It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 29-09-21, 09:02 AM   #321
spud_gun
Paisley

If he keeps this form up he's going to be demanding a mega-money contract soon. Probably best we sell and re-invest in some youth.
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-21, 09:03 AM   #322
Craig_H
Football's all about the kids!

I’ve been really worried that we might be overhyping this lad & putting far too much pressure on him.

But now I’ve come in here and seen Fredo compare him to Zidane, I’m confident none of that overhyping or putting too much pressure on him is happening.

Phew.
Craig_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-21, 09:06 AM   #323
SB
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_H View Post
Iíve been really worried that we might be overhyping this lad & putting far too much pressure on him.

But now Iíve come in here and seen Fredo compare him to Zidane, Iím confident none of that overhyping or putting too much pressure on him is happening.

Phew.
No pressure at all.

More Steven Gerrard than Zidane surely
Old 29-09-21, 09:23 AM   #324
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
He's releasing the ball quicker now isn't he - he'd sometimes hold on to it for too long. I find it amazing that some Reds don't rate him.

Him and Elliott in our midfield is a delicious long-term prospect, and it's so good to have two class Scouse lads in the side.
I think that was maybe intentional. I think he was trying to play the Gini role like Gini, recycle the ball, keep possession etc. Elliot has since come into the side and established himself by adding something different to the midfield, so Jones is thinking he can do the same and express himself more to make an impact.
RedReet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-21, 09:26 AM   #325
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReet View Post
I think that was maybe intentional. I think he was trying to play the Gini role like Gini, recycle the ball, keep possession etc. Elliot has since come into the side and established himself by adding something different to the midfield, so Jones is thinking he can do the same and express himself more to make an impact.
That's a good point about Elliot. Prior to his injury he was being picked ahead of Jones.

Instead of sulking Jones has obviously applied himself in training, taking on board what the coaches have been wanting him to do and we've seen the dividends in the couple of games he's played.

Not sure if he's always done it but he seems to be shooting from distance quite a bit. Couple of goals have come from his seemingly speculative shots. Wonder if that's coaching?
Old 29-09-21, 09:42 AM   #326
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
That's a good point about Elliot. Prior to his injury he was being picked ahead of Jones.

Instead of sulking Jones has obviously applied himself in training, taking on board what the coaches have been wanting him to do and we've seen the dividends in the couple of games he's played.

Not sure if he's always done it but he seems to be shooting from distance quite a bit. Couple of goals have come from his seemingly speculative shots. Wonder if that's coaching?
Aye, I mentioned his attitude a few weeks ago when Elliot was ahead of him, that he seemed to have responded well to it. Hopefully he kicks on from here and really establishes himself
RedReet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-21, 09:42 AM   #327
Fierce
I'm only the bassist

Quote:

Prime example of a chance coming and taking it

Keeps this up and we've a real selection headache
Old 29-09-21, 10:01 AM   #328
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Said ages back that he reminded me of Goretzka or rather Goretzka when the German was about 18, and last night he put in a performance that was uncannily like that of what Goretzka used to put in when he was a little younger than Jones is.

Think the future is really bring for Jones and that once he gets a bit more consistency to his play, which will come with more experience, that he is going to become more and more like the German in his style of play.

He makes the same sort of runs, he releases the ball in a similar manner, he takes the ball in one direction and then plays diagonal passes low in the other direction. He has the same sort of frame and physicality. And I think he is starting to show that he believes in his own ability now and that he feels like he belongs in a midfeld beside the likes of Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago etc.

Think I said the same thing a year agio, but Jones is the most German looking English footballer I have ever seen in terms of his style of play and if he were playing somewhere like Dortmund right now we would be crying out for him to be snapped up.

That all being said, I would still love for us to get the real Goretzka in January or wait until the summer to get him on a free and let Jones have another wolrd class midfielder to learn his trade from.

Getting Goretzka in would allow us, for next seaon onwards, to transistion Henderson to the Milner role in the team/squad, let Goretzka have the Henderson role albeit with a bit more box to box and Jones to be competing with Henderson/Thiago for the third midfield spot depending who was fit or in form.
Old 29-09-21, 10:13 AM   #329
spud_gun
Paisley

Goretzka isn't happening. He recently signed a new contract at Bayern
Old 29-09-21, 10:52 AM   #330
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Goretzka isn't happening. He recently signed a new contract at Bayern

It's happening. Just like Martinez is happening.

And Valverde

And Zakaria

And Bellingham

And anyone else that takes my fancy

May or may not be talking about my Fifa22 team come Friday
Old 29-09-21, 10:54 AM   #331
Angryred
Dalglish

Just get Bellingham in & that's our midfield sorted for the next decade & probably tempt Klopp to stay on as manager
Old 29-09-21, 12:14 PM   #332
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_H View Post
Iíve been really worried that we might be overhyping this lad & putting far too much pressure on him.

But now Iíve come in here and seen Fredo compare him to Zidane, Iím confident none of that overhyping or putting too much pressure on him is happening.

Phew.

I'd say he is like elite level Zidane but at the age of 21. So better really.
Old 29-09-21, 12:34 PM   #333
rudedog
Pig hater

I was really impressed with his assist for the third goal - you saw him look up and clock Mo out on the right, he then just waited for the space to open up and when it did it made the final ball look easy
rudedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-21, 01:08 PM   #334
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post

I'd say he is like elite level Zidane but at the age of 21. So better really.

There's definitely something in the Jones/Zizou comparison, I think it is the way he keeps control of the ball when turning - just feels reminiscent of the French baldie headbutter.
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1

Curtis Julian Jones Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-21, 01:11 PM   #335
Charly
Dalglish

He tries things the other midfields dont do, and sometimes loses the ball when they dont come off.

I wonder if he does those things against instructions, as we hardly ever see midfielders having long shots. I always assumed they were under instruction not to.

It does make him feel like a breath of fresh air and adds a bit of unpredictability that we seem to be missing. Less machine like. I think that its good to be able to mix it up a bit.

I do definitely see a bit of Zidane in the way he moves... although I am not quite sure he is at that level yet. Still young enough to develop into a top tier player.
Old 29-09-21, 01:19 PM   #336
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charly View Post
He tries things the other midfields dont do, and sometimes loses the ball when they dont come off.

I wonder if he does those things against instructions, as we hardly ever see midfielders having long shots. I always assumed they were under instruction not to.

It does make him feel like a breath of fresh air and adds a bit of unpredictability that we seem to be missing. Less machine like. I think that its good to be able to mix it up a bit.

I do definitely see a bit of Zidane in the way he moves... although I am not quite sure he is at that level yet. Still young enough to develop into a top tier player.
this is the thing...
Our midfield has been too beige for ages, no one doing risky or adventurous stuff.

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-21, 04:01 PM   #337
Fierce
I'm only the bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charly View Post

We've been crying out for a Coutinho since Coutinho left. Harvey Elliot looked to be that player, and assuming last night wasn't a one off; Jones can be that player too

It did seem like a marked improvement on his past performances though. I don't think we should be proclaiming him the messiah after one game, but if he's been instructed to play more creatively and this is the result, long may it continue
Old 08-10-21, 10:54 AM   #338
Fuzzy
Fagan

Is he injured again?
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-21, 11:08 AM   #339
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Is he injured again?
I read that he missed the England U21 game with a knock but they were hoping that he will be available for the game on Monday.

Also I didn't know Lee Carsley was England U21 manager

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC