It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 25-04-21, 12:09 PM   #361
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

First player since Rushie to get 3 seasons with 20 league goals. If he’d scored one more last year he’d be 4 in a row.

He has had a great season. All forwards miss chances, and his conversion % is up with the best of them.

Bobby and Sadio have had poor seasons. We don’t get goals from midfield (I’d love to see Ox Given a run of games). Our other goal threats are Van Dijk and Trent occasionally and Robbo even less occasionally.

Salah is the only player doing his job in front of goal.
Old 25-04-21, 12:14 PM   #362
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
First player since Rushie to get 3 seasons with 20 league goals. If hed scored one more last year hed be 4 in a row.

He has had a great season. All forwards miss chances, and his conversion % is up with the best of them.

Bobby and Sadio have had poor seasons. We dont get goals from midfield (Id love to see Ox Given a run of games). Our other goal threats are Van Dijk and Trent occasionally and Robbo even less occasionally.

impossible to criticise him.
Old 25-04-21, 12:40 PM   #363
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by danperkins View Post
impossible to criticise him.
It's absolutely not impossible. When we've struggled at home he has been as culpable as the other two for our results. He misses chances galore. Important chances. We're always told Bobby isn't in the team to score goals which means both Salah and Mane have the responsibility to score most of the teams goals. Take the penalties out and he's done as good as I would expect. Nothing more. Even if I'm being harsh and you say OK he is a goal machine, his all round play has been really poor. Forget assists. I'm talking about being part of a cohesive attacking unit. Far too often it bounces off him, he runs into players and we give away cheap ball that them leaves trent exposed to the ball over the top. The whole team has been below par, and to try and put some players on a pedestal as being beyond criticism is a joke. We win as a team and lose as a team. Every player has played below their standard this year barring Phillips and Jones.

We need salah to stay and we need to be better.
Old 25-04-21, 12:50 PM   #364
Big-Red-Ed
Fagan

Quote:
First player since Rushie to get 3 seasons with 20 league goals. If hed scored one more last year hed be 4 in a row.

Bobby and Sadio have had poor seasons. We dont get goals from midfield (Id love to see Ox Given a run of games). Our other goal threats are Van Dijk and Trent occasionally and Robbo even less occasionally.

And let's face it he operates as a wing forward. All forwards miss chances but he keeps going. The other 2 are the problem and a complete lack of goals from midfield. Or a genuine threat of a header from a set piece like Virgil gives us.

YNWA
Big-Red-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-21, 01:07 PM   #365
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post
It's absolutely not impossible. When we've struggled at home he has been as culpable as the other two for our results. He misses chances galore. Important chances. We're always told Bobby isn't in the team to score goals which means both Salah and Mane have the responsibility to score most of the teams goals. Take the penalties out and he's done as good as I would expect. Nothing more. Even if I'm being harsh and you say OK he is a goal machine, his all round play has been really poor. Forget assists. I'm talking about being part of a cohesive attacking unit. Far too often it bounces off him, he runs into players and we give away cheap ball that them leaves trent exposed to the ball over the top. The whole team has been below par, and to try and put some players on a pedestal as being beyond criticism is a joke. We win as a team and lose as a team. Every player has played below their standard this year barring Phillips and Jones.

You cant be part of a cohesive attacking unit if two parts lack cohesion. Even his all round play is better than the other two, he laid a chance on a plate for Mane yesterday and his movement and attitude were causing havoc.

Mane wasnt as bad as recent but still wasnt great and Bobby just doesnt influence enough.

In a misfiring team Id say what Salah has produced is remarkable. Can he get better, yes. But not with two other forwards (Jota had a shocker yesterday also) not contributing at all.
Old 25-04-21, 02:29 PM   #366
Harv
Randy Marsh

Quote:

Err, why?? He's absolutely done at the top level. Injuries have completely ruined him now

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-21, 02:51 PM   #367
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Where the hell is the young u-21 international attacker waiting to break through? The hot prospect that every major club seemingly has waiting in the wings. It’s fucking ridiculous that Mane can be this shit for this long and still be picked. Even when Jota comes in he still plays. Klopp is pretty rigid in his 4-3-3, unless it’s an attempt not to drop an massively underperforming player it seems.

