It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-21, 01:23 PM   #481
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 46,286
Also, what the fuck does Piers Morgan know about mental toughness in the sporting arena

He just hates young women showing any sign of vulnerability it seems.
__________________
Create a memory
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 01:49 PM   #482
RichC
Meh
 
RichC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 35,788
It looked like a panic attack to me and if you've ever had one you'd only have sympathy for her.

She did amazingly well to get through to a 4th round match in her first grand slam, critisising her for not maybe dealing with what was an enormous amount to pressure is utterly ridiculous but it's Piers Morgan so I'm not massively surprised.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 01:51 PM   #483
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?
 
Shaggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 131,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Also, what the fuck does Piers Morgan know about mental toughness in the sporting arena
Indeed in any arena

__________________
That were absolute diabolical
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 01:55 PM   #484
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 46,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Indeed in any arena



Yeah, he's a fucking bully. Can't handle it at all when things dont go his way.
__________________
Create a memory
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-21, 02:19 PM   #485
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 46,286
__________________
Create a memory
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-21, 04:48 PM   #486
ChesterDave
Paisley
 
ChesterDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 25,705
I'm not watching but it would appear from social media reaction that John Inverdale is discussing with Boris Becker how Hungarian women are the best during the tennis on BBC1.
ChesterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-21, 06:28 PM   #487
RichC
Meh
 
RichC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 35,788
Time for Fed to hang it up now. What a player but time has caught up with him
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-21, 07:14 PM   #488
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously
 
Fredo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 34,051
2021 Tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Time for Fed to hang it up now. What a player but time has caught up with him

Murray should do same as well.
__________________
Are we winning?
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-21, 07:33 PM   #489
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 46,286
I think they should both play on as long as they want.
__________________
Create a memory
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-21, 07:57 PM   #490
labourRed
Shankly
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 9,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
I think they should both play on as long as they want.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-21, 10:42 PM   #491
RichC
Meh
 
RichC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 35,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
Murray should do same as well.
Different situation but it depends what they’re playing for.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-21, 11:26 PM   #492
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 46,286
__________________
Create a memory
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-21, 03:24 PM   #493
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 46,286
Berrettini fights back from a break down to win the first set v Djokovic.
__________________
Create a memory
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-21, 05:38 PM   #494
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 46,286
Djokovic wins in 4.

He is going to get the Men’s Slams record and then some. Nobody will ever match it.
__________________
Create a memory
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-21, 05:44 PM   #495
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 46,286
Berrettini looks a huge talent.
__________________
Create a memory
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-21, 06:13 PM   #496
baitman
Daddy day care
 
baitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 22,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Berrettini looks a huge talent.
6ft 5"
__________________
removing all the weak links makes us stronger

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-21, 06:35 PM   #497
spud_gun
Paisley
 
spud_gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 19,061
Who'd have thought a decade ago that you'd see Federer replaced as the GOAT while he was still actively playing?

Novak is obviously a massive knob but his achievements are.up there with any in sport.
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-21, 09:58 AM   #498
Scratch
If you fail once....
 
Scratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,044
No objections to Novak being considered the GOAT, he has a phenomenal record on all surfaces. It did bug me that Nadal could have held the record himself, when 13 of his 20 slams are Clay. But Djoko seems to excel on all surfaces, much like Federer...yes, he only won the 1 French Open, but he reached, what, 5 finals and came up against a rampant Rafa everytime.
__________________
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-21, 08:25 AM   #499
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?
 
Shaggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 131,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
Who'd have thought a decade ago that you'd see Federer replaced as the GOAT while he was still actively playing?

