It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 13-11-15, 05:44 PM   #4961
Chazza
Des Lynam

Joshua v Whyte has been moved to PPV on a 'huge' night of boxing.

Fuck off Sky and fuck off Eddie.
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-15, 05:46 PM   #4962
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

De La Hoya - love it!
Old 13-11-15, 06:10 PM   #4963
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazza View Post
Joshua v Whyte has been moved to PPV on a 'huge' night of boxing.

Fuck off Sky and fuck off Eddie.

No real surprise.

Obviously never in a billion years a PPV card but you know there's real needle between Joshua and Whyte. They really don't like each other
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-15, 06:10 PM   #4964
rodo
Shankly

Nobody questioning how G came across the article in the first place
Old 13-11-15, 06:20 PM   #4965
spud_gun
Paisley

Oscar comes across as a butt hurt little bitch.

He doesn't have too much to say about his part in 'the fight that saved boxing'

His line about brawlers is churlish to say the least. Boxers who lead with their face tend to have short careers. Mike Alvarado and Brandon Rios being two recent notable examples. Rios is seemingly out the game before the age of 30.

The best pure boxer on the planet unfortunately can't get a look in. In part due to poor management and in part due to his supposed 'boring' style.

Anyone who bought a Mayweather PPV during the HBO run expecting a 'war' is a ****.

He was first and foremost a saftey first fighter. The best in his profession for a generation and he'll be regarded in the same company as Pep, Sweet Pea and Benetiez in the years to come.
Old 13-11-15, 06:35 PM   #4966
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Methinks it is just the start of various attempts to goad Mayweather Jr into a bout with a Golden Boy promotions fighter or at the vcery least one with strong ties to GBP.

Now who has ties to GBP that would be out for a megamoney fight with Mayweather Jr.....

And of course Oscar's rant will have nowt at all to do with the names, executives and boxers, that left GBP in 2015 and than aligned themselves with Mayweather Promotions.

Do the dead love the flesh of man because it is like the tomato? We'll never know. But I have my suspicions.
Jaco_Pastorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-15, 06:42 PM   #4967
G
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodo View Post
Nobody questioning how G came across the article in the first place
Twas very innocent I swear

Evander Holyfield retweeted it, no really!
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-15, 08:45 PM   #4968
Saveloy
Expect the Wurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
Oscar comes across as a butt hurt little bitch.

He doesn't have too much to say about his part in 'the fight that saved boxing'

His line about brawlers is churlish to say the least. Boxers who lead with their face tend to have short careers. Mike Alvarado and Brandon Rios being two recent notable examples. Rios is seemingly out the game before the age of 30.

The best pure boxer on the planet unfortunately can't get a look in. In part due to poor management and in part due to his supposed 'boring' style.

Anyone who bought a Mayweather PPV during the HBO run expecting a 'war' is a ****.

He was first and foremost a saftey first fighter. The best in his profession for a generation and he'll be regarded in the same company as Pep, Sweet Pea and Benetiez in the years to come.
But he's right to call him out on avoiding or delaying certain fights isn't he?
Saveloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-15, 11:32 PM   #4969
RichC
Meh

Reads as a bitter man tbh & don't forget he's a promoter these days NOT a boxer and is trying to make his promotion interesting and something that should be bought into.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-15, 01:06 AM   #4970
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Reads as a bitter man tbh & don't forget he's a promoter these days NOT a boxer and is trying to make his promotion interesting and something that should be bought into.

Not only is he a promoter, he is a promoter who was involved in a few legal actions earlier this year and one who has seen people from his promotion leave to go to Mayweather Promotions, and some of the others who left him, whilst having not joined Mayweather promotions yet, have lined themselves up as being bedfellows of Mayweather Promotions.

Throw in GBP's abrasive relationship with Al Haymon, and the fact that Richard Schaefer is now long gone from GBP (and Schaefer is another expected to officially become part of Mayweather Promotions) and it becomes really difficult to see De La Hoya's piece as either being a bitter rant over his promotion losing out badly or a bitter attempt to try and get his guy (Amir Khan - who is still advised by Haymon which adds another little knife twist for Oscar) a cash cow bout against Mayweathr Jr.

Do the dead love the flesh of man because it is like the tomato? We'll never know. But I have my suspicions.
Old 16-11-15, 09:29 PM   #4971
Chazza
Des Lynam

Klitschko/Fury: The Gloves are off on Skysports 1 @ 10:15pm
Old 18-11-15, 10:13 PM   #4972
Chazza
Des Lynam

Quote:
David Haye set to return, new trainer Shane McGuigan

Former cruiserweight king David Haye, who also claimed the WBA heavyweight title during an accomplished career that appeared to be finished after major shoulder surgery ended his plans to face Tyson Fury some months back, is set to return to the ring next year. Speaking exclusively with The Lad Bible, in a story that has generated plenty of interest, in the UK especially, Haye announced how he has been working out under new coach Shane McGuigan, the son of Irish featherweight legend Barry and the current trainer of unbeaten super-bantamweight king Carl Frampton.

Haye, who last fought in the summer of 2012, knocking out Dereck Chisora in the 5th-round of a grudge-match, has asked fans to tell him just who he should fight in his comeback, which will presumably go ahead in the early months of 2016. There are a number of intriguing match-ups that could involve Haye, who, at age 35 and after a career that thus far hasn’t dished out an extraordinary amount of punishment, may well have plenty let to offer the heavyweights – and one possible fight with Olympic hero Anthony Joshua has already been mentioned by some fans.

However, in light of his recent postponements/injuries, perhaps a better question is, should Haye have waited until he has actually completed a training camp without issue before announcing his ring return plans. “I’ll believe it when I see it,” wrote one understandably sceptical fan on social media this week.

Still, Haye was exciting and he was Box Office material a few years ago, and maybe he can be again.

In an interesting addition to Haye’s comeback plans, one man has already called him out – even though he fights at cruiserweight: Liverpool’s Tony Bellew, with the former light-heavyweight asking for a catch-weight clash against Haye. This looks extremely unlikely to happen, but whoever Haye does fight in his return, it will surely prove interesting. If it actually goes ahead.
http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/davi...cguigan-314211
Old 20-11-15, 05:00 PM   #4973
Gibbo
Like a boss

Picks for the weekend then chaps?

I've got Canelo by decision. Cotto to start strong but Canelo to pull away.
Old 21-11-15, 07:44 AM   #4974
Zapater
Dalglish

I definitely have Cotto as a huge favourite. I like Canelo, but I don't think he's at that level yet, possibly ever. It's the first real test for Cotto and Roach so it'll be interesting to see. Martinez was an incredible fighter, but towards the end of the career he was finished after that knockdown to Chavez. Sergio says that Cotto caught him cold and he was in tip top shape for that fight, but I don't believe him - he's just an old school athlete not wanting to make excuses, his knees seemed fucked. He was knocked down so many times in his last couple of fights. Not sure if you can judge him on that. It has to go down as one of his best wins but Martinez was done.

Geale is a good fighter, but nowhere near that level. Let's be honest, if there were only 1 or two belts per division, Geale wouldn't be anywhere near world champ. A strong gatekeeper and top 10 contender - that's it. Cotto isn't a real middleweight and forced Geale to be dead at the weight wasn't in his favour either. It was a nice KO again, but we haven't seen for sure if it's Cotto rejuvenated or if it's well selected opposition.

Despite that, I think that Cotto should win this. He's the smaller man, but he's been in there with a lot of really really good guys before. Canelo is class but can be a bit sloppy and think that Cotto will take him apart as things progress. Canelo is very good when he's up for it but he's had a couple of indifferent nights, I for example thought that Lara beat him, obviously this is a very different style of fight, and I expect Alvarez to be at his very best. I just have an inkling this will be an easier night for Cotto than people imagine.

Regarding the De la Hoya letter, I do somewhat agree with him. I know that Pacquiao does/did the same thing - fighting guys past their primes who are dead at the weight to an extent - also who have styles made to order for him. I don't think that Mayweather is all that boring, some of his fights weren't great the 'filler' ones like Robert Guerero, Berto etc but you still have to admire what he did. He fought some of the best fighters of the generation and won the fights in an incredibly risky fashion. Some people may find it 'boring' but going against big hitters with your hands down like he does, stepping staight back to avoid punches, the confidence in the shoulder roll etc are ALL high risk manoeuvres. So to say that he is afraid of risk completely is bullshit. He could have fought better people or the same people at different points in their careers and his 0 could easily be a 1, 2 or 3. I'm positive if he'd have been beaten (possibly KO'd) if he fought Shane Mosley at lightweight around the late 90s, early 2000s if he moved up from super featherweight. There are a few other situations like that, and that Castillo fight on a different day would have been scored as a loss, it was close. As Jaco says, probably more something to try to draw him out of retirement than anything.

I'm a huge Oscar fan, but the guy can say and do some stupid things sometimes. I'm not saying this is, but yes. In and out of the ring, I do like him - but sometimes I think he should keep a lower profile. My fondest memory of him is when he threw that left hook to knock Fernando Vargas out. What a shot.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-15, 12:13 PM   #4975
marcus50bucks
Niko Bellic

Some fishy stuff going on behind the scene which make me think Cotto won't get the win even if it's clear that he won the fight. All this stuff about him being stripped of his wbc belt. And the fact that Canelo will get the belt should he win. It's a load of bollocks. I don't blame Cotto for not wanting to pay the sanctioning fee.

I think Cotto will be the worthy winner tonight but I'm expecting the judges to give it to Canelo
marcus50bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-15, 11:30 PM   #4976
Chazza
Des Lynam

Murray right in this fight.
Old 21-11-15, 11:40 PM   #4977
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Murray right in this fight.
Not the greatest of fights though.

I've got Abraham 2 up going into the 11th
Old 21-11-15, 11:42 PM   #4978
Chazza
Des Lynam

Point off will kill any chance.
Old 21-11-15, 11:49 PM   #4979
spud_gun
Paisley

Got Abraham by 5 on my card. 8 - 4 in rounds + point deduction.

Paul Smith gave Abraham a harder fight the first time round.
Old 21-11-15, 11:51 PM   #4980
Chazza
Des Lynam

I thought Murray did alright but nevermind eh.
Old 21-11-15, 11:52 PM   #4981
RichC
Meh

Gave it a real go
Old 22-11-15, 12:11 AM   #4982
Chazza
Des Lynam

Drunk boxing fans and a minutes silence.

Good luck.
Old 22-11-15, 12:12 AM   #4983
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Drunk boxing fans and a minutes silence.

Good luck.

was thinking much the same
Old 22-11-15, 12:12 AM   #4984
RichC
Meh

Can Crolla do it this time ?
Old 22-11-15, 12:15 AM   #4985
spud_gun
Paisley

If he performs like he did in the first fight then he should win it this time.
Old 22-11-15, 12:35 AM   #4986
RichC
Meh

Well there's my answer !! Good on him
Old 22-11-15, 12:37 AM   #4987
Chazza
Des Lynam

Done him.
Old 22-11-15, 12:37 AM   #4988
spud_gun
Paisley

lovely punch to finish it
Old 22-11-15, 06:58 AM   #4989
marcus50bucks
Niko Bellic

Shocking scorecard, it weren't that wide ffs
Old 22-11-15, 07:09 AM   #4990
Zapater
Dalglish

I agree. i had Cotto winning it by a few rounds. I know that Canelo had the heavier shots and this is pro boxing. But he looked very ponderous at times, I think that Cotto should be awarded ring generalship points (for fighting the fight he was looking to fight and executing the gameplan as he wanted to) and defensive effectiveness. He caught a lot of those shots on the gloves or slipped them - the judges were definitely either swayed by the crowd or were favouring Canelo.

If Canelo won by 1-3 rounds on the cards, I can accept it because there were very close ones which could go either way. Depends what you like and are looking for. But the wide margin is confusing.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-15, 11:04 AM   #4991
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
I agree. i had Cotto winning it by a few rounds. I know that Canelo had the heavier shots and this is pro boxing. But he looked very ponderous at times, I think that Cotto should be awarded ring generalship points (for fighting the fight he was looking to fight and executing the gameplan as he wanted to) and defensive effectiveness. He caught a lot of those shots on the gloves or slipped them - the judges were definitely either swayed by the crowd or were favouring Canelo.

If Canelo won by 1-3 rounds on the cards, I can accept it because there were very close ones which could go either way. Depends what you like and are looking for. But the wide margin is confusing.

Cotto was the busier looking fighter but Canelo was the one doing more heavy work. What caught the eye for me was the manner in which Canelo responded to being hit cleanly. Cotto would connect with a right and Canelo would straight away throw a hook or a hook followed by an uppercut. Canelo ws also quite smart in trying to land the opening shots most rounds as well as throwing heavy towards the end of each round which is a tactic that often sways judges into scoring a bit more favourably than deserved. He may not have landed the first and last shot of each round but he generally landed the firt and last heavy (or eyecatching) shots in each round.

The scoring was very poor. Realistically it was a one or two round fight. I think the correct decision was made in terms of the winner, but for me it was a 115-113 fight rather than the 119-109/117-111/118-110 fight seen by the judges.

Think Canelo would have been robbed had his hand not been raised, but also that Cotto was done a disservice by the awful scoring. Like yourself I can only assume that the judges were swayed by the crowd and/or by Canelo's clever (but very obvious tactic) of letting fly early and late most rounds.

Enjoyed the bout though as both fighters had a very clear game plan and for the most part they both had success in implementing those game plans.

Last edited by Jaco_Pastorious; 22-11-15 at 11:06 AM.
Old 22-11-15, 12:45 PM   #4992
spud_gun
Paisley

Fell asleep around the second round of the Cotto fight. Woke up with about a minute left of round 12.

Did see the Vargas fight that. That was a cracker.
Old 22-11-15, 12:58 PM   #4993
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Fell asleep around the second round of the Cotto fight. Woke up with about a minute left of round 12.

Did see the Vargas fight that. That was a cracker.

And you still would have scored it better than the actual judges.

Old 22-11-15, 01:34 PM   #4994
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious View Post
And you still would have scored it better than the actual judges.
Only if I wasn't a WBC appointed judge
Old 22-11-15, 01:45 PM   #4995
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Only if I wasn't a WBC appointed judge

You would be a JPC appointed judge

Old 22-11-15, 06:04 PM   #4996
Gibbo
Like a boss

116-112 Canelo for me.

Can see the argument to have it closer either way though.
Old 23-11-15, 01:06 PM   #4997
marcus50bucks
Niko Bellic

Looking forward to the Fury fight this weekend. I'm no doubt in the minority when I say I will be rooting for Mr Fury
Old 23-11-15, 11:58 PM   #4998
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Rooting for Wlad and hope that Marcus gets a dose of the shits for backing Fury

Old 24-11-15, 12:38 AM   #4999
spud_gun
Paisley

Would love to see Fury win if only because I want to see him do a scissor kick in the middle of the ring.
Old 24-11-15, 01:29 PM   #5000
Daniel 7
Heretic

I do think it would be pretty funny if Fury won - Klitschko is so, so dull.
Daniel 7 is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > General > General Sports