It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-06-21, 03:00 PM   #521
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?
 
Shaggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 131,662
__________________
That were absolute diabolical
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-21, 03:18 PM   #522
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite
 
Pablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,158
Sounds to me like he's had the chat and been told he's back to 5th choice CB at best.

At the age he's at I can't blame him for moving in that scenario. Hopefully the funds raised from selling him, Williams and the likes of Wilson, Grujic etc will mean we can afford at least one more decent signing.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-21, 03:18 PM   #523
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion
 
RedReet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 21,779
And the award for most predictable story of the summer goes to...
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-21, 03:19 PM   #524
vlahka
Still sulking...
 
vlahka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,485
I'll be mighty pissed if we sell him instead of actually using him more often.
vlahka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-21, 03:22 PM   #525
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?
 
Shaggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 131,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Sounds to me like he's had the chat and been told he's back to 5th choice CB at best.

At the age he's at I can't blame him for moving in that scenario. Hopefully the funds raised from selling him, Williams and the likes of Wilson, Grujic etc will mean we can afford at least one more decent signing.
All a bit Football Manager but maybe selling Phillips (10m?), Neco (6m?), Grujic (15m?), Wilson (10m?) would pay for someone like that that Donyell Malen or summat
__________________
That were absolute diabolical
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-21, 03:25 PM   #526
frank the tank
Shankly
 
frank the tank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9,262
people will be annoyed when he does really well for his new club. The thing is, the way Jurgen wants us to play, he probably isn't best suited to. I think he would be really effective coming off the bench to help see off teams at the closing stages of games - teams that like to throw it into big strikers in the box. But that is only going to be applicable to about 8 to 12 teams in the league, in games where we are protecting a one goal lead.

Having said all of that, i think it is a big risk starting the season with Virgil, Joe, Matip and Konate as our 4 center backs - with 3 of them coming back from long term injuries (and 2 of those 3 being made of wafer)
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-21, 03:29 PM   #527
baitman
Daddy day care
 
baitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 22,720
Klopp out

This will prove to be a mistake.
__________________
removing all the weak links makes us stronger

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-21, 03:29 PM   #528
Pepe79
Shankly
 
Pepe79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,748
Not sure how likely that Burnley link for Nat Phillips is

__________________
.
.
.
.
Pepe79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-21, 03:30 PM   #529
Fivex
The Wisp
 
Fivex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 21,186
I think his price tag is north of 20m though.
__________________
Hello mert.
Fivex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-21, 03:35 PM   #530
Tribute
Shankly
 
Tribute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,901
Suggestions Kabak value decreased significantly due to lack of playing time in the Euros and Schalke will need to sell at a cut price, so if Nat goes for a decent wedge, Kabak could come in at a much lower price than originally touted...

Could be a smart move all round?
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-21, 03:50 PM   #531
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain
 
BobTheCharmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute View Post
Suggestions Kabak value decreased significantly due to lack of playing time in the Euros and Schalke will need to sell at a cut price, so if Nat goes for a decent wedge, Kabak could come in at a much lower price than originally touted...

Could be a smart move all round?
But kabak is a shit version of Nat but slightly quicker.
__________________
Always borrow money from a pessimist. He wont expect it back. Oscar Wilde
BobTheCharmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-21, 03:50 PM   #532
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves
 
danperkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 38,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute View Post
Suggestions Kabak value decreased significantly due to lack of playing time in the Euros and Schalke will need to sell at a cut price, so if Nat goes for a decent wedge, Kabak could come in at a much lower price than originally touted...

Could be a smart move all round?

Hard to know as Philips looked better than Kabak imo. Can't really judge Kabak too much as haven't seen all that much of him.
__________________
When in doubt, mumble.
danperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-21, 04:11 PM   #533
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley
 
Jaco_Pastorious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 17,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by danperkins View Post
Hard to know as Philips looked better than Kabak imo. Can't really judge Kabak too much as haven't seen all that much of him.

Yeah and with Kabak being three years younger than Philips it is hard to know how good or not Kabak will be with the three years experience he will have by the time he gets to the age Philips is now.

On paper you would think that Kabak is the safer bet as his value will probably not drop lower than it is now and in a few years he could be quite a useful player, still younger than Philips is now and probably easy to make our money back on.

Whereas Philips has never been worth more than he is now and if he goes back to being fifth or sixth choice again for the coming season then his value will drop and he becomes a player heading towards turning 25 next spring but with not too many games to his name for his age.



Said this some time back about him and is still what I think of Philips.

Quote:
Think it is win win whether he stays or goes.

He stays and we have a 5th choice CB that whilst being a big drop off in quality from three, if not all four, of those ahead of him, can still come in and do a job if we are stuck.

He goes and we get a much bigger fee for him than we would have last summer. Any fee from 15m to 25m would not surprise me for him.
__________________
I don't hate people. I just feel better when they aren't around.
Jaco_Pastorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-21, 04:18 PM   #534
Pepe79
Shankly
 
Pepe79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious View Post
Yeah and with Kabak being three years younger than Philips it is hard to know how good or not Kabak will be with the three years experience he will have by the time he gets to the age Philips is now.

On paper you would think that Kabak is the safer bet as his value will probably not drop lower than it is now and in a few years he could be quite a useful player, still younger than Philips is now and probably easy to make our money back on.

Whereas Philips has never been worth more than he is now and if he goes back to being fifth or sixth choice again for the coming season then his value will drop and he becomes a player heading towards turning 25 next spring but with not too many games to his name for his age.



Said this some time back about him and is still what I think of Philips.
Well youd expect him to improve and still remain 3 years younger that Nat is . Hes already better and much more experienced at top flight and International level.
__________________
.
.
.
.
Pepe79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-21, 04:37 PM   #535
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley
 
Jaco_Pastorious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 17,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post
Well youd expect him to improve and still remain 3 years younger that Nat is . Hes already better and much more experienced at top flight and International level.


Worded it poorly, but basically meant that he will have three years more experience to his name before he reaches the age Philips is now and as such Kabak at 24 may well be a far more developed and first team ready player than Philips currently is at 24.

And yes I do agree with your opinion that Kabak is already a better and more experienced footballer.
__________________
I don't hate people. I just feel better when they aren't around.
Jaco_Pastorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-21, 04:52 PM   #536
Pepe79
Shankly
 
Pepe79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,748
Ah yeah, see it now
__________________
.
.
.
.
Pepe79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-21, 08:24 PM   #537
kev776
Paisley
 
kev776's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,443
It's a pointless discussion as both will leave. Both are way to slow to play Klopp's preferred high line football. Skills and positioning can be taught, natural speed can't and neither posses it.

VVD; Gomez, Matip and Konate are all kin quick.
kev776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-21, 09:57 PM   #538
Charly
Dalglish
 
Charly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,548
Big mistake to sell before we have confirmed Gomez, Matip and VVD are fit fore the start of the season.

Konate has not been injury free either. And as much as I love the guy, Matip has zero reliability.

Bump his wages and put in a release clause that triggers in the new year. If he gets no games he can move on, and if we still struggle with injuries he can stay on.

And he looked twice the player Kabak did. Kabak reminded me of a shite Lovren. I had no confidence when a ball came in that he was going to deal with it. The only times he looked okay were when he was next to Phillips. In fact I dont think that Rhys Williams looked any worse than Kabak.
__________________
In the beginning, Fowler created the Heaven and the Earth.
Charly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-21, 11:46 PM   #539
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?
 
Shaggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 131,662


__________________
That were absolute diabolical
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-21, 11:57 PM   #540
Zapater
Dalglish
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,389
I think it says a lot about the player that Burnley and Dyche are his chief admirers. I think 15m would represent good value.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-21, 12:02 AM   #541
SB
Paisley
 
SB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,121
Which is the same amount to buy Kabak is it not?
__________________
No 1 Klopp supporter
SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-21, 12:03 AM   #542
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 46,273
Imagine someone had said we’d get 15m for Nat Phillips last summer!!!
__________________
Create a memory
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-21, 07:27 AM   #543
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves
 
danperkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 38,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious View Post
Yeah and with Kabak being three years younger than Philips it is hard to know how good or not Kabak will be with the three years experience he will have by the time he gets to the age Philips is now.

On paper you would think that Kabak is the safer bet as his value will probably not drop lower than it is now and in a few years he could be quite a useful player, still younger than Philips is now and probably easy to make our money back on.

Whereas Philips has never been worth more than he is now and if he goes back to being fifth or sixth choice again for the coming season then his value will drop and he becomes a player heading towards turning 25 next spring but with not too many games to his name for his age.



Said this some time back about him and is still what I think of Philips.
__________________
When in doubt, mumble.
danperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-21, 10:06 AM   #544
The_weatherman
Smug
 
The_weatherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 12,805
He'll do very well at Burnley if it happens, good deal all round really, will always be fond of Nat.
__________________
* The above is posted in my opinion. Feel free to disagree.
The_weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-21, 01:07 PM   #545
vlahka
Still sulking...
 
vlahka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,485
Wont be that good a deal when he goes off next season to play the entire season and get super points on fantasy football, and Gomez breaks down a couple times as is the usual.
vlahka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-21, 02:53 PM   #546
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse
 
Norbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 34,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlahka View Post
I'll be mighty pissed if we sell him instead of actually using him more often.
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-21, 02:54 PM   #547
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse
 
Norbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 34,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post
But kabak is a shit version of Nat but slightly quicker.
Kabak was a shit version of all our centre backs
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-21, 03:29 PM   #548
Paul12
Benitez
 
Paul12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charly View Post
Big mistake to sell before we have confirmed Gomez, Matip and VVD are fit fore the start of the season.

Konate has not been injury free either. And as much as I love the guy, Matip has zero reliability.

Bump his wages and put in a release clause that triggers in the new year. If he gets no games he can move on, and if we still struggle with injuries he can stay on.
Paul12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-21, 06:05 PM   #549
baitman
Daddy day care
 
baitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 22,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Imagine someone had said we’d get 15m for Nat Phillips last summer!!!
Yeh, we'd have snatched their arm off.

But imagine if someone told you that vvd, gomez, matip, henderson and fabinho would all get crocked at CB and then in comes Matt Phillips to save our season.

15m is chickenfeed when you think what price we can put on a solid reliable CB.
We should be keeping him and offer him a realistic wage, and he will be ready to pull us out of the shit when any of our first 3/4 choices get broken, as they surely will...
__________________
removing all the weak links makes us stronger

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-21, 07:39 PM   #550
Charly
Dalglish
 
Charly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,548
Absofuckinlutely.

I dont really give a shit if he slows play or makes us defend too deep. He can reliably head the ball out defence better than most centrebacks can. to me that is like gold dust. Only Hyppia and VVD have been really dominant in the air over the past couple of decades, and while Phillips is not in that class, I think he is better in the air than Matip and Gomez. I know that may not be a popular view, but I would not let him leave, regardless.
__________________
In the beginning, Fowler created the Heaven and the Earth.
Charly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-21, 09:18 PM   #551
vlahka
Still sulking...
 
vlahka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,485
He's stellar in the air, and thats a super rare thing. I never felt worried during corners when he was in the box. Can't say the same for Gomez thats for sure.
vlahka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-21, 09:18 PM   #552
baitman
Daddy day care
 
baitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 22,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charly View Post
Absofuckinlutely.

I dont really give a shit if he slows play or makes us defend too deep. He can reliably head the ball out defence better than most centrebacks can. to me that is like gold dust. Only Hyppia and VVD have been really dominant in the air over the past couple of decades, and while Phillips is not in that class, I think he is better in the air than Matip and Gomez. I know that may not be a popular view, but I would not let him leave, regardless.
__________________
removing all the weak links makes us stronger

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-21, 10:17 PM   #553
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse
 
Norbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 34,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by baitman View Post
Yeh, we'd have snatched their arm off.

But imagine if someone told you that vvd, gomez, matip, henderson and fabinho would all get crocked at CB and then in comes Matt Phillips to save our season.

15m is chickenfeed when you think what price we can put on a solid reliable CB.
We should be keeping him and offer him a realistic wage, and he will be ready to pull us out of the shit when any of our first 3/4 choices get broken, as they surely will...
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-21, 10:18 PM   #554
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse
 
Norbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 34,053
Teams are more likely to need set pieces to score against us which makes a good headerererer of the ball even more important
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-21, 10:29 PM   #555
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously
 
Fredo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 34,044
Nat Phillips

Cant see him staying if hes not going to play a lot of football. This is the crux of it, the club will go along with what is best for him.
__________________
Are we winning?
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-21, 10:50 PM   #556
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley
 
Jaco_Pastorious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 17,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charly View Post
Absofuckinlutely.

I dont really give a shit if he slows play or makes us defend too deep. He can reliably head the ball out defence better than most centrebacks can. to me that is like gold dust. Only Hyppia and VVD have been really dominant in the air over the past couple of decades, and while Phillips is not in that class, I think he is better in the air than Matip and Gomez. I know that may not be a popular view, but I would not let him leave, regardless.

He's a bum
__________________
I don't hate people. I just feel better when they aren't around.
Jaco_Pastorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-21, 02:30 AM   #557
Charly
Dalglish
 
Charly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,548
lol

You know nothing...
__________________
In the beginning, Fowler created the Heaven and the Earth.
Charly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-21, 09:39 AM   #558
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley
 
Jaco_Pastorious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 17,229
....Jaco Snow?
__________________
I don't hate people. I just feel better when they aren't around.
Jaco_Pastorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-21, 08:45 PM   #559
Exiled_red
Paisley
 
Exiled_red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 45,088
I said for a while he'd be a great option to come on to help defend a 1 goal lead against teams that are launching the ball into the box. Whatever you consider the pecking order of our CBs he'd be my first pick for that role, even if he's technically 5th choice starter. Ultimately I think it comes down to what he wants to do and I suspect he'd want first team football.
__________________
The only gracious way to accept an insult is to ignore it; if you can't ignore it, top it; if you can't top it, laugh at it; if you can't laugh at it, it's probably deserved.
Exiled_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-21, 08:59 PM   #560
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 46,273
Yeah that whole, “you’ll be starting the season as 5th choice” is probably a tough sell. He’s 24 years old. It’s the best time for him to show ambition and get a decent move. Good luck to him he had a memorable run of games for us. I suspect Klopp worked wonders with him.
__________________
Create a memory
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:26 PM.


Our Current Balance versus Target. Please help us: (Donate)

Kindly Hosted By DigitalWales
Any posts remain the responsibility of the poster. Neither est1892, its Owners nor any company affiliated will be held responsible from any disputes arising from these posts. The views raised are not necessarily those held by the website or its owners.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.