It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 28-06-21, 09:38 AM   #6561
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Does he really need the job that badly to put his family through all of this?

As soon as they go on bad run it is going to be unbearable for him. It doesn’t take many to make life pretty uncomfortable for him and this is the reaction before he has even signed.

Don’t do it Rafa.
Old 28-06-21, 09:43 AM   #6562
Tribute
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Does he really need the job that badly to put his family through all of this?

As soon as they go on bad run it is going to be unbearable for him. It doesn’t take many to make life pretty uncomfortable for him and this is the reaction before he has even signed.

Don’t do it Rafa.
...not cheap living on the Wirral though
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-21, 09:58 AM   #6563
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute View Post
...not cheap living on the Wirral though

Covering for a one bed flat in the city as well will be even more expensive when Montse sends him packing for putting her life at risk.
Old 28-06-21, 10:32 AM   #6564
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Why Rafael Benítez decided impossible job at Everton was right for him

Benítez is a workaholic but what is in it for him this time? Paul Joyce looks into the Spaniard’s imminent Merseyside return

Paul Joyce
Sunday June 27 2021, 6.00pm, The Times

The temptation is to think that Rafa Benítez needs another miracle.

With the Spaniard’s appointment as Everton manager imminent, the task confronting him feels particularly onerous: quell unrest among a divided and angry fanbase, earn their respect, if not their affection, bring stability to a club on to its sixth coach in five years, deliver European football and do so with a squad that requires significant tweaks.

That night in Istanbul when Benítez orchestrated Liverpool’s revival from a 3-0 half-time deficit against AC Milan to win the Champions League on penalties suddenly does not feel so complicated in comparison.

Benítez’s ascension to power at Goodison Park firstly reveals how Farhad Moshiri, the owner, and his business associate Alisher Usmanov, are driving the strategy in the hope that the club will finally be propelled into the upper echelons of the Premier League.

The two billionaires are not oblivious to the fans’ reaction but have simply chosen to ignore the outpouring in the belief they are hiring a good coach, with a strong tactical understanding and someone who can improve players.

They are tired of “losing”, according to sources, although the hire ’em, fire ’em policy and haphazard manner in which previous managerial appointments have been conducted means Everton have been their own worst enemy in terms of on-field progress since Moshiri came on board in February 2016.

Carlo Ancelotti admittedly left them in the lurch when quitting on June 1, but the refusal of first choice David Moyes to be swayed from West Ham United, remembering the handful of occasions he had previously been offered the chance to return only for the line to go cold, felt like karma.

At this point, it is pertinent to ask: What is in this for Benítez? He does not need a payday, his contract is heavily incentivised, and does not need the abuse that has already been pinned to the blue railings at Goodison.

Football consumes the 61-year-old. He needs to work, he needs to be on the training ground and, in some respects, that already sounds more promising than some of his predecessors who swept out of Finch Farm and headed home as soon as lunch had been served.

Benítez will be first in, last out and while that does not guarantee that he will succeed, it shows he does not want to fail. He will not want to go to Anfield, or the Etihad, and be embarrassed because regardless of what others think he still views himself in the same elite bracket as Jürgen Klopp and Pep Guardiola.

Everton’s opening fixtures have been deemed as helpful — Southampton (h), Leeds United (a), Brighton & Hove Albion (a), Burnley (h), Aston Villa (a) and Norwich City (h) — but only if they bring positive results. Otherwise, they are precisely the type of games that will further fuel a rise in toxicity because the perception will be they are all eminently winnable.

Another concern for Benítez is that he is taking over a squad who now have a ready made shield for their own inadequacies. It is the man in the dugout who is going to get the bird, not the players unable to live up to their billing.

There are many fans who are opposed to Benítez primarily because of his comment in 2007 when he described Everton as a “small club,” [he later admitted this was a mistake saying he was referencing the defensive approach of David Moyes’ team rather than Everton as a club] and his ties with Liverpool in transforming them into European champions 16 years ago.

That that he spent six years across Stanley Park should, in isolation, not be an issue and betrays a shortsightedness.

If Klopp became available and Everton targeted him, then that would surely cause less consternation. The same goes for Brendan Rodgers.

Others are prepared to look beyond that and ask whether Benítez can drive the club forward amid criticism that his achievements are in the distant past.

Benítez won the Coppa Italia with Napoli in 2013-14, the season after winning the Europa League with Chelsea having spent seven months there in an interim capacity.

His most recent Premier League job was with Newcastle United, who finished five points behind Everton after their return to the top flight in 2017-18, winning one game fewer, scoring five fewer goals but conceding 11 fewer.

The following campaign, 2018-19, Newcastle finished nine points behind Everton, recording three fewer wins, scoring 12 fewer goals and conceding two more. But over the course of those seasons there were wins over Manchester City, Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea and a draw with Liverpool.

Over the same period, Everton tasted victory over United, Arsenal and Chelsea and drew twice with Liverpool.

His is not the record of a busted flush. The job he did with Newcastle was a good one, just as Steve Bruce has done well, and the style of football was probably unappealing on occasions but no worse than some of Everton’s performances under Ancelotti.

Recruitment remains a problem — in recent years Everton spent more on Alex Iwobi than Liverpool did on Sadio Mané — and what role director of football, Marcel Brands, who had little say in Benítez’s hiring, has to play will soon become clear.

Division on the inside is even more unpalatable than rancour on the streets. Otherwise, this really is the impossible job.
Old 28-06-21, 10:36 AM   #6565
wiw
Paisley

Fair play if he's actually going to take the job Rafa doesn't give a fuck does he.

Quote:
He needs to work, he needs to be on the training ground and, in some respects, that already sounds more promising than some of his predecessors who swept out of Finch Farm and headed home as soon as lunch had been served.
Wonder who this was eh
Old 28-06-21, 11:05 AM   #6566
Tribute
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiw View Post
Fair play if he's actually going to take the job Rafa doesn't give a fuck does he.

Wonder who this was eh
...my money's on Fat Sam.
He would deffo have been off to the chippy for lunch instead
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-21, 12:16 PM   #6567
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute View Post
...my money's on Fat Sam.
He would deffo have been off to the chippy for lunch instead
Old 28-06-21, 06:20 PM   #6568
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Not a laughing matter, but the 'we know where you live' banner was left outside the wrong house.
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-21, 06:23 PM   #6569
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReet View Post
Not a laughing matter, but the 'we know where you live' banner was left outside the wrong house.
Old 28-06-21, 08:09 PM   #6570
rudedog
Pig hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReet View Post
That's about as Everton as you can get
rudedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-21, 07:10 AM   #6571
SB
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudedog View Post
That's about as Everton as you can get
Old 29-06-21, 06:26 PM   #6572
Venton
Paisley

Poor Rafa. This is going to be dreadful.
Old 29-06-21, 06:30 PM   #6573
baitman
Daddy day care

Delete

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-21, 09:52 PM   #6574
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Very disappointed in Rafa taking the Everton job
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-21, 10:24 PM   #6575
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace

Isn't going to go down well with Liverpool fans this.

Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-21, 06:17 AM   #6576
frank the tank
Shankly

Best of luck to him.

I don't actually mind Everton. What is funny is that their fans are totally obsessed with lfc but in reality I think we have bigger fish to fry. United are our main rival.

I hope we hammer them home and away next season..... But if they come 2nd to us then I won't really be bothered.

Also, I think it's a good appointment by them..... But their idiot fans will never see that so it will probably end badly.
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-21, 07:55 AM   #6577
Saveloy
Expect the Wurst

"As for the RS connection, the fact that their legends want to work for us should be shameful for them, not for us."

Saveloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-21, 09:01 AM   #6578
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky Skills View Post
Isn't going to go down well with Liverpool fans this.
Going to go down better with Liverpool fans than it is with Everton ones from what I can see!
Old 30-06-21, 09:10 AM   #6579
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Going to go down better with Liverpool fans than it is with Everton ones from what I can see!
Haha they don't seem very happy, stupid twats lol

Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-21, 09:36 AM   #6580
Scratch
If you fail once....

Good luck to him, but I do hope he hits the ground running and gets the fans onside quickly, otherwise it could turn nasty (or nastier).

Can't say I'll be cheering Everton on, but I don't hold a grudge against Rafa for taking a job close to home, family first and all.
Old 30-06-21, 09:55 AM   #6581
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
Good luck to him, but I do hope he hits the ground running and gets the fans onside quickly, otherwise it could turn nasty (or nastier).

Can't say I'll be cheering Everton on, but I don't hold a grudge against Rafa for taking a job close to home, family first and all.
Won't happen ....look how the Chelsea fans abused him and he won a trophy...as for taking a job close to home did that principal not apply when he took the Chelsea job or Napoli job even the job in china...
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-21, 10:27 AM   #6582
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post

I hope it goes horribly from day one and they have a woeful season, as I do every season.
Old 30-06-21, 11:10 AM   #6583
Angryred
Dalglish

Imagine he got them relegated?..he will have to bring his family back home to Spain!
Old 30-06-21, 11:19 AM   #6584
Alex
Administrator

His home is Liverpool though. Hes always called the City his home since he managed us.
Old 30-06-21, 11:20 AM   #6585
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angryred View Post
Imagine he got them relegated?..he will have to bring his family back home to Spain!

Old 30-06-21, 11:21 AM   #6586
ChesterDave
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angryred View Post
Nah, he'd just have to avoid the caravan parks in Abergele
ChesterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-21, 12:13 PM   #6587
Charly
Dalglish

Perhaps he can scythe theough Pickford in training?
Old 30-06-21, 01:10 PM   #6588
baitman
Daddy day care

It'll be rafa or dunc leaving...

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-21, 01:34 PM   #6589
Rigadon
Shankly

I hope he takes Everton to the dizzy heights of 6th in the Prem and they win the League Cup. He'll be their most successful manager in the last 25 years and will very much be part of their history.
Old 30-06-21, 01:50 PM   #6590
Pepe79
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Won't happen ....look how the Chelsea fans abused him and he won a trophy...as for taking a job close to home did that principal not apply when he took the Chelsea job or Napoli job even the job in china...
I think he’d ideally have always stayed close to home, but how many offers on there right on his doorstep? After all that working around the world, you can totally understand why a top flight job that also allows him to stay with his family must appeal.

As for trophies, the Chelsea fans are used to a succession of different managers turning up and winning something. Complete contrast to the Everton fans who have have been starved of success for 26 years, they’ll adore him if wins them something imo.
Pepe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-21, 03:36 PM   #6591
Pepe79
Shankly

So weird…but after all he did for Liverpool and all the hardship he put up with under shit owners at multiple clubs, I just can’t begrudge him a job that clearly suits him.

Old 30-06-21, 03:48 PM   #6592
shanks69
Dalglish

I have no problem him going there it's not as if he left us to go there,he's had 5 clubs since he left.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Old 30-06-21, 03:54 PM   #6593
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Love the man, hate the club. Hope he does mediocre for them.
Old 30-06-21, 04:28 PM   #6594
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Don’t begrudge him the job at all, it makes sense for him, but I still hope they lose every game.
Old 30-06-21, 04:43 PM   #6595
Pepe79
Shankly

Old 30-06-21, 04:44 PM   #6596
Pepe79
Shankly

I reckon he wins them a cup
Old 30-06-21, 05:41 PM   #6597
labourRed
Shankly

He has balls of steel that fella.

Imagine he was cup level successful, won them over and then left them to rejoin us post Klopp.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-21, 05:44 PM   #6598
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
I hope it goes horribly from day one and they have a woeful season, as I do every season.
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-21, 05:44 PM   #6599
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
His home is Liverpool though. Hes always called the City his home since he managed us.
Should've taken the Southport job first
Old 30-06-21, 05:46 PM   #6600
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by labourRed View Post
He has balls of steel that fella.

Imagine he was cup level successful, won them over and then left them to rejoin us post Klopp.
No ta

est1892 > Football > General Football