It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > General Football

Old 12-07-21, 12:52 PM   #9921
wiw
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboCairns View Post
Well he just up a bit in my estimation!
Something along these lines?

"You just went up a notch in my book. That brings you to notch one."
Old 12-07-21, 01:15 PM   #9922
Exiled_red
Paisley

What do people think of Southgate? On paper he looks to have a great record Euros final, WC semi final, better tournament record than any manager since 1966. But I feel he has been rather lucky with the draws in both tournaments they lost and went out to the decent sides they faced in the WC, same really applied here, alot has been made of the win against Germany, but that seems more like historic reasons than this German team being likely to win the tournament, so again Italy were the first good team they faced (maybe harsh on Denmark but they weren't touted as potential winners). I felt that Southgate was tactically found out last night. I felt after the first 20mins or so Italy were much the better side and far more likely winners, as they addressed the early tactical issues and Southgate had no answer for them, I also thought his handling of subs, extra time and penalty takers was poor.
Old 12-07-21, 01:31 PM   #9923
Rigadon
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
What do people think of Southgate? On paper he looks to have a great record Euros final, WC semi final, better tournament record than any manager since 1966. But I feel he has been rather lucky with the draws in both tournaments they lost and went out to the decent sides they faced in the WC, same really applied here, alot has been made of the win against Germany, but that seems more like historic reasons than this German team being likely to win the tournament, so again Italy were the first good team they faced (maybe harsh on Denmark but they weren't touted as potential winners). I felt that Southgate was tactically found out last night. I felt after the first 20mins or so Italy were much the better side and far more likely winners, as they addressed the early tactical issues and Southgate had no answer for them, I also thought his handling of subs, extra time and penalty takers was poor.
Doing a decent job as England manager. Will be interesting to see how he does for WC qualifying (and, assuming they qualify, the WC in 16 months time).

I should add, there is no way on earth that I would want him as Liverpool manager. Not good enough IMO.
Old 12-07-21, 02:20 PM   #9924
Tribute
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
He's no Klopp, more like a primary school version of Eddie Howe.

No doubt he's got some 'softly, softly' man-management skills from taking charge of the England youth team (now many playing for the full national team) but he lacks tactical nous and will always struggle against a half-decent tactician who is prepared to quickly change things up if its not working. He'd crumble at a decent (Top 6) Premier League club.

He was far too defensive yesterday and let the early goal and first half advantage slip all the way through the second half and extra time. Wrong subs and too late in the day for Rashford and Sancho.

Needed to step it up and put Grealish on earlier with Hendo. Saka/Sancho would have been a third sub later in the game for me...
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-21, 03:20 PM   #9925
red g
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute View Post
He's no Klopp, more like a primary school version of Eddie Howe.

No doubt he's got some 'softly, softly' man-management skills from taking charge of the England youth team (now many playing for the full national team) but he lacks tactical nous and will always struggle against a half-decent tactician who is prepared to quickly change things up if its not working. He'd crumble at a decent (Top 6) Premier League club.

He was far too defensive yesterday and let the early goal and first half advantage slip all the way through the second half and extra time. Wrong subs and too late in the day for Rashford and Sancho.

Needed to step it up and put Grealish on earlier with Hendo. Saka/Sancho would have been a third sub later in the game for me...

I would put him on a par with Ole Gunnar win nothing, Will do Ok but will always fail short

Weak willed, Wank or do they have a masterplan?

Think we have the answer..Klopp
red g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-21, 06:34 PM   #9926
Yozza
Shankly

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57873034

Arsenal to sign Brighton's Ben White in £50m deal

Wasn’t Klopp an admirer? £50m though…

Bob's Miserable Bastards Club Member #2
Yozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-21, 08:17 PM   #9927
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Huge money, makes Konate seem a bargain
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1

Curtis Julian Jones Fanclub #1
Rich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-21, 10:04 PM   #9928
S-RED
Dalglish

yeah, he is good, but 50 mill is nuts
S-RED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-21, 10:16 PM   #9929
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

But they desperately need a solid centre-back or two, so it's a good move, even if they overpay somewhat.
Old 17-07-21, 10:29 PM   #9930
S-RED
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
But they desperately need a solid centre-back or two, so it's a good move, even if they overpay somewhat.
he is not a leader though, so they still need another CB; 50mill + for a VVD yes for a ben white, its excessive & better value o be had
S-RED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:54 PM   #9931
Irishnev
Paisley

Those who know.........know

Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > General Football