It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 26-02-14, 10:23 PM   #6521
Chazza
Des Lynam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post
I've never been on red cafe before, but I'm sure one of them just said "King Kenny". I didn't expect that.
Were they refering to Paddy Kenny?
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-14, 10:24 PM   #6522
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazza View Post
My bad.
Old 26-02-14, 10:24 PM   #6523
ChesterDave
Paisley

Quote:
Unlikely after the performance he put in for QPR in that game about Man City
ChesterDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-14, 10:27 PM   #6524
Liverpel
Anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post
I've never been on red cafe before, but I'm sure one of them just said "King Kenny". I didn't expect that.
'Tis true.

"Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a woeful appointment from the off, but didn't at all see it being this bad. In fact only a guy at my work, a Tottenham fan (who is obviously used to spotting mediocrity) called this happening from the off.
Most others seemed to think we'd be 3rd, and have an outside shot of the league.

This summer we're going to lose a lot of our supposed higher moral ground over City and Chelsea.
Either we're going to lash figures that make a mockery of us complaining at their spending, or we're going to sack a manager really quickly, which we slate them for.

My money is on option 1. Which is quite frightening, as we basically spent 27m on Fellaini without him solving anything, and I really fear Mata won't see his best form here under Moyes either.

King Kenny, who I thought was an utter bellend in his last spell at Liverpool seems to talk a lot of sense in his Mirror column, saying the Rooney deal will cause us big problems attracting people in the summer. Why won't top players expect the same wage!
Are we going to be issuing 200k+ deals to loads of players!"
Old 26-02-14, 10:28 PM   #6525
Boogs
Shankly

Quote:
Nope. King Kenny writes a column in the mirror and they were referring to that
Old 26-02-14, 11:35 PM   #6526
HamboCairns
Run the Jewels

Old 26-02-14, 11:38 PM   #6527
HamboCairns
Run the Jewels

Old 26-02-14, 11:40 PM   #6528
HamboCairns
Run the Jewels

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...-pokes-3184388
Old 26-02-14, 11:55 PM   #6529
Chazza
Des Lynam

Quote:
The Glazers have backed David Moyes to rebuild ageing United

The manager's high-tech scouting set-up with its extensive list of possible transfer targets has impressed the owners

David Moyes continues to have the firm backing of the Glazer family despite his dismal inaugural campaign as the Manchester United manager. The American owners are disappointed yet remain calm about Moyes' performance since replacing Sir Alex Ferguson at the start of the season. Even after the dire 2-0 defeat by Olympiakos in the Champions League and a title defence that has United 11 points from qualifying for next season's competition, the view is that this is a "once in a lifetime" happening.

Such is the faith in Moyes that the ambition for 2014-15 is not to finish in a Champions League position but to win a 21st domestic title.

The support Moyes enjoys from the Glazers is based on the depth and detail with which he has restructured the club. Moyes has reconfigured United's scouting system, with the 50-year-old creating a dedicated nerve-centre at Carrington that resembles the "bunker" from which he plotted player acquisition at Everton when manager.

Ferguson's was a more intuitive approach that centred on tapping into the knowledge of his chief scout, Jim Lawlor, rather than having detailed files drawn up on players.

Moyes has installed a bespoke facility that houses whiteboards, computers, high-definition screens, iPads and other state-of-the-art digital technology at United's training ground. This allows the manager easy access to data on players of all positions, ages and career trajectory from around the world, while also maintaining immediate contact with a global network of scouts.

An illustration of how the system works can been seen in Moyes' need to strengthen at centre-back, with Nemanja Vidic leaving and Rio Ferdinand's future in the balance. Scouts provide differing targets who are established players at tier-one and tier-two clubs or less heralded options of potential only.

The most important recruit to the set-up is Robbie Cooke, Moyes's chief scout at Everton, who joined last summer and reports to Lawlor. Yet as in other areas, the manager is particularly hands-on, executing duties Ferguson rowed back on during his 26-year tenure.