Harvey Elliot is a Blackburn playing better than Mane in our fist team week in, week out. I’m not saying he’s the answer, but there should be someone ready to step up. We have a bunch of near 30 year olds and then nothing. Wtf happened?
Old 25-04-21, 04:02 PM   #368
BG1973
Fagan

How many have ever been good enough though? Not a reliable source for the first team. Look at Brewster.

Agree there is now a void though, I think we would have sold one of Salah or mane last year and started the rebuild with those funds.. were it not for covid.
BG1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-21, 04:38 PM   #369
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Err, why?? He's absolutely done at the top level. Injuries have completely ruined him now
Based on?

He’s had limited minutes this season. Scored 8 goals last.

He’s barely played since his injury.
Old 25-04-21, 05:39 PM   #370
Pepe79
Shankly

Quote:
Based on?

Hes had limited minutes this season. Scored 8 goals last.

Hes barely played since his injury.
Last season he had 25 starts in all comps. Only completed 90 mins once (in the CWC). Usually subbed off around the 60 minute mark.

Now hes had another knee injury to contend with and its just 2 starts all season, again subbed off before an hour on both occasions. We now seem reluctant to even give him consecutive substitute appearances.

I know its not 100% conclusive, but its pretty revealing and it definitely doesnt look like we think hes capable of a run of games.

Its a massive shame.
Pepe79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-21, 07:00 PM   #371
danperkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post

Every striker misses chances, part and parcel of the game. Salah's numbers since joining LFC speak for themselves and without him I dread to think where we would be in the league this season. I have no issue with him missing chances, once he is getting into dangerous positions and still putting up good numbers every single season.
Old 26-04-21, 09:21 AM   #372
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
Really just fed up with football this season,.

Given the injuries we've had in defence I could have accepted if we are in the position we are in because we were scoring goals but letting in shit loads. The fact is that the attacking players have let down our 6th choice defence or whatever the fuck we are on at the moment. Since the start of the year we have played 17 PL games we have only conceded more that 1 goal in 3 of those games, we didn't score more than 1 goal in 12 games we fail to score at all in 7 of those. Clearly tells you where the problem is.
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-21, 03:34 PM   #373
Scratch
If you fail once....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post
Last season he had 25 starts in all comps. Only completed 90 mins once (in the CWC). Usually subbed off around the 60 minute mark.

Now hes had another knee injury to contend with and its just 2 starts all season, again subbed off before an hour on both occasions. We now seem reluctant to even give him consecutive substitute appearances.

I know its not 100% conclusive, but its pretty revealing and it definitely doesnt look like we think hes capable of a run of games.

Its a massive shame.
I think nothing should be read into this season and his appearances. We are working on a shortened season, with too many games coming too thick and fast to allow the necessary training to regain fitness. If we weren't beset by injuries, I don't think we would even see him near the bench, but at the moment we will try to get what we can from him.

The past couple of games have provided some optimism..yes, we drew them as we ran out of steam in the final quarter of both matches, but both matches should have been dead and buried by half-time, allowing us to cruise the second half. However, because our strike force is making poor decisions currently (again a sign of tired legs/minds), we are not putting these games to bed.

Provided we have a proper (as much as it can be in these times) pre-season I think next year, with some new faces and hopefully players returning from injury as near as damnit to their previous levels, we will be back as a serious contender.
Old 26-04-21, 04:57 PM   #374
Pepe79
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
I think nothing should be read into this season and his appearances. We are working on a shortened season, with too many games coming too thick and fast to allow the necessary training to regain fitness. If we weren't beset by injuries, I don't think we would even see him near the bench, but at the moment we will try to get what we can from him.

The past couple of games have provided some optimism..yes, we drew them as we ran out of steam in the final quarter of both matches, but both matches should have been dead and buried by half-time, allowing us to cruise the second half. However, because our strike force is making poor decisions currently (again a sign of tired legs/minds), we are not putting these games to bed.

Provided we have a proper (as much as it can be in these times) pre-season I think next year, with some new faces and hopefully players returning from injury as near as damnit to their previous levels, we will be back as a serious contender.
Hes played fewer than 300 mins all season, theres no reason why the schedule should be affecting him. Though if were saying hes just not recovered or rebuilt his strength enough, then were still not going to be seeing him have a run of games anytime soon either way.
Old 27-04-21, 09:21 AM   #375
frank the tank
Shankly

he's done 2 thirds of fuck all in those minutes either. Fuck all.

But he is quick to put videos on TikTok or whatever. Tell us all about how this is the year of the Ox on Chinese new year. The bellend.

He should have fuckin buried that chance against Leeds to win the game. That would have been a contribution. I hope we sell him in the summer - and take Keita with him.
Old 27-04-21, 02:03 PM   #376
Tribute
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post

But he is quick to put videos on TikTok or whatever. Tell us all about how this is the year of the Ox on Chinese new year. The bellend.

He should have fuckin buried that chance against Leeds to win the game. That would have been a contribution. I hope we sell him in the summer - and take Keita with him.
...you not a fan, Frank?
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-21, 02:14 PM   #377
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post

TBH the guy has never come across as a bellend. Seems to be a pretty decent sort going by whenever I have seen him speak on tv or online.

I don't blame him for his injuries or lack of form either tbh.

Only ones to get any blame, or maybe who should shoulder responsibility rather than blame, are those that keep him at the club after a prolonged period that lasts seasons of ifs, buts and maybes over whether or not we can get a full season out of him.

He is here four sesons now, turns 28 in a few months and seems to be no closer to becoming reliable cover let alone competing to be a regular starter.

Then again I could say similar about Matip who turns 30 in a few months, is here five seasons, and who seems to be becoming less reliable each season than the one before.

Or Keita. A few years younger than Chamberlain or Matip and here three seasons, but each season seeing him play less than the season before.

And it is a shame as all three, the latter two in particular, have a ton of ability when fit, problem is that them all being fit/available when they are needed is something that seems to be becoming rarer and rarer as time goes by.

Do the dead love the flesh of man because it is like the tomato? We'll never know. But I have my suspicions.
Jaco_Pastorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-21, 04:36 PM   #378
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

He always seems cheerful, the prick.
Old 27-04-21, 04:37 PM   #379
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
He always seems cheerful, the prick.
He seems like a great lad.

And many, many parts of his life are going incredibly well.
Old 27-04-21, 06:43 PM   #380
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute View Post
...you not a fan, Frank?
Sitting on the fence
Old 27-04-21, 06:43 PM   #381
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:
He seems like a great lad.

And many, many parts of his life are going incredibly well.
Apart from the one that matters to us
Old 27-04-21, 07:35 PM   #382
danperkins

Ox seems like a nice guy but he's not good enough to be a starter at LFC & isn't even a reliable squad player, same goes for Naby. Matip on the other hand has first team quality & when he has been fit he has been superb for us but his body is just ruined.

Last edited by danperkins; 27-04-21 at 07:37 PM.
danperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-21, 10:16 PM   #383
baitman
Daddy day care

Ox was finished before we signed him and many said the same at the time.

Yeh, but what if he recovers his best ever form and can consistently play at that level...

No, was never going to happen.

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-21, 10:32 PM   #384
Pepe79
Shankly

He was in the form of his life until that injury against Roma.
Old 27-04-21, 10:45 PM   #385
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post
He was in the form of his life until that injury against Roma.
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-21, 11:21 PM   #386
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

He was, and it was patchy.
Old 27-04-21, 11:51 PM   #387
Pepe79
Shankly

His consistency was building though. Helped by letting him stick to the CM/AM position instead of switching him around the wide positions as well, like in his first 3 or 4 months.
Old 28-04-21, 01:33 AM   #388
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Why are people getting angry about a player?
Old 28-04-21, 04:49 AM   #389
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
Surely you know it's what we do best
Old 28-04-21, 07:01 AM   #390
Pepe79
Shankly

Who's getting angry?
Old 28-04-21, 08:10 AM   #391
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
Are you new to the internet?
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC