It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > General > General Sports

Old 12-03-19, 11:07 PM   #3521
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Last time we went to Twickenham Fraser Brown got carded within 60 seconds, so I uses anything is an improvement.

I always sit down with hope. But it will be a tiny flickering candle on Saturday.

Thank fuck it is a WC year and I don’t have to wait 12 months for meaningful internationals.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-19, 07:42 AM   #3522
Irishnev
Shankly

Looks like we have Leavy and Kearney inline to start vs Wales, big boost
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-19, 08:23 AM   #3523
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Wales are tough to beat at home, it's going to be a some battle but England have this wrapped up imo.
Old 14-03-19, 10:23 AM   #3524
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

The 22 minutes of Hamish Watson How different our tournament might have been...

Quote:
It was one of the highlights of the Scotland v Wales game, no matter what your nationality.

The sight of Scottish replacement Hamish Watson tearing up the Murrayfield turf within seconds of coming on in the 65th minute was genuinely something to behold.

It was a 15 minute tour de force that almost saw Wales legend Martyn Williams give him the official man-of-the-match award and left the pundits asking what on earth he'd had for breakfast.

He had briefly appeared earlier for seven minutes during the first-half as a blood replacement and, combined with his later brief cameo, he astonishingly managed to beat 10 defenders - the most ever by a Scotland player in a Six Nations match. It was twice as many as any other player on the pitch managed in the entire 80 minutes.

It also places him sixth in the leaderboard for defenders beaten in the entire 2019 Six Nations Championship, despite the fact those 22 minutes are the only ones he's played after recovering from a broken hand.

He's just two behind Keith Earls and Wales' Liam Williams, who are both on 12.

Watson carried the ball five times after coming on, leaving two defenders lying in his wake on average each time. He made a total of 35 metres in all.

Even the likes of Alun Wyn Jones and Hadleigh Parkes were seen bouncing off him in the final quarter.

The mulleted back rower is a huge favourite among Scotland fans, with his low body position and powerful hand-offs making him rather difficult to stop.
Old 14-03-19, 10:37 AM   #3525
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

He was absolutely phenomenal and really threw us on the back foot.
Red_Polo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-19, 09:58 PM   #3526
Cormack74
Shankly

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47574452

Joe Schmidt has hinted Wales broke protocol in asking Six Nations bosses to close the Principality Stadium roof for the potential tournament decider.

Under Six Nations rules, both teams would have to agree on the issue.

Schmidt said Wales had asked for the measure because of the bad weather forecast for Saturday's game.

When it was put to Schmidt on Thursday that normally the visitors would be asked to decide on the roof, the Ireland coach replied: "Yes, normally."

"There's been a request from Wales that in the interest of the quality of the game and the very poor weather forecast that the roof be closed," said Schmidt.

"So they've said to the Six Nations directly, 'can it be closed?"'

Ireland still should receive the final say on the roof but Schmidt refused to be drawn, simply insisting his team would cope one way or another.

When asked what Ireland want, Schmidt continued: "We'll adapt, we'll adapt.

"At the moment I'm not sure about the roof."

Schmidt fears closing the roof could make precious little difference in any case, recalling how he believes Wales over-watered the pitch back in 2017, when the hosts prevailed 22-9.

"For us, last time we said 'look, we don't mind, you choose'," said Schmidt.

"And they chose closed, but made the field incredibly wet at the start of the game.

"So we will probably be happy enough if it's open anyway."

Wales boss Warren Gatland confirmed he was waiting on a final decision but expected Ireland to ask for the roof to be open.

"We have not heard definitively but we understand they want it open, which is not a concern for us," said Gatland.

"My only concern is that if it is pouring down with rain then we do have a responsibility to the game for a spectacle.

"Both teams have to agree to the roof being closed so that means basically the away team decides what happens in our stadium.

"I have made a number of comments in the past about that. It's our stadium and we should be able to do what we want with it."

Said the man whose team has scored the same number of tries as Italy

And his case is somewhat weak when reading JS comments about watering the pitch.

Of course he wants the roof shut to increase the atmosphere but why not just be honest about it.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-19, 10:36 PM   #3527
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

They play this charade out every time.

Just this time there is something massive riding on it.
Old 14-03-19, 11:37 PM   #3528
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Well let's be honest, the home team should be able to close the roof on their own stadium if they fucking well want to. It's absolutely farcical the away team should have any say in the matter.
Old 16-03-19, 12:22 PM   #3529
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Roof open in Cardiff

Dreading the game at Twickenham, Eddie Jones is such a fucking whopper. Literally antagonises everyone, though he may have lit a bit of a fire under the Scottish team. In general he is doing nothing to soften relations between the English and the other home nations.

I’m worried we are going to get trounced.

Kinghorn out for the season which is bad news for Edinburgh.
Old 16-03-19, 12:34 PM   #3530
Cormack74
Shankly

I'm so glad he's an Aussie. I dread to think how it would be if he was English coming out with the stuff he does
Old 16-03-19, 12:42 PM   #3531
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

He’s unreal. I think an Englishman would have a better grasp on the history of rivalries. And being a brash shoots from the hip Aussie twat isn’t the way through every situation. This time last year England were half way through a run of 6 back to back defeats so to hear him crowing is particularly galling.

I couldn’t stand him when he was Aussie or Japan coach.

England are a scalp, and it will be interesting to see how he manages the pressures of being England coach at the World Cup.
Old 16-03-19, 12:50 PM   #3532
RichC
Meh

Not a fan of Jones but let’s be honest the Scots would still feel the same way they always do when playing England.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-19, 12:52 PM   #3533
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Roof open in Cardiff
Predictably so and for the exact same reason every away team wants this - worried about it enhancing the atmosphere.
Old 16-03-19, 12:57 PM   #3534
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Not a fan of Jones but letís be honest the Scots would still feel the same way they always do when playing England.
Nah, he feels like an unwelcome guest to an already rowdy party. I donít mind some of the old England players and commentators who respect the encounter and the history of the match.

Heís just a wanker.

Itís always going to be a big game for us, and obviously the reason we celebrate wins heavily is because weíve been on the wrong end of the result more often than not.

Itís a great rivalry to have.
Old 16-03-19, 01:27 PM   #3535
Cormack74
Shankly

Strong wind forecast for Twickenham but it's a big high bowl so not sure how much affect it will have? Back in the day I seem to recall Bill Mclaren referring to the "Twickenham swirl" but that may have been when it was made up of 4 corrugated metal boxes with gaps between them.
Old 16-03-19, 04:25 PM   #3536
Irishnev
Shankly

I am livid watching this, we’ve lost all the composure we wer famed for. Shocking decisions, forcing the play and butchering chances close to the Welsh line.

I’d say we’ve given away more penalties this half than the entire tournament so far! We need to wake the fuck up.
Old 16-03-19, 05:40 PM   #3537
Cormack74
Shankly

Congrats to Wales.

If you're top then there's not much anyone can say other than well done for scoring the same number of tournament tries as Italy

Ireland really didn't show up - shame really that it wasn't more of a contest but in fairness to them they had the shortest turnaround which couldn't have helped.
Old 16-03-19, 05:41 PM   #3538
Irishnev
Shankly

Wales superb and in fairness they always seem to deliver when the stakes are high. Ireland were abject and compounded by a Sexton/Murray horror show.

The roof, all about the roof.......you know it rains in Wales also....not like they’ve never played in the rain before.
Old 16-03-19, 05:43 PM   #3539
Cormack74
Shankly

At half time in the first game v France I must admit I would have been very surprised if I'd been told Wales would win the grand slam.
Old 16-03-19, 05:47 PM   #3540
Cormack74
Shankly

Buzzo - whilst I clearly don't want England to lose I'm really not going to be that bothered if it happens today. I feel pretty anti-climatic after that game so I'll be happy just to watch an end to end frenzy of attacking rugby and however it turns out then so be it.
Old 16-03-19, 05:58 PM   #3541
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Gatland - "Didn't look too tired."
Old 16-03-19, 07:04 PM   #3542
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack74 View Post
Buzzo - whilst I clearly don't want England to lose I'm really not going to be that bothered if it happens today. I feel pretty anti-climatic after that game so I'll be happy just to watch an end to end frenzy of attacking rugby and however it turns out then so be it.
We need to salvage some pride by just showing up second half.

Class from England so far. We look a rabble.
Old 16-03-19, 07:22 PM   #3543
ChesterDave
Paisley

Wtf is going on
Old 16-03-19, 07:43 PM   #3544
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Quote:
Class from England so far. We look a rabble.
Checks timestamp
Old 16-03-19, 07:45 PM   #3545
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Wales were outstanding completely deserved it, we were dire.

What a comeback from Scotland, incredible really.
Old 16-03-19, 07:47 PM   #3546
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by danperkins View Post
Wales were outstanding completely deserved it, we were dire.

What a comeback from Scotland, incredible really.
Aye, bonkers game
Old 16-03-19, 07:50 PM   #3547
Cormack74
Shankly

Well it was what I wanted, what a ridiculous incredible game. England seem to have a huge problem losing focus when they're ahead. Not sure how they will fix that but they'll need to if they want to progress in the WC.
Old 16-03-19, 07:51 PM   #3548
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

And another for England over time draw, absolutely nuts
Old 16-03-19, 07:54 PM   #3549
spud_gun
Paisley

That's the most Scottish thing ever.
spud_gun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-19, 08:01 PM   #3550
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Fucking hell.

Was disappointing to not hold on.

But that was fucking immense from 31 down. Heroic.

Finn Russell is incredible.

I made one of my kids cry I was so loud when Finn scores Famiky hate me right now.
Old 16-03-19, 08:02 PM   #3551
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Fucking hell.

Was disappointing to not hold on.

But that was fucking immense from 31 down. Heroic.

Finn Russell is incredible.

I made one of my kids cry I was so loud when Finn scores Famiky hate me right now.
I've been that soldier
Old 16-03-19, 08:11 PM   #3552
Cormack74
Shankly

I used to watch games in a different room - the kids couldn't understand why Dad was getting so shouty when they were little.
Old 16-03-19, 08:13 PM   #3553
Cormack74
Shankly

How quick is Mcinally? There aren't many that get away from May and certainly not forwards.
Old 16-03-19, 08:18 PM   #3554
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
I've been that soldier
They were sat at the table eating.

I opened a bottle of Cava (all we had) at HT.

So after my youngest was crying my Missus looked at me and said. Can you stop shouting. I said no

Tried explaining how often Iíve had to swallow thrashings from the English - so it means a lot, but suspect thatís for another day

Very proud of that second half. Itís a tournament that could have been very different for us.
Old 16-03-19, 08:24 PM   #3555
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace

Quote:

So after my youngest was crying my Missus looked at me and said. Can you stop shouting. I said no

Tried explaining how often Iíve had to swallow thrashings from the English - so it means a lot, but suspect thatís for another day

Very proud of that second half. Itís a tournament that could have been very different for us.

My missus is Scottish and she was going ape shit ha ha ha! Mum's Scottish too so can imagine she's happy.

Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-19, 08:36 PM   #3556
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:

Ha ha - my Mrs just doesnít get the rivalry and the (ahem) rage it can induce. A nearly tournament for you - probably should have beaten us and could have beaten Wales.

You blooded a lot of players and that will stand to you longer term. For us.....the only way was down and the form of a number of our key players is worrying. A lot of decent teams at the WC but NZ the clear favs for me.
Old 16-03-19, 08:41 PM   #3557
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

When Finn went under the sticks the foundations were rocking I roared so load.

We soooo badly needed that second half performance to restore some pride.

The WC throws up some interesting perspectives with every team arriving with tmreasons to be cheerful and reasons to be fearful.

I can’t stand Eddie Jones. Absolutely loathe the way he is in the press. Incapable of offering praise. He looked absolutely rattled second half though.
Old 16-03-19, 10:15 PM   #3558
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

What did everyone make of Farrell tackle btw? That’s at least a yellow for me. He sized Darcy Graham up and went in no arms, no consideration of where the ball was.
Old 16-03-19, 10:20 PM   #3559
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Austin Healey and Matt Dawson think red. That was my initial thought, but then you factor in that it is Farrell

Old 16-03-19, 10:33 PM   #3560
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Austin Healey and Matt Dawson think red. That was my initial thought, but then you factor in that it is Farrell

https://twitter.com/iamaustinhealey/...86536317452294
I saw someone refer to him on twitter as the Fernandinho of rugby.....always gets away with it.

est1892 > General > General Sports