blind hatred colour your judgement on this. There have been far worse decisions than this in the tournament that have drawn far less rage.
chadrtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-21, 11:37 AM   #1008
Pepe79
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrtc View Post
It's clearly a pen with the rules as they are - he's running at speed and is hip checked. VAR was right not to overturn it, as the angle they actually looked at shows.

I have no interest in how England do, but some of you are really letting your blind hatred colour your judgement on this. There have been far worse decisions than this in the tournament that have drawn far less rage.
It was a correct call, in process. The problem is, the process of how and when VAR is applied is a complete mess. Thatís always been one of the biggest flaws with VAR.

A game deciding decision in a semi final is always going to draw more attention than the earlier games. Thatís as bad a penalty decision as youíll see and Iíd be saying the same had it been Denmark or anyone else.
Pepe79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-21, 11:52 AM   #1009
Exiled_red
Paisley

The admission from the likes of Shearer that it was soft and you wouldn't be happy if that went against you tells you all you need to know. The process is seriously flawed and not because of this one incident - to be honest there have been far worse in the PL but again this is a big game decided by a flawed process.

The likes of Kane, Sterling and Grealish were looking for any opportunity yesterday to make the most of any contact and go down. They are some of the worst in the league, I criticise them week in week out in the PL, they don't become immune from that just because they are wearing and England shirt. They are able to do this because the system is flawed. These player probably know how to play the system VAR or not, but VAR plays into their hands

Part of the reason I don't support England is because it seems like it would be rather hypercritical to call them dicks/cheats when playing for their clubs but cheering them on the month or so of the year they play for the national side.

Last edited by Exiled_red; 08-07-21 at 11:59 AM.
Exiled_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-21, 12:33 PM   #1010
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrtc View Post
https://twitter.com/DevAddz/status/1...794316288?s=20

I have no particular love for England, but it was a pen IMO.
That’s a dive from every angle. The ball is in front of him, he needs to be to the right of it to get his foot around it and cross, and his left leg is going left towards the defender whilst his body weight is already falling forward. And it wasn’t even his first attempt at diving for a pen in the game. 100% dive and a cheating twat.

Last edited by Kenneth; 08-07-21 at 12:39 PM.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-21, 02:39 PM   #1011
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Thatís a dive from every angle. The ball is in front of him, he needs to be to the right of it to get his foot around it and cross, and his left leg is going left towards the defender whilst his body weight is already falling forward. And it wasnít even his first attempt at diving for a pen in the game. 100% dive and a cheating twat.
Two dive attempts in 3 yards, flappy hands setting the standard

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-21, 08:26 PM   #1012
chadrtc
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
That’s a dive from every angle. The ball is in front of him, he needs to be to the right of it to get his foot around it and cross, and his left leg is going left towards the defender whilst his body weight is already falling forward. And it wasn’t even his first attempt at diving for a pen in the game. 100% dive and a cheating twat.

Each to his own I guess.

Last edited by chadrtc; 08-07-21 at 08:41 PM. Reason: I don’t care enough
chadrtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-21, 06:29 AM   #1013
SB
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
What tackle?

The game is fucking ludicrous. We're now at the stage where ANY contact in the box is a foul and therefore a penalty.
Except if your wearing the red of Liverpool
Old 09-07-21, 06:51 AM   #1014
HamboCairns
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB View Post
What's a 'wearing the red of Liverpool'?
Old 09-07-21, 09:14 AM   #1015
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
What tackle?

But only if the on field ref awards it, if there is contact and the onfield ref says no pen that is almost impossible to overturn too. There are a massive number of pen given that shouldn't be and some fouls which are far worse which aren't given because of the stupid VAR rules, people want consistency and we aren't getting that, all we are getting is protections for the referees decisions.
Old 09-07-21, 09:17 AM   #1016
Fivex
The Wisp

Quote:

No need to act that dumb
Old 09-07-21, 10:04 PM   #1017
SB
Paisley

Quote:
What tackle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB View Post
Quote:
Hope that clears it up
Old 09-07-21, 10:35 PM   #1018
Scratch
If you fail once....

I think he's more concerned about the use of your instead of you're
Old 10-07-21, 12:00 PM   #1019
SB
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
I think he's more concerned about the use of your instead of you're
Oh not again
Old 09-08-21, 03:05 PM   #1020
S-RED
Dalglish

Decent thread on the new version to be used for VAR

S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-21, 05:23 PM   #1021
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-RED View Post

https://twitter.com/DaleJohnsonESPN/...80910696427523
I said for ages there is no way things were as accurate as they were trying to claim a few mm, 5cm or so is more believable.

Problem is still the idiots in charge of it, and the reluctance to overturn the on field decisions for pens etc.
Old 09-08-21, 07:08 PM   #1022
S-RED
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
I said for ages there is no way things were as accurate as they were trying to claim a few mm, 5cm or so is more believable.

Problem is still the idiots in charge of it, and the reluctance to overturn the on field decisions for pens etc.
100% unfortunately; there are a fair majority of refs that take it as an affront if they are wrong & they all have each others backs....
Old 10-08-21, 07:59 AM   #1023
Tribute
Shankly

Quote:
100% unfortunately; there are a fair majority of refs that take it as an affront if they are wrong & they all have each others backs....
Majority of PL games last season, the Stockley Park boys club had the back of the referee and would not overrule without the decision being an absolutely shocking one...

This 'clear and obvious' is utter bollocks to help them hide behind the 'well, it could be given, it might not be in others' - as we've said many times, the technology is flawed and nowhere near as accurate as they claimed (before they received millions for installing all the kit, I bet) - the real problem is the human interpretation. It's cronyism to protect the ref. Last season we couldn't buy a foul in the box... remember Mane being hacked down on multiple occasions and the ref just waving it away. If it was Kane, Sterling or Grealish it'd be pens every day.

Funny how City could end up with the three worst divers in the PL if they also buy Kane this summer... watch their penalty total creep up to near Uniteds.
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-21, 09:07 AM   #1024
S-RED
Dalglish

The premier league has massively missed a trick & not recruited or at the very least started a programme of training a VAR body of personnel; who are NOT top flight Ref's/Ex-Refs to manage VAR.

The interpretation will not change with a ref on a Saturday, then VAR'ing a game on the Sunday; its a ridiculous situation & one the referee's want to maintain, so they keep overall control.......
Old 10-08-21, 10:11 AM   #1025
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:

https://twitter.com/DaleJohnsonESPN/...80910696427523
Does this mean last season is voided?
Old 10-08-21, 11:22 AM   #1026
Scratch
If you fail once....

Aside from the new offside usage for VAR, I think I also read that penalty decisions will also be reviewed, words along the line of football is a contact game, so not every instance of contact in the box that last season was given as a penalty will be awarded this season.

Theoretically, that should have cut Grealish's value by at least a third.

Edit: https://www.theguardian.com/football...ty-next-season

est1892 > Football > General Football