It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > General Football

Old 12-07-21, 02:30 PM   #2321
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
Surely with all the coaching staff you have these days (and England's history with pens) you know who is on the pitch and available to take one

I would have thought you essentially have a ranked order of pen takers through the whole squad, obviously there are only 11 guys on the pitch but and someone might not be able to take it on the day but surely the purpose of those last min subs was to take off your lowest ranked pen takers and put some higher ranked ones on. The idea that you don't know who is on the pitch would be remarkable
You'd have thought that one of the coaches job is to work on the penalty list and basically give it to Southgate to rubberstamp. Looks really shambolic.
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1

Curtis Julian Jones Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-21, 02:32 PM   #2322
Liverpool
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
If Sterling was never going to take one why not take him off at the end of ET. I would have thought Henderson and Walker would have been options, in the warm up games Henderson was 'fighting' DCL to take a pen. To be honest I'm glad he didn't take one but given that surely he'd at least back himself.
I was thinking last night if Henderson gave that pen to DCL and he scored, they'd both have been in the 5.
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-21, 02:35 PM   #2323
Tribute
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool View Post
seems like he was weighing up Pickford or Saka for the 5th pen?

blanking Grealish

https://twitter.com/Limpar33/status/1414402561352904713
Might be being naive here, but wouldn't the team practice pens in training, manager sees who's up for it... then speaks to the squad about it... chooses the five key takers, get's them to practice taking their pens in order... then the whole things becomes a well-oiled machine and no-one gets worried, flustered, changes mind, etc on the walk up in the actual game...

If you want to be bloody good (clinical) at something, it's practice, practice, practice. Didn't Beckham used to spend hours after training taking free kicks...

Can't believe players 'aren't up for it' after a game. The only excuse would be a muscle injury. Mentally, if they prepared rigorously for it, there should be no issues.

Just me then?
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-21, 02:36 PM   #2324
Liverpool
Paisley

I know you can't replicate the pressure but surely every England camp/training they should video them all taking pens. Profile who's better and where they prefer to put them. Then compare that to which keeper they are facing and a computer spits out the order.

Or get Steve Holland deciding in the last moment.
Old 12-07-21, 02:37 PM   #2325
fah-q
Touching cloth

Stress does funny things to even athletes bodies. Look at Dida in the 2005 CL penalty shootout. You can see how he doesn’t move properly and he was a well seasoned world class keeper.
fah-q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-21, 02:39 PM   #2326
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

It definitely seems mad that it’s real back of a fag packet stuff.

Totally agree that they must have some stats based data which would make the whole thing a lot easier. Also, telling players they are taking them because you back them to score and the data backs them might provoke a more positive mind set.

That said, maybe the data had Sancho, Saka and Rashford all nailed on to score? What ever approach England have, doing the opposite is clearly the solution.
Old 12-07-21, 02:39 PM   #2327
Liverpool
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute View Post
Might be being naive here, but wouldn't the team practice pens in training, manager sees who's up for it... then speaks to the squad about it... chooses the five key takers, get's them to practice taking their pens in order... then the whole things becomes a well-oiled machine and no-one gets worried, flustered, changes mind, etc on the walk up in the actual game...

If you want to be bloody good (clinical) at something, it's practice, practice, practice. Didn't Beckham used to spend hours after training taking free kicks...

Can't believe players 'aren't up for it' after a game. The only excuse would be a muscle injury. Mentally, if they prepared rigorously for it, there should be no issues.

Just me then?
They've been practicing taking them and which position in the 5 each player prefers. I wonder if Southgate didn't want to burden them with too much penalty info and just be free in the moment.

He didn't give them time to over think it.
Old 12-07-21, 03:00 PM   #2328
McDermotX
Paisley

Top, top handling of a security situation.

Bodes well for that 2030 World Cup bid
Old 12-07-21, 03:55 PM   #2329
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute View Post

Just me then?
I think you need to have a good idea of where all the players in the squad are on penalty ranking, you can't just pick 5 as it could go to more than 5 pens and those players may not be on the pitch when it comes to shoot out for all kinds of reasons (injury, sending off, substitution etc).

Taking pens is more about nerve than ability to take a penalty, I would expect that most professional players should be able to take a good penalty in training but it has to be different in the match situation. So I wouldn't be surprised if some players who you might expect to take one based on training performance don't feel that they can do it on the day, particularly the younger players. I would probably evaluate players on both ability to take pens and (perceived) ability to handle pressure and rank players in terms of those who take decent pens and handle pressure well, hopefully you have enough players who taken good pens and handle pressure well, if not then you have a decision to make, I would probably then go with someone who takes an OK pen but handles pressure well. That's part of the reason why I was surprised that Henderson and Walker were taken off as they are players who have been in big games and similar situations.

Last edited by Exiled_red; 12-07-21 at 04:00 PM.
Exiled_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-21, 04:38 PM   #2330
Charly
Dalglish

Replicating the pressure is difficult.

I suggest electrodes on the testicles. Closest thing I can think of to a "please dont miss please dont miss" situation... Although some might miss on pupose, they should be able to deterime that in training.

Its interesting Liverpools record in penalty shoot outs. I can only recall one loss. Obviously that is a higher level of technique than England could muster.
Old 12-07-21, 04:45 PM   #2331
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charly View Post

I suggest electrodes on the testicles. Closest thing I can think of to a "please dont miss please dont miss" situation... Although some might miss on pupose, they should be able to deterime that in training.

Its interesting Liverpools record in penalty shoot outs. I can only recall one loss. Obviously that is a higher level of technique than England could muster.
How about electrodes on close family members who are tied up and sat behind the goals? Electronic frequency is increased as pens are missed?
Old 12-07-21, 04:45 PM   #2332
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by danperkins View Post
Chiesa was class when he played, Pedri looks a serious talent, Olmo was very impressive too.

Olmo is probably the most likely to join LFC.

Pedri would be amazing
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-21, 04:47 PM   #2333
Charly
Dalglish

Depends which family member. Some may only be worth one testicle... Others you might be like "I do love you... but..."

Then there is the mother-in-law.
Old 12-07-21, 04:55 PM   #2334
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Depends which family member. Some may only be worth one testicle... Others you might be like "I do love you... but..."

Then there is the mother-in-law.
Good point. Would need to be researched to ensure it mattered enough.
Old 12-07-21, 05:20 PM   #2335
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:

Our recent record isn't that good

https://www.lfchistory.net/Stats/PenaltyShootouts

Lost 4 out of last 6 in last 5 or so years...
Old 12-07-21, 09:45 PM   #2336
Charly
Dalglish

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit... I am getting old.

The only one I could recall was the Northampton Town one.

My brain blots out all the bad shit...

As far as I am concerned, we are still League Champions, and Champions of Europe.
Old 12-07-21, 10:14 PM   #2337
S-RED
Dalglish

won the only important one out of those thou
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-21, 06:26 AM   #2338
SB
Paisley

Quote:

So Sterling & Grealish won’t be taking one then
Old 13-07-21, 07:57 AM   #2339
rodo
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDermotX View Post
Top, top handling of a security situation.

Bodes well for that 2030 World Cup bid
loads of stuff from sunday reminded me of athens 07 which was proper moody
Old 04-08-21, 09:26 PM   #2340
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Nice.

est1892 > Football > General Football