It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 16-01-11, 11:40 PM   #1
Craig_H
Football's all about the kids!

Jamie Carragher

About how we're 'worse with him in the side', how we 'have a negative goal difference with him in the side', how we're 'better without him playing' etc etc.

The facts and statistics prove all of the above comprehensively wrong....

This seasons stats...

With Carra:

Played 22 Won 10 Drawn 6 Lost 6 Goals For 29 Goals Against 22 GD +7
Win percentage: 45%
Loss percentage 27%
Positive GD

Without Carra:

Played 12 Won 3 Drawn 4 Lost 5 Goals For 15 Goals Against 16 GD -1
Win percentage: 25%
Loss percentage: 41%
Negative GD

So in future, those wishing to claim that he is a liability who we are better off without, can clearly see this is just incorrect. The FACT is, that we win more when he plays and we lose more when he doesnt.

If they wish to argue that we'd be better off signing a quality CB and putting him in the side instead of Carragher - that may well be a valid point. But that's not what i have seen them saying.

That is all.

Last edited by Craig_H; 16-01-11 at 11:45 PM.
Craig_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 16-01-11, 11:43 PM   #2
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_H View Post
About how we're 'worse with him in the side', how we 'have a negative goal difference with him in the side', how we're 'better without him playing' etc etc.

The facts and statistics prove all of the above comprehensively wrong....

This seasons stats...

With Carra:

Played 22 Won 10 Drawn 6 Lost 6 Goals For 29 Goals Against 22 GD +7
Win percentage: 45%#
Loss percentage 27%
Positive GD

Without Carra:

Played 12 Won 3 Drawn 4 Lost 5 Goals For 15 Goals Against 16 GD -1
Win percentage: 25%
Loss percentage: 41%
Negative GD

So in future, those wishing to claim that he is a liability who we are better off without, can clearly see this is just incorrect. The FACT is, that we win more when he plays and we lose more when he doesnt.

If they wish to argue that we'd be better off signing a quality CB and putting him in the side instead of Carragher - that may well be a valid point. But that's not what i have seen them saying.

That is all.
It's just coincidence.
Old 16-01-11, 11:44 PM   #3
Craig_H

Old 16-01-11, 11:45 PM   #4
Vermilion
Shooterista

So this is for half a season only, was this the argument/accusation, that he's now past it, but he's only been past it this season ?

Is that what your refering to as 'the Carra myth' Craig ? I've not taken much notice of what's been said about him tbh.

Last edited by Vermilion; 16-01-11 at 11:47 PM.
Vermilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-11, 11:46 PM   #5
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Doesn't mean we can't do better though. Ideally he'd be a squad player for me. Need a top class CB.
Old 16-01-11, 11:46 PM   #6
Drago
Hodgsoned

Doesn't take a genius to work out most people problem with Carra, and it's nothing to do with football ability.

He is on the slide and he does need replaced but he's definitely one of our first choice centre backs right now.
Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-11, 11:47 PM   #7
Craig_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilion View Post
So this is for half a season only, was this the argument/accusation, that he's now past it, but he's only been past it this season ?
Certain posters who shall remain nameless, have peddled this nonsense that we have been worse with him in the side, than we have without.

Whether he is 'past it' or not, is debatable, for sure.

But of the players we have now, we do far better when he plays.
Old 16-01-11, 11:48 PM   #8
Craig_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Doesn't mean we can't do better though. Ideally he'd be a squad player for me. Need a top class CB.
For sure, i agree with that.

But of those that we have, he warrants his place in the team and we certainly do better when he plays.

I sense you're moving over to the dark side, where Carra's concerned
Old 16-01-11, 11:48 PM   #9
ronniedrew
Benitez

At the game today , it's clear there is no organisation without him in the side

We will be a lot better with him back and might have taken 6 points from the last 2 games
ronniedrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-11, 11:51 PM   #10
Vermilion
Shooterista

Quote:
Certain posters who shall remain nameless, have peddled this nonsense that we have been worse with him in the side, than we have without.

Whether he is 'past it' or not, is debatable, for sure.

But of the players we have now, we do far better when he plays.
I see.

Definately missing his organisation and motivational qualities just now.
Vermilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-11, 11:51 PM   #11
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
For sure, i agree with that.

But of those that we have, he warrants his place in the team and we certainly do better when he plays.

I sense you're moving over to the dark side, where Carra's concerned
The contract sham left a real sour taste, I think he's past his best and no longer good enough for where we want to be, and I worry that it will take a manager with big bollocks to leave him out.
Old 16-01-11, 11:54 PM   #12
Craig_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
The contract sham left a real sour taste, I think he's past his best and no longer good enough for where we want to be, and I worry that it will take a manager with big bollocks to leave him out.
I agree he is past his best. But even his 'sub-best' is currently the best partner for Agger.

