It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 06-07-21, 01:23 PM   #481
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Also, what the fuck does Piers Morgan know about mental toughness in the sporting arena

He just hates young women showing any sign of vulnerability it seems.
Old 06-07-21, 01:49 PM   #482
RichC
Meh

It looked like a panic attack to me and if you've ever had one you'd only have sympathy for her.

She did amazingly well to get through to a 4th round match in her first grand slam, critisising her for not maybe dealing with what was an enormous amount to pressure is utterly ridiculous but it's Piers Morgan so I'm not massively surprised.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 01:51 PM   #483
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Also, what the fuck does Piers Morgan know about mental toughness in the sporting arena
Indeed in any arena

Old 06-07-21, 01:55 PM   #484
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Indeed in any arena

Yeah, he's a fucking bully. Can't handle it at all when things dont go his way.
Old 06-07-21, 02:19 PM   #485
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Old 07-07-21, 04:48 PM   #486
ChesterDave
Paisley

I'm not watching but it would appear from social media reaction that John Inverdale is discussing with Boris Becker how Hungarian women are the best during the tennis on BBC1.
ChesterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-21, 06:28 PM   #487
RichC
Meh

Time for Fed to hang it up now. What a player but time has caught up with him
Old 07-07-21, 07:14 PM   #488
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

2021 Tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Time for Fed to hang it up now. What a player but time has caught up with him

Murray should do same as well.
Old 07-07-21, 07:33 PM   #489
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I think they should both play on as long as they want.
Old 07-07-21, 07:57 PM   #490
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
I think they should both play on as long as they want.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-21, 10:42 PM   #491
RichC
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
Murray should do same as well.
Different situation but it depends what they’re playing for.
Old 08-07-21, 11:26 PM   #492
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Old 11-07-21, 03:24 PM   #493
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Berrettini fights back from a break down to win the first set v Djokovic.
Old 11-07-21, 05:38 PM   #494
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Djokovic wins in 4.

He is going to get the Men’s Slams record and then some. Nobody will ever match it.
Old 11-07-21, 05:44 PM   #495
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Berrettini looks a huge talent.
Old 11-07-21, 06:13 PM   #496
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Berrettini looks a huge talent.
6ft 5"

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-21, 06:35 PM   #497
spud_gun
Paisley

Who'd have thought a decade ago that you'd see Federer replaced as the GOAT while he was still actively playing?

Novak is obviously a massive knob but his achievements are.up there with any in sport.
spud_gun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-21, 09:58 AM   #498
Scratch
If you fail once....

No objections to Novak being considered the GOAT, he has a phenomenal record on all surfaces. It did bug me that Nadal could have held the record himself, when 13 of his 20 slams are Clay. But Djoko seems to excel on all surfaces, much like Federer...yes, he only won the 1 French Open, but he reached, what, 5 finals and came up against a rampant Rafa everytime.
Old 15-07-21, 08:25 AM   #499
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
Who'd have thought a decade ago that you'd see Federer replaced as the GOAT while he was still actively playing?

Novak is obviously a massive knob but his achievements are.up there with any in sport.
Could make a case for him being the greatest in any sport ever, imo. To eclipse Federer in the greatest ever era of men's tennis is absolutely remarkable.
Old 15-07-21, 09:19 AM   #500
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Could make a case for him being the greatest in any sport ever, imo. To eclipse Federer in the greatest ever era of men's tennis is absolutely remarkable.
Would say that his most impressive feat is beating Nadal. Federer's a between era champ. Won most of his slams when better players weren't playing. As soon as Nadal and Novak got a bit older, they beat Federer with relative ease. Big difference between beating Cilic, Murray and Safin in a final opposed to Djokovic or Rafa.

It's like yes, Larry Holmes was a great fighter with great wins on his record. Can't say he's better than Foreman, Ali or Frazier though. Federer beating Agassi is like Holmes beating a million year old Ali.
Zapater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-21, 09:38 AM   #501
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
Would say that his most impressive feat is beating Nadal. Federer's a between era champ. Won most of his slams when better players weren't playing. As soon as Nadal and Novak got a bit older, they beat Federer with relative ease. Big difference between beating Cilic, Murray and Safin in a final opposed to Djokovic or Rafa.
With respect, what a load of nonsense.

Won most of his slams when better players weren’t playing. To win any Slam is to win 7 best of 5 set matches over a two week period. To do it once is an achievement to do it 20 times is incredible. There’s no luck. There is no such thing as a between era champion. You’ve created that.

You could also say that Novak and Rafa were lucky to not play Roger when he was at the peak of his powers. Or that Rafa won most of his slams on one surface.

Novak will go on to be the greatest, but the reasons that you give in discrediting the achievement of others miss the unbelievable efforts of all of them. Tennis is an incredibly difficult sport to play, the nuances involved in winning a match are tougher than pretty much any other sport.
Old 15-07-21, 10:46 AM   #502
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
With respect, what a load of nonsense.

Won most of his slams when better players weren’t playing. To win any Slam is to win 7 best of 5 set matches over a two week period. To do it once is an achievement to do it 20 times is incredible. There’s no luck. There is no such thing as a between era champion. You’ve created that.

You could also say that Novak and Rafa were lucky to not play Roger when he was at the peak of his powers. Or that Rafa won most of his slams on one surface.

Novak will go on to be the greatest, but the reasons that you give in discrediting the achievement of others miss the unbelievable efforts of all of them. Tennis is an incredibly difficult sport to play, the nuances involved in winning a match are tougher than pretty much any other sport.
the 'with respect'. I'm not so fragile that that's required.

I disagree with that notion entirely. Federer was in his late 20s, still very much in his prime when he stopped winning regularly. Most of his slams were between 03 and 07. After that they were intermittent and mainly in tournaments where the other two were beaten by other opponents or were injured. I never claimed that he was lucky in terms of questioning his ability.

So how is it nonsense when the majority of his recent wins involve him beating the likes of Berdych, Cilic, Anderson, etc in the quarters onwards. I can't be bothered looking up stats, but Djokovic is up 11-6 in grandslams whilst Nadal is 10-4. They both have an almost 2:1 ratio of win to losses to Federer on the big stage. The fact that he's still been beating the players outside of the top brass for the last several years indicate that Federer's skills hadn't diminished. I've said on this thread before that I'm far from a tennis expert, but those numbers are clear in white and black.

It's not his fault that he wasn't a few years younger and couldn't go toe to two with Sampras and Agassi in his prime. I think timing is sometimes an important thing in sports and it's Federer has got his just right. Do you honestly think beating Safin, Hewitt and Rodick is the same Nadal?

Comparing sports doesn't really make sense as they are all unique, I'd say boxing is the hardest sport of them all though. Technique, discipline, tactics, conditioning and heart.

Naunces? Feel the next post is going to tell me to wallow in myself.
Zapater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-21, 10:55 PM   #503
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Andy Murray rolling back the years against 23 year old 3rd seed Tsitsipas.

2-1 up.

On Amazon Prime.
Old 30-08-21, 10:58 PM   #504
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

This is incredible. I thought he'd get pasted in straight sets.
Old 30-08-21, 11:12 PM   #505
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

His best Tennis is still unreal. It’s just his fitness

Going toe to toe today though
Old 31-08-21, 12:00 AM   #506
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

His head's gone here. He's right, Tsitsipas was cheating but he's gotta let it go.
Old 31-08-21, 12:21 AM   #507
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Still going on about it
Old 31-08-21, 12:31 AM   #508
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Still going on about it

Like a superhero in his quest for justice.

They both look fucked. I think Tsitsipas is going to hold on. 4 hours and 45 mins - just crazy levels of fitness required.
Old 31-08-21, 12:32 AM   #509
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

I’m loving the no line judges thing.
Old 31-08-21, 12:34 AM   #510
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Now or never for the break.

Murray just asked for the trainer, just a wind up

He’s had that done to him many many times Novak.
Old 31-08-21, 12:40 AM   #511
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Tsitsipas wins in 5. Murray lost momentum start of the 4th.

Murray still raging about Tsitsipas cheating

Loudly “It’s a fucking joke”
Old 31-08-21, 09:55 AM   #512
RichC
Meh

Tsitispas channelled full on Djokovic there.
Old 31-08-21, 10:08 AM   #513
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Tsitispas channelled full on Djokovic there.

He really did. Its absolute shit house tactics during a 5 hour match, and Murray would never do the same (his 'can I take an injury time out' gag before the final game was very pointed).

Some encouraging signs for Andy though, and kudos to his surgeon.
Old 31-08-21, 10:20 AM   #514
RichC
Meh

He played well, just doesn't have the fitness levels at the moment but that's the most encouraging signs I've seen of his game still being there or there abouts
Old 31-08-21, 10:45 AM   #515
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
He played well, just doesn't have the fitness levels at the moment but that's the most encouraging signs I've seen of his game still being there or there abouts
agreed he was great. He ran out of gas, but that is understandable. Where can he take this? It will be interesting to find out.
Old 31-08-21, 11:49 AM   #516
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Murray doesnt miss a thing. Tsitsipas going to change his racquet at 0-30 was maximum shit-housery. He is effectively re-setting.

Quote:
Andy Murray says he "lost respect" for third seed Stefanos Tsitsipas during a feisty US Open match where the Briton accused his opponent of "cheating" by taking lengthy bathroom breaks.

Murray was angered by the Greek having an eight-minute toilet break before the fifth set of their first-round match.

Tsitsipas, 23, then won the decider for a 2-6 7-6 (9-7) 3-6 6-3 6-4 victory.

"It's not so much leaving the court. It's the amount of time," Murray said. "It's nonsense and he knows it."

The three-time Grand Slam champion added: "That's annoying for me because it sounds like sour grapes because you've lost a match.

"I would have said the same thing if I'd won, I promise."

I think it's nonsense and Tsitsipas knows it - Murray
Murray shows glimpses of best but Tsitsipas fights back to win US Open clash
Tsitsipas, who did not break any rules, also left court for a toilet break at the end of the second set and had a medical time-out for treatment on a foot injury before the fourth set.

"It's just disappointing because I feel it influenced the outcome of the match," Murray said. "I'm not saying I necessarily win that match, for sure, but it had influence on what was happening after those breaks."

During the final set, where Murray was decisively broken in the first game, the 34-year-old Scot could be heard shouting towards his box: "It is cheating."

He also complained to chair umpire Nico Helwerth and US Open match supervisor Gerry Armstrong about the length of time taken by Tsitsipas.

"It's never taken me that long to go to the bathroom ever," Murray told Armstrong.

Tsitsipas said afterwards he has correctly followed the guidelines throughout his career.

Explaining the length of time, the French Open finalist added: "I think it's clear that I took my clothes with me when I left the court.

"That's the amount of time it takes for me to change my clothes and to walk back to the court takes a little bit of time."

Players are allowed two breaks for using the toilet and changing clothes in a five-set match, with breaks only permitted at the end of a set.

"A player may request permission to leave the court for a reasonable time for a toilet break," Grand Slam rules state.

When asked if he could understand Murray's anger, Tsitsipas said: "If there's something that he has to tell me, the two of us should speak to understand what went wrong.

"I don't think I broke any rules. I don't know how my opponent feels when I'm out there playing the match. It's not really my priority."

Murray said long breaks in such a "brutal" match can affect players physically and called for the rules to be changed "because it's not good for the sport, it's not good for TV, it's not good for fans".

"Every single time it was before my serve, as well. Also in the fourth set when I had 0-30, he chose to go and I think he changed his racquet," the former world number one added.

"It can't be coincidence that it's happening at those moments.

"I rate him a lot. I think he's a brilliant player. I think he's great for the game. But I have zero time for that stuff at all, and I lost respect for him."
Old 02-09-21, 10:11 AM   #517
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Tsitsipas is very good, but a bit of a bellend. Would have loved to see a Murray in his prime smash him in straight sets.

Thought Murray looked very good. He looks absolutely ripped, you can see his abs through his t-shirt FFS Not sure how he can get much fitter, but the top level tennis players are at an almost unbelievable level of fitness. 5 hours matches without ever seeming to tire.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-21, 10:41 AM   #518
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Definitely

I was playing tennis to a decent-ish club standard until relatively recently (Lockdown) I played in a tournament that was one set head to head. If I came up against a decent player and we went to a tie break the set took about an hour.

I was absolutely wrecked at the end of that hour.

How they do it for 5, at elite level and intensity defies belief.
Old 06-09-21, 08:43 PM   #519
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Raducanu crushing Rogers who knocked out Barty. She's a phenom.
Old 06-09-21, 08:48 PM   #520
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Come on Emma the Brit
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > General > General Sports