It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 28-05-20, 08:58 PM   #1081
dom9
Ant Pisser

Old 28-05-20, 09:11 PM   #1082
marcus50bucks
Niko Bellic

Quote:
Liverpool not expecting to play ANY home matches at neutral venues once season restarts

DAVID LYNCH
in Liverpool 34 minutes ago

Liverpool do not expect to play any of their remaining Premier League home fixtures at neutral venues, Standard Sport understands.

On Thursday, it was revealed that the English top-flight's coronavirus-enforced shutdown will finally come to an end behind closed doors next month, with a provisional restart date of June 17 confirmed.

However, subsequent reports following that announcement suggested that the league leaders might be forced to contest some of their remaining games at neutral venues.

Having built up a 25-point lead over Manchester City, Liverpool were just two wins away from clinching a first league title in 30 years prior to the Covid-19 lockdown.

As such, games in which they might end that wait were said to have been deemed ‘high risk’, resulting from fears over fans potentially congregating outside to celebrate.

But Standard Sport understands that Liverpool have not engaged in any talks over contesting these games at neutral venues.

The Reds accept that extra discussion may be required around several Premier League matches following the restart, including derbies and other high-profile encounters.

However, they remain confident that Merseyside police chiefs and the Safety Advisory Group typically convened ahead of fixtures will be able to provide solutions.

Insiders are also baffled by suggestions that neutral venues would alleviate the concerns raised, given Liverpool's nationwide support.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...-a4453756.html
marcus50bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-20, 09:37 PM   #1083
Fivex
The Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post
Probably one for the joke thread. Well it tickled me at least.

https://twitter.com/MarshInsight/sta...57960616275968

Obviously a Duncan Jenkins wannabe
Old 29-05-20, 05:34 AM   #1084
Mr Pink
Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus50bucks View Post
You can't have one rule for one and another rule for everyone else. It should be a level playing field. I hope we challenge this.

The only team ever to win the league, while having to play several fewer games at home, than everyone else
Old 29-05-20, 05:39 AM   #1085
Mr Pink
Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom9 View Post
Yeah there's a thousand more things to get angry about atm than which empty stadium we play a football game in.
Exactly!!

I do think itís nonsense to make us play in neutral venues, but no one else- if theyíre concerned about any team, they should just have all teams in neutral venues, even if just for the sake of avoiding controversy...

But..... who gives a fuck!! FOOTBALL IS BACK!! such a good day, nothingís gonna ruin this.. letís bring home number 19!!
Old 29-05-20, 11:38 AM   #1086
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

It's fucking sick this, led by a South Yorkshire copper no less.

Simon Peach
@SimonPeach

The games to be played at neutral venues will be Manchester City v Liverpool, Manchester City v Newcastle, Manchester United v Sheffield United, Newcastle v Liverpool, Everton v Liverpool and the game in which Liverpool could secure the Premier League title
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-20, 03:49 PM   #1087
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

Simon Peach
@SimonPeach

The games to be played at neutral venues will be Manchester City v Liverpool, Manchester City v Newcastle, Manchester United v Sheffield United, Newcastle v Liverpool, Everton v Liverpool and the game in which Liverpool could secure the Premier League title
Why those games

I can see the argument for the game in which we win the league, I can see the argument for the derby (particularly if City play before us and we can win the league in that one). Not sure I really get the reasons for any of the others, am I missing something?
Old 29-05-20, 04:05 PM   #1088
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

Fuck knows, it's proper weird. Feels like they just added a few token games to say look it's not just Liverpool. Plenty of other clubs fans may have something to celebrate later this season yet none of their games are mentioned.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-20, 04:37 PM   #1089
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Fuck knows, it's proper weird. Feels like they just added a few token games to say look it's not just Liverpool. Plenty of other clubs fans may have something to celebrate later this season yet none of their games are mentioned.
I was wondering if the Man Utd - Sheff Utd was because it's a potential battle between CL sides, but it's one of the earlier games on the fixture list so that doesn't add up.

Our game at Man City again could be a title winning game, are they worried Manchester is too close to Liverpool or are they worried City fans might do something not at all obvious.

I could understand the last game of the season for us (Newcastle) being played at a Neutral ground if it were a home game for us with the trophy being presented, but it's away in Newcastle almost as far away as we could play.

As for Man City Newcastle I can't think of any reason.

None of it makes any sense. If they are worried about fans celebrating that the sides who could stay up on would also be an issue (obviously they have raised the issue of neutral grounds being unfair already). They at least need to explain the reasoning.
Old 29-05-20, 05:26 PM   #1090
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:

Simon Peach
@SimonPeach

I donít agree with the neutral venues concept - in Germany they threatened to cancel games at v short notice if fans congregated outside the ground so the same approach should work in the PL?

Leaving that and emotion to the side surely the above fixtures are to our benefit? Potentially no home game impacted, not having to play at Goodison, The Eithiad or away to the Geordies surely is a good thing as a neutral venue impacts them also?
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-20, 05:41 PM   #1091
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
I donít agree with the neutral venues concept - in Germany they threatened to cancel games at v short notice if fans congregated outside the ground so the same approach should work in the PL?

Leaving that and emotion to the side surely the above fixtures are to our benefit? Potentially no home game impacted, not having to play at Goodison, The Eithiad or away to the Geordies surely is a good thing as a neutral venue impacts them also?
As you say it probably does benefit us, I just see no reason for doing it, I would prefer the games to be played out as normally as possible, obviously crowds aren't present but I would prefer them to be played at the correct venues.
Old 29-05-20, 05:44 PM   #1092
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post

I think the neutral venues aspect is daft but in the scheme of things, I couldn't give a flying one. We're going to win the league
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-20, 07:40 PM   #1093
Mr Pink
Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
I was wondering if the Man Utd - Sheff Utd was because it's a potential battle between CL sides, but it's one of the earlier games on the fixture list so that doesn't add up.
I guess itís just to publicly highlight and draw attention to the comical fact that Man U are now competing with Sheffield United!
Old 29-05-20, 07:42 PM   #1094
rodo
Shankly

so we cant be trusted to go the ground but its sound if we go the fucking beach
Old 30-05-20, 03:27 AM   #1095
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Shef Utd could win a Euro place, that's cause enough for street celebrations, maybe that's their thinking?
Old 30-05-20, 08:05 AM   #1096
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
Shef Utd could win a Euro place, that's cause enough for street celebrations, maybe that's their thinking?
Based on the original fixture order (which I assume we are sticking to) Man Utd should be their 2nd game back nothing would be sorted by then, so it makes no sense.
Old 30-05-20, 07:57 PM   #1097
Pepe79
Dalglish

Zero positives from the latest round of testing

Pepe79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-20, 09:32 PM   #1098
BigChief
Paisley

Null positive results? Void the testing!!
Old 30-05-20, 10:39 PM   #1099
Chazza
Des Lynam

Question...

Does anyone think this season is anything but a tainted league win after what has happened?
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-20, 10:43 PM   #1100
ChesterDave
Paisley

I don't think it is tainted in the slightest. It was over and done with before football stopped.
Old 30-05-20, 10:45 PM   #1101
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazza View Post
Question...

Does anyone think this season is anything but a tainted league win after what has happened?
Not sure about that. The season is certainly less worthy since March but up until then we rocked it. We've not done anything wrong so deserve our title
Old 30-05-20, 10:56 PM   #1102
Pepe79
Dalglish

Quote:
Question...

If it gets finished (or at least mathematically confirmed), then yes, itís anything but.

If it gets curtailed and goes to ppg, then it will feel a little incomplete imo.
Though I wouldnít go as far as Ďtaintedí because of the massive points difference.
Pepe79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-20, 02:21 AM   #1103
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Quote:
Question...

Tainted how?
Old 31-05-20, 05:13 AM   #1104
McDermotX
Paisley

Only, and TBH, fairly significantly, in the sense that it wont be able to be celebrated properly, so I'm not sure that 'tainted' is exactly the right word, but certainly 'different'.
I dont think that feeling will change when it is confirmed - the lack of proper interaction with the fans during the winning match, the game directly afterwards, the trophy presentation, the victory parade and so many other moments that the players and fans deserve to be a part of.
Old 31-05-20, 07:44 AM   #1105
marcus50bucks
Niko Bellic

Quote:
Fans' return to stadiums imminent in Italy and Spain while Premier League looks to September
Home supporters numbering up to 20 per cent of ground's capacity may be allowed back for Serie A resumption in mid-June

By Luke Edwards
30 May 2020 • 7:49pm

Italy and Spain have unveiled plans to allow supporters back into stadiums to watch their teams play as the Premier League continues to look at a variety of options to do the same next season.

Richard Masters, the Premier League’s chief executive, confirmed it was looking at proposals to allow fans to attend live games from September onwards, but would not reveal any details in a typically cagey interview.

But in Italy and Spain, where coronavirus cases are on a sharper downward curve, reopening stadiums is already being publicly discussed, with speculation the grounds will be allowed to open at a third of their normal capacity, with one in three seats occupied, in order to ensure social distancing rules can be obeyed.

Fans will be heat tested before entering the stadium to check whether they are showing any symptoms and there will be hand-sanitising stations at every entrance.

Italian football, which is due to resume the Coppa Italia on June 13, four days before the first Premier League match is scheduled, is even looking at ways for fans to attend from the start of the season resumption. “We are reflecting on it, certainly, because it’s only right to take another step forward after the reopening,” said the Lecce president, Saverio Sticchi Damiani.

“I think that, if possible, it would be good to create a rotation between our 20,000 season-ticket holders, obviously blocking the sale of new tickets. We have a 30,000-seat stadium in Lecce, so it would be nice to offer some of our fans – in rotation – a little entertainment, always obviously following necessary precautions and guaranteeing social distancing.”

The Italian government is unlikely to intervene as it has already ruled that events holding as many as 300 people will be allowed to take place in a closed setting like a cinema or concert hall, with up to 1,000 attending open air events.

The majority of Italy’s coronavirus cases were contained in the north of the country and the Italians endured a far stricter lockdown as the healthcare system was initially overrun.

The Corriere dello Sport notes that if a seat is 45cm wide, then one of every three seats could theoretically be filled while allowing for social distancing.

If the same rules were applied in the Premier League, in theory Manchester United’s Old Trafford would be allowed to hold a crowd of around 25,000, Liverpool’s Anfield’s capacity would be reduced to around 18,000 and Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium could take around 20,000.

These would have to be made up entirely of home fans, chosen for each fixture via a ballot or on a rota basis, as the police would not accept away fans travelling to and from games.

In Spain, the long-term plan may well be even bolder, with reports that La Liga will open stadiums to 20 per cent of capacity when next season starts in September, increasing to 50 per cent in November and back to full capacity in January.

Much, though, will depend on whether a second coronavirus wave – which many predict will happen – hits the country in the autumn or winter.

Poland, Russia and Serbia have already announced their plans to reopen stadiums to approximately 25 per cent capacity from June.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...-league-looks/
marcus50bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-20, 10:05 AM   #1106
BigChief
Paisley

Quote:
Question...

Tainted means deliberately spoiled, discredited or cheated. Apart from City, obviously, I can't see what's tainted about this season. Interrupted, yes.

Is your career or CV tainted because you had to go on furlough in 2020?
Old 31-05-20, 10:36 AM   #1107
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChief View Post
Tainted means deliberately spoiled, discredited or cheated. Apart from City, obviously, I can't see what's tainted about this season. Interrupted, yes.

Is your career or CV tainted because you had to go on furlough in 2020?
I don't think that covers all angles of tainted. It can be tainted without it being our fault IMO
Old 31-05-20, 10:43 AM   #1108
RichC
Meh

Everything that’s gone on with this is totally out of our hands but I know what Chazza means.

This season should be one of talking about what a fantastic side this Liverpool team are, breaking records etc.... I feel though it’ll always be referred back to as the league blighted by Covid-19. Nothing we can do though, win the bloody thing and move on with No:19 in the bag.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-20, 11:28 AM   #1109
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Only people too young to remember won't realise how much life was disrupted and that's none of us. We'll remember it
Old 01-06-20, 08:19 PM   #1110
dom9
Ant Pisser

Old Today, 12:47 PM   #1111
dom9
Ant Pisser

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52904364

Quote:
Amazon Prime will make Premier League games free-to-air

Amazon Prime will make its four Premier League games free-to-air when the season restarts.

Fans will not need a Prime membership to watch fixtures on the online streaming service when the top-flight campaign resumes from 17 June.

Every one of the remaining 92 Premier League games will be broadcast live across Sky Sports, BT Sport, BBC Sport or Amazon Prime.

In total, 33 of those matches will be free-to-air.

Alex Green, managing director of Prime Video Sport Europe, said: "Like the rest of the country, we are excited to see the Premier League return to action.

"We will be making all four of Amazon Prime Video's additional fixtures in the 2019-20 season available free of charge; fans will not need a Prime membership to view the games on Prime Video."

In May, it was announced that four Premier League games will be broadcast, free to air, live on BBC Sport when the season resumes.

It will be the first time the BBC has shown live Premier League matches, and the first time the broadcaster has shown any live top-flight football since 1988.

Sky Sports will make 25 of the remaining top-flight matches free to air, including the Merseyside derby on the first weekend after the resumption - 19-21 June.
So Sky are showing 25 games for free too - including our first game.
Old Today, 04:24 PM   #1112
ChesterDave
Paisley

1 positive test in the latest 1,197 samples

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC