It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 03-10-21, 08:51 PM   #7281
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Yeah does look off the pace alright. He over commited to so many tackles today I lost count how many times he was bypassed.
Old 03-10-21, 09:30 PM   #7282
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by danperkins View Post
Captain untouchable was shit today, right Nev?
Heís been well below par all season and the reason Iím so pissed off about him is because for all his great club man image he went through the media to moan about not getting a new contract. His legs are already going and he is very injury prone yet the club caved and extended him with two years remaining.

Since he has come into the side for Elliot so much opposition attacks down his side where he doesnít track runners or have the legs to chase them. I wished heíd forget international football (where he has lost his place) and save himself for us
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-21, 09:47 PM   #7283
Maxiedge
Shankly

I only watched the second half and I thought he was absolutely brilliant. Granted, we were overrun in the first half by all accounts.
Maxiedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-21, 10:00 PM   #7284
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxiedge View Post
I only watched the second half and I thought he was absolutely brilliant. Granted, we were overrun in the first half by all accounts.
We were watching a different game then - maybe I am biased but he lost the ball in our half multiple times and hadnít the legs to win it back. I love him as a captain but his best days are behind him as a player
Old 03-10-21, 10:07 PM   #7285
Liverpool
Paisley

I think him rushing back the end of last season to the go the Euros to sit on the bench, then not get a break or proper preseason is catching up on him tbh, he's never really got going.
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-21, 10:24 PM   #7286
Corndog
Fagan

He didn't have a good game today and may well have peaked already.

Likely, he will be phased out in the next 1-2 seasons but can still play a role in the team during this time.

Club needs to start looking for a replacement for him though because, the athleticism and stamina he brought to the team in the last 5-6 years was a huge part of the teams success and now Gini is gone, the midfield is quite slow for pace.

That's where I think Harvey was really adding a lot of value with his turn of pace and energy

"There are two great teams on Merseyside; Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves." - Bill Shankly
Corndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-21, 10:27 PM   #7287
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Old 03-10-21, 11:53 PM   #7288
Maxiedge
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
We were watching a different game then - maybe I am biased but he lost the ball in our half multiple times and hadnít the legs to win it back. I love him as a captain but his best days are behind him as a player
Iím not a big fan of him playing out on the right and think heís much better as a deep lying midfielder but heís playing some of his best attacking football this season. Defensively, I think we miss the engine of Wijnaldum to help out Hendo but at the same time, Iím quite happy to see more creative spirits like Jones and Eliot playing. Maybe with Thiago we have the right balance in midfield.

If we want to talk about players finding form, then Iím much more concerned about Firmino he has been utterly woeful for a year now.
Maxiedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-21, 05:09 AM   #7289
frank the tank
Shankly

I thought Henderson was shite yesterday. Good observation earlier about him rushing back for the euros. Would have been better off doing what Virgil did.

I think we need a new midfielder. Elliot is being missed and that's crackers because he is only a kid who's just broken into the team. Keita looked good but he inevitably got injured kicking grass ffs..... And Oxlade these days is as useful as tits on a nun.
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-21, 11:37 AM   #7290
danperkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
He’s been well below par all season and the reason I’m so pissed off about him is because for all his great club man image he went through the media to moan about not getting a new contract. His legs are already going and he is very injury prone yet the club caved and extended him with two years remaining.

Since he has come into the side for Elliot so much opposition attacks down his side where he doesn’t track runners or have the legs to chase them. I wished he’d forget international football (where he has lost his place) and save himself for us
agree with everything said here. Below par for quite some time. Massive fan of Henderson but we do need to be looking for that replacement. The was a massive sized hole in the shape of Gini yesterday or a player like Gini. We could even do with 2 new midfielders imo.

I thought all three of our midfield were poor. Fab looking slow and cumbersome, Jones looked completely lost & Henderson was all over the shop. We cannot rely on Thiago, Kieta or Ox to stay fit. I'm not really sure if we can rely on the quality of Ox and Keita when they are fit. Thiago has done ok at Liverpool imo, lovely footballer no doubts but I don't see him as being a success here yet... like Keita it has been a stop start affair and nothing much to shout about.

With the African nations comings next coming in January, we are down Mane and Mo who have scored 10 out of 17 of our league goals and then there's the assists and their involvement in the goals we have scored. I really hope that we have something up our sleeve in the January window because we will be relying on Firmino and Jota to take the burden of that responsibility in a crucial run of games even if they seem favorable on paper. Jota has been a bit blunt and Bobby well... he just doesn't score enough at the best of times.

Last edited by danperkins; 04-10-21 at 11:40 AM.
danperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-21, 01:53 PM   #7291
Mr Pink
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
Oxlade these days is as useful as tits on a nun.
The guy is about as useful as Anne Frankís drum kit
Old 04-10-21, 03:20 PM   #7292
Fivex
The Wisp

To be frank, you canít out-frank frank the tank with Anne Frank
Old 04-10-21, 04:01 PM   #7293
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool View Post
I think him rushing back the end of last season to the go the Euros to sit on the bench, then not get a break or proper preseason is catching up on him tbh, he's never really got going.

He's not been the same since that injury in Feb.
Old 04-10-21, 07:57 PM   #7294
Irishnev
Paisley

Good unbiased article on Hendo - it does suggest the midfield seems unbalanced and uses examples to highlight it

Old 04-10-21, 10:15 PM   #7295
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivex View Post
To be frank, you canít out-frank frank the tank with Anne Frank

Fuckin right doggie
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-21, 09:17 AM   #7296
wiw
Paisley

They made some good points on The Anfield Wrap about the game against City, in particular the midfield and the problems we were having in the first half particularly (including Hendo). To badly paraphrase what they were saying;

- City weren't playing anyone up near our centre backs
- they were doubling up on our flanks and keeping good width
- Henderson was playing very high up, which seemed to be a tactic
- once Foden had his chance, we noticeably and collectively shit ourselves and the defensive line dropped
- this left a huge space between the defence and midfield, leaving Henderson and Jones with huge gaps to fill in
- they were left caught between pressing and blocking passing lines and largely caught between the two and becoming fairly redundant

I think all of the above coupled with Henderson not quite being at full sharpness....not ideal
Old 05-10-21, 09:23 AM   #7297
Paul12
Benitez

I just see it as the consequence of us trying to adjust the way we play..and coming up against an extremely intelligent team before we have fully worked out how to play the new system.
Paul12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-21, 10:47 AM   #7298
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul12 View Post
I just see it as the consequence of us trying to adjust the way we play..and coming up against an extremely intelligent team before we have fully worked out how to play the new system.
I agree to a point - for sure City will exploit even the tiniest of system failures but weíve had issues down that side vs Brentford as well. I even think any of the dangerous stuff Porto did came down right side as well.

I think Trent out doesnít help and I donít want to bash Hendo because my hope is that he is still building up fitness/sharpness etc. you could see him struggling in challenges and also to cover the ground back - thatís what the worry is for me because that is meat and drink for a fully fit Hendo.

Itís one to keep a close eye on - I really wish heíd retire from internationals. I think heíd benefit so much from it but I guess England have a chance at the WC so he has that in mind
Old 05-10-21, 11:48 AM   #7299
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiw View Post
They made some good points on The Anfield Wrap about the game against City, in particular the midfield and the problems we were having in the first half particularly (including Hendo). To badly paraphrase what they were saying;

- once Foden had his chance, we noticeably and collectively shit ourselves and the defensive line dropped
- this left a huge space between the defence and midfield, leaving Henderson and Jones with huge gaps to fill in
- they were left caught between pressing and blocking passing lines and largely caught between the two and becoming fairly redundant

I think all of the above coupled with Henderson not quite being at full sharpness....not ideal
The bit about Hendo playing high, and wide, was I think to double up and provide more of a threat in Trent's absence. I don't think it highlights a weakness in Hendo, moreso the strength of Trent
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-21, 02:05 PM   #7300
danperkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiw View Post

Valid points there

Hendo was definitely higher up but I kept jumping in and commiting himself, lost count of how many times he got done high up the pitch.

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC