It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 13-09-21, 11:12 AM   #26481
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Midfield against Newcastle got cut through a few times at the weekend, neither Fred, Matic or McTomminay are up to it for me.

We'll see where they end up and I think they'll be in the shout this season for it but still some weaknesses in key areas and I'm far from convinced that Ole has it in him for the big games

Thing is though their midfield is good enough to be part of a unit that beats most non top six teams more often than not, and it is also good enough to stifle/spoil/frustrate against better midfields a lot of the time as well.

Does their team and squad have weaknesses in it? Yes it does but you would be hard pushed to find any team without weaknesses or that did not have scope for some improvement.

Even our own team once you move past the starting XI has plenty of weaknesses in it, and there are plenty on here that would argue that the starting XI could be improved upon in a position of two.

For me, the biggest weakness Man U have is the manager and I do think if they had someone like Klopp in charge last season, using the squad they had last season, that they would have won the title. Their squad was certainly not weaker than the Leicester title winning squad and like that Leicester team/wquad it seems to have the ability/potential to be greater as a team than the sum of it's parts.

Until of course you look at Ole and then we are back to them having their biggest obstacle leading them.
Old 13-09-21, 11:33 AM   #26482
Scratch
If you fail once....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboCairns View Post
So did ours, Leeds had several decent chances where they bypassed our midfield.
Several? One in the 5th minute that a better player would have scored, but other than that I can only remember Bamford trying to lob Alisson from about 40yds? Admittedly I was trying to cook a curry at the same time as watching, but I don't think i missed that much?
Old 13-09-21, 11:43 AM   #26483
HamboCairns
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
Several? One in the 5th minute that a better player would have scored, but other than that I can only remember Bamford trying to lob Alisson from about 40yds? Admittedly I was trying to cook a curry at the same time as watching, but I don't think i missed that much?
Ayling should have buried one in the top corner too. Raphina's run and pass too.
Old 13-09-21, 11:49 AM   #26484
RichC
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious View Post
Thing is though their midfield is good enough to be part of a unit that beats most non top six teams more often than not, and it is also good enough to stifle/spoil/frustrate against better midfields a lot of the time as well.

Does their team and squad have weaknesses in it? Yes it does but you would be hard pushed to find any team without weaknesses or that did not have scope for some improvement.

Even our own team once you move past the starting XI has plenty of weaknesses in it, and there are plenty on here that would argue that the starting XI could be improved upon in a position of two.

For me, the biggest weakness Man U have is the manager and I do think if they had someone like Klopp in charge last season, using the squad they had last season, that they would have won the title. Their squad was certainly not weaker than the Leicester title winning squad and like that Leicester team/wquad it seems to have the ability/potential to be greater as a team than the sum of it's parts.

Until of course you look at Ole and then we are back to them having their biggest obstacle leading them.
Of course we have weaknesses but the point really is that with the midfield they have they will struggle against the fellow top 6 and with Ole even more so.

Up top they'll score a load this season I think and Ronaldo will get a fair share of goals against sides this season, we all know he's going to score for them.

I think the favourites for the title should probably Chelsea with the squad they have followed by City then us and the Mancs.

It'll be an interesting season tbh especially with fans back, a few players that stood out in empty stadiums might well go back the other way with the fans back (Shaw)
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-21, 12:02 PM   #26485
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I'm so bored of them.

I have so far successfully avoided everything to do with their game at the weekend
Old 13-09-21, 12:10 PM   #26486
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Me too
Old 13-09-21, 12:15 PM   #26487
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I only watch our game on MOTD now. I fast forward the rest.

I've gone old school. The only time I find out about the opposition is when we play them. I've no interest in watching highlights of them, City, Chelsea etc.

If there is a good goal or controversial incident, then I will see it on here.
Old 13-09-21, 12:25 PM   #26488
Fivex
The Wisp

Exactly the same here. Watching other teams interests me about as much as watching an England game.
Old 13-09-21, 12:28 PM   #26489
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:
Some players just keep going -

Ronaldo
Milner
Ibrahimovic
Totti
Silva

Great players that remain top class close to their 40s!
these guys just keep themselves in such good condition physically and mentality that it prolongs their career. Elite athletes.
Old 13-09-21, 01:26 PM   #26490
Tribute
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivex View Post

Exactly the same here. Watching other teams interests me about as much as watching an England game.
+1
Tribute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-21, 01:28 PM   #26491
Tribute
Shankly

Quote:
Some players just keep going -

Ronaldo
Milner
Ibrahimovic
Totti
Silva

Great players that remain top class close to their 40s!
...and Lucas Leiva
Old 13-09-21, 01:28 PM   #26492
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Of course we have weaknesses but the point really is that with the midfield they have they will struggle against the fellow top 6 and with Ole even more so.

Up top they'll score a load this season I think and Ronaldo will get a fair share of goals against sides this season, we all know he's going to score for them.

I think the favourites for the title should probably Chelsea with the squad they have followed by City then us and the Mancs.

It'll be an interesting season tbh especially with fans back, a few players that stood out in empty stadiums might well go back the other way with the fans back (Shaw)

But will they? Last season out of the ten games against the rest of the top six, they lost two (against Leicester and us in the final weeks of the season) won three and drew five.

So 14 points against the other five in the top six.

Man city against the top six last season reads three losses, three draws and four wins so 15 points.

Chelsea against the top six reads three losses, two draws and five wins so 17 points.

Us against the tops six was three losses, two draws and five wins so 17 points just like Chelsea.

So the red Mancs were not quite as good but not exactly struggling against the top six when compared to their peers.

And I never suggested they would win the title or that I thought they would be one of the main favourites. What I said was that last season I think their squad was good enough to win the title had they a manager of real quality like Klopp instead of the manager they have. For me their main weakness as a team is their manager and that their results are pretty good given the "calibre" of their manager and current coaching room staff.

I think the red Manc team gets underrated at times because of who their manager is and well because we want them to be shyte. On paper their team reads like it is weak in certain areas, like in midfield as on paper their midfield is very underwhelming and as individual players their midfidlers look very very average players, but as a unit they seem to work as a very dull or functional but effective unit.

For me they are only a good manager away from being able to hang with a fully fit us, Man City and Chelsea. Plus with us, City and Chelsea all likely to nick points from the other, what the red mancs need to do is what they usually do fairly well and that is mop up the weaker teams in the league.

I don't see Man U finishing higher than fourth this season, hopefully lower, but there is a decent team there and the weaker sections of their team are really more functional than outright weak imo.
Old 13-09-21, 01:37 PM   #26493
Tribute
Shankly

Quote:
But will they? Last season out of the ten games against the rest of the top six, they lost two (against Leicester and us in the final weeks of the season) won three and drew five.

Man city against the top six last season reads three losses, three draws and four wins so 15 points.

Chelsea against the top six reads three losses, two draws and five wins so 17 points.

Us against the tops six was three losses, two draws and five wins so 17 points just like Chelsea.

So the red Mancs were not quite as good but not exactly struggling against the top six when compared to their peers.

And I never suggested they would win the title or that I thought they would be one of the main favourites. What I said was that last season I think their squad was good enough to win the title had they a manager of real quality like Klopp instead of the manager they have. For me their main weakness as a team is their manager and that their results are pretty good given the "calibre" of their manager and current coaching room staff.

I think the red Manc team gets underrated at times because of who their manager is and well because we want them to be shyte. On paper their team reads like it is weak in certain areas, like in midfield as on paper their midfield is very underwhelming and as individual players their midfidlers look very very average players, but as a unit they seem to work as a very dull or functional but effective unit.

For me they are only a good manager away from being able to hang with a fully fit us, Man City and Chelsea. Plus with us, City and Chelsea all likely to nick points from the other, what the red mancs need to do is what they usually do fairly well and that is mop up the weaker teams in the league.

I don't see Man U finishing higher than fourth this season, hopefully lower, but there is a decent team there and the weaker sections of their team are really more functional than outright weak imo.
Some good points Jaco... For me, it's about their consistency. If they can put a good run of wins together, it doesn't matter how shit we all think Ole is, the team/squad could carry the momentum through the season.

That's my worry... that Ole isn't needed and the team gather sufficient momentum, confidence and results to just steamroller the dross and hold their own against the top six.

They could finish higher than fourth, they could be contenders with Ronaldo's return and the euphoria around the place. It might not fade...

Chavs and Citeh are definitely in the mix but on our day, on song and playing to our abilities, we can easily go toe to toe with all of them.

Crowds could be the turning point this season as Citeh don't have any and United have the green and gold/Glazers out/Glazers in/Neville is a hero/Neville is a pantomime villain/Fergietime/PE Teacher set of fans who change with the wind, but they do actually turn up for the team...
Old 13-09-21, 01:39 PM   #26494
HamboCairns
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by danperkins View Post
these guys just keep themselves in such good condition physically and mentality that it prolongs their career. Elite athletes.
Yup, I'd love to have their mindset for a year - I'd really sort myself out!
Old 13-09-21, 01:49 PM   #26495
rudedog
Pig hater

Quote:

Last year was an anomaly though, not sure how relevant any comparison to this season would be.
rudedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-21, 01:49 PM   #26496
Exiled_red
Paisley

They clearly have the attacking players to get them goals the question is whether they have the defence and midfield to get them results in the tight games. The defence is seemingly settled so the remaining question is what they do in midfield. If they have a couple of guys in midfield like Matic and McTominay who are prepared to just do the donkey work in midfield and they can cover for Fernandes, Ronaldo and whoever else they play up top then I think they have a good chance of the league IMO the form of the guys in those roles will be key.
Old 13-09-21, 02:05 PM   #26497
danperkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReet View Post
Ole will be a bigger factor than egos IMO. Pogba was excellent LW first two games, but to get Sancho into the side, Pogba was dropped back into midfield and Wolves and Newcastle were able to get at them. With Ronaldo there, Pogba will definitely play CM more, unless Ole has the balls to start dropping him. Once Cavani, Rashford, Martial and everyone else is fit, be interesting to see how Ole sets up. Some will say it's a good problem to have, but that's if the manager is good enough to handle it.
it's going to be very interesting to see what happens when they hit a bit of adversity... which will happen at some point.
Old 13-09-21, 02:05 PM   #26498
danperkins

Quote:
Yup, I'd love to have their mindset for a year - I'd really sort myself out!
you and me both mate
Old 13-09-21, 02:15 PM   #26499
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudedog View Post
Last year was an anomaly though, not sure how relevant any comparison to this season would be.

Maybe it was an anomaly or maybe that is where their bar is. Hard to know until we are further into this season.

Only thing I do know is that is the most recent form we have to go on and whilst we are only four games into this season they are maintaining that form.

My gut is that they are now a comfortable 72 to 80 point a season team and will grind out something like that regardless of whether the likes of us , City and Chelsea are having 90 point seasons or whether we are having 70 to 80 point seasons.
Old 13-09-21, 03:00 PM   #26500
Patricks_Berger
Fagan

Quote:
That's why they have spent hundreds of millions and signed other players, nobody ever said one player does not make a team but when you have a Ronaldo or Messi in your team that are scoring 50 or 60 goals a season... it's hard to argue that one player does make one hell of a difference.

Ronaldo now is probably in better shape than most pro footballers and they still have signed one of the best in the world and one of the best of all time which seems to have set off some nostalgia too. Will his body give up at some point soon? Absolutely but until then you talk to any United fan, they are only delighted with this transfer window and so they should be. We are all just hoping egos kick in and shit hits the fan but not sure if I see it myself.
When was the last time he scored 50 or 60 goals in a season? Itís not 2012 anymore.
Patricks_Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-21, 03:00 PM   #26501
vlahka
Still sulking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Did vlahka write them all?
There is a possibility!
vlahka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-21, 03:01 PM   #26502
HamboCairns
Run the Jewels

Quote:
you and me both mate
Old 13-09-21, 03:38 PM   #26503
Mr Pink
Benitez

Quote:
They will destroy alot of the fodder and will score lots of goals this season.
Iíve heard a lot of people saying this and donít really get it tbh. Theyíll destroy a lot of the teams theyíre better than- yes, so will all the big teams. Out of the 4 contenders, we dropped points to chelsea, chelsea dropped points to us, city dropped points to spurs, and united dropped points to 14th place (would be 17th if united beat them) SouthamptonÖ

Theyíve had an easy opening 4 games and the only game that I was impressed by them was Leeds 1st day. Such an undeserved win against 13th place wolves, and the game against 19th placed Newcastle was even enough until the keeper gave them a few gifts. When Newcastle equalized I really fancied them to get something from the game, even though there was plenty of time left. Fair enough all wins count as 3 points, but theyíve not been destroying fodder in my opinion.
Old 13-09-21, 03:47 PM   #26504
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

4-1 and 5-1 counts imo. Dropping two points away vs at home against 10 men. I don’t know, it’s all too early to tell, but they were second last year and are improved this year on paper.
Old 13-09-21, 04:17 PM   #26505
rudedog
Pig hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
4-1 and 5-1 counts imo. Dropping two points away vs at home against 10 men. I donít know, itís all too early to tell, but they were second last year and are improved this year on paper.
They finished second because Chelsea had Lampard managing them and we had the worst injury run ever.

They wonít get that kind of fortune again this season.
Old 13-09-21, 04:34 PM   #26506
Mr Pink
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
4-1 and 5-1 counts imo. Dropping two points away vs at home against 10 men. I donít know, itís all too early to tell, but they were second last year and are improved this year on paper.

Weíve improved on paper too(having our injured players back), and so has chelsea. Iím not saying United wonít be up there. They will, for sure. Personally I think city and chelsea are much bigger threats though. If we finish ahead of those 2, weíre winning the league IMO.

My point was more about the narrative that they will roll over all the small teams- donít see why people are saying that about them, specifically, over any of the other contenders. They played 4 small teams, and were the worse team in 2 of those games (wolves and Southampton). Fair enough, they still got 4 points from those 2 games, Iím just saying, I donít see why people think they will walk all over the small teams.
Old 13-09-21, 04:37 PM   #26507
frank the tank
Shankly

Everyone is right...... Jaco made some really good points.

I think the one we all agree on is that Ole isn't a top manager. His record in Europe shows that. Also, we fuckin know a dodgy manager when we see one...... we've had Roy Hodgson for fuck sake!!! Ole is a legend at that club (or at least a cult hero) so that will buy him time. A bit like Roy Evans - or maybe Souness - at LFC. So right now, as a Liverpool fan, I actually hope that Ole does reasonably ok. He's a little bit like Spud in Trainspotting when he was going for job interviews. He wanted to look like he was doing ok in an interview but didn't want to actually get the job!!! That's how I feel about Ole.......i want him to be there or there-abouts without actually winning anything. Because otherwise United will go and put a Conte or someone half-decent in there and go and do well. I'm totally relieved that they didn't appoint Tuchel when he was available because I think he would have had similar success at United.

Them in the Europa final last year was brilliant. Even if they won it, it wouldn't have really meant anything to be honest. As Roy Keane said, they were only in the europa final because they fucked up the champions league group. The fact that they lost it makes it sweet.

I think if United missed out on top 4 then Ole would get the bullet to be honest.
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-21, 05:18 PM   #26508
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
Everyone is right...... Jaco made some really good points.

I think the one we all agree on is that Ole isn't a top manager. His record in Europe shows that. Also, we fuckin know a dodgy manager when we see one...... we've had Roy Hodgson for fuck sake!!! Ole is a legend at that club (or at least a cult hero) so that will buy him time. A bit like Roy Evans - or maybe Souness - at LFC. So right now, as a Liverpool fan, I actually hope that Ole does reasonably ok. He's a little bit like Spud in Trainspotting when he was going for job interviews. He wanted to look like he was doing ok in an interview but didn't want to actually get the job!!! That's how I feel about Ole.......i want him to be there or there-abouts without actually winning anything. Because otherwise United will go and put a Conte or someone half-decent in there and go and do well. I'm totally relieved that they didn't appoint Tuchel when he was available because I think he would have had similar success at United.

Them in the Europa final last year was brilliant. Even if they won it, it wouldn't have really meant anything to be honest. As Roy Keane said, they were only in the europa final because they fucked up the champions league group. The fact that they lost it makes it sweet.

I think if United missed out on top 4 then Ole would get the bullet to be honest.
That second paragraph is mental. Yet I understood exactly what you meant.
Old 13-09-21, 05:39 PM   #26509
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Absolutely yeah. I mean, in isolation I want them to lose every game they play, but I'm ok with them coming 4th or whatever. For all their massive competitive advantage over us financially, it's negated by the gulf in class between our managers.
Old 13-09-21, 05:47 PM   #26510
ChesterDave
Paisley

I'm definitely happy with them treading water for ages with Ole. Plodding along and winning the odd domestic cup and a decent run in the Europa after early CL exits etc. Ole failing and getting the elbow risks them getting a competent manager
ChesterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-21, 06:40 PM   #26511
rudedog
Pig hater

Old 13-09-21, 07:07 PM   #26512
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Paddy Power are brilliant. They give no fucks in a world where everyone is too cautious at offending anyone. Mind you the cunts have had £30 off me on the slots last week.
Old 13-09-21, 07:12 PM   #26513
ChesterDave
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post
Paddy Power are brilliant. They give no fucks
Expected the post to end with 'at who originally tweeted the jokes they steal'.
ChesterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-21, 10:09 PM   #26514
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterDave View Post
Expected the post to end with 'at who originally tweeted the jokes they steal'.
Do they? Ah fuck them then.
Old 13-09-21, 11:03 PM   #26515
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

A snippet from Garth Crooks team of the week column

It's only right and proper that a team like Manchester United have the best players money can buy. It is after all Manchester United.

Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-21, 12:02 AM   #26516
HamboCairns
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post
Paddy Power are brilliant. They give no fucks in a world where everyone is too cautious at offending anyone. Mind you the cunts have had £30 off me on the slots last week.
That's because they're not taking the piss out of the weak or disadvantaged.

People seem to get confused about the difference between speaking their mind and being an arsehole.
Old 14-09-21, 04:23 PM   #26517
Irishnev
Paisley

Bollox - you really think they serve Brownies......fuck off

Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-21, 05:30 PM   #26518
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Ronaldo will be thinking "who the fuck are you" when 'Lee Grant' walks up to him
Old 14-09-21, 05:33 PM   #26519
McDermotX
Paisley

Of course, I doubt 'Cristiano' will be telling them about the 'special ingredient' he adds to his diet.
Old 14-09-21, 05:36 PM   #26520
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDermotX View Post

Of course, I doubt 'Cristiano' will be telling them about the 'special ingredient' he adds to his diet.
"Vitamin supplements"

Has he ever been drug tested

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > General Football