Novak is obviously a massive knob but his achievements are.up there with any in sport.
Could make a case for him being the greatest in any sport ever, imo. To eclipse Federer in the greatest ever era of men's tennis is absolutely remarkable.
__________________
That were absolute diabolical
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-21, 09:19 AM   #500
Zapater
Dalglish
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Could make a case for him being the greatest in any sport ever, imo. To eclipse Federer in the greatest ever era of men's tennis is absolutely remarkable.
Would say that his most impressive feat is beating Nadal. Federer's a between era champ. Won most of his slams when better players weren't playing. As soon as Nadal and Novak got a bit older, they beat Federer with relative ease. Big difference between beating Cilic, Murray and Safin in a final opposed to Djokovic or Rafa.

It's like yes, Larry Holmes was a great fighter with great wins on his record. Can't say he's better than Foreman, Ali or Frazier though. Federer beating Agassi is like Holmes beating a million year old Ali.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-21, 09:38 AM   #501
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 46,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
Would say that his most impressive feat is beating Nadal. Federer's a between era champ. Won most of his slams when better players weren't playing. As soon as Nadal and Novak got a bit older, they beat Federer with relative ease. Big difference between beating Cilic, Murray and Safin in a final opposed to Djokovic or Rafa.
With respect, what a load of nonsense.

Won most of his slams when better players weren’t playing. To win any Slam is to win 7 best of 5 set matches over a two week period. To do it once is an achievement to do it 20 times is incredible. There’s no luck. There is no such thing as a between era champion. You’ve created that.

You could also say that Novak and Rafa were lucky to not play Roger when he was at the peak of his powers. Or that Rafa won most of his slams on one surface.

Novak will go on to be the greatest, but the reasons that you give in discrediting the achievement of others miss the unbelievable efforts of all of them. Tennis is an incredibly difficult sport to play, the nuances involved in winning a match are tougher than pretty much any other sport.
__________________
Create a memory
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-21, 10:46 AM   #502
Zapater
Dalglish
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
With respect, what a load of nonsense.

Won most of his slams when better players weren’t playing. To win any Slam is to win 7 best of 5 set matches over a two week period. To do it once is an achievement to do it 20 times is incredible. There’s no luck. There is no such thing as a between era champion. You’ve created that.

You could also say that Novak and Rafa were lucky to not play Roger when he was at the peak of his powers. Or that Rafa won most of his slams on one surface.

Novak will go on to be the greatest, but the reasons that you give in discrediting the achievement of others miss the unbelievable efforts of all of them. Tennis is an incredibly difficult sport to play, the nuances involved in winning a match are tougher than pretty much any other sport.
the 'with respect'. I'm not so fragile that that's required.

I disagree with that notion entirely. Federer was in his late 20s, still very much in his prime when he stopped winning regularly. Most of his slams were between 03 and 07. After that they were intermittent and mainly in tournaments where the other two were beaten by other opponents or were injured. I never claimed that he was lucky in terms of questioning his ability.

So how is it nonsense when the majority of his recent wins involve him beating the likes of Berdych, Cilic, Anderson, etc in the quarters onwards. I can't be bothered looking up stats, but Djokovic is up 11-6 in grandslams whilst Nadal is 10-4. They both have an almost 2:1 ratio of win to losses to Federer on the big stage. The fact that he's still been beating the players outside of the top brass for the last several years indicate that Federer's skills hadn't diminished. I've said on this thread before that I'm far from a tennis expert, but those numbers are clear in white and black.

It's not his fault that he wasn't a few years younger and couldn't go toe to two with Sampras and Agassi in his prime. I think timing is sometimes an important thing in sports and it's Federer has got his just right. Do you honestly think beating Safin, Hewitt and Rodick is the same Nadal?

Comparing sports doesn't really make sense as they are all unique, I'd say boxing is the hardest sport of them all though. Technique, discipline, tactics, conditioning and heart.

Naunces? Feel the next post is going to tell me to wallow in myself.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  est1892 > General > General Sports

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:47 AM.


Our Current Balance versus Target. Please help us: (Donate)

Kindly Hosted By DigitalWales
Any posts remain the responsibility of the poster. Neither est1892, its Owners nor any company affiliated will be held responsible from any disputes arising from these posts. The views raised are not necessarily those held by the website or its owners.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.