The Glazers have been disappointed at how Moyes's first season in charge has unfolded. The sentiment is shared by Ed Woodward, the executive vice-chairman, who had not envisaged quite how poorly United would fare. There is, though, an acceptance that a kind of perfect storm of factors have contributed to United's predicament. These include an ageing squad, deficits in central midfield and in the wide positions, plus the inevitable transition after the departure of English football's greatest manager.

Lessons have been learned from last summer and a disastrous transfer strategy. There will be greater clarity and swifter action in the market. There is a confidence that no repeat will occur of the botched attempts to sign Everton's Leighton Baines and Athletic Bilbao's Ander Herrera, or the scenario that had United scrambling to sign Marouane Fellaini on deadline day for £4m more than his £23.5m release clause.

The lists of four players, in descending order of preference, in each required position have already been drawn up. United are focused on left-back, centre-back, central midfield and in the forward department owing to doubts over the futures of Robin van Persie and Javier Hernández.

The coup of prising Juan Mata from Chelsea, a direct rival, in January was indicative of the progress Moyes – and Woodward – have made and, with the size of the transfer fund available to the manager, there is an optimism the summer will yield the big signings required.

There is also an awareness that United's profile means the club can be used as leverage by players hoping to secure better terms. Toni Kroos, the midfielder Moyes retains an interest in, is one believed to be doing so during his contract negotiations with Bayern Munich.

Beyond Vidic and Ferdinand, Patrice Evra could also depart, though both the left-back and club have an option for him to sign for another year. United also hold an option on Ferdinand, which expires in mid-May, though the Frenchman is currently more likely than the centre-back to remain.

Even if Evra does stay, Moyes will still pursue a left-back, with Southampton's Luke Shaw the No1 choice, though there is competition from Manchester City and Chelsea, who are in pole position to land him. Shaw is a Chelsea fan, with his parents living close to the club's Cobham base.

There has been no offer yet of a new deal for Ryan Giggs and there is a break clause in the five-year contract Nani signed last September.

Moyes believes Wilfried Zaha has a chance to be a long-term United player despite his occasional tardy time-keeping and his loan to Cardiff City.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/...ted?CMP=twt_gu
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-14, 12:03 AM   #6530
Leyton388
aka liverpooltj

Quote:
Quote:
Moyes has installed a bespoke facility that houses whiteboards, computers, high-definition screens, iPads and other state-of-the-art digital technology at United's training ground. This allows the manager easy access to data on players of all positions, ages and career trajectory from around the world, while also maintaining immediate contact with a global network of scouts.
Davy doing overtime on youtube player video's.
Leyton388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-14, 12:04 AM   #6531
rudedog
Pig hater

That bunker could prove a shrewd piece of business if their results keep going the same way
rudedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-14, 12:06 AM   #6532
Leyton388
aka liverpooltj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudedog View Post
That bunker could prove a shrewd piece of business if their results keep going the same way
Worked out well for Hitler.
Leyton388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-14, 12:16 AM   #6533
Resu
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigey View Post
Is it?

Think what Bodgson did with us was on a par if not worse.
The ship was allready leaking when the Bodge came in, he just widenend the cracks. Moyes took over a cruiseliner and is turning it into Costa Concordia (hopefully)
Old 27-02-14, 12:38 AM   #6534
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Haha. Whiteboards, computers, ipads and other modern technology.

So basically, an office.

I wonder if he's done away with the fax machine?
Old 27-02-14, 01:03 AM   #6535
baitman
Daddy day care

must be fake, shirley...

http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/26/manche...attoo-4323851/

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson

Last edited by baitman; 22-04-14 at 02:01 AM.
baitman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-14, 04:34 AM   #6536
peekay
Dr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyton388 View Post
Davy doing overtime on youtube player video's.

If Mostar checks the IP address of his subscribers he might find one from the Manc training ground
peekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-14, 08:04 AM   #6537
RichC
Meh

hoofball is alive and well

Quote:
In the wake of their Champions League defeat at Olympiakos, Van Persie, 30, has criticised his Manchester United team-mates for a lack of service as it is revealed goalkeeper David De Gea played the most passes to the Dutchman.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-14, 08:51 AM   #6538
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Manchester United players are 'bemused' by manager David Moyes' tactics, especially his insistence that the central midfielders stay behind the ball.
Full story: the Times (subscription only)

Former Wales assistant coach Raymond Verheijen has criticised a "desperate" Manchester United for handing Wayne Rooney a new contract and believes Dutch striker Robin van Persie should leave Old Trafford if he wants to win trophies.
Full story: Evening Standard

The Red Devils will block any attempts by Van Persie to leave Old Trafford in the summer.
Full story: Daily Telegraph
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-14, 08:59 AM   #6539
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
Old 27-02-14, 09:31 AM   #6540
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...b-9155916.html

Quote:
David Moyes handed 12 games to convince Manchester United he is still the right man for the job

David Moyes, the Manchester United manager, has as few as 12 games to demonstrate to the Glazer family that he is the man they should trust with a £200m summer transfer kitty, to fulfil their aim of winning the Premier League next season.

Though the club's owners retain full confidence in Moyes, the defeat at Olympiakos in the worst performance of his seven months at the helm appears to have changed the mood about the manager's capacity to turn around the situation at Old Trafford. United have not contemplated changing manager this summer, with the expectation being that Moyes will have set United on course by the next campaign. But he is not immune to dismissal if there is a downward momentum between now and May. The fall-off in performances – United have taken 45 points from 27 Premier League games this season compared with 68 from 27 last season – is on a scale the club had simply not anticipated.

Tuesday's defeat in Athens prompted a rush of rumours of Moyes' departure to spread across social media. They were false, though several more bad results could leave Moyes in a very vulnerable position, with United facing Liverpool and Manchester City at home in a nine-day spell next month. Those games fall either side of the Champions League last-16 home leg against Olympiakos in which United must repair a 2-0 deficit after this week's dismal away-leg display. Moyes has 10 weeks to satisfy the Americans that he is the man to rebuild United into a side who can challenge for the title next season.

The club, who are privately resigning themselves to a season out of the elite European competition, will launch into the transfer market this summer with a pitch to prospective new players that winning the Premier League – rather than merely regaining a top-four place – is their ambition for 2014-15. Potentially there could be six new recruits in a pivotal four months of business. The situation is complicated by the World Cup but the club hope that business for German or Spanish players could be completed before that tournament.

United harbour some hope that Patrice Evra's obvious affection for the club – manifest in him being one of the best performers this season – may persuade him to stay and share responsibilities with a new, younger left-back. The club anticipate competition from Chelsea and Manchester City for Southampton's Luke Shaw. Bayern Munich's Toni Kroos has been a target but United will not allow themselves to be used as a bargaining tool to engineer better contracts for other clubs' players.

Moyes will also be asked to develop the players he already has, as United's board feel that the "churn" of seven players coming in and going out has the potential to alter the dressing-room dynamics, leaving the manager with too much integration to contend with early in the season.

Wilfried Zaha may return to United from his loan spell at Cardiff City, despite his limited chances so far. The problem this season has been the lack of games which he could be thrown into from the bench. Too much has been riding on too many games.

Moyes will only stay if the club's owners believe he has the capability to turn a £200m investment in players into success on the pitch. One of the most disquieting aspects of the last month is that United do not seem to be improving despite the return of the Robin van Persie/Wayne Rooney partnership after injuries and the addition of Juan Mata to the ranks. Many of the players in Moyes' squad – including Tom Cleverley, Shinji Kagawa and Danny Welbeck – appear desperately short on confidence.

United came under fire over emails warning season-ticket holders who had not met their obligatory payment for the Olympiakos home match in three weeks that they would be refused their season-ticket entrance for the Manchester City home game if they didn't pay up.

The timing, 24 hours after the defeat in Athens, was unfortunate though those fans do owe the club for the Champions League tie and the course of action taken to secure payment was standard.
Old 27-02-14, 09:31 AM   #6541
john316
Dalglish

I'm at least reassured that it sounds as if he'll get the chance to fuck up another season before getting the sack.

EDIT: Hmm, that story from The Independent now has me back in doubt again. I need Moyes to spend any pot of cash rather than a competent manager with a pedigree!
john316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-14, 09:52 AM   #6542
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

The interesting thing will be who they get to replace Moyse (lets assume he's fucked, because, well... he's fucked! - he will not turn this around).

With Fergie sat up in the throne room pulling the strings and travelling to every game home and away no matter how meaningless, and a lot of on field problems to fix I am not sure how appealing a position it will be. Equally what profile of manager do they go for now, I suspect it will be someone with a good track record, but they are not so easy to find.

Money talks I suppose.
Old 27-02-14, 09:56 AM   #6543
john316
Dalglish

I doubt they'll be short of applicants if Moyes did get canned after the season. A nice pot of cash to spend and a nice payoff if it all goes tits up?
Old 27-02-14, 09:59 AM   #6544
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I suppose ...when you put it like that.

Hopefully Moyes can win enough games to get kept on then, maybe a valiant dash to the Europa league or something. Would love to be seeing them playing those Thursday nights!

Last edited by Buzzo; 27-02-14 at 10:02 AM.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-14, 10:01 AM   #6545
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
The interesting thing will be who they get to replace Moyse (lets assume he's fucked, because, well... he's fucked! - he will not turn this around).

With Fergie sat up in the throne room pulling the strings and travelling to every game home and away no matter how meaningless, and a lot of on field problems to fix I am not sure how appealing a position it will be. Equally what profile of manager do they go for now, I suspect it will be someone with a good track record, but they are not so easy to find.

Money talks I suppose.
All their fans understandably want Klopp. Would he go there? Things aren't going as well as they were at Dortmund. Maybe he'd fancy a new challenge? I must admit that one does slightly worry me but my gut feeling is he wouldn't go there.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-14, 10:02 AM   #6546
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyton388 View Post
Worked out well for Hitler.

Does that make Looney Moyes' Eva Braun?
Old 27-02-14, 10:11 AM   #6547
dww
humourless curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo1981 View Post
All their fans understandably want Klopp. Would he go there? Things aren't going as well as they were at Dortmund. Maybe he'd fancy a new challenge? I must admit that one does slightly worry me but my gut feeling is he wouldn't go there.
I can't see why he would chose to rebuild an aging team with uncertain levels of resource rather than a younger one where he knows the setup and can build a genuine legacy.

To be fair to Moyes the Fergusson legacy at United was a total hospital pass of a squad and a board who seemed to believe in managerial miracles over sustained investment or squad development. Not the most attractive choice for a manager with other options.
Old 27-02-14, 10:14 AM   #6548
Darkon
Football Expert

I think Klopp is nailed on as the new German national manager after the WC this summer. He has spoken positively about the job and it's a public secret that Löw will stop this summer.
Darkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-14, 10:16 AM   #6549
Yozza
Shankly

'Desperate' Manchester United should have sold Wayne Rooney... and Robin van Persie should quit Old Trafford 'swamp', claims former Wales coach Raymond Verheijen

Swamp: Raymond Verheijen believes there isn't space in the United ranks for both Wayne Rooney and Robin van Persie

Former Wales assistant coach Raymond Verheijen has slammed Manchester United for handing Wayne Rooney a bumper deal, claiming the Reds should instead have sold the England international.

The opinionated fitness specialist has built a reputation for criticising Premier League training methods in the past; most recently accusing David Moyes of overtraining Robin van Persie during the summer.

And now Verheijen has taken to social media to claim United’s decision to hand an ‘ageing’ Rooney a five-and-a-half-year deal was driven by the commercial benefits.

“The Man United board must have been extremely desperate to save the Utd brand by giving a 300K per week salary to an ‘over the hill’ player,” he Tweeted.

“Wayne Rooney is no longer a world class player. He is a player who once in a while delivers a world class performance.”

The Dutch coach suggested the Reds would have been better off shelving the forward and rebuilding around the ‘much better’ Van Persie, with Juan Mata occupying the space behind the striker in Rooney's absence.

“The problem of keeping both RVP & Rooney is that both players have to play. Playing with 2 strikers means nr 10 Mata has to play on the wing.”

And Verheijen later advised Van Persie to jump ship if he harbours any hope of winning trophies in the final years of his career, adding: "It would be better for him to leave the Man United swamp."

Bob's Miserable Bastards Club Member #2
Yozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-14, 10:18 AM   #6550
Yozza
Shankly

Just hope they don't go for Klopp - mad genius

Bob's Miserable Bastards Club Member #2
Yozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-14, 10:19 AM   #6551
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkon View Post
I think Klopp is nailed on as the new German national manager after the WC this summer. He has spoken positively about the job and it's a public secret that Löw will stop this summer.
I couldn't imagine him being the type of manager who's only around his players a few times a year. He looks the obssessive type who'd want a day to day interaction with his squad. I don't think International football feels a good fit for him, a bit like Rafa or Mourinho. They'll probably all do it right at the end of their careers.

Agree with a lot of what dww says though, and hope Klopp thinks the same way. He seems a man of his own mind and not one to be swayed by public opinion.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-14, 10:21 AM   #6552
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

@DWW - "a board who seemed to believe in managerial miracles over sustained investment or squad development." Sounds familiar that second part of the penultimate sentence.

Last edited by Roboklopp; 27-02-14 at 10:26 AM.
Roboklopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-14, 10:28 AM   #6553
john316
Dalglish

Klopp might look at Bayern and think he can't compete against them now. He might see the Utd job as a good opportunity to get a bigger job and all he has to do is out-do Moyes to look successful.
Old 27-02-14, 10:35 AM   #6554
Darkon
Football Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo1981 View Post
I couldn't imagine him being the type of manager who's only around his players a few times a year. He looks the obssessive type who'd want a day to day interaction with his squad. I don't think International football feels a good fit for him, a bit like Rafa or Mourinho. They'll probably all do it right at the end of their careers.

Agree with a lot of what dww says though, and hope Klopp thinks the same way. He seems a man of his own mind and not one to be swayed by public opinion.
Perhaps not, but Klopp himself have declared interest in job and said it's an interesting challenge an opportunity, so I reckon he is clear favorite to take over.
Darkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-14, 10:58 AM   #6555
JohnDoe
Ian Holloway

I want them to beat City.
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-14, 11:10 AM   #6556
PTP
Passion for fire alarms or extinguishers?

it's happening to quick.

i want them out of the champions league, lose to us and no chance of 4th but some sort of good enough turnaround towards the end of the season to keep him in charge for another year of damage
Old 27-02-14, 11:20 AM   #6557
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

They'll raise their game against us. Got a 0-0 with Chelsea and beat a cowardly Arsenal at home, although neither of those teams really tried to win whereas we'll go for it. Still, we won't drub them like we did Spurs.
Old 27-02-14, 11:33 AM   #6558
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
They'll raise their game against us. Got a 0-0 with Chelsea and beat a cowardly Arsenal at home, although neither of those teams really tried to win whereas we'll go for it. Still, we won't drub them like we did Spurs.
...an early goal. Sterling running at Evra, Suarez buzzing around Vidic and Ferdinand. Sturridge evading the offside trap.

Get at them early and who knows!
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1

Curtis Julian Jones Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-14, 11:37 AM   #6559
PTP
Passion for fire alarms or extinguishers?

- if moyes is still there and things are bad - if we come out and score early/start on fire it may just kill them off - heads will drop, fans will boo and we'll end moye
Old 27-02-14, 11:38 AM   #6560
john316
Dalglish

They've not really had a chasing at Old Trafford this season. Some terrible performances but can't recall them even losing by more than a goal. Us and Man City I'm sure will give it a good go though!

est1892 > Football > General Football