It depends on what circumstances you would want him left out. With the squad we have, i dont see the scenario that says he should be dropped.

If we sign a quality aggressive CB, then yeah, for sure he becomes a squad player and not an automatic 1st teamer.
Old 16-01-11, 11:54 PM   #13
Fivex
The Wisp

He's still an important player but he's not untouchable any more - is i think what people are trying to say. Short term plan yes but medium term solution no. It wouldn't be unreasonable to expect to get a big name in by the end of Aug imo.
Old 16-01-11, 11:59 PM   #14
TheElephantMan
Hodgsoned

I thought he'd become a bit of a liability, but I've realised that we're much weaker without him in the side. The sooner he returns the better.
TheElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-11, 11:59 PM   #15
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
I agree he is past his best. But even his 'sub-best' is currently the best partner for Agger.

It depends on what circumstances you would want him left out. With the squad we have, i dont see the scenario that says he should be dropped.

If we sign a quality aggressive CB, then yeah, for sure he becomes a squad player and not an automatic 1st teamer.
Yeah at the moment I'd have him and Agger, but as I said I'd love to see a quality CB come in. Who though is another matter.
Old 17-01-11, 12:00 AM   #16
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

I'm not sure what happened to Skrtel though. He looked excellent in his first year under Rafa.
Old 17-01-11, 12:02 AM   #17
Craig_H

Confidence, young soldier.
Old 17-01-11, 12:19 AM   #18
Arn
Alway confused

Carra isn't top four quality. We and Chelsea have the same problem. How to replace a legend. They need to replace Terry and we Carra.

It is not something you just go out and do because of the influence they have off the pitch. You need a strong manager and a board that backs the manager 100% to do that.

We need more complete central defenders or else the opposition will just use the weakness they have against us.

If Carra plays, stress him. If Kyrgiakos plays, stress him and play the ball on the ground. If Skrtel plays, use his weakness on dead ball situations against him. Agger is our only "complete" central defender.

Craig, you do know that we finished second 08/09 when Torres and Gerrard only played together 22 times. If we go by your logic then we shouldn't play them together. We played our best season the last 20 years when our so called super combination of Torres and Gerrard didn't play that much together.

Statistics doesn't prove everything.

from now on I will skip talking about our finances. That is a promise and will save myself from looking like a

Susan Black
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-11, 12:26 AM   #19
Craig_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn View Post
Carra isn't top four quality. We and Chelsea have the same problem. How to replace a legend. They need to replace Terry and we Carra.

It is not something you just go out and do because of the influence they have off the pitch. You need a strong manager and a board that backs the manager 100% to do that.

We need more complete central defenders or else the opposition will just use the weakness they have against us.

If Carra plays, stress him. If Kyrgiakos plays, stress him and play the ball on the ground. If Skrtel plays, use his weakness on dead ball situations against him. Agger is our only "complete" central defender.

Craig, you do know that we finished second 08/09 when Torres and Gerrard only played together 22 times. If we go by your logic then we shouldn't play them together. We played our best season the last 20 years when our so called super combination of Torres and Gerrard didn't play that much together.

Statistics doesn't prove everything.
Shut up with your loony nonsense shite mate.

I should have put a 'Arn cant post' rule on this thread

The stats PROVE that we do better with Carragher than we do without. Fact.
Old 17-01-11, 12:46 AM   #20
DannyMan2006
Paisley

What are the stats for the league games?

I agree Carra should start (with Agger) but I don't remember us being much better with him in the side. Hence people were moaning about him.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 17-01-11, 01:43 AM   #21
Baracus
Roggy

When's Carragher back?
Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-11, 02:08 AM   #22
Fivex
The Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMan2006 View Post
What are the stats for the league games?
In fairness i'd like to see stats for all the permutations of our CMs.
Old 17-01-11, 02:34 AM   #23
Arn
Alway confused

Quote:
Shut up with your loony nonsense shite mate.

I should have put a 'Arn cant post' rule on this thread

The stats PROVE that we do better with Carragher than we do without. Fact.
Maybe you should have put a "you are free to post your opinion about Carra as long as it the same as mine" rule on this thread.

Carra is simply not good enough. He was that two three years ago.

You must also look at what kind of system you want us to play. If you want us to play a high pressing game with a high defensive line then Carra would struggle. If you want us to play like we did with Roy then it would suit him much better.

Attacking game....No Carra.

from now on I will skip talking about our finances. That is a promise and will save myself from looking like a

Susan Black
Old 17-01-11, 02:36 AM   #24
Craig_H

Quote:
Maybe you should have put a "you are free to post your opinion about Carra as long as it the same as mine" rule on this thread.

Carra is simply not good enough. He was that two three years ago.

You must also look at what kind of system you want us to play. If you want us to play a high pressing game with a high defensive line then Carra would struggle. If you want us to play like we did with Roy then it would suit him much better.

Attacking game....No Carra.
I'm not talking about ifs and buts, and i'm not talking about 'opinions' here - it is factually proven this season that when Carra plays, we win more.

FACT Arn. Not opinion.
Old 17-01-11, 02:43 AM   #25
Arn
Alway confused

Quote:
I'm not talking about ifs and buts, and i'm not talking about 'opinions' here - it is factually proven this season that when Carra plays, we win more.

FACT Arn. Not opinion.
And why did we do that? The answer is that we played a very defensive game. A game that suited him perfectly.

If you want us to change and play a more attacking game then you also need central defenders that will be able to pass the ball out of a tight and pressured situation. Carra is very good DEFENSIVE central defender but a very average attacking central defender.

Susan Black
Old 17-01-11, 02:45 AM   #26
Craig_H

Quote:
And why did we do that? The answer is that we played a very defensive game. A game that suited him perfectly.

If you want us to change and play a more attacking game then you also need central defenders that will be able to pass the ball out of a tight and pressured situation. Carra is very good DEFENSIVE central defender but a very average attacking central defender.
Yeah, having a defensive central defender's mental isnt it?

Maybe the ideal balance is one of each? Just a thought....
Old 17-01-11, 08:58 AM   #27
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Wonder how many games Agger and Krygiakos have played together. I'd give them a go. Skrtel needs resting.
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1

Curtis Julian Jones Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-11, 09:01 AM   #28
Reece

Didn't Ayala come back from loan due to injury? He did will at Hull by all accounts. I wonder if he'll get a chance eventually.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-11, 09:03 AM   #29
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

I read Hull want him back. Might be worth a go!
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1

Curtis Julian Jones Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-11, 09:05 AM   #30
Reece

From Le Beeb

Hull City await next move on Liverpool youngster Ayala

Daniel Ayala scored his only goal for Hull City against Derby in September
Hull City are still to find out whether Liverpool's young Spanish defender Daniel Ayala will be allowed to return on loan to the KC Stadium this season.
Ayala, 20, went back to Anfield with a hamstring injury in December, amidst claims by then Reds boss Roy Hodgson that Hull had mismanaged the problem.
But Tigers boss Nigel Pearson told BBC Radio Humberside: "I'm not going to get involved in that conversation now.
"He's a player we enjoyed having here, but we'll have to wait and see."
Ayala signed for Liverpool in 2008, but found first team opportunities limited under both Hodgson and previous manager Rafa Benitez, making just two league starts.
He joined Hull in September 2010, making a total of 12 appearances, during which time the Tigers shipped just 13 goals, one of the tightest defensive records in the Championship.
Ayala is not expected to be fit now until mid-February after picking up his hamstring problem in November.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-11, 09:37 AM   #31
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:

I agree with all that
Old 17-01-11, 11:58 AM   #32
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElephantMan View Post
I thought he'd become a bit of a liability, but I've realised that we're much weaker without him in the side. The sooner he returns the better.

My sentiments exactly. I was looking forward to the defensive experiment without Carragher, but sadly it has failed miserably.

What Craig’s post also doesn’t highlight is that we’ve had a long run of easy games on paper since Carragher got injured and we’ve still done worse. A new CB is needed urgently or Kenny should throw Ayala / Wilson / Kelly in at the deep end.
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-11, 11:59 AM   #33
Tee
El Pistolero

Right now we need Carra but it is inevitable that he will need to be phased out due to 1) his age and 2) hopefully our progression in playing style.
Old 17-01-11, 12:02 PM   #34
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReet View Post

My sentiments exactly. I was looking forward to the defensive experiment without Carragher, but sadly it has failed miserably.

What Craig’s post also doesn’t highlight is that we’ve had a long run of easy games on paper since Carragher got injured and we’ve still done worse. A new CB is needed urgently or Kenny should throw Ayala / Wilson / Kelly in at the deep end.
We need a leader of the defence, at the moment Carragher is the only one we have, Skrtel and Kyriakos aren't good enough, Agger I'm unsure about he seems to have a more calming influence on the defence than either of the other two, the problem is he doesn't seem to get a run of enough games to find out.

The last few games has caused me to think that a commanding centre back has to be high on the list of priorities
Old 17-01-11, 01:09 PM   #35
RedReet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
We need a leader of the defence, at the moment Carragher is the only one we have, Skrtel and Kyriakos aren't good enough, Agger I'm unsure about he seems to have a more calming influence on the defence than either of the other two, the problem is he doesn't seem to get a run of enough games to find out.

The last few games has caused me to think that a commanding centre back has to be high on the list of priorities
Aye, a few months ago when Kyrgiakos was regularly picking up MOTM awards I’d have said that a new CB is the least of our worries, but we need to get someone in ASAP who we can rely on week in week out, settle on a regular back four and start picking up clean sheets again. I’d say even Pepe needs to even step it up a gear or two as bar the 30 second flurry of saves against United I can’t remember him doing too much of late. (I’m probably being overly harsh on him as I’ve had him in my FF team for ages and am getting no points.)

There was also one set-piece in the second half yesterday when everyone took up their positions. One of the bigger Everton players was left free at the back though and our players were looking at eachother as if to say ‘what the fuck do we do here?’. A player was then pulled from the centre which highlighted the fact that Lucas was left in the middle marking the much bigger Anichebe who inevitably had a free header which he put wide. It was just a bit of a shambles really as TBH I wasn’t surprised when we conceded the first goal and even less surprised that Skrtel was culpable.
Old 17-01-11, 01:20 PM   #36
Subby
George Soros

the "problem" with Carra isn't really his ability, may be on the wane but not too much thus far, it's more to do with the clout he carries in the dressing room. Shop steward scenario?

Subby

www.subbytech.com - Use your "est" discount code to get 15% off everything in the store too

MetalliGear Neo Qube : Ryzen 3600 : Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite : 32GB Dominator 3600Mhz : Sabrent Gen 4 NVME SSD : 3080Ti Founders : MasterLiquid 360 : 850w G2 : CableMod custom cables : Win 10
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-11, 01:39 PM   #37
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReet View Post
Aye, a few months ago when Kyrgiakos was regularly picking up MOTM awards I’d have said that a new CB is the least of our worries, but we need to get someone in ASAP who we can rely on week in week out, settle on a regular back four and start picking up clean sheets again. I’d say even Pepe needs to even step it up a gear or two as bar the 30 second flurry of saves against United I can’t remember him doing too much of late. (I’m probably being overly harsh on him as I’ve had him in my FF team for ages and am getting no points.)

There was also one set-piece in the second half yesterday when everyone took up their positions. One of the bigger Everton players was left free at the back though and our players were looking at eachother as if to say ‘what the fuck do we do here?’. A player was then pulled from the centre which highlighted the fact that Lucas was left in the middle marking the much bigger Anichebe who inevitably had a free header which he put wide. It was just a bit of a shambles really as TBH I wasn’t surprised when we conceded the first goal and even less surprised that Skrtel was culpable.
Kyriakos is just so cavalier in his approach he's either going to have a great game and be immence, or he's going to make a really bad mistake. He was only really a stop gap and as a 4th choice defender would be fine in normal circumstances, it's just worrying we have to use him so much, because of injuries.

I can recall Pepe making a couple of mistakes this season (opening day) and another but I can't recall the game, but other than that he's been fine. I think the problem is the defence in front of him, I know it's a cliche but a keeper is only as good as his back 4 and our back four is all over the place, so that doesn't inspire confidence.
Old 17-01-11, 04:15 PM   #38
Redspin
Not even the slightest bit grumpy

Quote:

You appear not to have read the rules. Please refrain from posting logical arguments and common sense in this thread
Redspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-11, 06:11 PM   #39
RedReet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
Kyriakos is just so cavalier in his approach he's either going to have a great game and be immence, or he's going to make a really bad mistake. He was only really a stop gap and as a 4th choice defender would be fine in normal circumstances, it's just worrying we have to use him so much, because of injuries.

I can recall Pepe making a couple of mistakes this season (opening day) and another but I can't recall the game, but other than that he's been fine. I think the problem is the defence in front of him, I know it's a cliche but a keeper is only as good as his back 4 and our back four is all over the place, so that doesn't inspire confidence.

I’m not saying that Pepe has been playing badly, he’s been left horribly exposed by the defence in front of him. Last year we didn’t defend great either, but Pepe was still able to pull us out of a few holes and was regularly nominated for MOTM.

I suppose though all that ‘English style’ training has probably had an effect.
Old 17-01-11, 06:11 PM   #40
Arn
Alway confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redspin View Post
You appear not to have read the rules. Please refrain from posting logical arguments and common sense in this thread

Sorry

Susan Black

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC