It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 30-06-11, 03:39 PM   #41
Mostar
Chief Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMan2006 View Post
I think he's worth £15m in today's market. And he'd be a great fit in our team, works like a cart horse and has good energy and delivery.
Imo there is no way City would even remotely entertain any ideas of selling him unless the starting bid is close to 20m mark.
Member #1 of the Luis Suarez fan club
Mostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 30-06-11, 08:51 PM   #42
Redspin
Not even the slightest bit grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillobShaisley View Post
Come on guys get a grip. OK so he's not Aguero or Nani but FFS £3m?!?!?

He's about as much use as Ashley Young and a similar age.
Thank you. I was struggling to articulate how fucking crap this bloke is and your last sentence sums him up admirably
Redspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-11, 10:23 PM   #43
Daniel 7
Heretic

Isn't Milner pretty slow?

He's finished at City, and we seem to have a penchant for north eastern and former north eastern players, so why not? And he's Engerlund, so bound to be a fantastic signing.
Daniel 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-11, 11:11 PM   #44
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel 7 View Post
Isn't Milner pretty slow?
Surely not as slow as our Dirk though?

Can't often be the case that a forward/offensive wide midfield player is the slowest person at a club.

Note; I cannot categorically state that I know this to be true since I am relying on a Jamie Carragher interview as my source.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-11, 11:21 PM   #45
Cleo
Benitez

Please...
This would be a new Kewell or Keane for us - would go mental if we went down that road again

I just hope someone has a cunning plan
Cleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 12:04 AM   #46
Chazza
Des Lynam

Top of the wanted list according to Oliver Kay in tomorrow's Times.
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 12:20 AM   #47
Gazzla
Dalglish

Fucks sake, what a depressing link the stereotypical he always gives a 100% English footballer, Dirk Kuyt but without the goal threat
Old 08-01-15, 12:44 AM   #48
Tee
El Pistolero

Useful player but FFS this is so uninspiring.
Old 08-01-15, 12:52 AM   #49
Leyton388
aka liverpooltj

Stevies replacement sorted then. Fucking depressing.
Leyton388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 12:52 AM   #50
Patricks_Berger
Fagan

Given our lack of energy, mobility and strength in the middle of the park he'd be a great addition and might help us cut out the sort of crap that sees us surrender the midfield (and a 2 goal lead) to the likes of Leicester City.
Patricks_Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 01:16 AM   #51
Tee
El Pistolero

My enduring memory of him will be his utterly woeful displays for England, especially in the first WC game in SA. He has improved but I am starting to despise our whole set up and ethos.
Old 08-01-15, 01:16 AM   #52
lfcpl
Souness

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/...cle4317048.ece
Exclusive: Liverpool put James Milner at top of wanted list

Oliver Kay Chief Football Correspondent
Published 1 minute ago

Liverpool have begun planning for life after Steven Gerrard’s departure by looking to exploit the growing uncertainty over James Milner’s future at Manchester City.

The Merseyside club are in pole position to sign Milner on a free transfer at the end of the season after the breakdown of his contract negotiations with City.

Milner has informed City team-mates that he believes there is little chance of him staying at the club beyond the expiry of his contract this summer after he was told last week that there will be no improvement on the offer he rejected last month. Despite having been a more regular starter this season, Milner, who turned 29 this week, feels that his long-term prospects at City look less encouraging in the light of the club’s take-it-or-leave-it approach to negotiations.

The England midfielder has been eligible to sign a pre-contract agreement with an overseas club since January 1, amid reported enthusiasm from Inter Milan and Roma, and also attracted firm interest from Arsenal last summer, but the strongest bid is expected to come from Liverpool if no agreement has been reached with City by the end of the season.

Liverpool need to revamp their midfield in view of Gerrard’s looming departure to Los Angeles Galaxy, who confirmed yesterday that the former England captain will join them in July on an 18-month deal. “We were aggressive in our pursuit of Steven and look forward to his contributions on and off the field,” Chris Klein, the Galaxy president, said.

Liverpool have a longstanding interest in Milner, who has been discussed at length by their transfer committee, including Brendan Rodgers, and scouting department. Their hopes of signing him hinge on the stalemate in his negotiations with City, but, as the impasse has dragged on, the Merseyside club have made plans to offer Milner a long-term deal as part of a midfield overhaul.

Milner has started ten of City’s opening 20 Premier League matches this season, having started only 12 times last season, and his versatility is valued by Manuel Pellegrini, who has used him at centre forward in recent matches to ease an injury crisis. For City to lose him would represent another blow in their annual struggle to meet the Premier League’s and Uefa’s home-grown player quota.

Fabian Delph, another England midfielder who has been on Liverpool’s radar, is the subject of growing interest from Tottenham Hotspur. Like Milner, Delph is in the final months of his contract, in his case at Aston Villa, and has so far rejected offers to sign a new deal.
lfcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 08:59 AM   #53
Red Wino
Benitez

Yay. Joe Cole MkII.
Red Wino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 09:03 AM   #54
Patricks_Berger
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wino View Post
Yay. Joe Cole MkII.
Apart from being English and on a free- where are the similarities?
Patricks_Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 09:04 AM   #55
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricks_Berger View Post
Given our lack of energy, mobility and strength in the middle of the park he'd be a great addition and might help us cut out the sort of crap that sees us surrender the midfield (and a 2 goal lead) to the likes of Leicester City.

Have to agree.

I think people think he's uninspiring because of who he is, the fact he's English and not foreign.

Let's look at the positives from potentially signing him of which there are many.

Firstly all of the above. He brings a lot of energy and strength to the midfield as well as assisting the front players. He's a great all round player. Has lots of experience at the very highest level at City and would bring this with him if he were to move which also means he brings a strong, winning mentality with him.

Doesn't mind being a squad player as he doesn't always get opportunities at City but he seems to display a very good positive attitude which is what BR is looking for I'd have thought.

He can tackle, shoot, cross. Has some skills, decent feet and is comfortable on either side. Gets goals, is still relatively young as well.

I really can't see many negatives if any with this signing. I can't understand what everyone is getting so upset about. Yes, we'd all like the likes of Reus etc to join but realistically it's not going to happen.

Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 09:07 AM   #56
Boogs
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee View Post
My enduring memory of him will be his utterly woeful displays for England, especially in the first WC game in SA. He has improved but I am starting to despise our whole set up and ethos.

I would say you've been vocal for some time about your dissatisfaction with how the way things are being done
Old 08-01-15, 09:11 AM   #57
Reece

I personally think Milner is really underrated by some. I know he's not necessarily the first name on the team sheet for Citeh but he usually seems to put in good performances for them whenever I see him.

He's an experienced Premier League winner who can play in a number positions. On a free it's a no brainer to me.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 09:17 AM   #58
dom9
Ant Pisser

He changed the game at Anfield last season, resulting in positive reviews from many on here.
Old 08-01-15, 09:17 AM   #59
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
I personally think Milner is really underrated by some. I know he's not necessarily the first name on the team sheet for Citeh but he usually seems to put in good performances for them whenever I see him.

He's an experienced Premier League winner who can play in a number positions. On a free it's a no brainer to me.
Agree. Presuming his wages demands aren't ridiculous, we should definitely be in for him. We need the experience too
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 09:30 AM   #60
Phoenix07
The Normal One

I'd have him here. Criminally underrated, and it'd give Rossiter and Williams time to develop.

Henderson, Can, Delph and Milner would give energy and a quick transition in our play from defence to attack. I can't see Rodgers selling Allen, but it'd mean the end for Lucas.
Phoenix07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 08-01-15, 09:56 AM   #61
Gazzla
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky Skills View Post

Have to agree.

I think people think he's uninspiring because of who he is, the fact he's English and not foreign.

Let's look at the positives from potentially signing him of which there are many.

Firstly all of the above. He brings a lot of energy and strength to the midfield as well as assisting the front players. He's a great all round player. Has lots of experience at the very highest level at City and would bring this with him if he were to move which also means he brings a strong, winning mentality with him.

Doesn't mind being a squad player as he doesn't always get opportunities at City but he seems to display a very good positive attitude which is what BR is looking for I'd have thought.

He can tackle, shoot, cross. Has some skills, decent feet and is comfortable on either side. Gets goals, is still relatively young as well.

I really can't see many negatives if any with this signing. I can't understand what everyone is getting so upset about. Yes, we'd all like the likes of Reus etc to join but realistically it's not going to happen.
He'll be 30 next season, hardly relatively young.

On the plus side he won't slow down with age as he makes Lambert look jet heeled. One of the dullest footballers I've ever seen
Old 08-01-15, 10:00 AM   #62
Tee
El Pistolero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix07 View Post
I'd have him here. Criminally underrated, and it'd give Rossiter and Williams time to develop.

Henderson, Can, Delph and Milner would give energy and a quick transition in our play from defence to attack. I can't see Rodgers selling Allen, but it'd mean the end for Lucas.
Once upon a time we used to sing about Alonso, Sissoko, Gerrard and Mascherano(ooooo)....... how times are changing.
Old 08-01-15, 10:05 AM   #63
Alex
Administrator

He's a winner, extremely versatile and will provide the experience that Gerrard leaving will need replacing.

I think he's a decent player.
Old 08-01-15, 10:10 AM   #64
Bender
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee View Post
Once upon a time we used to sing about Alonso, Sissoko, Gerrard and Mascherano(ooooo)....... how times are changing.
Limbo Land
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 10:13 AM   #65
Mattshark
Still Blames Thatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix07 View Post

We ain't going to win anything with that.

Delph should be no way near signing for us.
Mattshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 10:14 AM   #66
frank the tank
Shankly

i would be very very happy to have him in the team to be honest.....

as mentioned above, central midfielders of Henderson, Can, Lucas, Allen, Milner and Delph would be a very good squad. 3 of those starting each game would be solid. And to be honest, i think they are all flexible enough - with the exception of Lucas - to integrate with any other 2 of the players. Milner would bring experience and energy as well. When he was at Villa, he was excellent when played week-in, week-out. A midfield trio of Can, Henderson and Milner would have so much energy to get up and down the pitch, be solid defensively, but also join attacks effectively as well.

-------------------------------------NEW KEEPER-----------------------------------

FLANAGAN-----------NEW CB / SKRTEL------------SAKHO----------------MORENO

----------------HENDERSON----------EMRE CAN--------MILNER------------------

-----------------------------------COUTINHO--------------------------------------

-------------STURRIDGE--------------------------STERLING----------------------

Is a very good starting 11..
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 10:32 AM   #67
ronanm
Shankly

I like him. Very underrated. Getting on a bit admittedly.
Old 08-01-15, 10:42 AM   #68
Rowan
Shankly

So our midfield options could end up being Henderson, Can, Lucas, Allen, Delph and Milner

Old 08-01-15, 10:43 AM   #69
Reece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
So our midfield options could end up being Henderson, Can, Lucas, Allen, Delph and Milner

And Rossiter
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 11:28 AM   #70
Maxiedge
Shankly

If Milner is top of our wanted list then I should seriously consider giving up on supporting this club as their ambitions do not match mine. Different wavelengths. Either that or the transfer committee can fuck off.

I rate Milner as much as the next guy (good but not great) and understand what he brings to the team but there's no fucking chance he should be taking up so much head space with this fucking committee when there's so much talent out there to be targeted.
Maxiedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 11:35 AM   #71
Trippendicular
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxiedge View Post
If Milner is top of our wanted list then I should seriously consider giving up on supporting this club as their ambitions do not match mine. Different wavelengths. Either that or the transfer committee can fuck off.

I rate Milner as much as the next guy (good but not great) and understand what he brings to the team but there's no fucking chance he should be taking up so much head space with this fucking committee when there's so much talent out there to be targeted.
See you then.
Trippendicular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 11:59 AM   #72
Maxiedge
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippendicular View Post
See you then.
hilarious

I knew when I posted that I was leaving myself open to some wisecracks but I'm happy to lay it on the line and say this transfer committee business is an absolute shambles. They're fucking taking the piss out of you and me and the aspirations we have for this club. The sooner this mess is sorted out, the better.
Maxiedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 12:07 PM   #73
Tee
El Pistolero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxiedge View Post
I knew when I posted that I was leaving myself open to some wisecracks but I'm happy to lay it on the line and say this transfer committee business is an absolute shambles. They're fucking taking the piss out of you and me and the aspirations we have for this club. The sooner this mess is sorted out, the better.
Totally agree and understand where you are coming from.
Old 08-01-15, 12:07 PM   #74
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Poor cunt hasn't even had his picture taken in his jeans with a scarf above his head and fans are revolting
Old 08-01-15, 12:09 PM   #75
meffin
Officially the best insider on this forum. Ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbs View Post
Poor cunt hasn't even had his picture taken in his jeans with a scarf above his head and fans are revolting
Not even leaned against anything yet, poor sod
meffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 12:51 PM   #76
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

I can see why some find it uninspiring alright as we do need more quality and he shouldn't be our number 1 target.

IMO though Milner would make a great squad player. Versatile, fantastic work rate and has good distribution. Would have no problem with us getting him in, once we are in the market for other players of quality. Delph is average and should be nowhere near LFC.
Old 08-01-15, 12:52 PM   #77
RedRum
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricks_Berger View Post
Apart from being English and on a free- where are the similarities?
He's 29. I think that is when we signed Joe Cole but no similarities in football terms.

I heard reports Pellegrini is very keen to keep him round as a squad player. If he is valuable to the premier league winners then I see no reason why he wouldn't be to us.

Last edited by RedRum; 08-01-15 at 12:56 PM.
RedRum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 01:16 PM   #78
G
Paisley

I think he's a very good player and his versatility would be very useful, especially in a free. We need some big hitters brought in too though.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-15, 01:17 PM   #79
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

I'd take him. Unfashionable and uninspiring but he's a good player and would improve us.
Old 08-01-15, 01:20 PM   #80
Darkon
Football Expert

Is a no-brainer for me. We need some experience and good stable performance in midfield and he would get us that for the smallest possible transfer fee possible.

Milner is a good player, and would bring a good attitude with him
Darkon is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC